Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A bike is a poor replacement for a car. If you try and replace a car with a bike and make literally no other changes in you're life, you're going to have a bad time.

Who cares if I can only stick a couple of bottles of wine in my bag if I walk by the liquor store every day on my way home from work. Same with groceries etc. Live close to stuff, and you'll find it's easy to run your regular errands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

A bike is a poor replacement for a car. If you try and replace a car with a bike and make literally no other changes in you're life, you're going to have a bad time.

Who cares if I can only stick a couple of bottles of wine in my bag if I walk by the liquor store every day on my way home from work. Same with groceries etc. Live close to stuff, and you'll find it's easy to run your regular errands.

Granted, the question is if the changes you make are clearly that important. For example just ordering paper towels/boxes of wine/furniture online rather than driving out to Costco/whatever big box store. If anything the time and effort saved is probably worth more than what ever shipping/fees are involved. Well, to be honest, if I am on the train I am doing something semi-productive [email] as well if not outright working.

In reality it is pretty easy to live without a car, you just spent the time and effort on a car [like trying to find parking in any major metropolitan area] and use it elsewhere. Ultimately, the issue is that a lot of American cities just have such terrible non-car infrastructure because any alternative was purposefully destroyed for largely ideological reasons. There are probably about what half a dozen cities in the US you can get by without a car and they are almost consequently the ones with the highest competition for housing.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 28, 2016

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why the gently caress is this your problem? It's not, so quit loving thinking every single detail and trust the transporter to deliver the goods.

Jesus loving christ, it must be hell to work with you. You sound like you micro-manage every single loving small detail. I bet you're one of those people who puts two spaces after every period, aren't you?

Like christ maybe the transporter brings his kids, has them go in to buy and carry the goods out while he circles the block. Just because you aren't creative enough to find a solution doesn't mean that someone you're paying to get some poo poo done is as incapable as you.

Most good new parking policy aims to eliminate cruising like that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Eskaton posted:

Most good new parking policy aims to eliminate cruising like that.

Don't you see, though? Apparently we are trying to micromanage delivery people by providing them convenient ways to complete their job, or some such thing.

MIGF's proposed system of "having kids in the car to get out while the driver cruises" also suffers from the fact that, in the absence of parking, you have to stop in the middle of the street to load the kids and the cargo, which is a bad thing. But, I will concede to him, it is possible and we shouldn't mandate that couriers do things one way or the other :rolleyes:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Don't you see, though? Apparently we are trying to micromanage delivery people by providing them convenient ways to complete their job, or some such thing.

MIGF's proposed system of "having kids in the car to get out while the driver cruises" also suffers from the fact that, in the absence of parking, you have to stop in the middle of the street to load the kids and the cargo, which is a bad thing. But, I will concede to him, it is possible and we shouldn't mandate that couriers do things one way or the other :rolleyes:

And if they do that, you gently caress'n fine 'em for a moving violation and make some revenue for your community. Its win-win-win all around!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Ah yes, but if moving violations and parking tickets become a "cost of doing business" for couriers, then the costs will be passed on to the consumer, decreasing the attractiveness of using a delivery service compared to driving one's personal car and finding/paying for parking.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Ah yes, but if moving violations and parking tickets become a "cost of doing business" for couriers, then the costs will be passed on to the consumer, decreasing the attractiveness of using a delivery service compared to driving one's personal car and finding/paying for parking.

Who gives a poo poo, when your city has a revenue stream which it can use to fund greenscaping and public transit infrastructure?

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer
Noo transit thread, turn left and part in the commercial loading zone, don't keep circling the block :ohdear:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Cities are dogshit places to live and we oughta find a way to make suburbanism work.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Panzeh posted:

Cities are dogshit places to live and we oughta find a way to make suburbanism work.

2/10 troll. Why don't you go practice in the dem primary thread.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

My Imaginary GF posted:

Who gives a poo poo, when your city has a revenue stream which it can use to fund greenscaping and public transit infrastructure?

Lol, what revenue streams? The ones they sold to private enterprise for 75 years?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

RuanGacho posted:

Lol, what revenue streams? The ones they sold to private enterprise for 75 years?

Fines. See also: red-light cameras, speed-on-green cameras, speed traps in general, etc.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Funding a public transit system with traffic fines sounds like a terrible idea.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Badger of Basra posted:

Funding ... with traffic fines sounds like a terrible idea.

Fixed that for you.

Albany just had a "fun" case of this: the mayor pushed red light cameras through the city council by proposing a budget that depended on projected income from tickets related to them. Well, lo and behold, Albanians didn't run enough red lights, and it created a budget deficit that had to then be covered by the State.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

PT6A posted:

Fines. See also: red-light cameras, speed-on-green cameras, speed traps in general, etc.

Oh, shake-downs. Definitely how we want to fund infrastructure.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

redscare posted:

True. Taxes just aren't regressive enough.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's always the option of not breaking traffic law to escape the "shakedown".

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

There's always the option of not breaking traffic law to escape the "shakedown".

I'm sure all those black people in Ferguson were just rampant lawbreakers.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm sure all those black people in Ferguson were just rampant lawbreakers.

Didn't realize red light cameras were involved.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Fame Douglas posted:

Interestingly if you lool at the placement of red light cameras in this town, they are almost all in low income areas. They were once more mixed, but all the rich people complained and got rid of them.

Traffic laws disproportionally hurt the poor. If I make $10,000 per month, $200 is really no big deal. If I make $1,000 a month, that's a pretty huge slice of my income.
Further people in older cars and minorities are much more likely to get pulled over.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

redscare posted:

I think it's a horrible idea, I'm just pointing out that's what MIGF was talking about.

Fame Douglas posted:

The problem with fixed cameras is they don't discourage breaking traffic laws in general, only in the specific places where practically everyone knows they are. God bless my city for embracing them wholeheartedly, it's made it possible for me to speed almost everywhere and never get a speeding ticket.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Red light cameras are infamous for being rigged to screw people over and don't add any safety benefit. Most cities in Southern California have gotten rid of theirs (LA included).

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

redscare posted:

Don't wanna risk a shake-down? Walk more, drive illegally less.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

redscare posted:

Red light cameras are infamous for being rigged to screw people over and don't add any safety benefit. Most cities in Southern California have gotten rid of theirs (LA included).

So if there's no safety benefit, why have any red lights at all?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fame Douglas posted:

To make some gently caress'n money, stupid.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Fame Douglas posted:

:homebrew:

Basically just for the money.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Recently I'm watching a nearby city vote a parks bond down because "traffic is bad and we need to invest in infrastructure instead" and then also squawking that the city needs to fix it, especially the two state owned roads that go through town "without raising our taxes".

This is a city with a total operating budget of about 13.5 million a year. :psyduck:

For perspective, the average basic road project of " add sidewalks, resurface, underground utility polls, maintain proper water penetration facilities and add a median to a quarter mile stretch of road" is around $20 million

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Fame Douglas posted:

Red light cameras are likely very cost-effective enforcement for local police departments. Instead of having a patrolman babysit a problematic intersection during busy times, the camera is always 'on duty' and can bust a violator any time of the day. I'm also pretty sure people are less likely to try to fight the ticket since it will show a photograph of the offender in their vehicle, with the license plate in full view.

Another big problem with red light cameras is conflict of interest, in my opinion. See, the company that licenses the equipment to the police agencies gets a cut of all the fines levied from the cameras. So money is definitely a big motivator here.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

I don't know if you're obtuse or just trolling, but for the sake of everyone else, what they found was that while accidents caused by people running red lights decreased, rear end accidents increased due to people slamming their brakes at the last minute to avoid the ticket. There was also a huge shakedown aspect with most cities setting theirs to be overly sensitive for right turns on red.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Replace intersections with roundabouts problem solved

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

I'm also pretty sure people are less likely to try to fight the ticket since it will show a photograph of the offender in their vehicle, with the license plate in full view.

They're actually unconstitutional and easy as gently caress to fight. People basically ran interference for as long as possible here until the missouri supreme court banned them for violating a bunch of amendments.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Peven Stan posted:

They're actually unconstitutional and easy as gently caress to fight. People basically ran interference for as long as possible here until the missouri supreme court banned them for violating a bunch of amendments.

As an unironic and serious question: What amendments do they end up violating? Like, I am trying to think here, and all the usual suspects don't seem to apply in a wholly public space, with publicly visible plates and windows that you'd have no reasonable expectation of not being seen through.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Moinkmaster posted:

As an unironic and serious question: What amendments do they end up violating? Like, I am trying to think here, and all the usual suspects don't seem to apply in a wholly public space, with publicly visible plates and windows that you'd have no reasonable expectation of not being seen through.

Generally some state version of the confrontation clause. I don't think they're generally found federally unconstitutional, but state unconstitutional.
It is kind of bullshit because the guy who set up the camera doesn't testify and the entire ticket is based on the assumption the camera only fired after the light went red as they rarely show the light itself.
It places the burden on the defendant to prove it didn't work correctly, which will generally cost more than paying the ticket.
This isn't just idle. In San Deigo some cameras were firing in green and it was only discovered because some rich dude fought it on principle. If you're pior or middle class, you're not hiring expert witnesses to fight a loving traffic ticket.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Panzeh posted:

Suburbs are okay, it's sprawly car-dependent suburbs that suck. Plenty of places in the world that have little suburban towns that are still walkable, with good commuter transit to a major city.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 1, 2016

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cicero posted:

Suburbs are okay, it's sprawly car-dependent suburbs that suck. Plenty of places in the world that have little suburban towns that are still walkable, with good commuter transit to a major city.

Commuter suburbs organized around their heavy rail to Chicago are very gently caress'n nice still.

Expand the Electric to Kankakee, I say, and bring METRA up to Madison.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
hey everyone sorry I've been slacking on these, but I found out my 171-year-old West Philly house is being torn down for more ugly UPenn student apartments, because gently caress history, right? ain't been easy finding an equivalent quality house, which is affordable, in the same area... :shepicide:

ugh, so

7:25 AM, South Philadelphia, on a Friday

The Gang, sans Mac, sits at Paddy's.

ENTER Mac.

MAC: I finally tried to use Paddy's Dollars at the TGI Friday's in Fox Chase and it worked man!

DEE: Those are regular dollars with a leprechaun sticker on them.

DENNIS: Shut up Dee! How are we going to get our Paddy's Dollars back from Fox Chase though?

FRANK: I got it!

MAC: What?

FRANK: I'll buy a railbus!

Unusual for many commuter rail systems in the world, SEPTA has several lines which begin and end within the city limits of Philadelphia. These are the Chestnut Hill West Line, the Chestnut Hill East Line, the Cynwyd Line, and the Fox Chase Line. (and the Airport line, depending on your interpretation.)

The Fox Chase Line was originally owned by the Reading Railroad. It runs 12.4 miles to Fox Chase, and never leaves the city limits.

Prior to 1983, the service went another 15.4 miles to the town of Newtown. It was called Newtown because when it was founded, it was new, I guess. Originality is not the hallmark of Pennsylvanianans.

This area has grown considerably since the 80s, and while it's served by two other commuter lines, the Newtown segment is gone? How did that happen?

Welp, as mentioned in the last post, when SEPTA was created, the late, great Frank Rizzo secured federal funding for the Center City Commuter Connection, a tunnel linking the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Reading Railroad commuter lines. To save money, it included no ventilation stacks for diesel locomotives.

The Newtown Line, north of Fox Chase, had no electric catenary. Budd built Rail Diesel Cars (RDCs) operated north of Fox Chase at a reduced schedule, as had been the case since steam trains had been replaced. Passengers transferred to electric trains at Fox Chase:

This wasn't an ideal set up, but it worked for many years. Most Reading RDC trains, since they traveled long distances, had restrooms, and also snack bars which served alcoholic beverages -- you could get piss drunk on your commute home instead of waiting until you got there. What's not to like?

This all worked fine until the creation of Conrail in 1976.

Conrail was a government-subsidized attempt to bring life back into the shambling hulk that was the Penn Central. The idea was this: if merging three failing railroads together made a huge loving mess, then surely merging seven more in would solve all the problems!

Thus the Penn Central (itself a merger of the Pennsylvania Railroad, the New York Central railroad, and the New York, New Haven, & Hartford Railroad) merged with the Erie Lackawanna (itself a merger of the Delaware, Lackawanna, & Western and the Erie Railroad), the Ann Arbor Railroad, the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad, the Central Railroad of New Jersey, the Lehigh & Hudson Railroad, the Lehigh Valley Railroad, and a huge array of assorted short lines were merged into the behemoth Consolidated Railroad Corporation, or Conrail. The gimmick this time around was that only certain lines of each railroad would be taken over, and others would be abandoned or sold to the states under a master plan.

it didn't work

This created a bizarre situation for SEPTA and several other fledgling transit agencies (New Jersey Transit, Metro North, and MARC, especially) -- most had been previously running trains under contract with the various railroads in a subsidy format, if they existed at all. (i.e. SEPTA contracted the Philadelphia & Reading to run a train from Reading to Philadelphia, rather than run the trains using their own employees and equipment.) Now, they found themselves running trains under contract with Conrail over tracks that they owned themselves -- as was the case with the Newtown Line.

The entire Newtown Line had been transferred to SEPTA in 1976. Conrail was given permission to exit the commuter rail business by 1983 by the Reagan administration. SEPTA outright ended service to Reading and Bethlehem and Newark NJ early on -- those counties did not wish to provide financial support. However, Bucks County, PA, was still in the game, and thus the diesel Newtown line had to stay.

So begins the saga of "Newtown Rapid Transit."

In anticipation of the Conrail exit in 1983, in 1981 SEPTA gave their city transit workers from the Broad Street Line a 6-week training course, and had them run trains on the Newtown Line north of Fox Chase. Conrail crews would continue to run electric trains south of Fox Chase to center city Philadelphia. Service was increased from four round trips to eight round trips per day, owing to the savings incurred by having lower-paid city transit workers, and the lack of conductors on the trains north of Fox Chase.

Unfortunately, Conrail crews, represented by the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen, did not like city transit personnel, represented by the Transit Workers Union, muscling in on their territory. There was retaliation. Conrail crews would deliberately leave Fox Chase moments before trains from Newtown arrived to make a connection. They protested -- the first day of operations resulted in a whole train cancelled and a second being 30 minutes late due to BLET protests, in which six engineers were arrested. The whole operation was seen by BLET as a bargaining chip for SEPTA -- railroad crews were not necessary for commuter rail, only lower-paid city transit personnel were, in SEPTA's mind, so BLET set out to prove them wrong.

This was SEPTA's first foray into actually operating a railroad, so of course they just doubled down and ignored the protests. Conrail crews refused to maintain the RDC units, so city transit personnel were instructed by management to just feed more oil into them until they sounded good. Fifteen of 17 RDCs were out of service by the end of the first year. The new single-car trains of RDCs also wouldn't trigger grade crossing gates -- resulting in a deadly accident when one of the two operable SEPTA RDCs crashed into a tanker truck.

(Conrail, of course, had only operated two-car trains because they were aware of the problem,.)

Combined with the RDC's lack of air conditioning, and the transfer at Fox Chase which only worked half the time, commuters fled the line in droves for the nearby and more convenient West Trenton and Warminster lines which offered a one-seat ride to center city.

The last train from Newtown arrived at Fox Chase January 14, 1983. It made the trip back to Newtown, where the brakes failed and it overran the station. It was taken out of service, and a shuttle bus ran on the Newtown line forever after.

Sort of.

Plans to restore service cheaply circulated for a long time afterward -- especially after SEPTA took over all electric service in 1983, and irate Conrail crews were out of the picture. (SEPTA crews were still represented by BLET, however, and followed their rules for how many crewmembers should be on each train. Turns out you can't train city transit workers to run on a 6-track high speed main line in only six weeks...)

So SEPTA wanted cheap, modern equipment to run the line. So they went to the only railroad with a well-funded R&D department in the same dire financial straits as them:

This is a British Leyland Railbus. It is a British Leyland bus, mounted on a British Rail freight car chassis, with some tweaks to the transmission. If you follow the Trainchat (or Locomotive Insanity in AI, I forget which) thread, you'll know that this is the only thing which is actually worse than a Pacer.
(EDIT: Axeman Jim talks about the Pacer and the British Leyland Railbus in Automotive Insanity.)

It is shown here at Huntington Valley, PA, in September of 1985. Tests were run several times, but to SEPTA's credit, they had higher standards than the Brits and thought the ride was just too rough to justify purchasing the units. This railbus was never used in revenue service, and instead toured the US, where every other transit agency also rejected it because the ride was too rough, and it also did not comply with FRA standards for crashworthiness. It now sits forlornly in the Connecticut Trolley Museum, their only piece of diesel equipment.

Newtown service was never restored -- today it is a rail trail. Though SEPTA still owns the right-of-way, there are no plans to reactivate the line at any point in the future, despite the explosion in growth in the areas it serves.

donoteat fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 1, 2016

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Moinkmaster posted:

The cameras here only captured plates so they would send you a letter in the mail asking you if you were the driver along with the ticket. If you marked "no" they'd send you another letter asking you to point the finger at the real driver, which is a 5th amendment violation against self recrimination.

That and the inability to confront accusers tanked the cameras here. There will probably be a ballot proposal in the future sponsored by rurals to ban them since they hate people like MIGF on a cultural level.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cicero posted:

Those ones are way too expensive for actual working class people to live in, much like everything else in the cities.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Panzeh posted:

Those ones are way too expensive for actual working class people to live in, much like everything else in the cities.

It depends on how badly white flight blew up a city. Detroit/St. Louis tier cities actually have extremely cheap urban real estate with the wealth being concentrated in the formerly whites only suburbs. It's far more expensive to rent an apartment in the automobile suburbs here (the white ones at least) than it would be to rent one in the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Panzeh posted:

That's because we have like five of them total so they're just as in demand. If most suburbs were built that way they wouldn't be so expensive to live in.

• Locked thread