Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Toxxupation posted:

When did loving Mystique become the lynchpin of the X-Men Cinematic Universe? I mean, I get it, they only got the X-Men so on some level they're playing with less than a full hand of decent superheroes, but on the other she's loving Mystique. She can look like other people and that's it. Great for comics storytelling in that she's got a lot of power to dictate storylines, but she's bad in movies because they're punchfests and all she can do is look like somebody else.

She is acted by Jennifer Lawrence

That's literally it

I thought we all knew this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
When her actress got popular.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

AnonSpore posted:

She is acted by Jennifer Lawrence

That's literally it

I thought we all knew this

I'm just surprised they haven't done a Jubilee/Dazzler-like expansion of her powers to keep her in line with her increased focus.

ed: And even in X-Men 1/2/3 Mystique was a big focus, so I don't think that's true. She was basically Magneto's top lieutenant even in the original trilogy. It's just weird that Fox has always made Mystique this big deal but never really gave her any other powers to compensate for how little fighting power she actually has.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 29, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They just did the same thing the original trilogy did, made her weirdly athletic and good at punching. They don't really need anything else.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Toxxupation posted:

I'm just surprised they haven't done a Jubilee/Dazzler-like expansion of her powers to keep her in line with her increased focus.

Her power seems to come tied with superhuman dexterity so she can do flips and leg holds and poo poo. They'll probably go the comics route and let her grow adamantium claws, wings, etc instead of just changing what she physically looks like.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Mystique is also a fairly popular comics character decades after her introduction. It's not like we're talking about making Amp the focus of the movies because she happens to be played by a good and popular actor.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

When did loving Mystique become the lynchpin of the X-Men Cinematic Universe? I mean, I get it, they only got the X-Men so on some level they're playing with less than a full hand of decent superheroes, but on the other she's loving Mystique. She can look like other people and that's it. Great for comics storytelling in that she's got a lot of power to dictate storylines, but she's bad in movies because they're punchfests and all she can do is look like somebody else.

Oh poo poo Mystique's here! Better be super concerned about her over diamond-lady mind-destroyer, whatever crazy collection of abilities the current version of the Phoenix has, the teenage girl who can be anybody else's powers, or the lady that can control the weather!

She's a naked blue lady

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
She no longer appears to be naked. So there's some progress, at least.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So, uh, on the other end of the table, I'm not sure if this has been brought up but holy mother of gently caress the Killing Joke movie looks awful

e: seriously good loving lord, how low-budget is DC's animation stuff? It looks like a Newgrounds flash.

I don't think it looks that bad, but something I saw somewhere was that it was supposed to have a lot of the feel of 90s-era animation. In some ways it makes me think of very high grade Liquid Television shorts from the 90s.

It's sort of a strange compliment to make, but intentionally trying to evoke an animation feel and style of the era when Killing Joke was made and was gaining popular seems actually sort of interesting to me.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If they were really serious about that they wouldn't have digital art and CGI vehicles.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

McSpanky posted:

If they were really serious about that they wouldn't have digital art and CGI vehicles.

Even on that front, I seemed to recall the 90s did feature a lot of early attempts at incorporating CG assisted stuff into traditional animation. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but didn't that DTV Batman/Mr. Freeze cartoon have it?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I remember showing my dad the first Singer X-Men years back, and upon seeing Mystique he just remarked "Wow. In my day we were lucky to have Linda Carter!"

e: Also, "what's the big deal about this guy with the knives in his hands. The one with the laser eyes would be way more helpful in a fight."

Omnomnomnivore fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 29, 2016

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Wanna' meet that dad.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Saw Civil War. It was very good. Probably in my Marvel Top 3 (along with Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy). My girlfriend who has seen nothing but the first half of the First Avenger movie loved it as well.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I guess I have to take it back. Captain America is a pretty American movie about fighting UN mandates and dodging responsibility.

e: I'll just quote a fellow Nordic:

Cakebaker posted:

Yeah it took all of one day after the premiere here in Sweden before friends started linking right wing articles on facebook about how the left wants to hold Cap back (literally. There's an article presenting the Marvel universe as real and saying that the Social Democrats, which is part of the left coalition, would totally be on Starks side because they are lame and hate exceptional people).

Personally I'm not sure that's the position presented in the movie. Superficially it is shown that Captain America is right about pretty much everything, but the superheroes are also depicted as quarreling children who seem incapable of understanding or take responsibility for their own powers. The whole airport scene is the most ridiculous and joke-filled section of the movie.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 29, 2016

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Spider-Man was fantastic.

"Hey guys, you remember that really old movie The Empire Strikes Back?"

Veotax fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 29, 2016

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

if i was a superhero i doubt id give a gently caress about the UN either

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Quicksilver is so fast he stole Avalanche's costume without him knowing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CharlestheHammer posted:

They just did the same thing the original trilogy did, made her weirdly athletic and good at punching. They don't really need anything else.

Yeah, as early as the first movie she was able to fight Wolverine and not immediately die. I'm a bit confused about her prominence in the new movies as well though, should have been Sabretooth. Movie's the same overall, but instead of a naked blue child Xavier finds Sabretooth in his kitchen.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Veotax posted:

Spider-Man was fantastic.

Man I wish quoting something wouldn't reveal the spoiler to you hah. So I'm trying to stay as spoiler free as possible, how much is Spider-Man in it? I remember when they first got the green light they basically intimated that it was too late to put him into much of the story. How integral is he to the actual civil war outside of another combatant?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They've said since that they actually wrote it with Iron Man and Spidey, and if either had said no they were pretty hosed.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Oh poo poo Mystique's here! Better be super concerned about her over diamond-lady mind-destroyer, whatever crazy collection of abilities the current version of the Phoenix has, the teenage girl who can be anybody else's powers, or the lady that can control the weather!

Mystique is willing to use a gun and therefore is more powerful than 75% of the other X-Men and mutants in general.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they were casting First Class today they'd probably be trying to get her for Emma Frost or something instead of Mystique though.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

If they were casting First Class today they'd probably be trying to get her for Emma Frost or something instead of Mystique though.

gently caress, that would've been so much better.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I am the one, I liked January Jones as Emma Frost.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Comfortador posted:

Man I wish quoting something wouldn't reveal the spoiler to you hah. So I'm trying to stay as spoiler free as possible, how much is Spider-Man in it? I remember when they first got the green light they basically intimated that it was too late to put him into much of the story. How integral is he to the actual civil war outside of another combatant?

Minor spoilers regrading Spider-Man's in Civil War: Both Spidey and Ant-Man are mostly there for the airport fight, but since he hasn't had a movie to introduce him Pete gets a recruitment scene that tells you what his deal is (in pretty vague terms, he doesn't recite his origin or anything).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

I am the one, I liked January Jones as Emma Frost.

This is where you guys come forward and go "naw man, she was alright!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're on your own on this one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

You're on your own on this one.

Yup. She was awful. Emma Frost should not be dull. I'd say she only displayed one emotion in that movie but that'd be giving Jones too much credit. J-Law would've been way better. gently caress, stick McAvoy in the corset and he'd have been more convincing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5kYDdFQ8z4

Are these dirtbags somebodies wherever this ad comes from?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 29, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

This is where you guys come forward and go "naw man, she was alright!"

I don't think so Tim.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Veotax posted:

Minor spoilers regrading Spider-Man's in Civil War: Both Spidey and Ant-Man are mostly there for the airport fight, but since he hasn't had a movie to introduce him Pete gets a recruitment scene that tells you what his deal is (in pretty vague terms, he doesn't recite his origin or anything).

So your answer to my question where I ask for spoiler free info is nothing but a spoiler and it doesn't really answer my question either? :negative:

Help a brotha out!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Comfortador posted:

So your answer to my question where I ask for spoiler free info is nothing but a spoiler and it doesn't really answer my question either? :negative:

Help a brotha out!

2 scenes, probably about 5-10 minutes. (haven't seen it just guessing from spoilers)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
More than 10.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

2 scenes, probably about 5-10 minutes. (haven't seen it just guessing from spoilers)

1 talky scene, and then the action set-piece from the trailers. The action scene is pretty long though, so prolly more like 20 mins total. (Spidey's obviously not in every single second of the fight, but he is a featured part.)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Spidey is in the film for around 20 minutes total, that's as both in and out of costume. He apparently is not very important to the overarching plot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a new (to Americans :smith: ) BP clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPDqb45P2Mg

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
T'Challa's gonna be fighting Bucky for like 70% of the movie :allears:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Am I bad person for wanting to see this movie more for Black Panther and Spidey than for titular hero Captain America? I love Chris Evans' Cap, but drat, this is so exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not a bad person but probably one that's going to be let down. They're minor characters.

• Locked thread