Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jastiger posted:

What is the best route to go with upgrades for most folks? Is refined always going to be better than RAW or is there a specific path we should be following?

Depends on your stats and whatever weapon you're going to use. Heavy is STR, Sharp is DEX, Refined is both, Raw is neither, etc. There's never any all-purpose solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Depends on the weapon. The rear end is raw, the dsord is heavy, everything else can go heavy, or refined if you feel like wasting an extra 15 points to get 27/40

I've literally never touched a dex weapon so idk about them

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Jastiger posted:

What is the best route to go with upgrades for most folks? Is refined always going to be better than RAW or is there a specific path we should be following?

If you're planning to increase strength/dex beyond the minimum requirements for a weapon then outside of a few weapons, mostly weapons that are effectively purely strength weapons like ultra greatswords and hammers, refined is almost always better than heavy/sharp because of weirdness that I don't really fully understand. If you're going a sorcery/pyromancy/miracles build then raw is almost always going to be better than the other choices since you can buff raw weapons but not elemental infused ones that would scale off your stats.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Basically:
  • Want to use a weapon without increasing Strength or Dexterity beyond what it takes to wield it? You want Raw. This increases the base damage but removes the scaling. In the early game, it's also a good call, because at low stats, scaling probably isn't going to beat Raw. The only way you should stick with Raw beyond mid-game is if you're playing a magic build and just want a physical weapon you can use a buff spell like Great Magic Weapon on.
  • Want to be a pure Strength build? Pick a nice, heavy weapon with good inherent Strength scaling and make that poo poo Heavy. By the time you have 20-25 Strength, this'll beat Raw, and by the time you have 40 Strength, it'll be way better than Raw.
  • Want to be a pure Dexterity build? Pick one of the few weapons with great inherent Dexterity scaling and make it Sharp. Same thing applies: once you have a good amount of Dexterity, this'll beat Raw for most light, fast weapons.
  • Figure what the hell, let's just increase both Strength and Dexterity, why not? Then make your weapon Refined. That's going to lower the base damage more than Heavy or Sharp will, but it evens out the Strength and Dexterity scaling and increases both. Lots of weapons are fantastic Refined, and it's easily the best choice if you decide you want high Strength and Dexterity together.
Everything else is more specialized. Luck builds want Hollow, for example. Sorcerers who aren't buffing want Crystal, miracle-users who aren't buffing want Lightning, pyromancers who aren't buffing want Chaos (or Dark, but Chaos does fire damage which is more useful than dark damage). Fire and Deep infusions don't scale but are useful in the early- to mid-game for the same reasons Raw can be. Don't use Simple or Blessed on a weapon you actually want to deal damage with, both suck for damage pretty hard.

Also, all of the above is subject to change based on the weapon. Some weapons have high base damage and lovely scaling no matter what you do and so Raw is disproportionately good on them, like the Astora Straight Sword. Some weapons just suck rear end if you make them Sharp, like the Longsword. Some weapons are barely any better Refined than Sharp even with 40 Strength/40 Dexterity, like the Gotthard Twinswords.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

What's with the red eyed lothric knights with blue capes? Are they ranking? Do they drop the blue capes?

Wanna blue cape.

allegedly they dictate faction. there was some sort of civil war going on.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

As far as Raw weapons go, I would recommend either the Astora Straight Sword or the Drakeblood Greatsword. Both have relatively low base stat requirements, decent AR at +10 Raw, and good movesets.

Kild posted:

allegedly they dictate faction. there was some sort of civil war going on.

That makes sense, actually. I assume that the blue ones were on the side of Oceiros and Gertrude, while the red ones were rebelling against the apparent heresy involved in the worship of the "angels" (the Primordial Serpents).

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 29, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ah ok gotcha. My stats are only around the 18 mark for STR and DEX so i'm not really going over the minimums (What are the minimums??)

Harrow posted:

Basically:
  • Want to use a weapon without increasing Strength or Dexterity beyond what it takes to wield it? You want Raw. This increases the base damage but removes the scaling. In the early game, it's also a good call, because at low stats, scaling probably isn't going to beat Raw. The only way you should stick with Raw beyond mid-game is if you're playing a magic build and just want a physical weapon you can use a buff spell like Great Magic Weapon on.
  • Want to be a pure Strength build? Pick a nice, heavy weapon with good inherent Strength scaling and make that poo poo Heavy. By the time you have 20-25 Strength, this'll beat Raw, and by the time you have 40 Strength, it'll be way better than Raw.
  • Want to be a pure Dexterity build? Pick one of the few weapons with great inherent Dexterity scaling and make it Sharp. Same thing applies: once you have a good amount of Dexterity, this'll beat Raw for most light, fast weapons.
  • Figure what the hell, let's just increase both Strength and Dexterity, why not? Then make your weapon Refined. That's going to lower the base damage more than Heavy or Sharp will, but it evens out the Strength and Dexterity scaling and increases both. Lots of weapons are fantastic Refined, and it's easily the best choice if you decide you want high Strength and Dexterity together.
Everything else is more specialized. Luck builds want Hollow, for example. Sorcerers who aren't buffing want Crystal, miracle-users who aren't buffing want Lightning, pyromancers who aren't buffing want Chaos (or Dark, but Chaos does fire damage which is more useful than dark damage). Fire and Deep infusions don't scale but are useful in the early- to mid-game for the same reasons Raw can be.

Ah excellent post, thanks! I'm
still kinda low on soul levels, just cleared the Abyss Watchers at SL I think 30 or so. I have been raising STR and DEX the same but I think I'm beginning to favor STR over DEX simply because of the weapons I've found, and in previous games DEX builds tend to be.....underwhelming.

Right now I"M using the Irithyll Straight Sword +1 and I'm finding the damage to be under whelming when I see others with rapiers or what not cranking out WAY more damage (And staggering opponetns more). I'm trying to figure out which direction to go. Whether to upgrade with my twinkling on THIS sword, or break off and start upgrading my Longsword/Dark Sword.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What's the quickest way to get a tongue to respec? My build is terrible for pvp and I want to respec back to using giant weapons because I'm bored of straight swords and throwing fire balls.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I am missing so many things in this game it's not funny. Apparently I completely missed the opportunity to join a faction in Undead Settlement? I just got to Halfway Fortress.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

What's the quickest way to get a tongue to respec? My build is terrible for pvp and I want to respec back to using giant weapons because I'm bored of straight swords and throwing fire balls.

There's two Tongues in the Cathedral of the Deep. The one that's easiest to get that I know of is in the upper level of the outdoor part of the Cathedral that you get to via the elevator. It's at the very end of the walkway, guarded by one of the Thralls.

Capsaicin posted:

I am missing so many things in this game it's not funny. Apparently I completely missed the opportunity to join a faction in Undead Settlement? I just got to Halfway Fortress.

You get a chance to join that covenant again late in the game if you aid Sirris in her full questline. (Do not join the covenant in the Cathedral of the Deep if you want this chance.) It's a loving cryptic-rear end covenant to join early on, so don't worry about missing it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Ah ok gotcha. My stats are only around the 18 mark for STR and DEX so i'm not really going over the minimums (What are the minimums??)

Ah excellent post, thanks! I'm
still kinda low on soul levels, just cleared the Abyss Watchers at SL I think 30 or so. I have been raising STR and DEX the same but I think I'm beginning to favor STR over DEX simply because of the weapons I've found, and in previous games DEX builds tend to be.....underwhelming.

Right now I"M using the Irithyll Straight Sword +1 and I'm finding the damage to be under whelming when I see others with rapiers or what not cranking out WAY more damage (And staggering opponetns more). I'm trying to figure out which direction to go. Whether to upgrade with my twinkling on THIS sword, or break off and start upgrading my Longsword/Dark Sword.

The minimums we're talking about are the base stats required to wield a weapon. Like, the Dark Sword requires 16 Strength and 15 Dexterity to wield it without penalties, so those are the minimums in that case.

Also, the Heavy or Refined Dark Sword is insanely good, just really stupid good, probably the best PvE weapon in the whole game.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Harrow posted:

Also, the Heavy Dark Sword is insanely good, just really stupid good, probably the best PvE weapon in the whole game.

er, wasn't that just nerfed? My Heavy Dark Sword last night felt like did lower damage and I couldn't swing it as many times as I could pre-patch. I'm actually looking for a good alternative (32 str, 18 dex).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wildtortilla posted:

Kill darkwraiths by the AW bonfire.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

pmchem posted:

er, wasn't that just nerfed? My Heavy Dark Sword last night felt like did lower damage and I couldn't swing it as many times as I could pre-patch. I'm actually looking for a good alternative (32 str, 18 dex).

Was it? I saw that the stamina consumption was increased a little but nobody was reporting the damage being lowered.

If it was nerfed that badly, though, then scratch my comment about the Dark Sword and apply it to the Estoc instead :v:

Spanish Manlove posted:

Kill darkwraiths by the AW bonfire.

How often do they drop Pale Tongues? I'd kind of like another but I don't really want to invade because this character is a bluecop and I don't want to do anything unrighteous :colbert:

But also I probably won't need to respec again until NG+ and I can just grab the tongues on the way to the Cathedral then so if it's a super rare drop it's not a big deal.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Harrow posted:

Basically:
Everything else is more specialized. Luck builds want Hollow, for example. Sorcerers who aren't buffing want Crystal, miracle-users who aren't buffing want Lightning, pyromancers who aren't buffing want Chaos (or Dark, but Chaos does fire damage which is more useful than dark damage). Fire and Deep infusions don't scale but are useful in the early- to mid-game for the same reasons Raw can be. Don't use Simple or Blessed on a weapon you actually want to deal damage with, both suck for damage pretty hard.

Also, all of the above is subject to change based on the weapon. Some weapons have high base damage and lovely scaling no matter what you do and so Raw is disproportionately good on them, like the Astora Straight Sword. Some weapons just suck rear end if you make them Sharp, like the Longsword. Some weapons are barely any better Refined than Sharp even with 40 Strength/40 Dexterity, like the Gotthard Twinswords.

To add to this, when youre going elemental build try to keep multiple elemental options open to yourself. Going pure magic damage through sorcery is bad because a few bosses are really resistant to it. This turns your options to either physical, fire or dark. In practice what this meant for me was that i needed a staff that was good casting dark magic, pyro hand, and a staff good at casting regular sorcery.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

Was it? I saw that the stamina consumption was increased a little but nobody was reporting the damage being lowered.

If it was nerfed that badly, though, then scratch my comment about the Dark Sword and apply it to the Estoc instead :v:

I started as an Assassin and have an Estoc. I found the damage to be REALLY REALLY BAD when fighting the firxt Iudex dude. Is it really that good a weapon?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Theres a tongue past where you fight the fire demon w/ Siegward

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jastiger posted:

I started as an Assassin and have an Estoc. I found the damage to be REALLY REALLY BAD when fighting the firxt Iudex dude. Is it really that good a weapon?

It is a very, very good weapon. Maybe the best PvP weapon in the game right now and versatile and strong enough to be good in PvE, too. Maybe it starts weak against Iudex, but I don't know, I haven't done an Assassin start yet. It's useful for its range and moveset more than its damage, but its damage is good enough to keep up for sure.

I'm not sure if it would be better Refined or Sharp, but you can preview its damage with infusions before you decide in the infusion menu.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Is it just me or are a disproportionate amount of the transposed weapons huge and slow? I want to make more because they always look cooler than any of the standard ones but I already have several greatswords that seem completely useless compared to my broadsword.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jastiger posted:

It's a very good weapon. Stick with using one-handed R1s and spam that poo poo until you need to dodge.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Is it true using the Separation Crystal too much will get you softbanned?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Btw the Sunlight Straight Sword gets B/B if you slab it. Normally that's where the fun ends, but wait; there's more! You can ~charge~ both 1hR2 and 2hr2 to feint in pvp, and the charging ups the damage. I went from around 300 to 520 when I fully charged it and slapped Lightning blade on it. On another player. Dark moon Blade has the same 30 fth requirement so you can really have a flexible weapon. Only downside is that you have to really spec for it. 25 faith + clerics ring, 39 dex, 24 str, vigor to taste. With starting endurance you get 5 swings of R1.

With the sage ring you can combo parries into great lighting spears for stylish kills 😁 Ripostes will always do more though unless you get mad faith. 51 faith doesn't come close to being better than 24/39, and treating lightning blade as a barely buff on your quality weapon helps a lot.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So I just got Yoel killed. I didn't kill him mind.

I got to undead settlement on a new character, as I make my way to the dogs I get invaded by a purple guy. He leads me and my blue sentinel buddy across the entire settlement - started at the dogs, ended killing him outside the curserotten boss because the coward had a sliver of health left and was hoping the level'd kill us.

When I finally make my way back picking up all the loot I missed in the chase, I get a random bundle of souls when I get to the dogs. And Yoel is no-where to be found.

Nearest I can tell, he fell through the floor when the area loaded again. For fucks sake FROM, I wanted Yuria's ending.

Time to restart I guess.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

HGH posted:

Is it true using the Separation Crystal too much will get you softbanned?

I haven't heard of anything like that, no. It's supposedly disconnecting via plugpulls or ALT + F4s that will get you softbanned.

double nine posted:

Nearest I can tell, he fell through the floor when the area loaded again. For fucks sake FROM, I wanted Yuria's ending.

They've got some loving bizarre load triggers in this game. I got invaded by Tsorig just before the bridge and hit it to cause all of the skeletons to tumble off, but couldn't get him to step on it in time. I shrugged, walked towards Wolnir's door... and got the "INVADER BANISHED" message and the ring. I can only assume passing over to Wolnir's area unloaded all of the terrain before the bridge and sent him plummeting to his death.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

It is a very, very good weapon. Maybe the best PvP weapon in the game right now and versatile and strong enough to be good in PvE, too. Maybe it starts weak against Iudex, but I don't know, I haven't done an Assassin start yet. It's useful for its range and moveset more than its damage, but its damage is good enough to keep up for sure.

I'm not sure if it would be better Refined or Sharp, but you can preview its damage with infusions before you decide in the infusion menu.

Maybe i'll give it a shot. I was using it and then fell in love with the longsword move set, but...i the irithyll seems to be under whelming as far as damage and staggar.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Maybe i'll give it a shot. I was using it and then fell in love with the longsword move set, but...i the irithyll seems to be under whelming as far as damage and staggar.

Longsword is better than the Irithyll sword in the long run, I'm pretty sure. You could stick with a Refined Longsword the whole game and to juuuuuust fine.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Ithiryll Straight Sword is good at looking cool, and bad at actually dealing damage. Any other straight sword will do you much better in the long run.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well it says it does 35 frost damage, right? I"ve NEVER seen anything get frostbitten by it. I can't tell if its doing any extra damage or not.

I just upgraded the ESTOC and I'm about to gem it up, but I don't have a sharp gem..so..maybe I"ll just leave it be for now. My STR and DEX are 17 which is higher than the requirements, but I note DEX is the focus here, so...i'll just keep boostin em. I should probably get my endurance up a bit higher than 15 so i can swing more though, heh.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe I didn't notice this before, but you know those jumpscare corpses in the Dungeon?

They aren't actually dead when you loot them :stare: Look closely and you'll see them breathing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Well it says it does 35 frost damage, right? I"ve NEVER seen anything get frostbitten by it. I can't tell if its doing any extra damage or not.

I just upgraded the ESTOC and I'm about to gem it up, but I don't have a sharp gem..so..maybe I"ll just leave it be for now. My STR and DEX are 17 which is higher than the requirements, but I note DEX is the focus here, so...i'll just keep boostin em. I should probably get my endurance up a bit higher than 15 so i can swing more though, heh.

Frostbite deals some immediate damage, lowers damage absorption, and lowers Stamina regeneration. It's not really that great against the majority of monsters (because you usually want to kill them well before Frostbite will ever take effect), and you'll rarely have the opportunity to apply it fast enough to most bosses for it to make a difference (as there's no stat that increases the application rate, unlike Bleed).

Your Computer posted:

I can't believe I didn't notice this before, but you know those jumpscare corpses in the Dungeon?

They aren't actually dead when you loot them :stare: Look closely and you'll see them breathing.

The first one was a legitimate spooky moment, and every other iteration just made me roll my eyes. It's weird how bland the sound design in Ithiryll Dungeon is considering that this is the team that worked on Bloodborne, which has some of the most outstandingly spooky foley work I've ever heard in a video game. (The sound in the opening cutscene for Orphan of Kos is bonechilling, and it doesn't involve stock-standard scary skeleton screams at all.)

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 29, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Frostbite deals a tiny bit of damage and lowers defense when it goes off, but not enough to really be worth it to do on enemies, especially because its other effects probably don't even matter for NPC enemies (reduced Stamina regeneration).

If you're leveling both Strength and Dexterity, making the Estoc Refined is a good idea. Same for the Longsword, which is a perfectly good weapon.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Master Blaster is a very rude fight

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well hopefully I find enough titanite that upgrading both weapons is feasible and I can play with it. I notice that I'm definitely able to swing the sword more with the estoc than their irithyll so that's a plus.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
So after some frustration with Fereydun summoning me we discovered that after killing all the lords and the sky turning red, on maps where the sky changes after that trigger, somebody before that trigger can't summon somebody who is after that via summon sign. After just advancing my character to NG+, his fresh character was able to summon me fine. The messages are the same on both, though. Don't know if this affects invasions.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ruggington posted:

Master Blaster is a very rude fight

I thought it was a good fight, aside from a few things that irked me (Elder Prince having zero recovery frames after his super attack if you're within sword range). At least I was fighting the boss more than the loving camera, which is more than I can say about King of Storms.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Vermain posted:

The first one was a legitimate spooky moment, and every other iteration just made me roll my eyes. It's weird how bland the sound design in Ithiryll Dungeon is considering that this is the team that worked on Bloodborne, which has some of the most outstandingly spooky foley work I've ever heard in a video game. (The sound in the opening cutscene for Orphan of Kos is bonechilling, and it doesn't involve stock-standard scary skeleton screams at all.)

The biggest thing I noticed with sound in the Irithyll Dungeon is that if you don't find the hole in the wall that takes you downstairs on the far side fast enough you are punished by a 3-second sound clip of the same scream over and over again from one of those dragon babies below.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I'm fairly sure frostbite has other effects on some enemies. For example against silver knights hitting them with frostbite seems to let you stagger them every hit rather than every other hit. I could just be completely full of poo poo here, though. I've heard frostbite is effective against Dragonslayer Armour as well.

Regarding raw, it remains the best choice on weapons with low stat requirements or low scaling even in the late game if you're not increasing strength or dex, but even if you never go past base requirements, another infusion will beat out raw on a lot of weapons. The Carthus curved sword, for example, has equal AR with sharp or raw by +4 at base requirements, and by +5 sharp is better. The washing pole is similar. But the drakeblood greatsword is a good bit better raw than with other infusions at base stats because its scaling is rather weak.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Vermain posted:

I thought it was a good fight, aside from a few things that irked me (Elder Prince having zero recovery frames after his super attack if you're within sword range). At least I was fighting the boss more than the loving camera, which is more than I can say about King of Storms.

it's a really good fight but if he warps during my axe swing I get dead really fast and I need to play a lot more patiently than I have been

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Harrow posted:

Seriously, I can take out Dancer and Dragonslayer Armor barely getting hit but those huge abyss monsters just completely destroy me.

Strafe behind them, Im sure they have some sort of backwards reaching attack but ive never seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

PantsBandit posted:

Is it just me or are a disproportionate amount of the transposed weapons huge and slow? I want to make more because they always look cooler than any of the standard ones but I already have several greatswords that seem completely useless compared to my broadsword.

a lot of the boss souls do turn into great swords or great axes or other heavy weapons. there's a few like the crystal rapier or the dancer's twin blades or whatever that aren't, but the boss soul weapons overall are kind of underwhelming this time around imo.

the big advantage of heavy weapons over smaller faster weapons is hit-stun and hyper armor. you can attack into another person in pvp and (assuming you time your attack frames right) you will trade hits but your attack will cancel theirs out and stun them in place and you can get one or two extra hits in. since great weapons deal so much damage, sometimes an extra two hits is enough to completely kill another player. it's somewhat high risk high reward though, because great weapon attacks chew through your stamina and tend to have very long cooldown periods if you whiff, so if you don't hit your target you can leave yourself open to counter punishment. the other perk of the bigger weapons is reach - the broadsword itself is a fairly short weapon, and against an enemy with a longer weapon it can be very difficult to get close enough to actually stab them if they are playing well.