Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

inkblottime posted:

Stupid question but I haven't changed brakes since the early 90's when you had to practically wear a haz-mat suit.

Is it safe now to change brakes without proper dust control?

It's a hell of a lot better, but still spray poo poo down with a (reasonably less toxic) brake cleaner. Inhaling dust in general isn't great for you. Newer pad materials are just less wildly carcinogenic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Next stupid question! Would a 1987 GM v6 4.3L out of a c10 drop into an 84 s10 without too much trouble? It comes with a th350 transmission, but I'd like to keep the 5 speed in the s10 if at all possible.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
As long as they are similar fuel injection setups and wiring it shouldn't be a problem.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nubile Hillock posted:

Next stupid question! Would a 1987 GM v6 4.3L out of a c10 drop into an 84 s10 without too much trouble? It comes with a th350 transmission, but I'd like to keep the 5 speed in the s10 if at all possible.

That generation was available with that motor starting in '88, so I can't imagine the engine bay is significantly different. You might have to swap the oil pan to clear the front crossmember depending on how the C10 is set up, but it wouldn't be a major project at all. TBI is a joke to adapt, just swap the ecu (does your truck even have an ecu?), it's like 10 wires max.

I mean you can get kits for a 350 for that truck, the 4.3 is just a 350 minus two cylinders so it should be even easier.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

That generation was available with that motor starting in '88, so I can't imagine the engine bay is significantly different. You might have to swap the oil pan to clear the front crossmember depending on how the C10 is set up, but it wouldn't be a major project at all. TBI is a joke to adapt, just swap the ecu (does your truck even have an ecu?), it's like 10 wires max.

I mean you can get kits for a 350 for that truck, the 4.3 is just a 350 minus two cylinders so it should be even easier.

I did some more digging throughout the day and it turns out in the particular truck I want the swap won't work. Apparently, the 2.8L v6 was a 60 degree motor and used a transmission bolt pattern that was different than the 90 degree 2.5L. Also, apparently, the 4.3L v6 from the c10s was never mated to a manual transmission.

I'm probably going to get it and drive the poo poo out of it until the 2.8 croaks and then just drop a 305 in there.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nubile Hillock posted:

I'm probably going to get it and drive the poo poo out of it until the 2.8 croaks and then just drop a 305 in there.

Don't. Like, even if you have one on hand and it's free, it's a questionable swap; absolutely not worth spending money on. Only do it if you want the sound and fuel consumption of a V8 without all that pesky horsepower.

Comedy option: The LS4 uses the 60 degree bolt pattern. :v:

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Nubile Hillock posted:

I did some more digging throughout the day and it turns out in the particular truck I want the swap won't work. Apparently, the 2.8L v6 was a 60 degree motor and used a transmission bolt pattern that was different than the 90 degree 2.5L. Also, apparently, the 4.3L v6 from the c10s was never mated to a manual transmission.

What the gently caress are you thinking? 60 degree chevy's bad...

The 4.3L v6 from the c10 can go to the nv3500 without much effort, 700r4 auto, or 4l60e auto electronic. The 2.8L is bad. The 4.3L is ok if a direct swap but beyond that you are looking at about $3k for wiring harness, things, and lots of loving time to put a modern lsx. It was amazing dropping my 4.3L with 190hp to 350hp 5.3L and chirping in 3rd.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
How likely is it that the AC will need refilling due to that the car has been standing for ~4 years without use, and not because there is an actual leak?

Owner lists the classic "AC needs refill" in the ad, which usually means it's shitted itself, but in this case the car has been unused for 4 years. Also, isn't it odd that a CV-joint breaks, gets replaced and then breaks within a year?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

refrigerant doesn't leak particularly faster when sitting, but it does naturally seep out over long periods of time. How old is the car?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MrOnBicycle posted:

How likely is it that the AC will need refilling due to that the car has been standing for ~4 years without use, and not because there is an actual leak?

Owner lists the classic "AC needs refill" in the ad, which usually means it's shitted itself, but in this case the car has been unused for 4 years. Also, isn't it odd that a CV-joint breaks, gets replaced and then breaks within a year?

First question: reasonably likely. If the AC isn't used regularly, the oil doesn't get pushed around the system and the seals can perish and let the magic gas out.

Second question could easily be down to driver behaviour. I drove a Mazda 323 Turbo (very similar to this but with a TD04 turbo running 16psi) for eight years without losing a single CV joint. I sold it to a friend's little brother and I replaced three for him in the space of a year. Anyone who drives a powerful front wheel drive car and likes to floor it with the steering wheel cranked to full lock will break them on the regular.

Memento fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 29, 2016

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Enourmo posted:

refrigerant doesn't leak particularly faster when sitting, but it does naturally seep out over long periods of time. How old is the car?

2004 Alfa Romeo 156 with 87k miles on it (yes I know)

Memento posted:

First question: reasonably likely. If the AC isn't used regularly, the oil doesn't get pushed around the system and the seals can perish and let the magic gas out.

Second question could easily be down to driver behaviour. I drove a Mazda 323 Turbo (very similar to this but with a TD04 turbo running 16psi) for eight years without losing a single CV joint. I sold it to a friend's little brother and I replaced three for him in the space of a year. Anyone who drives a powerful front wheel drive car and likes to floor it with the steering wheel cranked to full lock will break them on the regular.

I see. Which means it's probably been driven hard.

After doing some quick rough calculations: It's $1500, and with transport + fix it up + sort the import I'd probably spend another $1500, which would make it 2/3 of the price of most with the same year / miles. It's too big a risk, since on the pictures it has lovely rims and lovely sound system stuff. No leather neither, so it's not worth the risk. Don't really want to deal with a car that hasn't been driven for ~4 years neither, that is too far away to go check out.

Thanks for the info though, I'll keep those things in mind for the next time.

VVVVV: Yeah you're right. It's off the table.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 29, 2016

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

2004 Alfa Romeo 156 with 87k miles on it (yes I know)

hasn't been driven for ~4 years

Yeah, that's gonna be more than $1500 to get back on the road properly. Everything rubber is going to need to be replaced from tires to AC o-rings and hoses. You may only replace the obvious stuff at first and think you got away with it. Then after the first few heat cycles it's going to start leaking more thing in and out than an Alfa normally does and you'll be right back in there replacing more poo poo.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS

I'm replacing the gear oil (it has never been changed). And I'm pretty sure that this is the procedure that applies to my model.

Is there anything wrong with using an old handsoap pump connected to fuel line tubing to pump the new gear oil into the reservoir (pic below)? The bottle provided by the dealership is way too large to slither into the undercarriage and pour in like the video shows. Do I need to be concerned about this pump putting excess air into the gearbox, or something?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 29, 2016

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

melon cat posted:

2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS

I'm replacing the gear oil (it has never been changed). And I'm pretty sure that this is the procedure that applies to my model.

Is there anything wrong with using an old handsoap pump connected to fuel line tubing to pump the new gear oil into the reservoir (pic below)? The bottle provided by the dealership is way too large to slither into the undercarriage and pour in like the video shows. Do I need to be concerned about this pump putting excess air into the gearbox, or something?

That might work, but it might be slow as gently caress. You can get a cheap pump of similar design at any auto parts store, and it will come with tubing cut to fit a few common bottle sizes, and actually be designed to move oil.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

To be honest you'd be better served getting a drinks bottle and hacking the top out so the pipe fits snugly. At least then you'd get it done quicker.

*edit: or that ^^

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Normal garden hose fits just right in most gearbox fill holes. Run it up and out to somewhere convenient in the engine bay, stick a funnel in it, and pour away.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Christobevii3 posted:

What the gently caress are you thinking? 60 degree chevy's bad...

Just going with cheapest locally available options. Don't have to worry about harnesses too much, it's all carbureted. For what the guy's selling it for, I think I'm gonna give replacing the two-piece rear seal a shot and get at least a few years out of it. 305s and 4.3 v6s are super cheap, one guy was just selling his leak-free 4.3 with the TH350 for $150. It would be kinda pointless to do all that work for no real performance upgrades though...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They're cheap for a loving reason.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug
Edit: Problem solved. It was for the AC. The more you know.

I blew up my engine mudding (4.0l SOHC, 2008 ranger FX4), and so a replacement engine is being installed. However, we have this spare plug coming off of the charging harness. It's a 2 prong plug with 2 wires. The situation is made more difficult because we're installing a supercharger at the same time, so we're not quite sure what we're missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! (P.S Sorry for the blurry picture, I'm not good at mechanical work or photography)

Seik fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 30, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

How long are tires good for really? I'm seeing a wide range of opinions and results around whether the 3-5 year shelf life manufacturers claim for tires is complete bullshit or not, with plenty of people pushing them 10-20 years in low mileage situations without them all exploding into flames.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

3-5 year shelf life, followed by however many years they're on the vehicle.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I have some lights that I want to test out before wiring them to the Jeep. Is there anything I can get that I can plug in at home and use to test out 12v stuff?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It all depends on how many amps they will draw, you can grab a 10 dollar DC power brick from radio shavk.
You can use an old pc psu, pretty sure a 4 pin connector is 12v
You can get a DC power box but they are like 50 bucks.. just do a quick touch to the battery if you want to test em.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pryor on Fire posted:

How long are tires good for really? I'm seeing a wide range of opinions and results around whether the 3-5 year shelf life manufacturers claim for tires is complete bullshit or not, with plenty of people pushing them 10-20 years in low mileage situations without them all exploding into flames.

In addition to what Godholio said, the main thing is to just go case-by-case. Inspect your poo poo, and if they're getting down to the wear bars, replace them. If they're cracking significantly between the treads or on the sidewall, replace them. If they still look good because you park indoors and don't put a lot of miles on them, then keep on goin'. Just maybe check on them more often if they're pushing up there in years.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

tater_salad posted:

It all depends on how many amps they will draw, you can grab a 10 dollar DC power brick from radio shavk.
You can use an old pc psu, pretty sure a 4 pin connector is 12v
You can get a DC power box but they are like 50 bucks.. just do a quick touch to the battery if you want to test em.

PC PSUs often have features where they will shut off without load; the older they are, the less likely they are to have that, though. The color code for +12V is usually yellow, and ground is black. To activate most of the PSUs you'll find sitting around, you jumper the green wire in the big 20 or 24 pin connector to any of the black wires (one is conveniently right next to it).

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

I'm really not a car guy but I recently got a wild hair and threw konis yellows and eibach springs/sways into my 2005 base model civic couple and now I'm trying to talk myself into k swapping it.

Is just buying an a2 from eBay and then sending it off to be remanned my best bet or is would the AI hive mind recommend something else entirely?

Jeff Gerber
Jul 22, 2007
Well it ain't soy sauce!
I put new rotors and shoes on the back end of my 2003 Dodge dakota. The parking brake wasn't holding after the new parts (or before for that matter) and i'm pretty sure i have the little shoe adjuster in the brakes set pretty well, so i figured i would have to give the tensioner nut on my parking brake cable a few turns. After a few turns i almost had it holding, although one side seemed a little tighter than the other, so i gave it a few more turns, went and checked the cables where they hook on behind the brakes and they had both popped off the hooks. Not only were they off the hooks, but they seemed too long (with the parking brake off) to even seat on the hooks.

what the gently caress? It's pretty clear which direction to tighten that nut to pick up slack in the cable, how are the two ends of the parking brake now beyond the attachment point on the brakes?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

DonkeyHotay posted:

I'm really not a car guy but I recently got a wild hair and threw konis yellows and eibach springs/sways into my 2005 base model civic couple and now I'm trying to talk myself into k swapping it.

Is just buying an a2 from eBay and then sending it off to be remanned my best bet or is would the AI hive mind recommend something else entirely?

How attached are you to your base model Civic?

You need a lot more than just the engine and ECU. Here's an old writeup I found about it, no idea how current the info is. It's easier than a K swap into an older Civic, but it's not exactly something for babby's first engine swap.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Helped a buddy do his valve cover gaskets. He'd not done any real car work before, not that I'm any kind of expert. I was surprised at how he charged into taking everything apart without even knowing what it was, just to get it out of the way. Whatever, drat the torpedos. We hit a stuck bold and I had to go. He finished it without me, but it wouldn't start. I returned to help puzzle over it. "I think it's timing" he says, cuz he took off the distributor and "it turned." Ah... He didn't even want to take the distributor off again, cuz the bolt is under the intake manifold and didn't want to take that off again. So we rotated the plug wires. Its a 6 cylinder, so 360 / 6 = 60, but at worst will be halfway so should get us within 30 degrees right? Well it worked, got it running rough, so then we turned the distributor a bit till it ran smoother.

Sooo, if it's sounding ok, not misfiring or anything, is it gonna do anything horrible if he drives it like that?

2001 nissan xterra

and if it's not obvious from the hillbilly job; by "anything horrible" i mean "shooting connecting rods at pedestrians", not "shortening engine life dramatically"

Epitope fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 2, 2016

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I just replaced my power steering pump, but I broke the output pipe doing so. It's prob going to sit till next weekend before I can sort it so I could do with parking it properly. Can I run the van long enough to to move it to the curb without loving the new, dry pump? Or should I disconnect the aux drive belt before I start it? Scratch that, I decided to pull the belt off. Turned out the battery is dead anyway, and I don't have long enough jump leads to reach from the boot of my e46 to the pass footwell of the van. What a bonanza bank holiday Monday :downsgun:

Also my alternator got covered in PS fluid. How likely is it to be hosed? Should I chance it r replace it when I'm in there?

stump fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 2, 2016

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Epitope posted:

Helped a buddy do his valve cover gaskets. He'd not done any real car work before, not that I'm any kind of expert. I was surprised at how he charged into taking everything apart without even knowing what it was, just to get it out of the way. Whatever, drat the torpedos. We hit a stuck bold and I had to go. He finished it without me, but it wouldn't start. I returned to help puzzle over it. "I think it's timing" he says, cuz he took off the distributor and "it turned." Ah... He didn't even want to take the distributor off again, cuz the bolt is under the intake manifold and didn't want to take that off again. So we rotated the plug wires. Its a 6 cylinder, so 360 / 6 = 60, but at worst will be halfway so should get us within 30 degrees right? Well it worked, got it running rough, so then we turned the distributor a bit till it ran smoother.

Sooo, if it's sounding ok, not misfiring or anything, is it gonna do anything horrible if he drives it like that?

2001 nissan xterra

and if it's not obvious from the hillbilly job; by "anything horrible" i mean "shooting connecting rods at pedestrians", not "shortening engine life dramatically"

You can actually cause catastrophic engine damage with really bad spark timing. Putting it back to the correct timing shouldn't be too hard.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Epitope posted:

2001 nissan xterra

Go rent a timing light from autozone or similar. Basically you pay for the tool then get your money back when you return it. You can really gently caress things up if it's the "right" kind of wrong.

Edit: What is this thing that hides access to something so basic as the distributor hold-down?

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
I have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer LS w/ about 178K miles on it that has an airbag light up on the dash and it is obviously failing the ignition check.

Things I have tried so far:
Reseating Fuses
Replaced Front Impact Sensors w/ known good parts and checked for failure
Checked and reseated cabling under driver and passenger side for the belt sensors.

Symptoms:
It began to gradually fail during this past winter where it would come on and stay on for a bit then finally go off.
Seatbelt light indicator on the dash seems to take longer than usual to go off.

I am leaning toward something fucky with the seatbelt sensors or the wiring in the seat but I need to pull to code to know for sure and I'm not paying a mechanic $100 to read one code so I can fix it. I'd rather just buy a code reader that can pull engine and airbag/srs/mrs codes.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a code reader that can pull that off for $100 or less?

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I don't know in terms of actual solutions but I think both the slip ring in the steering wheel and the passenger seat sensors tend to wear out after time. Specifically on the slip ring I think the voltage is not as great over time and it takes awhile before the SRS computer is happy with the signal. A bunch of other things factor into the SRS system - like often newish cars have 'explosive pretensioners' - so the seat belt buckle has an explosive charge which will pull backwards in the event of an airbag deployment to lock up the rachet in the seat belt.

I doubt any of this helps you, but explosive seat belts sound really cool. I do know on my BMW you need a much more comprehensive code reader to pull SRS codes - I don't think they factor into normal OBD codes. They don't want laymen screwing around with the SRS system so it's a lot harder to do diagnostics on. Obviously a Chevy is not a BMW, but I would double triple check whatever code reader you find is actually able to pull SRS codes for your car.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You can visually look at the seatbelt (female end) and see if the pretensioner has gone off. But yeah, pulling codes isn't as easy as engine codes unfortunately.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thank you guys, I was worried about that. I'll see if I can't convince him to fix it...

Godholio posted:

Edit: What is this thing that hides access to something so basic as the distributor hold-down?

I think it was more of a moral morale issue than actually being inaccessible.

Epitope fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 3, 2016

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Not sure if this is the right place...

2002 Volvo v70 t5, 145k miles

I bought this car for a song at 100k and have since replaced the all of the timing components, water pump, cam seals, spark plugs, ignition coils, strut mounts, axles, brakes, rotors and tires. I have never been able to get rid of the check engine light (camshaft position sensor, has been changed 3 times) or the shimmy at highway speeds and I'm starting to feel like fixing what's wrong may cost me more than the car is worth. Would it be stupid to sell the car while I can and pick up a cheap scooter for my short 5 mile commute to work while I figure out a long term solution? I'd love to keep the car but I can't work on it where I am and I absolutely have to get to work, and would be hosed if it broke down. I feel so conflicted :saddowns:

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

karn1635 posted:

I have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer LS w/ about 178K miles on it that has an airbag light up on the dash and it is obviously failing the ignition check.

Things I have tried so far:
Reseating Fuses
Replaced Front Impact Sensors w/ known good parts and checked for failure
Checked and reseated cabling under driver and passenger side for the belt sensors.

Symptoms:
It began to gradually fail during this past winter where it would come on and stay on for a bit then finally go off.
Seatbelt light indicator on the dash seems to take longer than usual to go off.

I am leaning toward something fucky with the seatbelt sensors or the wiring in the seat but I need to pull to code to know for sure and I'm not paying a mechanic $100 to read one code so I can fix it. I'd rather just buy a code reader that can pull engine and airbag/srs/mrs codes.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a code reader that can pull that off for $100 or less?

Get the code pulled. You have a seat belt sensor issue from googling as common and the srs inflation connector as an issue I'm seeing. Be lucky a 2000's chevy hasn't killed you yet!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

confonnit posted:

I bought this car for a song at 100k and have since replaced the all of the timing components, water pump, cam seals, spark plugs, ignition coils, strut mounts, axles, brakes, rotors and tires. I have never been able to get rid of the check engine light (camshaft position sensor, has been changed 3 times) or the shimmy at highway speeds and I'm starting to feel like fixing what's wrong may cost me more than the car is worth. Would it be stupid to sell the car while I can and pick up a cheap scooter for my short 5 mile commute to work while I figure out a long term solution? I'd love to keep the car but I can't work on it where I am and I absolutely have to get to work, and would be hosed if it broke down. I feel so conflicted :saddowns:

I'm going to go against what people in this forum like to say: those cars are garbage and you should definitely get rid of it and get something with two wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

confonnit posted:

Shimmy could be related to rotten bushings or something simple. Have you inspected the connector to the cps?