Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

What is the interest rate on the credit card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I believe the interest rate is 12 or 13%. I just checked my online account and most recent statement and I can't tell from anything it says on those.

nesbit37 posted:

I've got credit card debt, on one card, of about $16,000 and then $62k in student loans. I am not worried about the loans at all, but wondering the best course of action to knock out that debt. Should I just be making monthly payments or should I get a personal loan from my credit union to take it out all at once and then pay the loan off (or something else entirely)? Right now I can pay a little less than $1000 a month off on the debt but that's if I don't contribute anything to savings beyond what I already have going into retirement funds. I work for a public university so I am not worried about the student loans as in another 5-6 years, assuming the IBR still exists, all that debt should go away.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Open a Chase Slate card and do a balance transfer. It has a 0% introductory rate -- pay the minimums and then tackle it at the end of your debt reduction. Depending on how much credit you qualify this can significantly help.

$1000/mo is pretty heavy debt paydown by itself. If you can do nothing but pay $1000/mo then you're already in great shape. ~14 months to gain ~$12000 net worth is fantastic.

Consolidation loans would make a lot more sense if you didn't have the ability to quickly (under 2 years) pay off the debt. Since your payments are strong, you'll be carving into the principle deeply. I'm not a loan consolidation expert, but the administrative qualification process and overhead (flat fees?) will likely result in marginal if any savings compared to just blasting the loan with cash.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If I wanted to deposit around $10,000 - $15,000 into a friend's bank account, what implications (taxes etc) will he be responsible for, if any?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Sounds questionable. What sort of drug operation are you running?

AFAIK, for 2016 you can just give him a money order for as much as $14,000.00 tax free. Whether anyone asks any questions, who knows?!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Busy Bee posted:

If I wanted to deposit around $10,000 - $15,000 into a friend's bank account, what implications (taxes etc) will he be responsible for, if any?

Can't answer this without knowing the reason. What are you paying him for? Could be anything from a gift (you owe the tax, but there probably won't be any) to a 1099 payment (he'll owe income and self employment taxes on it which could be 40% of the total). The orthogonal question is whether it's legal activity - if you guys are running drugs, that doesn't affect the tax situation but the bank is keeping transaction records so you might get tracked down.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Related question, if I need to loan my friend in the UK like $1000 (not because of drugs) do I have to fill out a special form or something? is my paypal going to get flagged?

it's not like urgent or anything they're just dirt poor and need some help moving somewhere where there are jobs and they can not be dirt poor

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tshirt Ninja posted:

If I request an auto insurance quote online and forget to disclose an at-fault accident I was in, would that negatively impact my credit score? The company got back to me with a premium that was $250 higher than my initial online quote because I completely forgot to tell them I hit a fence a couple years ago.

No, insurance has nothing to do with credit scores. They don't even look at yours because they're not issuing credit.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

slap me silly posted:

Can't answer this without knowing the reason. What are you paying him for? Could be anything from a gift (you owe the tax, but there probably won't be any) to a 1099 payment (he'll owe income and self employment taxes on it which could be 40% of the total). The orthogonal question is whether it's legal activity - if you guys are running drugs, that doesn't affect the tax situation but the bank is keeping transaction records so you might get tracked down.

100% legal and not related to income - paying for a down payment and he is currently out of the country so I want to directly deposit it into his bank account.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Then it's fine and nobody gets taxed. On the other hand I strongly advise you not to go into the house buying business with your friend until you have a good written contract in place.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

FCKGW posted:

No, insurance has nothing to do with credit scores. They don't even look at yours because they're not issuing credit.
My understanding is that your credit score impacts your insurance rate, but your driving record won't impact your credit score.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, most auto insurance companies definitely use a modified version of your credit score as part of their algorithm to determine your rates. However, screwing up your auto insurance won't affect your credit score (unless you let it go unpaid and it goes into collections).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

See I've heard a bunch of scare articles about credit scores being tied into insurance rates but I've never seen anything concrete.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

FCKGW posted:

See I've heard a bunch of scare articles about credit scores being tied into insurance rates but I've never seen anything concrete.
No scare article needed.

https://www.progressive.com/shop/car-insurance-credit/
"Like other insurers, Progressive uses insurance scores and other underwriting tools and rating variables to place customers in groups, determine potential insurance claims risk for those groups, and calculate accurate rates based on the potential risk that each group represents. Progressive does not use information about credit history solely to refuse to insure a customer or to cancel a policy. In fact, our use of insurance scores has allowed us to offer lower rates to more customers.

Credit has been proven to be a very powerful and independent predictor of future accidents or insurance claims. The use of credit history provides an additional predictive factor — one not offered by other factors such as driving record, vehicle type, age, etc. In fact, Progressive data shows that consumers with the worst insurance scores are twice as likely to have an accident or insurance claim as those with the best scores.

Progressive, like other insurers, groups customers based on similar characteristics, evaluates their claims experiences within these groups, and determines what to charge individuals with characteristics similar to members of the group. We charge a higher rate for customers more likely to have claims, and a lower rate for customers less likely to have claims.
An insurance score is just one of many factors Progressive considers when determining rates. Depending on the state, we also consider your driving record, type of vehicle, where you live, your gender, your age and other factors."

That said, we don't know exactly how it factors in, but then again we don't know exactly how one accident or ticket factors in.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

slap me silly posted:

Then it's fine and nobody gets taxed. On the other hand I strongly advise you not to go into the house buying business with your friend until you have a good written contract in place.

There could be an issue with the loan underwriter refusing to issue the mortgage if they suddenly see money injected into the account without an explanation given (that the money is a gift, or used to cover for other assets the purchaser has but cannot access at the time).

The reason why is that you can't apply for a mortgage and give a down payment for money that was loaned to you but not declared as a loan (people often lie and say it was a gift or don't report it at all). This is called a "silent second" mortgage and is fraud at the federal level, because it could affect how worthy the borrower is to actually pay off the agreed to mortgage, and could affect who the creditors on a property are and who could come claiming for reimbursement in the case of default. So the poster needs to be careful that the money isn't viewed as such.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SpelledBackwards posted:

There could be an issue with the loan underwriter refusing to issue the mortgage if they suddenly see money injected into the account without an explanation given (that the money is a gift, or used to cover for other assets the purchaser has but cannot access at the time).

The reason why is that you can't apply for a mortgage and give a down payment for money that was loaned to you but not declared as a loan (people often lie and say it was a gift or don't report it at all). This is called a "silent second" mortgage and is fraud at the federal level, because it could affect how worthy the borrower is to actually pay off the agreed to mortgage, and could affect who the creditors on a property are and who could come claiming for reimbursement in the case of default. So the poster needs to be careful that the money isn't viewed as such.

http://davidsimon.com/kwame-brown-another-federal-case-another-head-shot/

Known among prosecutors and HBO crime show writers as "the head shot"

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

canyoneer posted:

http://davidsimon.com/kwame-brown-another-federal-case-another-head-shot/

Known among prosecutors and HBO crime show writers as "the head shot"

Yup, I first heard about it on The Wire. And now I see why when I bought my house and my parents gave me a small sum to supplement my down payment, they included a note (truthfully) declaring it as a one-time gift and not a loan to be paid back to them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

No scare article needed.

That article says they'll look at your credit history but says nothing of credit scores.

Not saying I don't believe you, it's just one of this things I've always heard people talk about as fact but never need the source of this info.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

FCKGW posted:

That article says they'll look at your credit history but says nothing of credit scores.

Not saying I don't believe you, it's just one of this things I've always heard people talk about as fact but never need the source of this info.

What do you think they do when they look at your credit history?

The whole point is that they can put it into a credit scoring model, that spits out a number, that can then be used as one of many inputs to a risk model that spits out a risk category and ultimately a price or a denial.

That credit scoring model isn't the same as FICO (what's typically used when you apply for a home or car loan), but it is, fundamentally, a credit score.

But you don't need to take my word for it.

FTC posted:

Credit-based insurance scores, like credit scores, are numerical summaries of consumers’ credit histories. Credit-based insurance scores typically are calculated using information about past delinquencies or information on the public record (e.g., bankruptcies); debt ratios (i.e., how close a consumer is to his or her credit limit); evidence of seeking new credit (e.g., inquiries and new accounts); the length and age of credit history; and the use of certain types of credit (e.g., automobile loans). Insurance companies do not use credit-based insurance scores to predict payment behavior, such as whether premiums will be paid. Rather, they use scores as a factor when estimating the number or total cost of insurance claims that prospective customers (or customers renewing their policies) are likely to file.
Credit-based insurance scores evolved from traditional credit scores, and insurance companies began to use insurance scores in the mid-1990s. Since that time, their use has grown very rapidly. Today, all major automobile insurance companies use credit-based insurance scores in some capacity. Insurers use these scores to assign consumers to risk pools and to determine the premiums that they pay.
https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/f...ance_scores.pdf

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Allllll right. Pedfed credit union has declined a legitimate credit card transaction for the last loving time. Anybody got a good suggestion for a credit card that won't refuse to work at regular intervals?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

slap me silly posted:

Allllll right. Pedfed credit union has declined a legitimate credit card transaction for the last loving time. Anybody got a good suggestion for a credit card that won't refuse to work at regular intervals?
I'd go with Citi Double Cash: simple rewards program, no annual fee, and I use it for all of my random purchases at brick and mortar and online shops (having other cards for gas, groceries, and restaurants) and I haven't had it declined yet.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Uggghhhh I used to have a Citi card and I dropped it because of poor behavior they were doing back in '09 or so.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

If you want a card with a bonus then come to the credit card thread, if you just want something simple and no-fuss then I'd second the Citi DoubleCash.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Aah crap. Thanks y'all.

E: Wow, citicard website is down right now. I AM NOT IMPRESSED

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 7, 2016

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The card is pretty great. works just fine, no fuss no muss. Just go with it.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Slut pig pointed out that the barclay is the one with chip and pin for international poo poo so I ordered that one instead despite annoying "points" and "redemption". Wish me luck.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.
If you have a Fidelity account, the Fidelity Visa Signature card is essentially the same 2% cash back on all purchases as well.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The price rewind feature on the citi cards is probably the best perk after the cashback.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.

SaltLick posted:

The price rewind feature on the citi cards is probably the best perk after the cashback.

Is using that pretty straightforward and worthwhile? I haven't actually taken advantage of it yet mostly for lack of having even tried to figure it out.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It's super easy. You simply search the item you bought, input the date and price and they do the rest. If citi finds a better price in 60 days you get the difference paid to you. I've netted about $100 so far for all of 5 minutes of work.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Yes it's super easy. I have had mixed results with the actual website which often does not detect easily Google-able lower prices, but you can submit a one page fax with a website screenshot and get refunded in like 3 business days. You can even submit screenshots of a website shopping cart with sale discounts etc applied as long the price of the individual item is displayed. The best thing I have found to do with it is use it on shoes and clothing that predictably go on sale in the 60 day window.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 8, 2016

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What does a credit card dispute / chargeback process look like? I signed up for a 6 month gym membership last november because my company paid for it in full. I woke up this morning to a $400 renewal charge on my card. When I contacted the gym, they claimed they sent me a 30-day notice email, which I absolutely do not have (the company shut down and I'm currently unemployed); I've checked my spam, trash, receipts, everything and there's nothing from them. They didn't respond to my most recent email and I sincerely cannot afford to pay that much at the moment. I'm hoping they act reasonably but if not I need to be prepared.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My credit card company's web site literally has a button called "Dispute charge" that goes to a little web form where you can type in what happened and upload a copy of the email exchange. Not a big deal.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

slap me silly posted:

My credit card company's web site literally has a button called "Dispute charge" that goes to a little web form where you can type in what happened and upload a copy of the email exchange. Not a big deal.

Except it's a gym, and gym's are notorious for loving your credit hard if they think you owe them money. This could easily get nasty, record everything!

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

What does a credit card dispute / chargeback process look like? I signed up for a 6 month gym membership last november because my company paid for it in full. I woke up this morning to a $400 renewal charge on my card. When I contacted the gym, they claimed they sent me a 30-day notice email, which I absolutely do not have (the company shut down and I'm currently unemployed); I've checked my spam, trash, receipts, everything and there's nothing from them. They didn't respond to my most recent email and I sincerely cannot afford to pay that much at the moment. I'm hoping they act reasonably but if not I need to be prepared.

You have nothing to lose by disputing the charge. But I'm not sure if the credit card will rule in your favor. I used to manage the credit card program for a credit union and among other things I processed disputes.

You are better off working with the merchant if you can. You should dispute it with your credit card company as a last case resort. Because it's a gym I presume it's local. Don't just bang out emails. You are better off going there, talking to the manager in person, explain how you lost your job, you are not in a position to pay this. Say that because your company paid for the first 6 months, the notice went to your company email which, because your company doesn't exist anymore, you never got. Bring your job loss notice with you. Try to impress upon his or her basic humanity.

If you don't get anywhere with the manager you should then dispute it. As part of the dispute process they will want to know why you are disputing it. Then the merchant will have a chance to respond, and explain their version of what happened. The gym will say that they billed you in accordance with your contract and that you are paying for a membership that they are providing. I give it upwards of 90% that they will win. The types of disputes that I saw go through were cases where people were double billed for something, where they ordered something online and returned the item but never got a refund, or they had proof that they cancelled a subscription but were still being billed.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So I've been living with my girlfriend for six years and running now, and everything is going well. Our finances are combined, we share everything, and we can tolerate each other's weird quirks well. However we were unable to get married until recently (she's trans, which is gay marriage here in the glorious capitalist hellhole of Florida!) and we've been living together so long at this point that we're already functionally married anyway, so neither of us assign much actual value to the, for lack of a better word, "ritual" of marriage. However, am I pissing away tax benefits by not getting married? I don't really understand how any of that works.

For the record we have no kids, are both 25 this year, rent an apartment, share a car. I make $70k and she makes $50k (lol pay gap)

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
Honestly in your case you'd pay a little less in taxes but it's all pretty close. I think you'd still benefit more filing Married filing Jointly, but it's nothing I'd lose sleep over.

That's just for federal though, not sure what benefits Florida might provide for married couples.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

So I've been living with my girlfriend for six years and running now, and everything is going well. Our finances are combined, we share everything, and we can tolerate each other's weird quirks well. However we were unable to get married until recently (she's trans, which is gay marriage here in the glorious capitalist hellhole of Florida!) and we've been living together so long at this point that we're already functionally married anyway, so neither of us assign much actual value to the, for lack of a better word, "ritual" of marriage. However, am I pissing away tax benefits by not getting married? I don't really understand how any of that works.

For the record we have no kids, are both 25 this year, rent an apartment, share a car. I make $70k and she makes $50k (lol pay gap)

If you don't itemize anything or claim any credits (including state income taxes which there are none in FL) it doesn't make any difference at all at your given incomes. If you don't want to get married you should at least ensure that your legal house is in order with regards to wills, power of attorney, policy and account beneficiary designations, etc.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Marriage penalty is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

It looks like you have to make at least ~$170k or so as a couple to encounter the bracket part of the marriage penalty, and that income has to be split fairly evenly between the two people.

The other typical thing that can cause a penalty is if one of you owns a house and takes advantage of the deductions. As two single people, you would get (itemized deductions of one person) + ($6300 standard deduction of the other person), but if you were married you would lose that extra $6300 standard deduction.

If you live in FL (no income tax) and don't make a combined salary quite that high, then I don't think there's any particular federal tax consequence. You have to pay to file twice I guess.