Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Boomerjinks posted:

Nebakenezzer suggested I cross-post this from the Aeronautical Insanity thread:

Those are nuts, especially stuff like the seat detail. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Greyhawk posted:

How's the disolved putty?

It's a little weird. It's pretty much just putty and thinner so in a lot of ways it behaves like a paint in that it dries much smaller if that makes sense. That makes it kind of hard to judge how much you've actually put on until it actually dries. It doesn't really flow like a paint though, it just gloops like a putty.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Recently started modeling, as a child I never had the patience. My wife wanted to build an SR71, and I found a P61. It turns out on the same day that we bought the SR and P61, my brother was buying an Enterprise NCC-1701, and bought my father an F4 Phantom. We're going all in.

I don't think it's going too bad for a first timer. Looking forward to reading this thread from the start.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Boomerjinks posted:

Nebakenezzer suggested I cross-post this from the Aeronautical Insanity thread:

The other night I was trying to find color photos of the X-1s wheel wells for a friend and I stumbled across some guy that goes by the name danimalmagic. The man is some kind of model-building MONSTER, a goddamn freakshow of talent, I've been pawing through his photobucket for days now. I hope this is appropriate in this thread, presented in no particular order because it is all so absolutely loving amazing.

loving wizard. Just type "danimalmagic" into Google image search, you'll lose all track of time.

I will never be nearly as good as this guy and I feel like I should just stop trying at this hobby. :-(

My F-14's wings look like absolute poo poo, and it's 1/72 so it's gonna be way tough if at all possible to rescribe the leading edge slat support thingies on the bottom. I just painted and put 'em in. I hope my dad won't look at them too closely.
Its engine fairings look like absolute poo poo too.

My F-106 has all the detail sanded away from the wings and half the upper fuselage. Rescribing it looked lovely so it got filled in.

There has got to be a kit out there that doesn't require absolute master precision to even get a clean basic build right. Whenever there's a gap, no amount of putty injection or Mr. Surfacer gets it clean. I've read books, watched tutorials, I just can't seem to get it. Yet I can build Gundam models like nobody's business. I've got perfectly filled and sanded seams. I'm good at Gundams, I'm lousy at actual kits.

I want to get better, but I can't quite seem to get a diagnosis on what I do wrong, because everything out there is just how to do X, not how to suck less at X.

I think I gotta just go to an IPMS meeting with my current builds and beg for help.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Lightbulb Out posted:

Recently started modeling, as a child I never had the patience. My wife wanted to build an SR71, and I found a P61. It turns out on the same day that we bought the SR and P61, my brother was buying an Enterprise NCC-1701, and bought my father an F4 Phantom. We're going all in.

I don't think it's going too bad for a first timer. Looking forward to reading this thread from the start.

Looks good, definitely much better than my early efforts.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

I like it.

Got a new airbrush (Sparmax DH-102). Why didn't I go for double action & gravity feed before? This is so much better.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I got two things in the mail today, a Tiger I (Early) from AFV Club and a T-34/85 from Hobby Boss both in 1/48 scale. They both cost less than 5 bucks more than the Tamiya 1/48 series but on the surface they seem to offer a lot more in the box.

Starting with the Tiger, the main draw of this kit is that it actually comes with photo-etched engine grilles which none of the Tamiya models do.

There's a bunch of other stuff to like about the kit too, the fit is very good and there's a lot of detail on the molds. In particular a lot of the vertical surfaces have some molded texture which looks great.

The instructions on the other hand are pretty awful. The paint call outs are very sparse and the assembly pictures use images of the actual model rather than the classic line drawing style which makes it pretty hard to make out the orientation of some parts. The front page is pretty darn good though. :v:

The kit comes with soft tracks which may bother some people (not me, bloody hard tracks) but the detail is actually slightly better than the hard tracks from the equivalent Tamiya kit. All in all a rather nice kit that actually may get finished some day!

TheT-34 however, is going straight to the bottom of the queue. The kit actually shows an astounding amount of promise on paper. For 20 bucks it came with a full interior including full engine. It also included a hybrid polystyrene/photo-etch engine cover. When you look inside the box everything looks quite good on the surface. The level of detail is actually very good, there's a lot of 3-piece molding going on and they've even provided a jig to take the hard work out of the hard tracks it comes with. Look a little closer and things start to go down hill though. Overall the molding is very sloppy, there's hardly a clean edge in the entire kit. As a result the fit is pretty dire.

And the piece de resistance of the whole kit is both mildly defective and warped.

Unsurprisingly the instructions aren't much better. While they did actually bother to make the line drawings and the steps are about as clear as the average Tamiya kit, there's hardly any paint call-outs. Not once in the entire 21 steps does it actually tell you what color to paint the interior or the engine bay. In other cases they only bother to call out one color for an obviously multicolored part. Furthermore while the kit does include a rather lovely full engine and transmission, if you follow the instructions to the letter you'll end up sealing them inside never to see the light of day again. Overall, if you're willing to put the work in it looks like you could actually make something really good out of it but I think I'll put it off for now.

So there we have it, a well made German tank and a shoddily produced Russian one.... hang on, are they doing a bloody skit or something?

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Yup, that looks like a Hobby Boss kit alright

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I just ordered the Hobby Boss Pz. Kpfw KV2 754(r), a.k.a. stolen KV-2 with big turret. I hope it won't suck. :ohdear:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Greyhawk posted:

Yup, that looks like a Hobby Boss kit alright

Oh, come on now. That's just a tiny bit unfair. I've done several HB kits and they've all come out of the box very nicely. I've even done one of their 1/48th T-34's that probably came from the same molds as RillAkBea's. Most recently I tackled one of their T-26's and it was a phenomenal little kit.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

For the lazy, here's danimalmagic's photobucket: http://s774.photobucket.com/user/danimalmagic/profile/

The thing that makes me slightly envious is his sweet workspace - he split his garage in half, and made himself a dedicated construction room.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Gewehr 43 posted:

Oh, come on now. That's just a tiny bit unfair. I've done several HB kits and they've all come out of the box very nicely. I've even done one of their 1/48th T-34's that probably came from the same molds as RillAkBea's. Most recently I tackled one of their T-26's and it was a phenomenal little kit.

ok, then let's rephrase "this looks like my personal experience with hobby boss kits"

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I built the Hobby Boss 1:48 T-34-76. It has a ton of parts for the cost, but the fit of the turret parts was unacceptably bad. The hull, on the other hand, was perfect. I don't remember how good the manual was, but I enjoyed it even though 1:48 isn't my scale of choice.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

What has two thumbs and just shot a clear coat over invisible Micro Set residue, ruining what would be a nice glossy finish?
:(
I've done this before. I can't believe I forgot.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Lightbulb Out posted:

Lightbulb Out's wife here. I'm more interested in the painting and detail work than body work. Here's my progress on the SR-71 cockpit. We're going cockpit closed, and I stupidly fogged up the windows with glue so you can't really see it. These are my first models, so if anyone has any tips, I'd love to learn! Everyone's projects are looking great.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

My struggle with my airbrush escallated tonight: I accidentally screwed on the nozze too hard while cleaning it an extra time before tomorrow's session, and it broke. Yay! 20 quid down the drain, and I'll take a break with this disaster until the replacement nozzle arrives next week.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

lilljonas posted:

My struggle with my airbrush escallated tonight: I accidentally screwed on the nozze too hard while cleaning it an extra time before tomorrow's session, and it broke. Yay! 20 quid down the drain, and I'll take a break with this disaster until the replacement nozzle arrives next week.

That's exactly the same thing that happened to my old one a while ago. Thread was still in the brush and the nozzle broke clean off.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

:monocle:

Did you paint these with a strand of hair?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

We're going cockpit closed, and I stupidly fogged up the windows with glue so you can't really see it. These are my first models, so if anyone has any tips, I'd love to learn!
Regular old white glue will hold the canopy on as good as it'll ever need to be and shouldn't interact with either the paint or the canopy plastic.

I learned that from this thread, can't remember who said it though so thank you whoever you were.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 29, 2016

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Greyhawk posted:

That's exactly the same thing that happened to my old one a while ago. Thread was still in the brush and the nozzle broke clean off.

I'm just happy I managed to get rid of the part that was left inside by turning it around with a toothpick. if it was stuck inside, ruining the entire airbrush, I'd be livid.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Dammit, this thread is going to make me dig out my Tamiya M-42 Duster kit that I bought and gave up on because my skills weren't up to my own standards.

Scale modeling is so zen.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

lilljonas posted:

I'm just happy I managed to get rid of the part that was left inside by turning it around with a toothpick. if it was stuck inside, ruining the entire airbrush, I'd be livid.

Even if you do happen to seriously mess up an airbrush, most manufactures will fix it for you for a small fee.

Some of the pros I know even recommend sending your airbrush into the manufacturer every year for a full teardown and refurbish to keep it in tip top shape. Get all the user-unserviceable parts replaced and what not.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Lightbulb Out's wife here. I'm more interested in the painting and detail work than body work. Here's my progress on the SR-71 cockpit. We're going cockpit closed, and I stupidly fogged up the windows with glue so you can't really see it. These are my first models, so if anyone has any tips, I'd love to learn! Everyone's projects are looking great.

With the canopy, try a very light sanding followed by a washing with future floor polish. Hopefully gets it to a more respectable look. If it doesn't look the clearest, maybe try a tamiya clear blue or smoke to tint it a little (from pics on line the Windows look a little blueish)

And send your enterprise building bro to the trekworks YouTube page. From there, he'll have a hell of a lot of resources/people to feed off of.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just had a thought. We use the plastic cement to get a bead up and sand it down, right? Older model building books mention using superglue and accelerator to get a nice bead, which you can then sand down as well.

I'll be honest, even if I get a good fit, eventually I end up with a minor step sometimes. One that takes a LOT of sanding to level out. Is it maybe better to start trying the superglue method?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Superglue dries really hard and is best reserved for a small joint that plastic cement can't grab.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fair nuff.

Switching questions: Can I get some criticism/pointers on jet exhaust? Base color is Vallejo Metal Color jet exhaust, sealed under a gloss topcoat. I did a pin wash of Model Master steel with a bit of gunmetal. Should I use pastels to add a bit of soot/wear? Anything I missed or should be doing? First time I've done more than just paint the exhausts burnt metal and called it a day.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I finally have a working laser cutter again, started cutting this modern industrial building right away.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I finally have a working laser cutter again, started cutting this modern industrial building right away.

Nice. I've always liked your buildings.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jonny Nox posted:

Nice. I've always liked your buildings.

Painting them is a bitch though. I'm a bad painter and no airbrush. I hand brushed it all a boring gray that I regret!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The laser really lets you make whatever cool building design you want, which is pretty awesome.

You really should invest in a cheapo airbrush and compressor, given how much area of stuff you need to cover with paint when making buildings, it would be a hugely useful tool.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Locator posted:

The laser really lets you make whatever cool building design you want, which is pretty awesome.

You really should invest in a cheapo airbrush and compressor, given how much area of stuff you need to cover with paint when making buildings, it would be a hugely useful tool.

I have one but it's hosed. Worked ok at first but gets jammed and needs more cleaning and work to get going than just doing stuff by hand :( I got a cheap set and used cheap craft paints. Rip

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Get an external mix spray gun. They cost 10 bucks and basically don't really clog up. The only problem is, you really only can do large uniform coats with it and they tend to spew out too much colour. Like a rattle can really.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Greyhawk posted:

Get an external mix spray gun. They cost 10 bucks and basically don't really clog up. The only problem is, you really only can do large uniform coats with it and they tend to spew out too much colour. Like a rattle can really.

AKA, don't buy one.

If you want a dead cheap airbrush that isn't full of caveats, get a Paasche H or VL. They can be found for under $50, and they are the workhorses of the effects industry. Every artist has their special $400+ brush that they love, including me, but the Paasche H and VL have painted more of Hollywoods monsters and aliens than all other airbrushed combined. The Predator was painted with an H. The Alien was painted with a VL. The Thing was painted with both. Professional artists in the industry still use them to this day. They're dead simple, the parts are cheap, and you can shoot anything through them. If all you're looking to do is to put down swaths of color, they're perfect for that, even though they can do detail work as well. I've got one myself for when I want to spray horrible poo poo that I don't want to put through my expensive brushes. Even if the entire airbrush dissolved in your hand, you're only out fifty bucks.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Baronjutter posted:

I have one but it's hosed. Worked ok at first but gets jammed and needs more cleaning and work to get going than just doing stuff by hand :( I got a cheap set and used cheap craft paints. Rip

Would it be worth just using spraycans for the broadstrokes and then just touchups/weathering with normal brushes? Might take some of the tediousness out of it

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

Painting them is a bitch though. I'm a bad painter and no airbrush. I hand brushed it all a boring gray that I regret!

Being that it is straight up wood you are painting, consider heading down to Home Depot and getting some of those tester-sized paints. They are around 250ml, cost four or five dollars and are of the paint and primer all in one variety. There are stains too, there's probably a Minwax offering that could make convincing weathered wood for your barn and shanty needs.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Even if the entire airbrush dissolved in your hand, you're only out fifty bucks.
I feel like in that scenario, you'd also at least be out a hand as well.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Slugworth posted:

I feel like in that scenario, you'd also at least be out a hand as well.

Just LOL if you're not already using a RoboHAND-3000X.

I mean, you guys call yourselves artists and you're still wielding a brush with a sweaty meat-hand like some bored chimpanzee in a zoo?!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

AKA, don't buy one.

If you want a dead cheap airbrush that isn't full of caveats, get a Paasche H or VL. They can be found for under $50, and they are the workhorses of the effects industry. Every artist has their special $400+ brush that they love, including me, but the Paasche H and VL have painted more of Hollywoods monsters and aliens than all other airbrushed combined. The Predator was painted with an H. The Alien was painted with a VL. The Thing was painted with both. Professional artists in the industry still use them to this day. They're dead simple, the parts are cheap, and you can shoot anything through them. If all you're looking to do is to put down swaths of color, they're perfect for that, even though they can do detail work as well. I've got one myself for when I want to spray horrible poo poo that I don't want to put through my expensive brushes. Even if the entire airbrush dissolved in your hand, you're only out fifty bucks.

Does Paache make any that don't have those external tanks? Seems like a lot of extra cleaning. I don't remember why but I've always had this idea in my head to avoid airbrushes with the detachable tanks, get the little gravity fed cup ones. I can't remember why though!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 3, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

We are all this kid.

I've also started building a new tiny tank. 1/72 Leo 2! It has the giant turret - like if Donald Trump thought the size of the turret equated deadliness, the turret would be bigger, but only a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Baronjutter posted:

Does Paache make any that don't have those external tanks? Seems like a lot of extra cleaning. I don't remember why but I've always had this idea in my head to avoid airbrushes with the detachable tanks, get the little gravity fed cup ones. I can't remember why though!

The under-cup ones are generally when you want to shoot more paint than a gravity feed can handle, but less than a full automotive gun can handle. You can get those Paasches with side feed cups though, which is actually a really cool innovation. Gravity feeds cups are great, but the cup can definitely get in your eyeline from time to time.