Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This almost makes Soul Stream look practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The more I think about Aldrich the more confused I get. Supposedly dude just ate people until he got so fat he congealed into horrorterror nightmare slime. But like... did nobody have any concern over their pope's eating habits? Presumably they were afraid he'd just eat them if the spoke against him but it couldn't be very hard to outrun a guy that probably can't even move anymore. And how does getting inhumanly fat equate to turning into a slime monster? :psyduck: It was also brought up that how in the hell they transported him from the Cathedral to summer home. Was he a slime blob at this point? Did he just goop his way across the land? Or was he still just a fat dude in which case... :confused:

I have so many questions.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

lmao of course the final boss of the dark souls series would be a dex/int twink rear end in a top hat

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The more I think about Aldrich the more confused I get. Supposedly dude just ate people until he got so fat he congealed into horrorterror nightmare slime. But like... did nobody have any concern over their pope's eating habits? Presumably they were afraid he'd just eat them if the spoke against him but it couldn't be very hard to outrun a guy that probably can't even move anymore. And how does getting inhumanly fat equate to turning into a slime monster? :psyduck: It was also brought up that how in the hell they transported him from the Cathedral to summer home. Was he a slime blob at this point? Did he just goop his way across the land? Or was he still just a fat dude in which case... :confused:

I do wonder if the DLC's are gonna give some concrete answers on this. Like who the Lords of Cinder were before they linked the flames and rose again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the way it's insane how many embers you get by co-oping even a little. I just started selling them by the dozen for some fast cash or to top up another level up.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's implied that he and the rest of the clergy at the Cathedral of the Deep gave in to whatever horror was lurking within the Deep, which twisted their minds considerably. He likely went from eating pork, to eating people clandestinely, to eating people openly, at which point everyone is enamored with him because of the influence of the Deep on their brains. He transformed into a blob monster because the Curse of the Undead does weird poo poo to people's bodies, especially as they grow more sinful and depraved. Pontiff Sulyvahn likely used magic to get him over to his current house.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

RBA Starblade posted:

By the way it's insane how many embers you get by co-oping even a little. I just started selling them by the dozen for some fast cash or to top up another level up.

I think you get embers for winning as mound maker and Aldrich too?and invading in general?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ruggington posted:

lmao of course the final boss of the dark souls series would be a dex/int twink rear end in a top hat

Wait until you see the other attacks :darksouls:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Hey man if you want to be the guy to tell the pope to stop doing poo poo and get excommunicated/fed to the crocodogs then be my guest

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

oh and he has second chance

oh and he combo'd me into the center of the earth

hmmm

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ruggington posted:

oh and he has second chance

oh and he combo'd me into the center of the earth

hmmm

This is your fault for being so OP in DS1. :v:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The final boss really should have just been this.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
People turning into demons as always been a thing. Hell Aldrich reminded me sort of Phalanx from Demon Souls. I just went with he's basically the symbol of greed so him being a fat blob of goo was the perfect fitting thing for him.

I mean look at DS2, all those demons we fought were kings or princes (in other cases queens/princesses as well). Coveutous Demon was some prince who had unrequited love. Old Iron King was a dude who got one shot'd by a demon he created and got chucked in the lava and came out like that so, I don't really think hard when it comes to bosses being former humans once.

Souls is a hosed up place man. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ruggington posted:

Only sometimes. He switches styles to popular player styles. Int, curved sword + pyro, spear + miracles, etc.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The final boss of DS3 is incredible and I can't think of a better "gimmick" (both mechanically and lore-wise) for a series' last boss. :allears:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

Only sometimes. He switches styles to popular player styles. Int, curved sword + pyro, spear + miracles, etc.

I actually laughed out loud when he hit me with wotg

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm real disappointed I finished that boss in one try because I only saw it change once, and it just went from "sword" to "curved sword" which was almost exactly the same. Everyone else makes it sound so cool.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

RabidWeasel posted:

IIRC in at least one of the previous souls games there were weapons with hidden damage bonuses on ripostes and/or backstabs based on which animation the weapon uses so it might be something like that? This may be totally wrong, I only half-remember what I'm talking about. Also thrust resistance does tend to be a bit lower. How much AR do you have with that thing and are you using the hornet ring?

458 at 45 strength.

This is the only really heavy weapon I'm enjoying so far, but it's really hard to try out new things over and over due to grinding. My Ricard's Rapier Charlotte cosplay build does so much better in PVP, it's kind of sickening. One stab with an Estoc is as good as a one handed smash with the drat pickaxe, and getting hits in is much more risky and difficult.

e: Yes, hornet ring. Still, with the hornet ring I usually expect 1k of damage at most on a riposte with a rapier. The crits on the pickaxe are crazy.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 29, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The answer to at least one of those questions is "they put him in a box". At least that's what I think Anri is implying when she/he talks about "Aldtrich's coffin" being empty.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
My first double post, drat. Sorry bout that.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The final boss was perfect for me. Everyone can say oh but I beat him in one try and well screw you. You got gud at Souls, ever though that? Sure he may of not been False King Allant and no boss has ever gotten to close to being like him but I thought DS3 ended on a high note with that being the final boss.

I mean what better way to end the series with a dude who was protecting the flame and here you are trying to gently caress him up and he's basically every player/npc who linked the fire all in one. The remix Gwyn music coming out in the second phase was a nice touch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ruggington posted:

I actually laughed out loud when he hit me with wotg

Yeah, he's a really appropriate final boss for the Dark Souls series. After all, he's all of us. This is the best way they could've possibly done the whole "final boss is the previous player character" thing for this series.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I'm convinced that the moving goo in his arena is actually sloughed-off flesh.

Also, do we know what all carries over between playthroughs? I'm talking covenant levels, Hollowing, Dark Sigils, etc?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Speaking of the tubby worm, it looks like Vow of Silence works fully on Aldrich.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So I want to go with a build that uses bleed-causing dex weapons(specifically Warden's twinblades and the Great Scythe.) Is it worth going for any Luck? I'd be hesitant to go all-in with Luck since the Profane coal comes later in the game than I'd like.

Side-note: are halberds/scythes still limited to a sweet-spot?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Yeah, he's a really appropriate final boss for the Dark Souls series. After all, he's all of us. This is the best way they could've possibly done the whole "final boss is the previous player character" thing for this series.

The bosses in this game are almost all amazing, I love them.

It should have been Solaire, Lord of Cinder though so we can see who the true monsters who kills their good friend are. :v:

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
Infusion gems are meant to be one of the rarest drops, yes?

I've had three lightning gems and zero greatswords in more than 100k souls' farming on this rear end in a top hat knight. :gonk:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Melanion posted:

I've had three lightning gems and zero greatswords in more than 100k souls' farming on this rear end in a top hat knight. :gonk:

I got a raw gem in like two minutes my first time through the High Wall on this guy so I have a raw uchi and thanks to killing the dancer, 950 hp. I'm kind of just waiting for invaders, really.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Welcome to the Souls series' RNG. It knows what you want.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Melanion posted:

It depends somewhat on the gem. I'm pretty sure Refined gems are the rarest, and it took me several hours of farming to get one. The Greatsword doesn't seem to be super rare, but like the previous poster said RNG seemingly knows what you want :smith:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a certain point where Chaos gems become better than Raw if I'm doing a heavy faith/some int build? Haven't looked at the numbers yet since I don't have a chaos gem in this run but I'm assuming it's going to leave Raw in the dust at some point.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Viperix posted:

So I want to go with a build that uses bleed-causing dex weapons(specifically Warden's twinblades and the Great Scythe.) Is it worth going for any Luck? I'd be hesitant to go all-in with Luck since the Profane coal comes later in the game than I'd like.

Side-note: are halberds/scythes still limited to a sweet-spot?

From what I've read luck increases both bleed damage and buildup so yes you want to get luck. Like I said some pages back I put a Carthus Rouge on a +0 Barbed Sword for fun on my 40 luck Anri's sword character and I was able to play through NG+ zones with it fairly comfortably, getting a bleed every 3-4 hits for ~40% of the enemy's hp. My regular hits were doing like 80 damage.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
That depends on how well flame arc scales with int fth

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Robo Reagan posted:

Is there a certain point where Chaos gems become better than Raw if I'm doing a heavy faith/some int build? Haven't looked at the numbers yet since I don't have a chaos gem in this run but I'm assuming it's going to leave Raw in the dust at some point.

It should happen pretty quick. At 18/18/30/30 on my pyromancer I had like 430 ar on the chaos dark sword +10.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Does it ever become possible to reinforce armor?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jewel Repetition posted:

No. Enjoy Fashion Souls.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Having gone through the game a few times now I'm aching for some background entertainment, and I loved watching DS2 streams/LP's back when I did a ton of runs in that game. Does anyone have any recommendations for DS3 LPs/streams? I've watched Lobos Jr's current stuff and EnB's ongoing LP, but considering how popular this game is there has to be more out there.

First playthrough stuff is very fun, but I also enjoy challenge runs (though I'm not a huge fan of the challenge run streams where the streamer just grunts once in a while.)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jewel Repetition posted:

Nope, plus poise doesn't work. Dress in what looks cool as the numbers don't mean poo poo.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Your Computer posted:

Having gone through the game a few times now I'm aching for some background entertainment, and I loved watching DS2 streams/LP's back when I did a ton of runs in that game. Does anyone have any recommendations for DS3 LPs/streams? I've watched Lobos Jr's current stuff and EnB's ongoing LP, but considering how popular this game is there has to be more out there.

https://www.twitch.tv/elajjaz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I didn't even notice the change. I haven't bothered upgrading armor since my first run of DS1. Fashion > stats.