Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No egg in the opening :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Waffleman_ posted:

No egg in the opening :(

0/10 worst anime ever

also <3 okuyasu

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Tarezax posted:

Kanji don't specifically represent a sound, no, but they have multiple possible readings based on context. Inside a name which readings apply are basically arbitrary so when meeting someone new you might have to ask them how the kanji in their given name are pronounced.

How was that handled in the manga? Was it written in hiragana first so readers knew his name was Josuke rather than Jojo?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Speaking of preserving meaning between the English and Japanese versions, the No Trespassing -> No Passing was well done. I don't know if that part of the manga has been officially translated and I can't remember if the one I read did that, but as a student of Chinese that was deftly handled.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
crunchyroll stand rename ratings
Chilli Pepper: Pretty good, just a shortening of the original name, doesn't try and add any sly winks or gags, I like it
Reverb: It's a synonym... no real other way they could've done this one, it could've been a lot worse

Okuyasu rating 10/10

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

CJ posted:

How was that handled in the manga? Was it written in hiragana first so readers knew his name was Josuke rather than Jojo?

Manga, especially stuff like shonen manga, will often have furigana, or small katakana characters, next to kanji phrases to ascertain their pronunciation.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Kaasen posted:

I find it strange that crunchyroll did not even attempt a translation note when those bullies got "jojo" out of "josuke"

Does CR even directly do the subtitling? I'd always assumed that would be done by whatever company had the rights in America.

CJ posted:

I think the way it works is 'suke' is how you would normally read that character in a compound work like a name, but if it were by itself, it would be read 'jo'.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 29, 2016

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I hope every major character gets a new(?) scene where they tell Josuke they think his mom is hot

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

CJ posted:

Generally when you see a character's name for the first time it'll have furigana on it, furigana being little hiragana that indicate how a kanji is supposed to be read. Depending on the difficulty of the name and the target age of the publication, the furigana may continue to appear on the name.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Okuyasu :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That end scene with Okuyasu is new for the anime.
It is the best thing.

This episode though :smith:
A pure boy like Okuyasu doesn't deserve that but he does deserve love from Tomoko.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
That ending scene is the best and I love our sweet boy Okuyasu

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Okayasu is a cute boy

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Protect that smile.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

RIP Echoes. I guess not even single, common words are okay.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
New Okuyasu scene?? gently caress why on today the Friday I will not go home straight from work???

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Okuyasu continues the (new) tradition of the main brojo telling the Jojo that his mom is fine. Okuyasu is the best.

no they will not posted:

crunchyroll stand rename ratings

They weren't CR. They're the closest thing to an "official" English version we've got, since ASB (and presumably EoH) use them too.

I always put Reverb down to CC2 being overly cautious though. Since "Echoes" is a super normal word, I sorta wonder if CR went with it for consistencies sake if nothing else. Either way it's functional and gets the same idea across without any fuss.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Absolutely not ashamed to admit that I cried a little

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Okuyasu continues the (new) tradition of the main brojo telling the Jojo that his mom is fine. Okuyasu is the best.

They weren't CR. They're the closest thing to an "official" English version we've got, since ASB (and presumably EoH) use them too.

I always put Reverb down to CC2 being overly cautious though. Since "Echoes" is a super normal word, I sorta wonder if CR went with it for consistencies sake if nothing else. Either way it's functional and gets the same idea across without any fuss.

Crunchyroll's PR person on her personal twitter said Warner Bros tried to get every original stand name in so if they are changed, it's because Warner Bros couldn't get it cleared.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The Nijimura Bros. have the most depressing backstory ever.

Also, Echoes is what Koichi's Stand was called in All Star Battle, likewise with Chili Pepper, so I'm not surprised by any of those changes.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Absolutely not ashamed to admit that I cried a little

We know. It was in the episode. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
CC2 didn't even do the name changes it was bandai namco's localization team

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And you can hardly call the ASB translation the closest to an official translation when it actively ignores actual official translations when it suits it and tries to make Vanilla Ice into actual Vanilla Ice

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

More like All Star Bad-le

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
As someone that's never read the manga I can only assume Josuke and Okuyasu become best friends now. Which is great.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?

CJ posted:

Furigana would have been used. Like people above me said, furigana is the term for hiragana that is written next to kanji so that you can know their pronunciation. There's a lot of it in a shonen jump manga because of the target audience. I admit it kind of looks like a mess if you're not used to seeing a written language that sometimes needs a pronunciation guide:

Hiragana (edit: actually katakana in this case, the characters used for foreign words) is also used with things written in English, so when Dio became DIO it looked like this:

Sometimes I forget that people don't necessarily know what manga looks like in the original Japanese :shobon:

Kaasen fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 29, 2016

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

El Burbo posted:

Protect that smile.

:same:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

:smith:

:unsmith:

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

I know crunchyroll didn't invent the names... i'm just saying because some people might be using unofficial translations that use the original stand names and stuff

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Kaasen posted:

Furigana would have been used. Like people above me said, furigana is the term for hiragana that is written next to kanji so that you can know their pronunciation. There's a lot of it in a shonen jump manga because of the target audience. I admit it kind of looks like a mess if you're not used to seeing a written language that sometimes needs a pronunciation guide:

Hiragana is also used with things written in English, so when Dio became DIO it looked like this:

Sometimes I forget that people don't necessarily know what manga looks like in the original Japanese :shobon:

That's really cool, actually. It never occurred to me that you'd need a pronunciation explanation, is there a specific reason for that? The names are all Japanese (mostly) and I'd imagine the ones that aren't are Stands with actual words in them, so how often do you actually need the pronunciation of something explained?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

As has been stated, one kanji can have many readings, and sometimes it's not obvious what reading you use, such as in a name.

Also, kanji are loving hard to learn and not even a lot of adults have complete mastery of them, let alone the younger audience that reads Jump.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have a few questions.

A. Is the person voicing RHCP's Stand User the same guy from the video games?

B. Why did Keicho want to kill Josuke anyway? Because he killed Angelo? It doesn't even seem like Angelo's power would have been all that useful for killing their dad anyway. Not to mention Angelo is a brutally insane rapist/torturer who can possess bodies, so it wouldn't have been a good idea to let their dad ingest Aqua Necklace anyway.

Roach Warehouse posted:

I hate to be that guy, and I wouldn't expect Araki had it in mind, but a good shot of Hamon would probably do the job re: putting down Dad Nijimura.

I feel like it's probably some kind of weird cellular change at this point, with Dio's cells having changed too much to be destroyed by Hamon.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 29, 2016

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

That was a good Jojo.

I can't remember if they did this in the manga but I really like how much the anime is drawing attention to Okuyasu's right hand when he gestures.

I hate to be that guy, and I wouldn't expect Araki had it in mind, but a good shot of Hamon would probably do the job re: putting down Dad Nijimura.

e: Chilli Pepper is a good name translation, I'm surprised Echoes isn't too ubiquitous a word to merit a change though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think Keicho's thinking was "Josuke killed Angelo, so obviously he's going to be investigating what's going on and he's gonna take the bow and arrow."

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I thought he just didn't want to give up the arrow, and Josuke was gonna keep coming after him until he did.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I feel like it's probably some kind of weird cellular change at this point, with Dio's cells having changed too much to be destroyed by Hamon.

Fair point. I guess if that were the case, a walk out in the sun would probably do the job.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I think Keicho's thinking was "Josuke killed Angelo, so obviously he's going to be investigating what's going on and he's gonna take the bow and arrow."

Ah, that's a good point.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have a few questions.

A. Is the person voicing RHCP's Stand User the same guy from the video games?

Yep

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Can anyone except Joseph really even use hamon anymore? Seems like it's just Stands forever now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hamon is never seen again after Part 3

• Locked thread