Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timn
Mar 16, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

So, anyone wanna critique my PVE Murderboat?

This is it.

PACs are cool and fun for the reasons you already stated. I also agree with lasers and multicannons in a separate firegroup to quickly dispatch smaller ships. I personally also put my multicannons in the firegroup with the PACs and nothing else in order to keep the pressure on without draining capacitor while lining up shots.

Ammo dependence with those weapons really isn't so bad. They have enough to grind out a RES or CZ with only periodic trips back to a station to rearm and turn in your bounties/bonds.

At risk of restarting a terrible derail, turrets are useful but ultimately a crutch if you can learn to make do without them imo. Or maybe tracking small ships is too obnoxious in a conda, I never really used mine for serious combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
For murdering NPCs, turrets are fine. You can use directional and reverse thrusters to line up Vipers and such for gimbal or fixed weapons, but if the goal is to make an :effort: comp stomper Anaconda then turrets will zap them into dust without issue. Against players I wouldn't use turrets since players tend to drop lots of chaff. You can configure turrets to fire forward, but IIRC they do a lot less damage than fixed or untargeted gimbals, so it's not really worth bringing them. But yeah, do whatever against NPCs because they aren't really challenging anyway.

I've yet to see an NPC Corvette or Cutter. Do they show up in RESes? I want something new to FAS to death.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Man I wonder how quickly Frontier is going to cave on building rep with engineers to get access to upgrades :allears:

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=13b2599b4f

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Shine posted:

I've yet to see an NPC Corvette or Cutter. Do they show up in RESes? I want something new to FAS to death.

I think they only show up in conflict zones.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Man I wonder how quickly Frontier is going to cave on building rep with engineers to get access to upgrades :allears:

Interesting that they managed to get Horizons running on XBox. That must've taken some effort, the planet surfaces test even the top desktop GPUs at the moment right?

Kind of thought they'd be doing some custom missions for each Engineer, not sure where I got that impression from though. Looks like they're just regular missions though, unless the 'initial contract' they mention is something special.

e: whether your weapon upgrade includes a 'special effect' will be done by RNG.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 29, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Are they seriously going to require CQC for some engineer upgrades?

Phasing Sequence looks good. Attack that hull directly through the shields :getin:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Oh thank god, finally some mention of explorers. At least Frontier hasn't totally forgotten us.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
I'm so glad that the Engineers are space wizards casting space magic on my ship with dice rolling against result tables to determine what upgrades I might get based on their WIS modifier and my ship's THAC0.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

BMan posted:

I think they only show up in conflict zones.

That's what I've noticed too. Per the description it makes sense since you're only really supposed to see them if the Federal Navy is directly involved, but it's kind of lame for variety's sake.

Have people seen NPC cutters in the wild anywhere? Maybe CZs in Imperial space?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

timn posted:

That's what I've noticed too. Per the description it makes sense since you're only really supposed to see them if the Federal Navy is directly involved, but it's kind of lame for variety's sake.

Have people seen NPC cutters in the wild anywhere? Maybe CZs in Imperial space?

I have seen one as an Assassination target.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Some advice would be appreciated. I'm in a fully loaded Vulture with A ranged everything, and am looking towards the FAS as my next ship.

I have zero federation rank.

I looked in the OP but may have missed any info on raising federation rank. What and where is the best way to do this, preferably while earning money at the same time? A quick google search seemed to find a lot of outdated and conflicting info.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

BitBasher posted:

Some advice would be appreciated. I'm in a fully loaded Vulture with A ranged everything, and am looking towards the FAS as my next ship.

I have zero federation rank.

I looked in the OP but may have missed any info on raising federation rank. What and where is the best way to do this, preferably while earning money at the same time? A quick google search seemed to find a lot of outdated and conflicting info.

Doing donation missions is the easiest way to gain rank. Tun still works apparently.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Doing secret data deliveries also increases rank quickly and is more fun than scumming the bulletin board.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

H13 posted:

So I picked up 9.5 Million bucks worth of smuggling missions from Robigo.

I set out with a huge grin on my face...

...and got scanned after making 1 drop-off. I deployed chaff and was going as fast as I could, but I still got nabbed.

What do I do to not get buggered like this? I made 3 million so not all was lost but was still a bit poo poo.

If you're getting interdicted repeatedly, log out to the main menu and log back in and it will clear all the NPCs from the system you're in.

Always make sure you're approaching the station (why are you docking at a station and not an outpost with your illegal goods? Outposts have no cops.) from planetside, not outside its orbit.

The other option, especially if you don't have guns, is to use task manager to kill elitedangerous.exe before it completes.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Hexenritter posted:

The other option, especially if you don't have guns, is to use task manager to kill elitedangerous.exe before it completes.

Holy poo poo that works? I'm writing a program to kill it by pressing a keyboard button.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

IAmTheRad posted:

Doing donation missions is the easiest way to gain rank. Tun still works apparently.

I do donation missions whenever I come in from RESsing. They just don't seem very common.

Kramjacks posted:

Doing secret data deliveries also increases rank quickly and is more fun than scumming the bulletin board.

So just any missions with a Federal galaxy symbol next to them?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

BitBasher posted:

I do donation missions whenever I come in from RESsing. They just don't seem very common.

So just any missions with a Federal galaxy symbol next to them?

At Tun and 17 Draconis donation missions are plentiful and easy to refresh by switching between solo and open mode.

The missions I was talking about are specifically ones where you need to deliver a message somewhere, and getting scanned fails the mission. I think they are usually called "classified data transfer" or something like that. The further the destination is, the better the rank gain. And yeah, the ones with the Fed symbol for Fed rank. I don't actually know any systems that regularly spawn Fed missions of that type, I've only really done a lot Imperial ones from HIP 10716.

Edit: I find its best to only take missions like that with destinations at outposts to be safe.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Thanks everyone, just got rank 2. I know I'm late to the party here but holy poo poo are these rank up missions rough. Solo killing an Anaconda? It's kind of a coin flip getting through these.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
That's just the nature of the mission system in general. Once you qualify for a rank up you can safely reroll the bulletin board for something easy like delivering normal cargo or running a message.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

BitBasher posted:

Thanks everyone, just got rank 2. I know I'm late to the party here but holy poo poo are these rank up missions rough. Solo killing an Anaconda? It's kind of a coin flip getting through these.

Do you have chaff? Do you use the directional thrusters? Between both of those, a Vulture is more than a match for an NPC Anaconda. The Vulture's directional thruster performance is just as impressive as its pitch speed, to the point where you can keep your guns pointed at an Anaconda while simultaneously circling (sphering?) around to avoid its front, which limits how much fire it can put on you (the front has both the C4 hardpoint, and the convergence point for all the C3 hardpoints). I like to pack multiple chaff launchers so that I can use one while the other is on cooldown, so there's no downtime between chaff release. Between that and cutting off the firing angles by keeping away from the nose, you shouldn't take much damage. And an A-fit Vulture has a shitload of shielding anyway.

The FAS is basically a bigger, meaner Vulture that swaps excellent shields for excellent armor. You'll love it. Just don't let its puny shields rattle you; they're gonna go down all the time and your computer will scream at you about taking damage, and then after you destroy whatever you're fighting you'll have lost like 2% hull integrity.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Eldragon posted:

Holy poo poo that works? I'm writing a program to kill it by pressing a keyboard button.

Yes it does, I've saved myself from overextending my under-specced Python several times in RESes doing the same thing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You can easily damageless kill any solo NPC in a Vulture without really trying. Insert yourself into their rear end in a top hat, 4 pip engines, open fire. You have the most maneuverability, they never get to shoot.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Shine posted:

Do you have chaff? Do you use the directional thrusters? Between both of those, a Vulture is more than a match for an NPC Anaconda. The Vulture's directional thruster performance is just as impressive as its pitch speed, to the point where you can keep your guns pointed at an Anaconda while simultaneously circling (sphering?) around to avoid its front, which limits how much fire it can put on you (the front has both the C4 hardpoint, and the convergence point for all the C3 hardpoints). I like to pack multiple chaff launchers so that I can use one while the other is on cooldown, so there's no downtime between chaff release. Between that and cutting off the firing angles by keeping away from the nose, you shouldn't take much damage. And an A-fit Vulture has a shitload of shielding anyway.

The FAS is basically a bigger, meaner Vulture that swaps excellent shields for excellent armor. You'll love it. Just don't let its puny shields rattle you; they're gonna go down all the time and your computer will scream at you about taking damage, and then after you destroy whatever you're fighting you'll have lost like 2% hull integrity.

Thanks! I haven't tried chaff yet, I have been running anti missile systems. I will give them a shot.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

BitBasher posted:

Thanks! I haven't tried chaff yet, I have been running anti missile systems. I will give them a shot.

Anti-missile is practically useless. I have not seen an NPC use a missile. The closest is hatch breakers, but with shields up they won't work. I have no cargo hold in my combat ships so they won't work even if my shields go down.

Point Defense is REALLY useful if you are doing aerial strikes against planetary bases, however.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

IAmTheRad posted:

Anti-missile is practically useless. I have not seen an NPC use a missile. The closest is hatch breakers, but with shields up they won't work. I have no cargo hold in my combat ships so they won't work even if my shields go down.

Point Defense is REALLY useful if you are doing aerial strikes against planetary bases, however.

They would fire off a few dozen bullets every now and then, I assumed they were doing something useful...

Also for some reason I have not tried landing on a planet yet despite owning Horizons.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 30, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

BitBasher posted:

Also for some reason I have not tried landing on a planet yet despite owning Horizons.
Part of what Braben was talking about in that interview a little while back, they're falling down on ways to lead players towards new/different content.

BitBasher posted:

This sort of thing is what they seem to have worked on for 2.1, rebalancing progression so mission difficulty and rewards make a bit more sense, as well as the UI revamp giving you more info.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

IAmTheRad posted:

On the contrary, I've not only seen NPCs use missiles, I even got blown up by a torpedo once. The rule of thumb is, if you put anti-missile defense on a ship, you probably won't see NPCs using missiles. But if you don't, every second one will spray them like they confused Elite and Macross.

Or I'm just really unlucky. :shepface:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

El Grillo posted:

Part of what Braben was talking about in that interview a little while back, they're falling down on ways to lead players towards new/different content.

I kind of worry that they'll never be successful, since when players are given a galaxy they'll all go farm Robigo because maximum ISK/hour

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Strategic Tea posted:

I kind of worry that they'll never be successful, since when players are given a galaxy they'll all go farm Robigo because maximum ISK/hour

It's rather to be expected when gating content behind cash is such a common design. It hardly even matters how the individual game actually deals with the balance — players are pretty much conditioned to think of money as a barrier that should be overcome as quickly and effortlessly as possible to get to the fun bits. If by some odd coincidence, the quick earner also happens to be fun, then it often tends to get overlooked because hey, it's just the thing you do to get cash, and doing it a lot makes you seem like a money-obsessed grinder.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The Grind is fine - and after triple Elite and getting Cuter/Vette ranks I know the true depths of madness - but the dice roll for special augments has got to loving go.

Arach fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 30, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^not entirely clear on how it's meant to work (whether there's a random chance of getting one of the 'special effects' or whether the random chance is how good that effect will be) but there is a poll up if you wish to register your displeasure. The Stockholm Syndrome brown sea crew are winning right now: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=245354&page=3&p=3819237

Strategic Tea posted:

I think it's more that people do Robigo because there's not much apart from acquiring credits that you can do right now - save for explore. Most other things are kind of locked off behind mechanical difficulties (pvp/background sim/player group stuff) which don't make them impossible (see: Diamond Frogs) but do make them inaccessible to the random player who wants to play the game as opposed to read forums.frontier.co.uk

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 30, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I dunno. Beyond getting a ship with a decent jump range, is there really that much you can do in a Corvette that you can't do in a Cobra? I mean sure you can haul more stuff or kill guys faster, but the gameplay is the same.

I spent a while always wanting to upgrade my ship, but after a bit I just realised that the upgrades weren't actually changing my gameplay at all, and I mostly stopped caring.

(Would like a fer de lance though :c00lbert:)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

Maybe if all those features weren't gated behind either the cash grind or one of literally a half-dozen different rank grinds, not to mention reputation grinds and material grinds, people wouldn't worry so much about efficient ways to grind. And it looks like Engineers are going to make that worse, not better.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Maybe if all those features weren't gated behind either the cash grind or one of literally a half-dozen different rank grinds, not to mention reputation grinds and material grinds, people wouldn't worry so much about efficient ways to grind.
I'm not too sure about this. People almost always seem gravitate towards the most efficient grinding, sometimes to the point of utter self loathing. I think it's a psychological kink we have as a species. It's why gamification is a thing, we'll subject ourselves to the most tedious poo poo ever as long as some imaginary numbers go up.

When CQC came out, a lot of first reactions were "it's really fun, but there's no point in doing it because you don't earn enough credits!"

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

tooterfish posted:

When CQC came out, a lot of first reactions were "it's really fun, but there's no point in doing it because you don't earn enough credits!"

The only reason I've participated in CQC is to keep Angrymog happy :3

timn
Mar 16, 2010
There's a line to be drawn between what is a 'grind' and what is just having to do stuff to get stuff. If Frontier just released the update with the engineer locations marked on your map and the upgrades on offer right away for free, it would feel weak and shallow. There is probably no game in existence where the gameplay can't be broken down into individually mundane tasks building up to a reward. The difference is made by how well you dress it up with purpose, variety, and spectacle.

Frontier is also fighting an uphill battle with that since everything is more or less procedural. The engineers is actually a departure in that sense by creating unique people in unique locations offering unique stuff.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
As far as grind; the base gameplay is so compelling because of the great design, I reckon if they actually utilised it well - through things like proper design variety for missions, better player interaction/in-universe PVP, keep on with the QoL improvements (in-system jumps or choice of start when jumping in, etc) - grind wouldn't be a problem. The problem is right now, there's not much to do except to grind. The only way to get over that is either to add a wider variety of more interesting missions/encounters, or to facilitate player-generated content (whether it be player organisations or more player-based economy or whatever).

I think right now they're still making the same mistakes a lot of MMO developers make when they're starting out; adding big new headline features instead of fleshing out and fixing what they've already got. Although the mission UI fixes are a good step in the right direction.
The unique :frontear: side of it is that their big headline features also seem to be simultaneously niche, lacking in broad consequence/applicability (Power Play, Engineers), and geared towards really bleak grinding.

e: Basically, flying around is great and shooting spaceships is great, I would be so happy if they added some variety to the 'flying around' and 'shooting people' gameplays (more stealth mission types, interesting combat locations/objectives etc.)
I have a little hope, because console/VR will continue to bring in people who aren't as sperg-tastic as the brown sea crowd.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 30, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

El Grillo posted:

The unique :frontear: side of it is that their big headline features also seem to be simultaneously niche, lacking in broad consequence/applicability (Power Play, Engineers), and geared towards really bleak grinding.
I find it really weird that there are still only 3 station types and still nothing to do while switching star systems. You spend SO MUCH of your time either docking, in supercruise, or in that 10s system jump. With no autopilot the least you can do is let me play with nav settings or something. Also, cache all systems within 1 jump so that it doesn't take 10 seconds to bring up the local system map, please

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Maybe if all those features weren't gated behind either the cash grind or one of literally a half-dozen different rank grinds, not to mention reputation grinds and material grinds, people wouldn't worry so much about efficient ways to grind. And it looks like Engineers are going to make that worse, not better.

That's just it - there are no features. There are only more ships, and while I love spaceships, once you have a decent jump range having different ships doesn't open up any new gameplay at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Bhodi posted:

I find it really weird that there are still only 3 station types and still nothing to do while switching star systems. You spend SO MUCH of your time either docking, in supercruise, or in that 10s system jump. With no autopilot the least you can do is let me play with nav settings or something. Also, cache all systems within 1 jump so that it doesn't take 10 seconds to bring up the local system map, please

I would add to this:

The chargeup + jump sequence represents a large~ish contiguous chunk of player downtime. It would be handy if the jump sequence did not pull the player out of the galaxy map / systems menu / galnet. Is there a reason why they make you sit there and watch the jump sequence instead of allowing the player to do something else?

• Locked thread