Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

They could fire up Dragon Magazine again and just hire some editors and let people bomb them with free articles that they could pick and choose from (and refine/flesh out).

They could also allow submissions pertaining to any edition of actual DnD. Just have it tagged clearly "based on ruleset B/1e/2e/3e/4e/5e" and let people run with it and share ideas.

They were even already doing this with Dungeon Magazine near the end, where some of the adventures were actually statted for AD&D

Payndz posted:

They could probably get someone to pay them to produce Dragon again (by licencing it), and just have one guy on WotC's D&D staff whose job it is to say yay or nay to whatever fan-made free content the licencee is planning to publish each issue so they can maintain control over the IP as a whole. Christ, that guy probably wouldn't have to spend more than two days a month approving the proposals if the lead times were long enough, and if the mag is online only they don't even have to worry about finding replacement editorial to fill the pages if something's turned down.

Basically, they could get other people to give them money for the privilege of taking all the risk and doing all the work.

And they were ALSO doing this with how Paizo used to be the ones doing Dungeon and Dragon Magazines in the 3rd Edition era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Payndz posted:

They could probably get someone to pay them to produce Dragon again (by licencing it), and just have one guy on WotC's D&D staff whose job it is to say yay or nay to whatever fan-made free content the licencee is planning to publish each issue so they can maintain control over the IP as a whole. Christ, that guy probably wouldn't have to spend more than two days a month approving the proposals if the lead times were long enough, and if the mag is online only they don't even have to worry about finding replacement editorial to fill the pages if something's turned down.

Basically, they could get other people to give them money for the privilege of taking all the risk and doing all the work.
But what if he had jury duty.

knux911 posted:

*sigh*
There used to be regular Dungeon and Dragon magazines coming out via DnD Insider.
Plenty of new options and flavour etc. for players and DMs.

All that thrown aside and everything wound back so the game doesn't evolve anymore.
A lot of 4e's splat problems came from the crunch magazine. There was a rule where each thing had to have x feats, y powers etc. So if someone came up with a neat sorcerer article and wanted to include a few neat spells and a thematic magic item they also had to throw out some gently caress-it-just-make-up-the-numbers feats. A lot of the "why would you do this" content is stuff scribbled at the last minute to allow the good stuff to be published.

e: so concept, great, implementation, eugh.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 28, 2016

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Payndz posted:

Isn't this basically what the DM Guild is?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Does that "Celebrity D&D" thing doesn't happen anymore at conventions? Because elf game podcasts would probably jump at the chance to do a sponsored play arc. I mean if you got the Godsfall people to play Dragonlance and then use that as a platform for the source book your have the model that people are already asking for/doing. Then just move on with Cthulu and Friends doing Ravenloft and so on.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Terrible as they are, my friends all watched the penny arcade guys play 4e, and were psyched to play it too

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
The PA gang got me psyched for 4e, too.

My group hated it, but, y'know.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The PA Guys genuinely enjoyed 4e. And would tell you what they liked, and why they liked it.

The 5e streams looked like they had genuinely lost interest but were doing them because they were being paid to do so.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
The most damming/best part of the 5e podcast is when Kurtz announces that he'd been drawing out of boredom for the past several minutes.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I dunno. I don't think that bit is as damning as people make it out to be. I think Kurtz is just a dork who decided to doodle while other people were talking.

It's kinda sad when the PA guys are talking about how cool it was that 4E let leaders heal and do cool poo poo, and the only thing Mearls has to offer is "well you can use healing word as a minor bonus action then smack a dude with your hammer, just like in 4E!" and then it turns out that, while yes you can do that, it is a terrible idea and it sucks.

I feel like Mearls was ill equipped to sell the game to people who actually liked 4E since they were not the core audience.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FRINGE posted:

They could fire up Dragon Magazine again and just hire some editors and let people bomb them with free articles that they could pick and choose from (and refine/flesh out).

They could also allow submissions pertaining to any edition of actual DnD. Just have it tagged clearly "based on ruleset B/1e/2e/3e/4e/5e" and let people run with it and share ideas.

This clearly requires more personnel than they're willing to hire. Indications are that the actual D&D team at this point is a small handful of people.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
From the new survey results:

quote:

In terms of overall content, feats were far and away the most requested new element. Over 70 percent of you want more feats for your game. Feats also had the least opposition to their expansion. Because we haven’t released any products focused on new feats since the launch of the game, we know there’s definitely some pent-up demand for them. But feats are perhaps the thorniest element to design for D&D, as they tend to span multiple abilities and can trigger weird interactions that the game’s core design can’t always account for. As a result, we’ll be taking things slowly as we explore options and starting points for new feat development.

Guess jury duty finally wrapped up?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Oh. More feats. Joy.

Gee, maybe they'll come up with a load of new spells next.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I became a technical writer partly to write game manuals. After watching the publishing industry dry up, learning more and more bad things about WotC, and interviewing at a local gaming company, I no longer want anything to do with the established gaming industry.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Huh, 70% wants new feats? That's funny... 5e fanboys assured me that the glacially slow release of new supplements was a good thing and the silent majority agreed with them. Nobody wants feats and bloat up the game because 5e is for roleplayers not rollplayers, they said. Strange how that turned out.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

There need to be more useless feats to act as prerequisites for the broken prestige classes they're going to add.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Kaysette posted:

There need to be more useless feats to act as prerequisites for the broken prestige classes they're going to add.

How much money on Feats that let spellcasters ignore what few restrictions they currenctly have?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

quote:

as they tend to span multiple abilities and can trigger weird interactions that the game’s core design can’t always account for.

i know it's an actual concern for game design but i love how terrified they are of any design elements interacting with each other.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
How many of you all are in active 5e games right now? I've been DMing Rage of Demon modules at the store I go to but might get a break from it to play when we start up Strahd.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Trast posted:

How many of you all are in active 5e games right now? I've been DMing Rage of Demon modules at the store I go to but might get a break from it to play when we start up Strahd.

I'm playing a game that I may drop out of right now, which coincidentally is running a modified version of the Strahd lead-in to be level-appropriate for 5th or 6th level characters. I am also currently running hotdq for a different group, much to everyone's chagrin.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Bluedeanie posted:

I am also currently running hotdq for a different group, much to everyone's chagrin.

But... Why? Why would you do that to your friends and yourself?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Bluedeanie posted:

I'm playing a game that I may drop out of right now, which coincidentally is running a modified version of the Strahd lead-in to be level-appropriate for 5th or 6th level characters. I am also currently running hotdq for a different group, much to everyone's chagrin.

By lead in you mean the launch event adventure? One of our tables is going to start that soon and mine will probably follow after a few weeks. What do you think of it so far without giving away anything that would spoil the story?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Trast posted:

By lead in you mean the launch event adventure? One of our tables is going to start that soon and mine will probably follow after a few weeks. What do you think of it so far without giving away anything that would spoil the story?

Yes. I think it's pretty fun honestly. I know everyone shits on first level being unfun to play and like I said, we're doing it with harder versions of similar monsters to make encounters more level appropriate so I don't have much of a feel for how easy or difficult it would be if we were doing it straight. There are a decent number of encounters and the atmosphere is cool if you like macabre sort of things, and there's also a lot of exploration and problem solving so it's not just Level 1 World 1 of Castlevania where you whip the poo poo out of zombies and ghosts and do nothing else.

Mecha Gojira posted:

But... Why? Why would you do that to your friends and yourself?

I don't respect myself or my time. Honestly for the most part I think my party is having fun but they agree that the pacing and plot drag at times (we've been on the caravan for too long even after I cut a lot of encounters) and they feel it is kind of railroady as written, which unfortunately this is my first time DMing a full campaign so I am not quite good enough at adjusting things to avoid that.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Bluedeanie posted:

Yes. I think it's pretty fun honestly. I know everyone shits on first level being unfun to play and like I said, we're doing it with harder versions of similar monsters to make encounters more level appropriate so I don't have much of a feel for how easy or difficult it would be if we were doing it straight. There are a decent number of encounters and the atmosphere is cool if you like macabre sort of things, and there's also a lot of exploration and problem solving so it's not just Level 1 World 1 of Castlevania where you whip the poo poo out of zombies and ghosts and do nothing else.

I don't respect myself or my time. Honestly for the most part I think my party is having fun but they agree that the pacing and plot drag at times (we've been on the caravan for too long even after I cut a lot of encounters) and they feel it is kind of railroady as written, which unfortunately this is my first time DMing a full campaign so I am not quite good enough at adjusting things to avoid that.

Hey first time DMing buddy. :hfive:

My table of players are actually all first time players except for one guy so it's been an interesting growing experience. It is interesting watching them come up with outside the box solutions to problems and it helps me in coming up with ways to deal with it without being overwhelmed with left turns like a bunch of experienced players might throw at me. I also give them hints to creative things and see who is paying attention.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Elfgames posted:

i know it's an actual concern for game design but i love how terrified they are of any design elements interacting with each other.

Then why the gently caress did they include by-level multiclassing?

No, don't tell me, I know this - because it was in 3e.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Trast posted:

Just wrapped up Out of the Abyss as a player after playing every Wednesday for many months. We're actually going back and starting Princes of the Apocalypse since we never ran it before and we're starting a rotating DM schedule. We heard Strahd is awesome but not with rotating DM since one person really needs to be the puppet master and know everything. The store does AL modules on Mondays too but I can't make those.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Trast posted:

I'm running a homebrew game, playing in another two homebrew games, and am a player in an Out of the Abyss game and a Dragon Queen game. Granted those are of a variety of different frequencies. One of the homebrews is weekly, the one I run and the Out of the Abyss game are both biweekly, and the Dragon Queen and last homebrew are like once a month at best.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Caphi posted:

Then why the gently caress did they include by-level multiclassing?

No, don't tell me, I know this - because it was in 3e.

I know I've told this story before but it really was legitimately hilarious watching this go down at ENWorld. I can't think of a better example of 5e's target demographics. Time and time again you saw demand for freestyle multiclassing. It HAS to be in the game, and without limitations! How am I supposed to roleplay without it?! How do I show a rogue has found religion without giving them a level in cleric?! If it's not in there the game is ruined!

So they put it in there.

And then someone pointed out how you can use it to make characters strong, and like, duh?

The reversal was immediate. It's just there for minmaxers! There have to be limitaitons! You can't just let people go all willy nilly! What if a rogue puts a level in cleric because it makes him stronger? That can't be allowed!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Multiclassing is really broken RAW, too. There's that four-level thing because ASIs are considered class features and there are specific exceptions for cross-classing proficiency and casting, but not ASIs. There's also the multiclassing stat requirements, which are kind of hosed, i.e. you need 13 str to multiclass with fighter, barbarian, or paladin, even though you can be a finesse build with two of those. Guess dex fighters can't multiclass!

It's really obviously a jammed-in system but it's probably loving up ongoing class design because they're terrified of dips.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
The annoying part of this form of multiclassing is it encourages the actually good stuff to be placed toward the middle or end of the leveling process.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I've been listening to a podcast called The Adventure Zone where 3 brothers and their dad gently caress around and have a lot of fun sort-of playing 5e. It really makes me crave tabletop gaming but I'm wondering: is there even the faintest rumbling of them releasing an Eberron campaign setting? If not ... do they announce materials years in advance, or is there a chance of them going "oh lol, Eberron is coming out next month get hype!"

God I love Eberron. :allears:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Trast posted:

Currently in a campaign myself, it's taken quite the turn and then back again. It's gotten to the point where the barbarian can no-longer 1 shot the casters so things might change but I've enjoyed it so far.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

poor life choice posted:

I've been listening to a podcast called The Adventure Zone where 3 brothers and their dad gently caress around and have a lot of fun sort-of playing 5e. It really makes me crave tabletop gaming but I'm wondering: is there even the faintest rumbling of them releasing an Eberron campaign setting? If not ... do they announce materials years in advance, or is there a chance of them going "oh lol, Eberron is coming out next month get hype!"

God I love Eberron. :allears:

They put out a lovely half-rear end web supplement with a shifter, warforged, and sorta changeling races, and a real bad "artificer" wizard.

That's probably all you'll ever get. Far as anyone - Baker included - knows, there's been little to no talks about Eberron at WotC, and with the WotC forums gone, a lot of Eberron conversation (and to be frank a lot of D&D conversation period) has dried up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Just play Eberron in 4e. It's literally the perfect system for it.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Oh so is 5e just ... really bad? I never played 4, so the whole "pared down 3rd edition" stuff seems appealing. I clicked through the last few pages of complaints but (optimistically?) thought that was just goons gooning.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's fine. If you enjoyed the actual gameplay of 3e (as opposed to the complex character creation which is a legitimate draw) , but want it to be simpler (at the expense of some portion of the baby being thrown out with the bathwater), then 5e is the game for you.

I feel like the set of people who like D&D-style combat- and dungeon-dominated sessions but who are better served by 5e instead of 4e, pathfinder, or a board game is rather small, but it's not like 5e is terrible.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I'd say it's better than 3rd but it's disappointing how big a step back it was from 4th.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

It's fine. If you enjoyed the actual gameplay of 3e (as opposed to the complex character creation which is a legitimate draw) , but want it to be simpler (at the expense of some portion of the baby being thrown out with the bathwater), then 5e is the game for you.

I feel like the set of people who like D&D-style combat- and dungeon-dominated sessions but who are better served by 5e instead of 4e, pathfinder, or a board game is rather small, but it's not like 5e is terrible.

There are worse games than 5E but this is damning the entire industry with faint praise. For some reason we have posters dedicated to running down 5E on every single page and yet there are so many games that deserve far more verbal abuse--it's just that they're not D&D.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

poor life choice posted:

Oh so is 5e just ... really bad? I never played 4, so the whole "pared down 3rd edition" stuff seems appealing. I clicked through the last few pages of complaints but (optimistically?) thought that was just goons gooning.

No, 5e is honestly objectively terrible in pretty much every way. It's a mess to play, run, whatever.

If you want to run an Eberron game, 4e is genuinely perfect for you. Keith Baker said as much himself. 4e specifically emphasizes big set piece fights and some pulp action like Eberron wants, and gets rid of a lot of 3e stuff in the core rules that Eberron did too (like monsters that are always one set alignment.)

The people who didn't like 4e are idiot grognards who gave 4e a bad reputation as "not real D&D." They're the exact same people who like 5e because it's "real D&D" to them, aka a retrograde ball of poo poo. Don't listen to them. I promise you, 4e is what you want.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

poor life choice posted:

its a very flawed iterative improvement of 3E that fails to incorporate and in most cases actively rejects the mechanical improvements of 4E- which might be fine if it had its own ideas, but instead it chooses to substitute highly under-designed mechanics based on what "feels right" to a collection of regressive D&D fans who have gotten high by huffing nostalgia fumes

its a much worse game than 4E, but so was D&D 3.x and people played that (with varying degrees of success) for years- the difference is that D&D 3.x had massive amounts of ongoing official and third party support, while D&D 5E's release schedule can be best described as "glacial" and most of what has been released consists of web supplements containing unedited first draft material that makes the mechanically underdeveloped core books look like paragons of focused design

there are definitely far worse RPGs out there, but its probably the most disappointing one on the market right now relative to what it could and should have been

LGD fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

There are worse games than 5E but this is damning the entire industry with faint praise. For some reason we have posters dedicated to running down 5E on every single page and yet there are so many games that deserve far more verbal abuse--it's just that they're not D&D.

The problem is that D&D is the most prominent, popular flagship for the entire industry. People don't go "hey I should play more RPGs, let me pick up the new version of Black Tokyo or Beast or HERO or whatever" without knowing a bit about what they're getting into. D&D, they do.

So the point is, the most prominent well-known game is a regression and is actively designed to be bad in so many ways. That's worth pointing out to new people, to push them to more recent games that do do what they want to do. It's the same as coming back to Warhammer and picking up Age of Sigmar. You try to stop people from buying intentionally bad products.