Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Athletic Detroit or the Detroit Urbans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

they have the lions and tigers, it's gotta be bears

oh my

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

hmm, a quick google search shows that the "motor city bears" has already been taking by another, different, group

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

whypick1 posted:

Good plan, let people know you're serious about establishing a winning tradition by naming your Detroit-based team "Lions".

mountain lions aren't actually lions, I'm hoping the locals' knowledge of these beautiful animals will prevent any confusion. otherwise we can go with catamounts or pumas or something.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

trem_two posted:

Detroit Rock City. IMO.

Detroit RCFC... I like it.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

be nice wicka posted:

i used to like the idea of generic names because it gave the fans the opportunity to organically choose their own nickname, but so far that's led to really great things like "TFC" and "shirt color" and "NYCFC" so gently caress it, i hope they pick an animal with claws. detroit mountain lions.

Red Wings and Pistons are good names. I have faith Detroit could come up with something decent...

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Motor City Machine Guns is probably up for sale, jump on that.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Give me the San Jose Clash and Miami Fusion over NYCFC or LAFC any day.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

African AIDS cum posted:

Athletic Detroit

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

MoPZiG posted:

Give me the San Jose Clash and Miami Fusion over NYCFC or LAFC any day.

B-But that's not how Europe does it?!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

motor city would be a great team name

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

be nice wicka posted:

motor city would be a great team name

Should hire Ben Olsen as coach, "HIGH WORKRATE PLAYERS ONLY ARE YOU LAZY BUT WITH FLAIR... gently caress YOU GET ON THE BENCH, WERE MOTOR CITY"!!!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Detroit Bailouts
Detroit Lead (then they can have a rivalry with Bethlehem Steel)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm so conflicted about a Detroit MLS team.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
it's pretty danged impressive for detroit city fc to get the entirety of the city to attend their home games. i presume their promotions of free real estate in areas with working city services is really getting those people through the turnstiles.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

MoPZiG posted:

Red Wings and Pistons are good names. I have faith Detroit could come up with something decent...

The Pistons name comes from Fort Wayne, Indiana, though. In fact, most of the sports team still in FW have great names: Mad Ants, Tincaps, and Mastodons.

Put an MLS team in Fort Wayne. Have Jamar Beasley come back home to manage it.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 28, 2016

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Jack2142 posted:

Should hire Ben Olsen as coach, "HIGH WORKRATE PLAYERS ONLY ARE YOU LAZY BUT WITH RIC FLAIR... gently caress YOU GET ON THE BENCH, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"!!! /falls down in the airport

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
Revs 2016: MORE DRAWING THAN RISD!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Good plan, let people know you're serious about establishing a winning tradition by naming your Detroit-based team "Lions".
Which would still be better than fakey "traditional" names like Real Salt Lake and Atlanta United and Orlando City SC

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Which would still be better than fakey "traditional" names like Real Salt Lake and Atlanta United and Orlando City SC

well lets get one thing straight: the latter two are just regular bad and boring and low effort. on the other hand, real salt lake's continued existence undermines the entire the league. real salt lake is a name you give to an under-12 rec team.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hoover Dam posted:

Revs 2016: MORE DRAWING THAN RISD!

But will we beat Chicago's record??

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The Revs are bad, which is dumb because there are a lot of individually talented players on this team.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I like watching them play right up until it's time for them to try to score.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Allow me to add my voice to the chorus of mysticism at the Rapids start.

Also they just sent me an invite to a season ticket pregame event, which may include free tickets to this weekends match against the Evil Monarchists for myself and a guest. I really can't afford season tickets but this offer is tempting just for the free match.

EDIT: Oh wait that's Derby Day, gently caress that noise.

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 29, 2016

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
I'm at SFO airport and saw the entire San Jose Quakes taking a standard United airlines flight to PHL. I thought that teams (even MLS ones) would have their own charter plane.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Tank44 posted:

I'm at SFO airport and saw the entire San Jose Quakes taking a standard United airlines flight to PHL. I thought that teams (even MLS ones) would have their own charter plane.

you're only allowed x number of chartered flights a year because it's an unfair advantage to the poorer teams

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I think teams are only allowed so many chartered flights in a season.

I also hope you took the opportunity to curse out Wondo over the Belgium game.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Tank44 posted:

timbers are sponsored by an airline and they regularly fly coach with multiple layovers. they didn't even get to fly on the timbers-branded plane til they went to the final!

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

the escape goat posted:

timbers are sponsored by an airline and they regularly fly coach with multiple layovers. they didn't even get to fly on the timbers-branded plane til they went to the final!

[img]Sounders Eddie Johnson boarding Timbers plane[/img]

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Aurélien Collin to NYRB.

Thank God!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
We really need a center back and he's decent for the level of the league. Smart move imo, the defense is in shambles right now because of all the injuries. Once Klose comes in (rumours have started up again) we're shooting back up the table.

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004

Zero One posted:

Aurélien Collin to NYRB.

Thank God!

I feel bad for all of the Orlando City fans who bought shirts with Collin's name on the back. I mean, spending money on something with his name on it was bad enough. So far this season he wasn't even starting. Now it looks like he won't even be on the team.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Conartist posted:

I feel bad for all of the Orlando City fans who bought shirts with Collin's name on the back. I mean, spending money on something with his name on it was bad enough. So far this season he wasn't even starting. Now it looks like he won't even be on the team.

If you buy a jersey with anyone's name on it that isn't a solid DP (not a young DP, not a lovely DP) then you are a moron idiot imbecile and a fool

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Yeah man, players come and go, teams are for as long as your stadium is new

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

XyrlocShammypants posted:

If you buy a jersey with anyone's name on it that isn't a solid DP (not a young DP, not a lovely DP) then you are a moron idiot imbecile and a fool

Should I get a Wondo jersey?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Strong Mouse posted:

Counts as a solid DP

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Honestly who even buys jerseys? I think I own, like, one Fire jersey, and I got it when I was a kid.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Strong Mouse posted:

Only if it's a Belgium jersey.

Hello Towel posted:

Honestly who even buys jerseys? I think I own, like, one Fire jersey, and I got it when I was a kid.

Are you one of those "men don't wear shorts" people too?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Xylorjax posted:

Only if it's a Belgium jersey.

Are you one of those "men don't wear shorts" people too?

i only have one jersey and also don't wear shorts :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Azerban posted:

i only have one jersey and also don't wear shorts :ohdear:

Well you don't really need to wear shorts in Canada

• Locked thread