Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

UNPOPULAR OPINION TIME: The charge impact looks goofy as gently caress. It literally looks like the Chaos cav has bumpers attached to them. They're not even moving that fast, yet still send the dwarves soaring through the air.

Does the cavalry impact look more impactful? Technically yes.
Does it look like absolute rear end for other reasons? Absolutely yes.

I don't give a poo poo about realism. It looks super fun/funny/satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm not worried about it looking unrealistic. I'm worried about it looking awful.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I'm not worried about it looking unrealistic. I'm worried about it looking awful.

Launching dwarves into the stratosphere is never a bad thing. It's where they belong.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

UNPOPULAR OPINION TIME: The charge impact looks goofy as gently caress. It literally looks like the Chaos cav has bumpers attached to them. They're not even moving that fast, yet still send the dwarves soaring through the air.

Does the cavalry impact look more impactful? Technically yes.
Does it look like absolute rear end for other reasons? Absolutely yes.

I rather like it. It's completely over the top, and that's what I want in my orc infested magical war game.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

my dad posted:

a gif of that Brettonian lord owning that undead abomination

Assuming there wasn't one made already:

http://i.imgur.com/wivXEDP.gifv

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Oblivious posted:

Its unrealistic AND looks like poo poo.

If you want goofy cartoon fantasy play warcraft or something

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Just from a gameplay control perspective flinging units far from the formation could be a pain when trying to control a unit and it has individuals now tied up in 3+ different melees.

Hopefully if they get blasted far they are dead dead and not just knocked down.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Beans posted:

Just from a gameplay control perspective flinging units far from the formation could be a pain when trying to control a unit and it has individuals now tied up in 3+ different melees.

Hopefully if they get blasted far they are dead dead and not just knocked down.

This is total war we are talking about.

One soldier out of formation bugs the whole unit into uselessness

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm sorry but it's just not Total War if dudes aren't flying 30 ft in the air like they're in a Schwarzenegger flick and then casually getting back up for more.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

I dont know posted:

Here is what each LL gets as a trait per the wiki. They don't mention high tier starting units, but I would guess they would go along with the general type of unit each LL favors:

In theory sure, but most LL's bonuses have nothing to do with big endgame units, so I'm guessing it'll be more lore/theme based who gets what.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Phi230 posted:

I'm having trouble with this.

Warcraft is somehow goofy cartoon fantasy and Warhammer is not? Have you seen Warhammer? Rats in a wheel with guns on? A race of green fungus men what talk with accents?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

madmac posted:

In theory sure, but most LL's bonuses have nothing to do with big endgame units, so I'm guessing it'll be more lore/theme based who gets what.

I wonder if it's only units or if you could get heroes too. So Gelt could start with a Battle Wizard or Kemmler could start with a Necromancer or something in place of a big unit.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Murgos posted:

I'm having trouble with this.

Warcraft is somehow goofy cartoon fantasy and Warhammer is not? Have you seen Warhammer? Rats in a wheel with guns on? A race of green fungus men what talk with accents?

Maybe its because the models are not cartoons and the whole series aims for a grimdark aesthetic

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Phi230 posted:

:lol:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Maybe its because the models are not cartoons and the whole series aims for a grimdark aesthetic

40k is the one that disappeared up its own rear end in a top hat in a grimdark singularity.

Fantasy is the one that does, or did, still know to not take itself quite so goddamn seriously.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I have my reservations about how pronounced the knockdown on dwarfs. On the tabletop the Dwarfs all have an innate resistance to being charged, but based on these unit cards only Longbeards and Ironbreakers can stand up to any sort of charge. I mean granted we've got a worst case scenario for the Dwarfs in this video but outside of Ungrim Ironfist I don't think I saw a dwarf stay standing when it could've been knocked down. It wouldn't be so bad, but then the bombs dropped by the Gyrobomber didn't cause any knockdown that I could see, which feels like an especially nasty double standard.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a group of Thunderers should be able to tank a hit from Kholek "I hit like a freight-train full of neutron stars" Suneater, but it's really important that the Dwarfs can stand up to charges when they lack any sort of polearms.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

When the dudes with giant gently caress-off bright orange mohawks get stuck in with a squad of penis-armed orgy-goers, you know you're in for some deep, thought provoking poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Let's be honest here both Warhammer and Warcraft pretend to be serious but they are both really silly/pulpy. They just go about different ways. Warhammer is pulp with a thin veneer of grimdark while Warcraft is pulp with a thin veneer of "Metzen is not a totally garbage writer".

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Those dwarfs look like they're made out of plastic. No weight at all to them.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Phi230 posted:

Nope, no cartoons here.

There is nothing funny about the 100% always Grimdark Warhammer. They coined the term you know.

Yessir, only the utmost decorum is allowed for my plastic armymans.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If you cant tell the difference in tone between warcraft and warhammer either youre an idiot acting like a dick or you intentionally misinterpereted what I was saying so you could be smug.

gently caress me for not wanting to see stupid poo poo in a game

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
You forgot the most serious of all

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Those ogres arent even official

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Phi230 posted:

What about this one?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thats concept art from WAR.

Why are you being so deliberatly obtuse. Like drat if I wasnt on my phone Id be posting all of the poo poo that make the tone non cartoony

Is there humor? Yes.

Is it over the top and campy? Yes

But its not a loving cartoon in tone ala warcraft.

poo poo that cav charge also looks completely out of place when compared to all the other gameplay from TWW

Yea the cav charge looks cool if youre dumb

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 29, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'll agree that Wacraft is more silly and/or kiddo retard stuff that Warhammer in general by a noticeable margin.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I want to see someone do a realism mod for Total Warhammer.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Thats concept art from WAR.

Why are you being so deliberatly obtuse. Like drat if I wasnt on my phone Id be posting all of the poo poo that make the tone non cartoony

Is there humor? Yes.

Is it over the top and campy? Yes

But its not a loving cartoon in tone ala warcraft.

poo poo that cav charge also looks completely out of place when compared to all the other gameplay from TWW

Yea the cav charge looks cool if youre dumb

shut the gently caress uppppp holy poo poo

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The beards and moustaches of The Empire would have to be considerably toned down in a 'realism mod'

Please think about the words you say and the damage they may do.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

shut the gently caress uppppp holy poo poo

Stop being a whiney bitch dude drat

Im even talking about the game what are you doing

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Triskelli posted:

I have my reservations about how pronounced the knockdown on dwarfs. On the tabletop the Dwarfs all have an innate resistance to being charged, but based on these unit cards only Longbeards and Ironbreakers can stand up to any sort of charge. I mean granted we've got a worst case scenario for the Dwarfs in this video but outside of Ungrim Ironfist I don't think I saw a dwarf stay standing when it could've been knocked down. It wouldn't be so bad, but then the bombs dropped by the Gyrobomber didn't cause any knockdown that I could see, which feels like an especially nasty double standard.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a group of Thunderers should be able to tank a hit from Kholek "I hit like a freight-train full of neutron stars" Suneater, but it's really important that the Dwarfs can stand up to charges when they lack any sort of polearms.

from what I can remember of playing the thundering falls battle (this was 6 months ago at pax aus mind you) the dwarves got knocked down a lot less. That may have been partly due to mostly fighting spiders, and also fighting uphill (those chaos lancers for example were charging down a slight slope behind the dwarf lines) but they may have fiddled around a little for whatever reason.

also there were also those chaos warriors from the start of the video
http://i.imgur.com/NbHCj5g.gifv

Skandranon posted:

You forgot the most serious of all

holy poo poo I only realised the pose was a reference to the new actor trying to hide his face in plan 9 from outer space https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaE7lm1ObGM

pnutz fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 29, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Phi230 posted:

:ironicat:
Can't really call someone out for being whiny when that is all you do.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I love the posts of triggered grogs that appear from time to time in this thread

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Im even talking about the game what are you doing

you should stop talking about the game because you are really stupid

e: phi230 circa 2002: *smashing face into ruined keyboard* loving CELDA

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sarmhan posted:

:ironicat:
Can't really call someone out for being whiny when that is all you do.

frajaq posted:

I love the posts of triggered grogs that appear from time to time in this thread

Others have said the charge looks stupid

All unpopular opinions must be whiners

Grow up fam god drat

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Phi230 posted:

If you cant tell the difference in tone between warcraft and warhammer either youre an idiot acting like a dick or you intentionally misinterpereted what I was saying so you could be smug.

gently caress me for not wanting to see stupid poo poo in a game

Perish the thought! The nuanced setting and layered worldbuilding of Warhammer Fantasy Battles is one I hold a deep respect for and keep completely segregated in my mind from that other game that you mentioned.

Phi230 posted:

Absolutely. There is zero place for customization or flavor in a game that requires you to build and paint your plastic armymans. Hence why I stick religiously to the painting guidelines laid out by Games Workshop and only use their officially sanctioned figures. Why I just finished my very real and serious grimdark army just the other day!

These are my Dawi Zharr warriors, you can tell they're extra evil because they have fangs and wear skulls and lots of red. They turn everybody into slaves and are awesome. They have awesome shotguns that can kill anything.

Been working on some Dawi Zharr Bull Centaurs too. They worship this Chaos God you probably haven't heard of called Hashut. He's way better than the other gods because he's the god of Fire and Darkness (Which are opposites so it makes him rich and complicated).

And this is... Hey wait a second, this isn't a Dawi! That's another one of those goofy Ogres! Go on, get! Shoo! You're triggering Phi, and he's very sensitive about these things. Get out of here!

Phew. Got rid of all the goofy stuff. Where would we be if people didn't take Warhammer just as seriously as we do?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Phi230 posted:

No, it doesn't. WH40K was originally a massive deliberate farce until it got taken over by writers that missed the satire and WHFB is still a giant joke.

I will agree that I think the charge was a tiny bit too much though. It looked awesome, but that zoomed everything flew too far, especially since those were dwarven infantry. What're gobbos going to do, vaporize?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

you should stop talking about the game because you are really stupid

e: phi230 circa 2002: *smashing face into ruined keyboard* loving CELDA

Why are you such a prick

Are you so invested in total warhammer you feel rage at those who dont share your love of a loving video game

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Why are you such a prick

Are you so invested in total warhammer you feel rage at those who dont share your love of a loving video game
Dude, all you do is post your lovely, uniformed opinions that read like they came out of grog.txt
People aren't obligated to be nice to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Triskelli posted:

Perish the thought! The nuanced setting and layered worldbuilding of Warhammer Fantasy Battles is one I hold a deep respect for and keep completely segregated in my mind from that other game that you mentioned.

When have I ever claimed that whfb was deep or nuanced.

Youre ignoring what im saying completely so you can act like a smug douchebag dude

• Locked thread