Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

Why have a poise stat?

this is an argument in favor of giving the invader more advantages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Szcwczuk posted:

Agreed. It's stupid how many ways these kids can get away from half the game.

Imagine being so out of touch that you're willing to call someone who is better than you at a video game a child

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Spanish Manlove posted:

Why have a poise stat?

Oh my, that's one hell of a strawman you have there.

CJacobs posted:

Imagine being so out of touch that you're willing to call someone who is better than you at a video game a child

How are you better than me when you summon 3 other people and get a blue to 5v1 or 5v2.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

voltron lion force posted:

Usually a gank is a surprise attack. The invader is the "ganker". In DS for some reason people say it when they mean they are getting ganged up on. Similar to how when people say they "one shot" the boss they mean they beat it on the first try, not killed it in one hit (the normal meaning)

A gank isn't so much a surprise attack as it is an unfair attack. Invasions in the Souls series is pretty much tailored to being a gank. While you can't get the advantage by ganging up on someone (for the most part), you have the enemies on your side and you can attack the host when they're vulnerable (low HP, fighting mobs, etc.).

e: loving carebear children ruining my VIDEOGAMES :qq:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Invading is neither hard nor hillarious, its simply frustrating due to carebear mode.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

pressing the x button in front of fog door takes real skill only "swordmaster" can achieve"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GulagDolls posted:

pressing the x button in front of fog door takes real skill only "swordmaster" can achieve"

If you invade someone and they manage to get around you and make it to the fog door alive and without killing you, they deserve to live and you're a chump

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you guys are so angry about summons and running away why not get summoned into a fightclub or something? Sorry you didn't get to deember a guy but thems the breaks.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

If you invade someone and they manage to get around you and make it to the fog door alive, they deserve to live and you're a chump

thats not what happens. do you realize how many invasions begin with you halfway across the level and the host enters fog door two seconds after you spawn

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GulagDolls posted:

thats not what happens. do you realize how many invasions begin with you halfway across the level and the host enters fog door two seconds after you spawn

Ah, well it's definitely their fault for not sticking around and risking death exclusively to fight you then lmao

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GulagDolls posted:

I don't even start in the same level sometimes.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Mortimer posted:

Wait, you don't lose the hollowing when you go to NG+?

is that just speculation or what actually happens

I'm almost positive that's I read this somewhere, your dark sigils and hollowing persist through playthroughs. Presumably so you can't just speed run the game to circumvent grinding? If it's automatically removed when you enter a new cycle, then there really is no point in ever paying it off.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mortimer posted:

that's not true at all

Oops, I swear I read somewhere that hollowing affects matchmaking, now I can't even find it

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I invade as a guy called "mister skeletal" using a cathedral greatmace which might be one of the slowest (but longest) weapon in the game. I will run directly at the host and attempt to splatter his god drat face into the ground, while his 3 phantoms that are carrying him through the entire game all spam R1 with their dark swords and knight armour.

I almost never win, but I love terrifying the host by taking 90% of his HP off with a single swing of this fat lump of iron.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Christ, Nameless King was incredibly difficult, even with a summon. 4 out of 5 phantoms don't understand they're supposed to target the head in the first phase, so we'd use way to many resources just getting to the second phase.

Doesn't help that there seems to be a ton of people that need help for the boss, but not very many people willing to reciprocate. I can understand why, its a very long drawn out battle with pretty low odds for success.

He's probably one of the top-5 most difficult in the whole series, right up there with Fume Knight and the Orphan of Kos.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

If invasion is supposed to be no fun at all for the invader, why even have the Red Eye Orb in the game?

Miyacka had a quote about that, "Since I suck at pvp with americans, Pvp will be pointless".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Why have a poise stat?

Having a non-functioning poise stat, assuming it's intentional, is an equally bad decision.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
If you are so anti-pvp offline mode is there to hold your hand.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Ah, well it's definitely their fault for not sticking around and risking death exclusively to fight you then lmao

quote where i put blame on the host you dumb rear end.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

If you invade someone and they manage to get around you and make it to the fog door alive and without killing you, they deserve to live and you're a chump

Yeah because running away is really hard in this game. You have to keep rolling and sidestep the occasional mob! Crazy!

Getting through a fog door in the old games was actually hard because it had a significant animation you could be kicked out of. Now you pass through basically instantly so stopping someone who reaches the gate is almost impossible. But you know, if you butcher some guys two summons and he rolls away in a panic he's probably going to die like a chump to the boss anyways so moral victory.

Buschmaki posted:

If you guys are so angry about summons and running away why not get summoned into a fightclub or something? Sorry you didn't get to deember a guy but thems the breaks.

In past games I hated structured PvP because I always ran into the same builds but now no matter where I go its dark swords and farron greatswords anyways so :shrug:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Spanish Manlove posted:

Why have a poise stat?

It's like the plot of these games people try to make sense of. When in fact its made to be confusing and make no sense.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why is it that the people who complain that Dark Souls PvP isn't hardcore enough are always the worst people.

I still wish they'd just publish Dark Souls: Arena so all the "serious about PvP" types could go play that while the rest of us have fun flinging dung pies and luring each other over rope bridges.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Invaders should be able to summon for help via red and purple signs; and there should be a red cop covenant that invades ganksquads that are invaded.

Basically I want 5v5 fights.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
If you use the dark sword you should be banned, and your character reset and forced to use a dunce cap.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

Oops, I swear I read somewhere that hollowing affects matchmaking, now I can't even find it

People thought that for a while, but it was likely just network issues or people not understanding weapon upgrade level matchmaking, or the fact that some zones only let you have one phantom.

Buschmaki posted:

That's kinda not really the point, though. Invading someone and dueling someone are different things that you do for different reasons.

DS3 stacks the deck far too much in the host's favor. The only time a host is going to get killed by an invader is if a) they're solo (a pretty rare occurrence from an invader's point of view) or b) they're so amazingly terrible they walk right into your sword. The absolute most an invader can do against the majority of hosts is delay them for a little while, and that's kinda just dumb as poo poo.

Your Computer posted:

Why is it that the people who complain that Dark Souls PvP isn't hardcore enough are always the worst people.

I still wish they'd just publish Dark Souls: Arena so all the "serious about PvP" types could go play that while the rest of us have fun flinging dung pies and luring each other over rope bridges.

People who really want to invade and people who are serious PvP tryhards aren't necessarily the same, though, given that dueling and invading are really different experiences.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
There should be a PVP covenant that automatically gets summoned to invade any rapier user en masse.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

If you use the dark sword you should be banned, and your character reset and forced to use a dunce cap.

What's the closest thing to a dunce cap in this game anyway? If I'm gonna make a PvP character I'll need that one.

~fashion souls~

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

There should be a PVP covenant that automatically gets summoned to invade any rapier user en masse.

Agreed.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

DS3 stacks the deck far too much in the host's favor. The only time a host is going to get killed by an invader is if a) they're solo (a pretty rare occurrence from an invader's point of view) or b) they're so amazingly terrible they walk right into your sword. The absolute most an invader can do against the majority of hosts is delay them for a little while, and that's kinda just dumb as poo poo.

It will be just like dark souls 1 in a few months, very little pvp outside of the cliche. Funny they made dark souls 2 which was better than dark souls 1 but then it takes them 2 games to not even get dark souls 1 right again.

Lol from software, lol.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 29, 2016

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

there should be a covenant that lets you invade people who invade a lot. you could call it the 'darkmoon blades'

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

Christ, Nameless King was incredibly difficult, even with a summon. 4 out of 5 phantoms don't understand they're supposed to target the head in the first phase, so we'd use way to many resources just getting to the second phase.

Doesn't help that there seems to be a ton of people that need help for the boss, but not very many people willing to reciprocate. I can understand why, its a very long drawn out battle with pretty low odds for success.

He's probably one of the top-5 most difficult in the whole series, right up there with Fume Knight and the Orphan of Kos.

I don't think he was really that difficult - the main thing that draws it out is that you have to do the fairly easy first phase every time you fight him which gets annoying pretty quickly since he's a lot more aggressive in the second phase, so what often happens is you burn through the first part without even needing to use a flask, then die within half a minute on the second part. It would be a lot less annoying if the dragon just stayed dead so you could skip right to the actual fight.

*edit*

Your Computer posted:

What's the closest thing to a dunce cap in this game anyway? If I'm gonna make a PvP character I'll need that one.

~fashion souls~

Pope hat.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 29, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The "Just lay red signs/do structured PvP" shtick is really bad already too. You know what's happened literally every time I put down a red sign? When I invade I actually get a pretty decent spread, 1v1, 1v2, the occasional 1v3 if I'm unlucky. Not with "structured" PvP though. Every single time without fail, I zone in to a host and two shitters already swinging at me, plus buffs since they get the benefit of prep time this way too. ~Woo exciting~

Also fight clubs always have and always will suck, I've mentioned them before but that's always gonna be the place filled with the hot new boring cookie cutter megabuilds trying to gain traction. It's kind if crazy that the only way you can even begin to find some fun, honest fights anymore is in invasions.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Your Computer posted:

~fashion souls~

Abyss watcher hat.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Your Computer posted:

~fashion souls~

Abyss Watcher's helmet for sure.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is the moonlight greatsword worth stacking the int to use effectively?

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Yardbomb posted:

The "Just lay red signs/do structured PvP" shtick is really bad already too. You know what's happened literally every time I put down a red sign? When I invade I actually get a pretty decent spread, 1v1, 1v2, the occasional 1v3 if I'm unlucky. Not with "structured" PvP though. Every single time without fail, I zone in to a host and two shitters already swinging at me, plus buffs since they get the benefit of prep time this way too. ~Woo exciting~

Yeah PVP needs to be fixed on every level.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

GulagDolls posted:

there should be a covenant that lets you invade people who invade a lot. you could call it the 'darkmoon blades'

But everybody invades in this game! After a certain amount of time, it'll just basically be invasions of random people for the lazy, then what's the point of cracked red eye orbs?? OH WAIT

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GulagDolls posted:

this is an argument in favor of giving the invader more advantages
*any advantages

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Its pretty lame you gotta be embered to be invaded. I want invaders waiting for me as I spawn in as a new character out of the grave. And waiting outside of the firelink shrine.

And to be in the elevator that patches locks me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I'm almost positive that's I read this somewhere, your dark sigils and hollowing persist through playthroughs. Presumably so you can't just speed run the game to circumvent grinding? If it's automatically removed when you enter a new cycle, then there really is no point in ever paying it off.
Dark sigils go away since they're part of (a) story progression, hollowing stays so you can pick up your initial 5 sigils and levels right away when you meet Yoel. You could speed run the game for the free levels, but I really don't see the point.