Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I think I'm @Nals? Where would I find it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Rookersh posted:

I think I'm @Nals? Where would I find it?

It's your login username.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Scyantific posted:

It's your login username.

Yup, then I'm @Nals. Invite away!

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

The resource cost changes and the shielding nerf scare me.

Redesign of the trait system was needed but I wonder how long it will take the community to settle on a new meta for each role and make most of the traits useless again.

Vampire changes look viable although the abilities still look dull for PvE and the Werewolf change to summon pets sounds fun.

Showing pets, costumes and mounts on the login screen is gonna make bragging to my friends about how pretty my virtual dolls look so much better. :allears:

Crafting bags means all of my characters have access to all my crafting mats and they take up no bank or bag space. So much time saved switching characters and moving items in and out of the bank.

The elitism thing might get worse in zone chat or dungeon finder in regards to showing CP level but maybe showing the CP level isn't a bad thing. Given the difference in a character power, calling a character at 501 CP the same level as a character at 160 CP is not helpful.

Any ideas on how to make some gold with the new dlc? My guess is sell off V1-13 mats/gear now and stock up on max level mats for everyone gearing their alts.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Farm the poo poo out of v16 materials, or go on a shopping spree for as many of them as you can, I found several stacks of v15 poo poo yesterday for like 9k each and scooped em up.

Also, gold tempers.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So are the guilds the exact same characters/storyline across all three factions?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yes. At this point in the game faction is like 90% irrelevant to the majority of content. The only time it matters is for PvP.

Also if zenimax is trying to be sneaky fucks about forcing you to buy DLC to continue progression then they're full of poo poo. People are already calling them out for paywalling XP by not scaling Cadwell zones up.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Scaling Caldwells up to VR16 and just battle leveling everyone makes a whole lot more sense than introducing some "CP10-50" and "CP60-100" or whatever progression to them. With all the DLC and how CP is much quicker to level than VRs were you'll still be out leveling all that poo poo anyways, leaving even more zones that people will never return to after finishing them.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It was obvious that it was going to be the plan from the start, they want people to buy the new and shiny every time it comes out. The fact that they even went back and updated Sanctum for updated leveling is nothing short of a miracle.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Wait is the PvP dead?

I like world PvP! Oh well.

He was only talking about one pvp "server"

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Scyantific posted:

People are already calling them out for paywalling XP by not scaling Cadwell zones up.

Which isn't a valid complaint. Cyrodiil is a scaled zone that everyone has access to. Not only that, but it provides the best XP in the game.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
Is there still anyone active in the EU guild House Awful? I just started playing again and I'm apparently still in this guild. Haven't seen anyone online though.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

bradybunch posted:

calling a character at 501 CP the same level as a character at 160 CP is not helpful

It's not as bad as you think. Champion points have diminishing returns: with 160 you have almost 60% of the benefit of having 501.

Champion points appear more powerful than they are because someone with 501 got them by playing several hours a day. So they know the mechanics in the vet dungeons, or PvP, or whatever. Vaulting inexperienced players into endgame isn't going to suddenly make them experienced.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Well, new players will still have to level up to CP160 from a clean start much like they had to do with VR16, it will just take a lot less time to get to that point than it did with VR since champion points have the whole "catch up" mechanic until you get closer to CP501 and also enlightenment. I know when I was playing fairly casually back in February of just a few hours every day I still managed to go from CP110 to CP210 in less than a month's time, a year ago before the VR experience changes that probably would have amounted to just a few VR ranks at best. You never really learned a whole lot during that time span of VR1 to VR16 because you're only really going to start getting good cutting your teeth on actual end game Vet Dungeons and being able to actually start crafting endgame gear.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

You never really learned a whole lot during that time span of VR1 to VR16 because you're only really going to start getting good cutting your teeth on actual end game Vet Dungeons and being able to actually start crafting endgame gear.

If you'd stop chickening out when we're running pledges, you could be undaunted 9 before vet 16.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I already got Undaunted 9 before I was VR16, though it helps that VR16 wasn't even a thing yet when I did.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

I already got Undaunted 9 before I was VR16, though it helps that VR16 wasn't even a thing yet when I did.

Surely not all of your characters are Undaunted 9. When Dark Brotherhood hits, your army of low-vet alts will no longer receive the benefits of scaling, because your account has more than 160 champion points. If I were in your situation, I'd be running lots of gold pledges now while the group tool still allowed me to make material contributions in inexpensive gear.

I guess you're banking on there being a huge hissy fit on the official forums, resulting in more reasonable crafting requirements. Could be!

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Between maxing champ points, getting my highest char (not really my main) to v16, hoarding v16 mats and leveling undaunted... I need a nap.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Yes, I don't have Undaunted 9 on all my alts because I don't play the game all day every day, and also haven't touched these alts before this week in almost a year. All but one of them couldn't even do pledges before this week because they were still under 45. If I'm doing gold pugs I'll still be sticking with my main, but at least I won't have to churn through Caldwell's again (once was enough) or just grind somewhere just to get the alts up to VR16.

Though I do hope they go back on VR16 crafting requirements, because they're really dumb and just adds tedium to the game. But I'm not expecting that with this patch or anytime soon.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Are they doing anything with VR1-14 crafting materials? Seems like they will be pretty much useless for the most part once DB hits. Only really needed by new players since I'd assume most vets will be close to 160 CP at this point.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Been a while since someone's said good things about my tanking. Guess the game is full of poo poo tanks now :shrug:

This was after last night's vBC run, wherein I tanked 6 daedroth and Rilis, and stayed in one spot throughout the entire Maw of the Infernal fight.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Scyantific posted:

Been a while since someone's said good things about my tanking. Guess the game is full of poo poo tanks now :shrug:

This was after last night's vBC run, wherein I tanked 6 daedroth and Rilis, and stayed in one spot throughout the entire Maw of the Infernal fight.

Just jumping in to give the daily reminder that ESO doesn't have tanks.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Fried Sushi posted:

Are they doing anything with VR1-14 crafting materials? Seems like they will be pretty much useless for the most part once DB hits. Only really needed by new players since I'd assume most vets will be close to 160 CP at this point.

Why would they? Do you think 100% of the player base is at V16?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I think a very sizeable chunk is around 160 cp points by now, but that for coding reasons they weren't really able to work out a way to do anything other that VR = CP because that's what they've been telling us for a year.

To answer the question if you're already past the CP level for that mat and aren't trying to help out guild mates, then personally they're kind of useless yes. Of course, any tier mat can be refined for a chance at tempers of various qualities.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

As another example I made 20 champion points this week (monday - friday) and most of that time it was spent playing alts that were below 50 not even earning exp towards champion points. CP is a lot easier to earn than VR was, especially with the catch up mechanics that CP has.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am messing around with yet another waste of time build. It is all the wrong things, but still interesting. Among the wrong things is an attempt at high Ult regen and low cost Ults (on a DK).

So far the only things I can find that buff normal alt regen are Invigorating Drain and Heroic Slash. I think Leap and Soul Trap are cheapest Ults, but nether quite suits my purposes, though Leap is cool fun. I even tried Soul Trap with the Oblivion set. Interesting, but not really worth it. I am mostly using Standard and Armor. If I can work drain and slash in the rotation I get Ult pretty fast and they work ok.

I know it's not optimal or even a good idea, but any suggestions?

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Scyantific posted:

Yes. At this point in the game faction is like 90% irrelevant to the majority of content. The only time it matters is for PvP.

Also if zenimax is trying to be sneaky fucks about forcing you to buy DLC to continue progression then they're full of poo poo. People are already calling them out for paywalling XP by not scaling Cadwell zones up.

There's nothing to "call out" there. They shouldn't do that.

MMO players are great at calling things a "paywall" which basically means "I want a few whales to pay my bill". Don't expect the company to make new content then allow you to skate free by creating a way to end-run around it.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

CP is a lot easier to earn than VR was, especially with the catch up mechanics that CP has.

Without enlightenment, one veteran rank is about equal to leveling champion rank 61-70. Or if you prefer, it takes about 19 veteran ranks' worth of experience to get from champion rank 1 to 160. The new process will be pretty much the same as the old one (again, without enlightenment).

I think one or more of these is the culprit: 1) you've fallen victim to the "bigger numbers equals more fun" theory of game design, 2) you had a lot of enlightenment banked and burned through 11 days' worth in that time (something you will not be able to repeat for a while), or 3) the last time you tried to level multiple veteran ranks was when it was significantly harder than it is now (compared to launch it's dramatically easier, even compared to eight months ago it's -15% to level and most gains are +50%).

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Sogol posted:

ultimate builds

For DK, you've got about all there is, just use an Earthen Heart ability now and again for the passive ult. Leap is certainly your best bet for cheap ults, although you get more resources back from higher ult costs, so it's not like there's any particular advantage in going cheap. You might do more dps spamming Standard half as often (and using its +20% damage with your normal build) than you would spamming Leap.

If you really want an ult build, try a nightblade, slotting Soul Harvest and using the occasional Siphoning ability. I often get multiple Dawnbreakers in a single group of trash.

Kiryen posted:

"I want a few whales to pay my bill"

I paid for the console port for a year without getting any new content. Where's my parade? :argh:

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

tgidieday posted:

For DK, you've got about all there is, just use an Earthen Heart ability now and again for the passive ult. Leap is certainly your best bet for cheap ults, although you get more resources back from higher ult costs, so it's not like there's any particular advantage in going cheap. You might do more dps spamming Standard half as often (and using its +20% damage with your normal build) than you would spamming Leap.

If you really want an ult build, try a nightblade, slotting Soul Harvest and using the occasional Siphoning ability. I often get multiple Dawnbreakers in a single group of trash.

I paid for the console port for a year without getting any new content. Where's my parade? :argh:

Ultimately I don't really want an Ult build. I just like to see what different things do.

I haven't leveled a NB yet, but will eventually. Does it make sense to take week and level one to 50 or should I just focus on getting cp with the four vets I have (something like v15 stamplar, v9 dk, v5 magplar, v-Idunno stamsorc)? I think my CP's are closing in on 400 or something.

I am thinking of leveling the stamplar to 16 in Wrothgar while stock piling v16 mats and then doing something else..

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

tgidieday posted:

Without enlightenment, one veteran rank is about equal to leveling champion rank 61-70. Or if you prefer, it takes about 19 veteran ranks' worth of experience to get from champion rank 1 to 160. The new process will be pretty much the same as the old one (again, without enlightenment).

I think one or more of these is the culprit: 1) you've fallen victim to the "bigger numbers equals more fun" theory of game design, 2) you had a lot of enlightenment banked and burned through 11 days' worth in that time (something you will not be able to repeat for a while), or 3) the last time you tried to level multiple veteran ranks was when it was significantly harder than it is now (compared to launch it's dramatically easier, even compared to eight months ago it's -15% to level and most gains are +50%).

Yes, I am comparing it to pre-IC leveling.

edit: Checking my characters I still have enlightenment (though can't tell how much until after DB hits with the interface changes) so it must accrue pretty quickly.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 30, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It accrues daily and caps at 12 days. I posted a link to ChampionUI a while back which shows how much accrued enlightenment you have remaining.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

After downloading and checking I still have about 721,000 enlightenment banked up. I'm guessing then it's an actual bulk exp you receive every day then, not just "one cheap point per day", since with the catch up mechanics it costs me a lot less exp to gain CP (for now at 231) per rank until I start to get closer to 501 points. That's the only way I can think of that I still have that much enlightenment banked despite just blowing through ten points in an evening.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Another 10 champion points today, which is nice, with about 200,000 enlightenment left (half of that I probably picked up after the timer resets on pledges two hours ago I imagine)

But not bad since half of that was running a couple dungeons with tgidieday in the afternoon and the rest was just from stealing stuff for the thieves guild with the last two in Orsinium. Figuring out earlier how enlightenment is accrued and worked out helped me to figure out how despite playing pretty regularly for a month from CP110 to CP210 I almost never was not receiving an enlightenment bonus because I was recieving 100k of enlightenment exp a day and each CP was costing like (I don't know how the scale works) but in general roughly 50k exp a day so while pre-IC I could look forward to making maybe, 1CP a day, maybe 2CP on a busy day, back when the calculation was based on all CP costing 400k, now I could be making 2-4 easily for the same effort.

But, like I said, Pre-IC you didn't have things like public dungeon exp, public dungeons actually gave less exp than normal exp, and craglorn gave less than normal exp, and you didn't have group finder exp bonuses. It was a whole time where the game was trying to give you less and less exp deliberately.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Welp just blew my RNG load in 2 Vet Spindle runs. Heavy and Medium Divines.

At least now I have enough helms to kit out my stamina classes.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

enlightenment

Yeah, it's 400k worth of enlightenment every day at your account-specific time, which, like Scyantific said, caps out at about 5 million.

Sogol posted:

I haven't leveled a NB yet, but will eventually. Does it make sense to take week and level one to 50 or should I just focus on getting cp with the four vets I have (something like v15 stamplar, v9 dk, v5 magplar, v-Idunno stamsorc)? I think my CP's are closing in on 400 or something.

You're far enough along the diminishing returns that I'd say just do whatever's most fun (going from 400 to 501 will give you a whopping 2.6% more dps). Just watch out for the enlightenment cap while leveling non-vet alts.

If you're making a nightblade, definitely make a magicka one (breton/altmer/dunmer). I played my stamina nightblade all last week and it was extremely unpleasant.

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

JackBadass posted:

ESO doesn't have tanks.

do you even play this game?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

bradybunch posted:

do you even play this game?

Every day. Do you? ESO doesn't have tanks, they have DPS' and Healers that can hit the bash button. In an MMO, a "tank" is the player that draws agro, holds agro, and absorbs damage while the other party members do their job. Last time I checked, ESO features only two taunts that stop working with no indication if you use them too much, no stamina regen while blocking (or really doing anything), and almost more enemy one-shots than regular moves.

LastGoodBoy fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 2, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Last time I played it did have tanks. Granted that was when it went free to play and I haven't done dungeons since and only hosed around outside but I'm still fairly sure that tanking is still a thing. In this kind of game how could it not be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

• Locked thread