Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Ammanas posted:

I have zero interest in ICEs books and will never read them. Fan fiction afaic

Not so sure about zero interest but I'll just read Toll The Hounds without having read any of ICE books. Hope it's not a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

turboraton posted:

Not so sure about zero interest but I'll just read Toll The Hounds without having read any of ICE books. Hope it's not a bad idea.

I'm reading the Tor.com reread posts about Crimson Guard before I properly dive into TTH. Seems like an okay way of getting any important info without gritting my teeth all the way through the book.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It is 100% okay to just read the Erikson series by themselves.

It's also okay to read the ICE books, but I only did it because I ran out of Erikson books. They're about on par with generic fantasy books that just happen to be set in the Malazan world. They're not bad, they're just not particularly good either.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Gotta say, Hood calling Gothos a gas-bloated goat is the highlight of the new book so far.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Kazanir posted:

Gotta say, Hood calling Gothos a gas-bloated goat is the highlight of the new book so far.

I'm partial to "Hunn Raal hosed a cookfire."

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Donkey posted:

I was going to post exactly this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
so i can't remember but in TCG does draconus kill kilmandaros/sechul larth etc

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I'm starting Fall of Light and having trouble remembering who the hell is who and what's what. I'm terrible at remembering names, and the time between reading Forge of Darkness and this is probably the longest I've gone between Malazan books. I'm usually good at picking up on n remembering things from context, but this trilogy is on a whole other level because of everything that's come before it.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Jose posted:

Nope. He says he's going to deal with them, and as I recall, that's the last we see of him.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

savinhill posted:

I'm starting Fall of Light and having trouble remembering who the hell is who and what's what. I'm terrible at remembering names, and the time between reading Forge of Darkness and this is probably the longest I've gone between Malazan books. I'm usually good at picking up on n remembering things from context, but this trilogy is on a whole other level because of everything that's come before it.

I did an (audiobook) rereading before I started Fall of Light and it really helped, I don't know if I could have followed along without it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

cptn_dr posted:

This is the first thing that stopped me from getting past chapter two of RotCG. The other thing was how he was writing Traveller. I gave up in disgust not long after he was introduced. Maybe I'll go back and read it later on, once I run out of other Malazan to scratch the itch.

On that note, I started Toll The Hounds this morning. The Dramatis Personae is pretty impressive, and I'm looking forward to seeing Anomander again. Hopefully he'll kick Clip in the teeth.

m-bison-yes.gif

Jose posted:

Juaguocio posted:

Nope. He says he's going to deal with them, and as I recall, that's the last we see of him.

Actually, yes. It's explicit.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
(TCG) Yeah Draconus kills both Kilmandaros and Sechul in the text, and IIRC Kil's dying thoughts were basically "Errant, you're hosed. He's coming for you next."

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I just read [MT] the preparation of Rhulad's body.

:stare: gently caress Erikson knows how to make things horrifying.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Captain_Person posted:

You'd think so, right? :allears:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Captain_Person posted:

:allears:

I love posts like this.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

:agreed: that's pretty much the reason this thread never leaves my bookmarks.

That and arguing about who is the best character, which is clearly Braven Tooth.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
That's not how you spell Tehol Beddict :colbert:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

You loving poser, the best character is Trull everyone knows that. :colbert:

head58
Apr 1, 2013

None of those characters are mules so none of you can be right.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Mate.

A mule D'ivers would be very cool though.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, I forgot, it's Saturday. On Saturdays the best character is Ganoes Paran.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fenrir posted:

That's not how you spell Tehol Beddict :colbert:

He gets a shoutout early on in Fall of Darkness very mild spoiler

Anyway, Ublala Pung is probably my favorite character just based on his very first scene

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
My wife said she may give the series another shot--last time, she lost interest in Deadhouse Gates.

If she does and she gives me any great first-time reader comments, I'll be sure to share them with everyone. It's great to see people reacting to and making predictions while reading for the first time. :allears:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The best character is Iskaral Pust.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Habibi posted:

m-bison-yes.gif

Actually, yes. It's explicit.

Oh yeah, it's the sneaky little bugger who escapes closure. It's been a while since I read TCG.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The Ninth Layer posted:

its hellian

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

correct

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I still haven't finished the series so I don't want to make any unfounded declarations as to the best character, but y'all aren't saying Fiddler's name a whole bunch.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

fiddler is the author insert so is excluded by default

was samar dev supposed to have invented a bike or do i just misremember that bit?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aranan posted:

My wife said she may give the series another shot--last time, she lost interest in Deadhouse Gates.

If she does and she gives me any great first-time reader comments, I'll be sure to share them with everyone. It's great to see people reacting to and making predictions while reading for the first time. :allears:

If she lost interest in Deadhouse Gates, she's probably never going to like the books.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Jose posted:

its hellian

Its this. A correct opinion has been stated.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

How is it that none of you people have managed to spell Kallor correctly?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Jose posted:

fiddler is the author insert so is excluded by default

I thought that was Cotillion?

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Donkey posted:

I did chuckle at that, however now my opinion has changed to Raest saying, "only the wicked know peace," after a dragon lands in his loving yard.

I can't get enough Jaghut humor basically

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just started. I got to book one part 2 and I'm losing interest. Does this plot connect back soon?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

RC Cola posted:

I just started. I got to book one part 2 and I'm losing interest. Does this plot connect back soon?

Yes, just have some faith for now that it will all come together.

It took me three times to finish Gardens of the Moon, the first two times I got to where you are now and got distracted with other stuff and put the book aside. The third time I committed myself to at least finishing, and discovered that the plot really clicked together in a satisfying way. I'm really glad I gave Gardens a fair chance as now the Malazan series is by far my favorite in the fantasy genre.

We wouldn't be talking about these books for 187 pages if they weren't interesting or good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

The Ninth Layer posted:

We wouldn't be talking about these books for 187 pages if they weren't interesting or good.
Not a good argument, the Rothfuss thread has 125.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

M_Gargantua posted:

Its this. A correct opinion has been stated.
good thing too, I was just about to cut one of my boobs off in protest

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Drunken surgery is a difficult skill to master. Don't want to accidentally cut off the wrong boob then have to try again for the right one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Does this crokus and krumpe plot go anywhere