Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ozu posted:

Mildly annoyed. I wanted to trade up. Giving up a 2nd to do so probably would have been a bad move though.

I genuinely thought you guys were going to swoop in and take him. It seemed to line up perfectly.

Don't worry I'm sure he'll Dion Jordan his way outta the league now that he's on our team. And lol Mcmagic come on dude he was the best tackle in the draft. Picking Decker over him is a lie.

Let me have this, it'll make the Hack pick later today sting less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

IcePhoenix posted:

I hope the Vikings trade up for Jack because I think it would be funny to have the 2013 UCLA Bruins linebacker corps.

Agree.

Also, I was getting phone updates instead of watching by the time that the Vikings drafted Treadwell. Him bringing his daughter up on stage is extremely :3:

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
I'm real mad over the Cowboys drafting a running back when they have real needs all over the roster.

Bob Sturm posted:

Look at it this way: They paid almost nothing for Darren McFadden last year ... then took away Tony Romo ... then Dez Bryant ... then McFadden was not given the ball 11-plus times in a game until mid-October. Without being able to run zone plays with any effectiveness and only starting 10 games with no quarterback threat, he still finished fourth in the league in rushing. Odds are, if he started all 16, he might have won a rushing title. And they paid nothing for him. Does it make sense to pay a fortune to fix that? What needed fixing that couldn't have been accomplished for far less? In other words, Elliott is great, but you just bought a Maserati while living with your parents. It is a very nice car. But, perhaps we should move out of dad's house.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/04/29/sturm-longterm-view-takes-seat-backseat

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I genuinely thought you guys were going to swoop in and take him. It seemed to line up perfectly.

Don't worry I'm sure he'll Dion Jordan his way outta the league now that he's on our team. And lol Mcmagic come on dude he was the best tackle in the draft. Picking Decker over him is a lie.

Let me have this, it'll make the Hack pick later today sting less

Oh if he was there at 20 I would've definitely wanted the Jets to take him. I was just saying that it upset me more than the Jets didn't get any of the Tackles than that we didn't trade up for him which probably would've been too expensive for my liking anyway.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

I hope the Vikings trade up for Jack because I think it would be funny to have the 2013 UCLA Bruins linebacker corps.

You should take Kendall Fuller so all three brothers are in the same division.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/jeffdarlington/status/726145688019603456

Darlington knows the Dolphins better than anyone. Guess it's real.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Mystic Stylez posted:

100%, just watch it. I want Spence (preferably) or Dodd, but even if one of them is available along with Ragland, welp. I will be mad as gently caress

Are you me?

Ragland over Spence and I'm calling for CTE testing on Ozzie.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
http://grrm.livejournal.com/484443.html

quote:

NFL Draft, Round One

Apr. 29th, 2016 at 2:29 PM
G-men
So the first round in the NFL Draft was last night, and both of my teams went for players from Ohio State. Any Buckeyes here who can tell me more about them? Jetboygirl, where are you?

The Jets picked a linebacker, Darren Lee, at twenty. Supposed to be very fast. A sideline to sideline guy. Okay, sounds good. More speed on the defense never hurts. I am glad they did not draft the Memphis QB everyone wanted them too. He's a project, and we need a QB now. They need to sign Fitz.

The Giants, at ten, drafted a cornerback with the unlikely name of Eli Apple. Seven picks in, the G-Men were sitting pretty, with their two top choices still available. But the the Titans traded up to eight and drafted the offensive lineman the Giants wanted, and the Bear vaulted up from eleven to nine just to get grab the top linebacker, Floyd. In other words, the Giants got their lunch eaten. Leaving nothing but an apple. Of course, in this pass-happy league, everyone needs corners, and the Giants need them more than most, considering how many passing yards they gave up last year. Still and all... I would have been happier if they'd picked Shaq Lawson, the pass rusher.

The damned Cowboys got the guy I really wanted, running back Ezekiel Elliott. Curse them!

Today we get rounds two and three.

I am hoping the G-Men pick up 'Bama RB and Heisman Trophy winner Derrick Henry. Or else maybe took a chance and grabbed Myles Jack, the injured UCLA linebacker.

But who knows? Anything could happen. That's what makes these drafts so much fun.

GRRM knows whats up.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

AfterFather posted:

I'm real mad over the Cowboys drafting a running back when they have real needs all over the roster.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/04/29/sturm-longterm-view-takes-seat-backseat

The Jerry Jones methodology is basically:

Step 1. Waste high pick on back
Step 2. Get a couple years of good performance, give him a huge contract
Step 3. Watch as back comes crashing to earth
Step 4. Repeat step 1

Reminder: http://grantland.com/features/bill-barnwell-jerry-jones-cowboys/

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ehud posted:

I hope it's a real allergic reaction to Tannehill's stupid face. :colbert:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jerry Jones has drafted the most pro bowlers out of any GM in the last 10 years.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Are there many New Yorkers who enjoy rooting for both the Jets or Giants

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ozu posted:

I hope it's a real allergic reaction to Tannehill's stupid face. :colbert:

he's actually quite handsome IMO

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

I once ate a peanut to have an excuse to take a day off of work, so I get it.

Also someone went through FO's injury DB to try and find comparable guys for Myles Jack and schrodinger's knee: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings/2016/teams-dont-know-jack

quote:

Let’s start with the good. If you’re looking for optimism, look no further than Mr. Travis Kelce. Kelce needed microfracture surgery and missed his entire rookie year, but he made the Pro Bowl last year. Kenny Phillips didn’t fare too badly either, and his surgery was also early in his career. Of note, though, his procedure was reportedly for patellofemoral arthritis, which may be different from what Jack has – I’m not sure we have enough details to know. Perhaps even more impressive were Kelly Gregg and Kevin Hardy, who appeared to recover just fine from microfracture surgery later in their careers. This might be the exact situation Jack is facing.

There’s a couple players we just don’t know enough about to make a judgement on the success of their surgery. Marquis Johnson had the surgery early in his career and didn’t do much after, but part of that may have been the lacerated spleen he got shortly after his return.

The comparable player that most likely came to most teams’ minds (recency bias!) is Jadeveon Clowney. Clowney has certainly been a disappointment relative to his expectations so far, but he was also a number one pick. Jack (no longer, anyway) faces those expectations. He’ll be a nice case study as his career progresses... or doesn’t.

There are a couple players I judged as having a mixed outcome: pass-rushers Peter Boulware and Anthony Spencer, and defensive lineman Stephen Bowen. They didn’t do much after their surgeries, but they were also deep into their careers, so perhaps they were already on the downslope regardless of the need for microfracture surgery.

Then, we get into the bad outcomes, which unfortunately are also the bulk of the outcomes. For early career surgeries, we can look at Paul Toviessi (second rounder) or Stephen Hodge (sixth rounder) – neither ever played a regular season down. Toviessi is the better comp here because of skill level. Linebackers Clint Ingram (surgery between fourth and fifth years) and Boss Bailey (surgery during sixth year) had the procedure later in their careers, but neither played again. Defensive lineman Lamar King, a first-round selection, had the surgery in his fourth year and managed just three starts afterwards – this could also be the exact situation Jack is facing.

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Jerry Jones has drafted the most pro bowlers out of any GM in the last 10 years.

It's almost like the players on the Cowboys are more popular or something.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

NC-17 posted:

It's almost like the players on the Cowboys are more popular or something.

Or they have a lot of good players.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

Are there many New Yorkers who enjoy rooting for both the Jets or Giants
Filthy casuals? Being enough of a fan to regularly blog about both them is definitely unusual.

Nov 6, 2002

Pro Bowl selection has nothing to do with being good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--also at least somewhat true, hence all the GM firing.

mcmagic posted:

The Chiefs actually beat them by one if I counted it up right, they've just done it with 3 different GMs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

NC-17 posted:

Pro Bowl selection has nothing to do with being good.

They do, objectively, have a lot of good players and have objectively, drafted well.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

mcmagic posted:

They do, objectively, have a lot of good players and have objectively, drafted well.

i can only imagine jerry shifting around in his chair and screaming internally at all those o-line picks with all those sexy skill position players left on the board. they gave him one this year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mcmagic posted:

Is this like actual pro bowlers or "well the eight guys ahead of you declined so you're in now" pro bowlers?

Also is it separate players or if one guy gets five invites does that count as five?

These are important questions I must know the answer to.

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Pro Bowl selection is as much about noteriety as it is skill. Playing in Dallas enhances that affect. Not to mention that superior players dropping out often means you end up with mediocre players given a "Pro Bowl Player" feather in their cap.

Also, how many other GMs have even survived 10 years to make this a fair comparison? Jerry Jones the owner should have fired Jerry Jones the GM a long time ago.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Is this like actual pro bowlers or "well the eight guys ahead of you declined so you're in now" pro bowlers?

Also is it separate players or if one guy gets five invites does that count as five?

These are important questions I must know the answer to.
These are all legitimately good players. There are a couple ones that probably sneaked in like Malcolm Jenkins and Nick Folk but I don't see the argument that they haven't drafted well.

Demarcus Ware
Jay Ratliff
Martellus Bennett
Dez Bryant
Tyron Smith
DeMarco Murray
Travis Frederick
Zack Martin
Sean Lee

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Goodell said that he was unaware of the Tunsil video until after he was drafted. Does Goodell go into a sensory deprivation chamber for the ten minutes between pick announcements?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
"The Dallas Cowboys are on the clock"

Jerry Jones grabs the nearest postcard and scrawls "EZZEKIL ELLIOT THE ONE WITH THE ABS". Stephen Jones tries to grab the card from him and replace it with the pre-printed one reading "Jalen Ramsey, Cornerback" but Jerry pulls out a chrome revolver and points it directly at his son's forehead.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ozu posted:

These are all legitimately good players. There are a couple ones that probably sneaked in like Malcolm Jenkins and Nick Folk but I don't see the argument that they haven't drafted well.

Demarcus Ware
Jay Ratliff
Martellus Bennett
Dez Bryant
Tyron Smith
DeMarco Murray
Travis Frederick
Zack Martin
Sean Lee

Yeah seriously. Even restricting it to just the 1st round pick, so the most obvious cases of hitting on your guy, he's solidly hit on 4 of his last 5, which is fantastic.

They don't do so great on the rest of the draft, but his hit rate is comparable to any GM's over the last 5 years or decade. He obviously listened to someone at some point, and there's no reason to bag on him for the Cowboy's drafting at this point.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/jeffdarlington/status/726151831894786049

oh god what's he gonna say

Nov 6, 2002

You're all probably right, but Pro Bowl selection is just an awful way to determine the success of anyone.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
How many All-Pros you drafted is probably a better barometer, but still not very good. David Tyree was a pro bowler once.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Pro bowler is a really quick and dirty thing that can catch some false positives due to ST guys or insane picks (Tyree / Brandon Meriweather).

Really you should probably just come up with a criteria, and have people fill out what draft picks fit in where an build a dataset to use that way.... Oh no i'm getting a spreadsheet boner, please help.

Of course, that's tough. Do you care about where a guy was drafted? Reggie Bush was a fine player, but he went #2 overall and never came close to living up to that. What if a guy was a disappointment, but so were the next 15 guys drafted? Also what if you cut a guy, but he turns out to be a servicable starter for someone else? Is Ted Larsen a bad draft pick because you cut him in training camp, or a pretty good evaluation of a 6th round guy because he's stuck around and started ~50 games for a bunch of teams?

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 29, 2016

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kalli posted:

Yeah seriously. Even restricting it to just the 1st round pick, so the most obvious cases of hitting on your guy, he's solidly hit on 4 of his last 5, which is fantastic.

They don't do so great on the rest of the draft, but his hit rate is comparable to any GM's over the last 5 years or decade. He obviously listened to someone at some point, and there's no reason to bag on him for the Cowboy's drafting at this point.

Hitting on your first is nice but it's not everything

Rick Smith is fantastic at the first round but is absolutely terrible at rounds 2-5

Texans first round picks starting from last year

Kevin Johnson (looked very good)
Jadeveon Clowney (the injury bust, ironic because he's by far the highest Rick has ever picked)
DeAndre Hopkins (no need to say more)
Whitney Mercilus (turned the corner and has been really good the last two/three years, A+ name)
JJ Watt (heh)
Kareem Jackson (solid #2 corner)
Brian Cushing (OVERTRAINING)
Duane Brown (Owns)
Amobi Okoye (Bleh, could've had Patrick Willis)

The only real bust on that list is Okoye, maybe Clowney if he never gets right. Meanwhile you have pro bowlers in Brown, Cushing and Hopkins and an three time DPOTY with Watt. Of all these picks, only Clowney was taken before the 10th overall

But because he's horrible at day 2/early day 3, the roster still ends up thin and the team has never had any real measure of success

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Dallas has made some great draft picks over the past several years that deserve the pro bowl but lets not pretend anyone would notice Zach Martin if he ended up in Tennessee instead

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The Lions' presumed starting offensive line comprises:

LT Riley Reiff, 1st round, 2012
LG Laken Tomlinson, 1st round, 2015
C Travis Swanson, 3rd round, 2014
RG Larry Warford, 3rd round, 2013
RT Taylor Decker, 1st round, 2016

So they've quietly been taking a Cowboys-esque approach, it's just that the Cowboys have picked significantly better players, outside of Big Larry Warford. :(

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Pick Analysis: "He was announced as a tackle, but some people like him inside at guard. He's massive and powerful, but I question his technique. He's a bit of a waist-bender. Whether he plays tackle or guard, he will be coached by one of the best in the business in Tom Cable. This is a really good pick for a team that needs offensive linemen." -- Mike Mayock

Has Mayock even watched the Seattle offensive line in the past few years?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

seiferguy posted:

Has Mayock even watched the Seattle offensive line in the past few years?

Cable didn't trade away your best lineman for Jimmy Graham

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

"Yes I had an allergic reaction. I'm blessed."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ross Angeles posted:

Cable didn't trade away your best lineman for Jimmy Graham

Our offensive lines for the past two years before that were atrocious too. Yeah, we went to the Super Bowl those seasons, but it was in spite of our O-line, not because of it.

You can also argue that the reason Unger was viewed as expendable was because everyone thought Tom Cable was some O-Line whisperer that could convert anyone for the position. That turned out to be bullshit so far too.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Febreeze posted:

Dallas has made some great draft picks over the past several years that deserve the pro bowl but lets not pretend anyone would notice Zach Martin if he ended up in Tennessee instead

I would :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawzy
Dec 13, 2002

seiferguy posted:

Our offensive lines for the past two years before that were atrocious too. Yeah, we went to the Super Bowl those seasons, but it was in spite of our O-line, not because of it.

You can also argue that the reason Unger was viewed as expendable was because everyone thought Tom Cable was some O-Line whisperer that could convert anyone for the position. That turned out to be bullshit so far too.

Seattle's line is awful at Pass Blocking, but pretty solid at Run Blocking, I think Football Outsiders had them top 5. They are just min/maxing as a team by prioritizing defense and running - you can't really put that on Cable.

• Locked thread