Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

I wish I could say this was a new thing. Reminds me of this series of Snapchats:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
One of my fave darwinist driver train incidents happened because she didn't want to scratch the paint of the car while taking several 15 point turns to bypass the barriers and get to the other sides with red lights flashing, klaxons blaring, train incoming. If all the blame can be put on them after investigation, the people surviving that poo poo should be put in financial personal bankruptcy as a way to protect the rest of us. I do not remember which country (2000s): Flatbed carrying sheets of steel got high centered in defiance of physics at the scene, then came a local commute passenger train. Graveyard ran out of space.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Deedle posted:

Just stick a solar panel on a pole and put a deep cycle battery there.

Oh no, wait... People should act with a modicum of self-preservation and common sense.

When I was in boarding school in the early 90s, there was a railroad crossing about 10 minutes walk from the campus. An unguarded crossing in the middle of a trail through the woods. Just marked with the normal signs that mark a railroad crossing. The ICE to Germany didn't stop in that town, so those would just cruise right through there at 120-160kph.
Yet the teachers and counselors never had an issue allowing 10-12 year old kids to cross there, without adult supervision. None of us ever even got close to being maimed or killed.
If a 10 year old kid can do it, repeatedly, without fail. How loving hard can it possibly be?

Bolding mine - if that were the case, in a perfect world, we wouldn't need all these precautions because well...people would be following the rules and being polite. Clearly it's not the case when loving clueless assholes disobey signs, lights and clearly marked crossings and get into stupid, preventable accidents daily.

Plus, last I checked, 10 year old kids aren't driving thousand pound potential death machines while talking on their phones, nor are they in a hurry to get somewhere because of lovely time management. Big difference between a grade schooler walking home over train tracks, and a grown-rear end adult in a hurry because they're too stupid to set an alarm clock or pay attention.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
When I get delayed by a train, I just sit and bitch impotently, and maybe have a cigarette, instead of trying to off myself. But that's just me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've started to hate train crossings because apparently I am old and weak, and focusing on each individual car as it zooms past causes some mild nausea. Doing this was fine as a kid, but these days I've been trying to train myself to study my vehicle's dash instead.

Which I dislike, because I enjoy seeing the graffiti. It also makes me feel less safe not watching my surroundings with the same dedication.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yesterday I used my horn for the only thing I use it for anymore. Sitting at a stoplight, light goes green, front two cars go, the car in front of me is sitting with the brakes on. First two cars are thru the intersection. I honk.

Driver gives me a sarcastic thumbs up out the window and then I end up driving past her 10 seconds later. She makes a face at me.

It's my friend's girlfriend.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Ozz81 posted:

Bolding mine - if that were the case, in a perfect world, we wouldn't need all these precautions because well...people would be following the rules and being polite. Clearly it's not the case when loving clueless assholes disobey signs, lights and clearly marked crossings and get into stupid, preventable accidents daily.

Plus, last I checked, 10 year old kids aren't driving thousand pound potential death machines while talking on their phones, nor are they in a hurry to get somewhere because of lovely time management. Big difference between a grade schooler walking home over train tracks, and a grown-rear end adult in a hurry because they're too stupid to set an alarm clock or pay attention.

Yeah, the thing about this objective thing we like to refer to as "common sense" is that it has never existed, so it shouldn't be surprising to people when someone else does or fails to do something you would expect them to. It's part of being human that we're all stupid in different ways.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Ozz81 posted:

I don't know about the not being in a hurry. Boarding school was pretty drat strict about curfew and being late for curfew if you were off-campus generally meant getting your I-can-leave-campus-to-play-in-the-woods privileges revoked right there and then. Arguing that you were late because you had to wait for a train to pass, would simply be rebutted with "you should have started walking back X minutes sooner then".

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

:lol: These always slay me. "We're suing Snapchat because they made an app that some mentally challenged fuckwit used while driving recklessly, LET'S SUE". Because apparently someone from Snapchat had a gun to the dumb oval office's head the whole time? :rolleyes:

Just once I want to see lawyers and law enforcement laugh in the faces of these morons, then revoke their licenses and driving privileges permanently.

Deedle posted:

I don't know about the not being in a hurry. Boarding school was pretty drat strict about curfew and being late for curfew if you were off-campus generally meant getting your I-can-leave-campus-to-play-in-the-woods privileges revoked right there and then. Arguing that you were late because you had to wait for a train to pass, would simply be rebutted with "you should have started walking back X minutes sooner then".

But what would you rather deal with - being killed or seriously injured, and potentially derailing a train in the process? Or getting yelled at while still alive and safe because you chose to wait a couple minutes for the train to pass and losing privileges (that you could potentially fight to get back)?

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 29, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ozz81 posted:

Just once I want to see lawyers and law enforcement laugh in the faces of these morons, then revoke their licenses and driving privileges permanently.

But it's the lawyers that are pushing this. Some ambulance chaser sees an opportunity and fills the person's head with dreams of a huge payout.. leaving out the part where the law firm will get to keep a majority of it because of all the hours they spent on it.

Again, this is why car commercials always have those stupid "closed course" warnings even if the car is rolling sedately down the street. It's all about managing liability and in this situation, some lawyer believes Snapchat left a hole open.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

xzzy posted:

But it's the lawyers that are pushing this. Some ambulance chaser sees an opportunity and fills the person's head with dreams of a huge payout.. leaving out the part where the law firm will get to keep a majority of it because of all the hours they spent on it.

Again, this is why car commercials always have those stupid "closed course" warnings even if the car is rolling sedately down the street. It's all about managing liability and in this situation, some lawyer believes Snapchat left a hole open.

The lawyers will take 33%. The reason they're suing snapchat is because the driver probably had state minimum insurance which covers may $30k in medical.
Further, snapchat SHOULD be sued for this. This is not just reasonably forseeable, but the most reasonably forseeable result of this speed award. When companies actively encourage and even reward reckless behavior to try to increase profits, they should be held to account. Seriously, what the gently caress were they thinking? The only way to stop stupid poo poo like this is to make them pay.

Yes, the reason the closed course thing there is lawyers, but its not based on a reasonable fear. It is just because it costs nothing to put the text there and having a lawyer look at it to say "yeah, that isn't putting you in danger of a suit" costs more than 0 dollars.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Jared592 posted:

Yeah, the thing about this objective thing we like to refer to as "common sense" is that it has never existed, so it shouldn't be surprising to people when someone else does or fails to do something you would expect them to. It's part of being human that we're all stupid in different ways.
Other than the poor sod driving the train, and the even poorer sod on shovel/hosepipe duty, I can't really see an issue with allowing a sufficient level of stupidity to be lethal.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I don't know if this guy would have any reason to lie about it, but here's another take on that snapchat thing.

http://www.cbs46.com/story/31833989/georgia-couple-sues-snapchat-for-car-accident

Sounds like lawyers have been looking for an opportunity to sue snapchat over the speed filter for a while now.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Other than the poor sod driving the train, and the even poorer sod on shovel/hosepipe duty, I can't really see an issue with allowing a sufficient level of stupidity to be lethal.

What is "a sufficient level of stupidity" that is acceptable to be deserving of death, though? I suspect that we've all had moments of stupidity that could've gotten us killed and subsequently mocked for multiple pages in this thread (perhaps a fate worse than death :rip:).

Edit: I know you were just being flippant, but I see a lot of this "bwah stupid people should die I'd never be like this bad stupid person" stuff and it's always a laugh because none of us are above lapses of brain-boiling idiocy.

Jared592 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 29, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's a lawyers wet dream. What a loving stupid feature

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Jared592 posted:

What is "a sufficient level of stupidity" that is acceptable to be deserving of death, though? I suspect that we've all had moments of stupidity that could've gotten us killed and subsequently mocked for multiple pages in this thread (perhaps a fate worse than death :rip:).

better to be lucky than good. and poo poo most of those oh gently caress i could have died moments kinda brand themselves into my brain usually insuring i wont ever do that particular stupid again (except dating but eh.... thats e/n poo poo)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SneakyFrog posted:

better to be lucky than good. and poo poo most of those oh gently caress i could have died moments kinda brand themselves into my brain usually insuring i wont ever do that particular stupid again (except dating but eh.... thats e/n poo poo)

The sucky part about this is the accident you do get into, you never see coming. So you somehow have to be perfectly vigilant at all times.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

The sucky part about this is the accident you do get into, you never see coming. So you somehow have to be perfectly vigilant at all times.

This.

Michael Schumacher survived 306 F1 races.

I don't think he expected to be crippled and have life-altering brain damage from a skiing accident.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

xzzy posted:

i kinda took the approach with it that while you can be perfectly vigilant at all times, some stupid poo poo will most likely kill you anyways

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Fixx

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Ozz81 posted:

:lol: These always slay me. "We're suing Snapchat because they made an app that some mentally challenged fuckwit used while driving recklessly, LET'S SUE". Because apparently someone from Snapchat had a gun to the dumb oval office's head the whole time? :rolleyes:

Yeah it's a retarded lawsuit/attempted moneygrab but that young woman just about makes me :psyboom:

I can't believe the penalty if caught and cited for texting and driving in Massachusetts is just $100 (and no points for it either). Instead what you should get is your license suspended along with a court summons and have a magistrate decide your fate...and if you completely destroy your car because you were loving around on your phone instead of driving then I hope you become disabled (preferably an amputee).

Enforcement is still a joke in states where it's actually considered an infraction (there was even a big push by police in MA to crack down last month, and according to my local paper about 30-50% in my town who were pulled over for it during a period got off with a warning) and everybody is on their phone just look around you once in a while and everybody's face down it's really disturbing how widespread and casual people are about it. There's no excuse for it and even worse is that most people who swear they never do it are full of poo poo because they (as in numerous friends, family, even a couple of track bros I know are all guilty of doing it when I've been a passenger) are "excellent drivers" or only do it when not moving/in traffic and that's totally different and fine.

Out of curiosity anybody know what the penalty is for this in Germany...it has to be immediate suspension for 90+ days, I'd be surprised if it was any lighter than that.

http://www.massrmv.com/SafeDrivingLawSummary.aspx

^ what a loving joke

/rant

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 29, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Anytime I see anybody using their phone while driving I lay on the horn until they put it down and flip me off. :v:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Anytime I see anybody using their phone while driving I lay on the horn until they put it down and flip me off. :v:
Ditto.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BraveUlysses posted:

It's a lawyers wet dream. What a loving stupid feature

This really can't be overstated. It's ultimately the driver's responsibility, but what the gently caress did you think was going to happen when you put that feature in the app?

As an occasional app-developer, I've flat out told clients I won't add features that are intended or likely to be used while driving. Simple ethics, IMO.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Jared592 posted:

Edit: I know you were just being flippant, but I see a lot of this "bwah stupid people should die I'd never be like this bad stupid person" stuff and it's always a laugh because none of us are above lapses of brain-boiling idiocy.
*shrug* Yeah, been there, done that, and those occasions were no-one's fault but my own.

I certainly don't want excessive regulation of [loving idiotic thing I did] ruining stuff for everyone else. I don't want the world to be wrapped in cotton wool and covered in warning signs because some people don't understand poo poo like "railways have trains on them, and they will goosh you good and proper". There are some things where the correct reaction of society as a whole should be to shrug and say "Well, I'm not entirely sure what you thought was going to happen, frankly, but yeah. There you go."

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I've always wanted to do the honk your horn at a red light to see if the person looking down at their phone proceeds to plow into whatever object is in front of them but obviously that is completely reckless and isn't very nice for the person bound to get rear-ended (unless they were on their phone too). So instead I will stick to youtube videos to humour this fantasy of mine.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

:smug::hf::smug:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

http://www.wbrz.com/news/councilman-cats-knew-about-issue-before-bus-hit-house/

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

PT6A posted:

This really can't be overstated. It's ultimately the driver's responsibility, but what the gently caress did you think was going to happen when you put that feature in the app?

That people would have at least the same level of intelligence as an 8-year old and not drive at a thousand miles an hour because their phone told them to?

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Dammit Dudley

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

spog posted:

That people would have at least the same level of intelligence as an 8-year old and not drive at a thousand miles an hour because their phone told them to?

Not a great assumption.
I also think it is important to not that the person suing is not the person who was snapcajtting but the person she hit. Entirely innocent victim who probably is facing 7 figure medical bills over his lifetime in part because snapchat thought this would get a few more users. gently caress them and I hope this guy gets his lifetime medical covered. gently caress that lady too, but she's almost certainly bankrupt already.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
People are idiots, and stuff should be designed with that in mind - for the protection of others, if nothing else. "Snapchat while going really fast for an award!" is design so stupid that Snapchat deserves to be sued over the (incredibly predictable) consequences.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

nsaP posted:

Yesterday I used my horn for the only thing I use it for anymore. Sitting at a stoplight, light goes green, front two cars go, the car in front of me is sitting with the brakes on. First two cars are thru the intersection. I honk.

Driver gives me a sarcastic thumbs up out the window and then I end up driving past her 10 seconds later. She makes a face at me.

It's my friend's girlfriend.

Sever.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Jared592 posted:

Fessing up. I once decided to go ride my motorcycle in the rain because "it's been a long time since I've ridden in the rain". I came close to it, but didn't quite get my deserved stupidity award.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Jared592 posted:

Actively driving around crossing guards and onto a train track certainly passes whatever stupidity test one could care to implement.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Mariana Horchata posted:

I've always wanted to do the honk your horn at a red light to see if the person looking down at their phone proceeds to plow into whatever object is in front of them but obviously that is completely reckless and isn't very nice for the person bound to get rear-ended (unless they were on their phone too). So instead I will stick to youtube videos to humour this fantasy of mine.

When I'm on the donorcycle at a stop light, I'll gently caress with people next to me who are buried in their phones. My best was when I gently shimmied backwards about a half bike length, then launched hard towards the crosswalk like the light had turned green. Crotch gazer next to me buries his foot in the gas and jumped into cross traffic, then sheepishly reversed back into place while I obnoxiously did the "clasp two hands together overhead cheering" motion.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

insta posted:

When I'm on the donorcycle at a stop light, I'll gently caress with people next to me who are buried in their phones. My best was when I gently shimmied backwards about a half bike length, then launched hard towards the crosswalk like the light had turned green. Crotch gazer next to me buries his foot in the gas and jumped into cross traffic, then sheepishly reversed back into place while I obnoxiously did the "clasp two hands together overhead cheering" motion.

I fantasize about doing that too, I've even seen it happen in traffic (left turn lane moves, person in through lane mashes gas and drives into car ahead of them) but I don't do it because no matter how much they deserve it I'd still feel like a turd if anyone got hurt.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

dee eight posted:

Fessing up. I once decided to go ride my motorcycle in the rain because "it's been a long time since I've ridden in the rain". I came close to it, but didn't quite get my deserved stupidity award.

But... riding in the rain isn't that much more dangerous than normal riding? Unless it was pouring so bad visibility was next to nil, I suppose. Or your tires are bald.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Mariana Horchata posted:

Out of curiosity anybody know what the penalty is for this in Germany...it has to be immediate suspension for 90+ days, I'd be surprised if it was any lighter than that.

http://www.massrmv.com/SafeDrivingLawSummary.aspx

^ what a loving joke

/rant
As far as I know, the fine in Germany for holding a cellphone while driving is something like 40 euro. There are various other laws in place to deal with the consequences of your distracted driving. Also your insurance will probably try to recover any damages they've had to cover from you.

It's the same over here in NL. The fine for holding a cellphone while driving is 230 euro. There are separate articles of law for dealing with whatever crap you caused during your distracted driving. The articles of law relevant in those cases allow for fines starting at 250 euro, up to 76,000 euro, and prison sentences up to 4 years. This all aside from the suspension of your license for up to 5 years (starts after you get out of prison). Worst case scenario, if the judges think you're some sort of basket case, you can be sentenced to TBS, which means as much as you'll be put in the care of a correctional psychiatric facility until such time that they deem you 'sane', this may imply a life time sentence without parole.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Had a proper dickhead incident just now.

Going down a 30mph road - it's a fairly wide road, but it's an urban area, and it's probably right to be a 30 - and approaching a set of red traffic lights. Corsa comes past me at a good 60, on wrong side of the road past a central traffic island, cuts back across and then hits the anchors to join the queue at the lights.

Blue line is me, red line is Corsa, green is the traffic island.

I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a case of them not seeing the island, and ploughing straight into it as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This morning after breakfast with the NEAI gang I was backing out of my parking space and some dumb fuckhead had just come cruising down the aisle. Stopped, right in the middle. I back out the rest of the way and go to drive by her and there is nowhere near enough room. She gets all cross and backs up, then moves over... and yells "hey gently caress YOU, you cut me off" at me :confused:

What the hell? I was backing out when she appeared, and she was too dumb to not block the whole aisle. Not my problem, BMW owner...