Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There's a setting to restrict matchmaking to your own region, although the effectiveness of that might vary depending on where you live. I'm in the northeastern US in a major city, which I don't doubt is part of what makes my experience pretty good in that respect. The worst I get is occasionally I see/hear the "you got hit" or "you got a hit" indicators but nobody takes damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

I like this guy so far. He's more skilled than I am and he explores as obsessively as I do, so I'll probably learn some stuff from him. I tried watching a youtuber I ordinarily like playing DS3 and I could feel my blood pressure rising every time he missed something obvious. He would repeatedly have his recovery souls center-screen for 5 or 10 seconds at a stretch and then run off and leave them.

As an aside I really like the design choice to not include much of anything in the game that's bright neon green so it's always easy to zero in on your souls.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I made it through Lothric Castle last night. poo poo really ramps up there difficulty-wise, eh? Though the brutality of the area is counter-acted by the abundance of bonfires and shortcuts. I was expected a particularly nasty boss, but Dragonslayer Armor really wasn't hard at all. A classic, slow, humanoid souls boss. Just roll against / towards his attacks, and beat the poo poo out of him while he recovers from combos.

Also, is Dragonslayer Amor a reference to the earlier games? I couldn't remember anything, but it's been a while since I've played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, and my memory of DS2 is pretty crappy in general.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Thinking about going 40/40 on faith and int but wondering if theres any good melee weapons for it. Raw straight swords are the obvious pick but wondering if theres anything else.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

il serpente cosmico posted:

I made it through Lothric Castle last night. poo poo really ramps up there difficulty-wise, eh? Though the brutality of the area is counter-acted by the abundance of bonfires and shortcuts. I was expected a particularly nasty boss, but Dragonslayer Armor really wasn't hard at all. A classic, slow, humanoid souls boss. Just roll against / towards his attacks, and beat the poo poo out of him while he recovers from combos.

Also, is Dragonslayer Amor a reference to the earlier games? I couldn't remember anything, but it's been a while since I've played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, and my memory of DS2 is pretty crappy in general.

Beyond looking like Ornstein, I don't think so.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

See I feel like the only time the invasion system made sense was back in Demon's Souls. It had a very clear purpose - if you died, you got stuck in spirit mode with your max hp halved. If you wanted to go back to full hp you could either co-op and kill a boss, or invade and kill a player (or just use an item but let's ignore that part). It was basically meant as a one-shot thing rather than a career choice. And sure, some players did just kill themselves to immediately invade again but at least the mechanics were designed to very clearly imply when and why you should invade. In Dark Souls it all just kind of went out the window and invading is just a thing you can do, but there's no real reason why you'd WANT to except to just dick over other players.

And yes I realize that is the main reason a lot of people invaded anyway, but the point is that in Demon's Souls it fit in with the game systems - in Dark Souls it's always felt very tacked on to me.

I wonder how many people actually played Demon's Souls that way. I bet most people just wore the Cling Ring and never bothered with body form. In fact, soul form did more damage if you had white character tendency.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Dragonslayer Armor is a reference to Ornstein of DS1 and his armor, it's basically just "what if Ornstein was a strength character instead of dex". Lore-wise, I think it's supposed to represent how the changing needs of people who become dragonslayers have changed what dragonslayer armor looks like over the years.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think it's the armor of one of Gwyn's old dragonslaying knights animated by the Pilgrim Butterflies around it.

Iretep posted:

Thinking about going 40/40 on faith and int but wondering if theres any good melee weapons for it. Raw straight swords are the obvious pick but wondering if theres anything else.

The Dark and Chaos infusions both scale with Int and Faith and they're stronger overall than Crystal (probably about as good as Lightning). Chaos is probably better because fewer things resist fire than dark.

The Witch's Locks whip is also pretty cool, it's a rad fiery whip.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Harrow posted:

The Witch's Locks whip is also pretty cool, it's a rad fiery whip.

I've been using it exclusively it's highly effective.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's a setting to restrict matchmaking to your own region, although the effectiveness of that might vary depending on where you live. I'm in the northeastern US in a major city, which I don't doubt is part of what makes my experience pretty good in that respect. The worst I get is occasionally I see/hear the "you got hit" or "you got a hit" indicators but nobody takes damage.

See, I got the feeling that a lot of the people going "lag isn't that bad :rolleyes:" are from the US. Still, I'd take some blame for this since I am playing with unrestricted matchmaking but that's because I don't want to lose out on the other multiplayer aspects just because I'm living in Bumfuck, Nowhere.

Is there any good data yet on what exactly the different regions/matchmaking options are? I live in Norway :norway: so I'm pretty used to "local" meaning "useless", but if I can restrict matchmaking and still get lots of messages, bloodstains, etc. then I suppose I should check that option.

Melanion posted:

I like this guy so far. He's more skilled than I am and he explores as obsessively as I do, so I'll probably learn some stuff from him. I tried watching a youtuber I ordinarily like playing DS3 and I could feel my blood pressure rising every time he missed something obvious. He would repeatedly have his recovery souls center-screen for 5 or 10 seconds at a stretch and then run off and leave them.

Me too! I've only watched two videos so far but the guy seems pretty chill and thorough.
That said, watching other people play Souls games can be an exercise in frustration. I know it's really goony, but I've gotten frustrated enough to turn off EnB's videos halfway through because he's unable to see stuff right in front of him or read item descriptions and then complain about lack of lore, etc. Why can't everyone else be as obsessively meticulous as me :negative:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Iretep posted:

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Barbed+Straight+Sword

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Toady posted:

I wonder how many people actually played Demon's Souls that way. I bet most people just wore the Cling Ring and never bothered with body form. In fact, soul form did more damage if you had white character tendency.

Considering the only way to ever be human was to either kill a boss or invade somebody (no consumable that I remember,) it was fairly challenging to maintain full health even if you wanted to, more of a pride thing or some badge of honor. You pretty much had to be hollow all the time unless you were god at the game, which at the time no one was.

I kind of agree that the mechanic has lost a lot of it's meaning, but From realizes it's too iconic to the series to change in 3.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Me too! I've only watched two videos so far but the guy seems pretty chill and thorough.
That said, watching other people play Souls games can be an exercise in frustration. I know it's really goony, but I've gotten frustrated enough to turn off EnB's videos halfway through because he's unable to see stuff right in front of him or read item descriptions and then complain about lack of lore, etc. Why can't everyone else be as obsessively meticulous as me :negative:

ENB is getting better during his DS3 playthrough. He just finished Cathedral of the Deep and he seemed to be extremely impressed with that area and its lore. Same for Abyss Watchers. I like him better when he's happy.

I dropped in on Northernlion's DS3 playthrough because I enjoy his Isaac videos on occasion and he's just the densest dude. With Isaac it's funny but I get very goony and annoyed with Souls.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

By this point I go out of my way to not use straight swords, it's not even special snowflake poo poo, I'm just tired of seeing them and the moveset is so mehhhhh to use.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I use caestus because they own

going to do some research today, to see if the caestus R1 is truly unparryable

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

I use caestus because they own

going to do some research today, to see if the caestus R1 is truly unparryable

I loving love fist weapons, so please do all the research possible and publish it in a research paper. :allears:

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Considering the only way to ever be human was to either kill a boss or invade somebody (no consumable that I remember,) it was fairly challenging to maintain full health even if you wanted to, more of a pride thing or some badge of honor. You pretty much had to be hollow all the time unless you were god at the game, which at the time no one was.

I kind of agree that the mechanic has lost a lot of it's meaning, but From realizes it's too iconic to the series to change in 3.

There were Stones of Ephemeral Eyes which restored your human form. I remember them being pretty common - not as common as humanity and its derivatives, but certainly not rare enough that you'd fret about wasting one.

I feel like with invasions they should maybe just have an opt in thing during character creation, and only let players change it once per playthrough or something. It would probably be a lot easier to design invasions knowing that everybody involved had opted in.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Harrow posted:

ENB is getting better during his DS3 playthrough. He just finished Cathedral of the Deep and he seemed to be extremely impressed with that area and its lore. Same for Abyss Watchers. I like him better when he's happy.

I dropped in on Northernlion's DS3 playthrough because I enjoy his Isaac videos on occasion and he's just the densest dude. With Isaac it's funny but I get very goony and annoyed with Souls.

I watched the first couple episodes of ENB's Dark Souls 3 playthrough and I like the guy but god drat was he being whiny. Like yeah man I get it you're being critical of the game, please just enjoy it first and then focus on being critical or you're not gonna have fun. I'm glad to hear he possibly stopped acting that way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

By this point I go out of my way to not use straight swords, it's not even special snowflake poo poo, I'm just tired of seeing them and the moveset is so mehhhhh to use.

Honestly I kinda miss Bloodborne's weapons. Sure, there were only 15 of them (26 with the DLC) but with very few exceptions each one was entirely unique and pretty drat flashy. (The Saw Cleaver and Saw Spear share an untransformed moveset, as do the Kirkhammer and Ludwig's Holy Blade, but everything else is entirely unique.) I don't really get excited when I find new weapons in DS3 because for the most part a straight sword is a straight sword, a greatsword is a greatsword, etc.

CJacobs posted:

I watched the first couple episodes of ENB's Dark Souls 3 playthrough and I like the guy but god drat was he being whiny. Like yeah man I get it you're being critical of the game, please just enjoy it first and then focus on being critical or you're not gonna have fun. I'm glad to hear he possibly stopped acting that way.

Yeah, the game's winning him over. I wonder, though, what he'll make of Anor Londo. It could really go either way with him.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

See I feel like the only time the invasion system made sense was back in Demon's Souls. It had a very clear purpose - if you died, you got stuck in spirit mode with your max hp halved. If you wanted to go back to full hp you could either co-op and kill a boss, or invade and kill a player (or just use an item but let's ignore that part). It was basically meant as a one-shot thing rather than a career choice. And sure, some players did just kill themselves to immediately invade again but at least the mechanics were designed to very clearly imply when and why you should invade. In Dark Souls it all just kind of went out the window and invading is just a thing you can do, but there's no real reason why you'd WANT to except to just dick over other players.

And yes I realize that is the main reason a lot of people invaded anyway, but the point is that in Demon's Souls it fit in with the game systems - in Dark Souls it's always felt very tacked on to me.

Invasion has always served a very clear purpose since Dark Souls 1: to be the counterweight to summons. If you summon help, you're opting into easy mode. None of the bosses, except maybe some of the ones in DaS3, have ever reasonably scaled to match more than one players, and none of the pre-boss minions scale at all. The series is pretty fundamentally about dreading things, and summoning up help kills that atmosphere. Invasion brings an element of that back while still letting you have your easy mode.

edit: Okay, DaS2 did do that kinda dumb thing where you could get invaded while hollow, but you were much less likely to.

I mean yeah, everyone invading you is doing it because we enjoy being huge assholes, but there is at least a good reason why they keep the mechanic in the game.

Wagrid posted:

There were Stones of Ephemeral Eyes which restored your human form. I remember them being pretty common - not as common as humanity and its derivatives, but certainly not rare enough that you'd fret about wasting one.

There were a ton, and the merchant in Valley of Defilement had an infinite number of them. Pretty steep prices though.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 29, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Honestly I kinda miss Bloodborne's weapons. Sure, there were only 16 of them (27 with the DLC) but with very few exceptions each one was entirely unique and pretty drat flashy. (The Saw Cleaver and Saw Spear share an untransformed moveset, as do the Kirkhammer and Ludwig's Holy Blade, but everything else is entirely unique.) I don't really get excited when I find new weapons in DS3 because for the most part a straight sword is a straight sword, a greatsword is a greatsword, etc.

Counterpoint: Fashion Souls, gimmick runs and being a ~special snowflake~.

e: I don't care if they're the same or even worse, give me variety in flavor text and weapon models!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Counterpoint: Fashion Souls, gimmick runs and being a ~special snowflake~.

Bloodborne had optimal fashionsouls though, unless you were someone to sperg over individual resists super hard for this or that boss, armor was pretty much entirely "Wear what looks cool, fool."

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

How would you build it?

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Harrow posted:

Honestly I kinda miss Bloodborne's weapons. Sure, there were only 16 of them (27 with the DLC) but with very few exceptions each one was entirely unique and pretty drat flashy. (The Saw Cleaver and Saw Spear share an untransformed moveset, as do the Kirkhammer and Ludwig's Holy Blade, but everything else is entirely unique.) I don't really get excited when I find new weapons in DS3 because for the most part a straight sword is a straight sword, a greatsword is a greatsword, etc.

Yeah, I never got the criticism of BB for having too few weapons. Going forward, I'd them take the BB approach - they were pretty much grandfathered in for DS3.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yardbomb posted:

Bloodborne had optimal fashionsouls though, unless you were someone to sperg over individual resists super hard for this or that boss, armor was pretty much entirely "Wear what looks cool, fool."

I think what he was implying is that Bloodborne doesn't have any good fashion, which is nearly the most wrong thing a human has ever said.

<--

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wagrid posted:

Yeah, I never got the criticism of BB for having too few weapons. Going forward, I'd them take the BB approach - they were pretty much grandfathered in for DS3.

I think the Bloodborne weapon thing is partially why I'm as disappointed with weapon Skills as I am. They were sold as a way to make weapons unique and give you more options than ever, but for the most part, weapons of the same class--who already share a huge portion of their movesets--also share a Skill. The weapons with a Skill outside of their usual weapon class are cool--I love that the Astora Greatsword has Charge instead of Stomp, for example--but those rare exceptions don't really override the majority. At least most boss weapons and Twinkling Titanite weapons have unique Skills.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 18, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

That's true, but I often base my gimmick fashion runs around a weapon (gotta have a starting point) and I just hate it when games do the whole "there's only 5 weapons but they're expertly balanced" thing because variety is so much more fun, even if it's mechanically just a bunch of comparable weapons. Heck, I don't care if X is just a worse version of the Longsword; it looks different and I want to make a character to use it!

CJacobs posted:

I think what he was implying is that Bloodborne doesn't have any good fashion

If you're talking about me then that's not what I said at all :ohdear: If not, disregard this. I'm just saying that weapon aesthetics is a huge part of Fashion Souls for me, and the more the merrier.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I think what he was implying is that Bloodborne doesn't have any good fashion, which is nearly the most wrong thing a human has ever said.

<--

Well, I think Your Computer's point was, let's say you like the Kirkhammer's moveset but you don't really like how it looks. Maybe you want a hammer that looks more primal or vicious or something. Dark Souls 3 has you covered--chances are, you can find a weapon with a similar moveset that looks different. Bloodborne doesn't really have that.

I think that's a perfectly fine sacrifice for a suite of weapons that are (almost) all completely unique, but I can see why others would want more aesthetic variety in weapons independent of gameplay variety. Differing priorities.

McFunkerson posted:

I'm running a strength build and have been liking the Butcher's Knife a lot... No one seems to talk about this weapon, am I missing something?

In previous souls games I've tried to avoid all forms of PvP like the plague because I just wanted to play the game (I've also been way late to the party on the other games so PvP had died down anyway). I've tried to be more open to it in DS3 and I'm actually kind of enjoying it. I still hate being invaded when I'm trying to progress through an area for the first time, but helping people beat bosses and vanquish invaders has been fun for the most part.

The Butcher's Knife is really good. I think it just gets overshadowed by Yhorm's Great Machete in the late-game, which is why you see that talked about more.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

CJacobs posted:

The Dragonslayer Armor is a reference to Ornstein of DS1 and his armor, it's basically just "what if Ornstein was a strength character instead of dex". Lore-wise, I think it's supposed to represent how the changing needs of people who become dragonslayers have changed what dragonslayer armor looks like over the years.

Ah, my first thought was Ornstein, but then I saw his big, gently caress-off hammer, and dismissed the thought.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
If I'm looking to have maybe around 30 int eventually as a faith/int pyro should I spend the deacons soul on Deep Soul or the Candlestick?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah, my first thought was Ornstein, but then I saw his big, gently caress-off hammer, and dismissed the thought.

Yeah, Dragonslayer Armor isn't Ornstein. That said, Ornstein's armor and weapon are in the game.

Failboattootoot posted:

If I'm looking to have maybe around 30 int eventually as a faith/int pyro should I spend the deacons soul on Deep Soul or the Candlestick?

Honestly, doesn't really matter. An equally Int/Faith pyro can probably use Deep Soul better than a pure Int sorcerer, or at least as well, but you're probably not going to use many other sorceries (they really require 50-60 Int to be worth it lategame) and so there's not much of a reason to keep a catalyst around. Same for the Candlestick, it's a pure sorcerer thing. Spend it on whichever you think you might want to play around with more.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

The majority of people who played Dark Souls 2 liked it though so playing that card doesn't help you.

BTW if From didn't care about invasions they wouldn't of made the Aldrich Faithful covenant, an area that stacks invasions hilariously in favor of the invaders that come in droves. From is just really bad at balancing PvP.

I don't think they care about balancing PvP because they don't intend for it to be a fair and equal mechanic. An invader is just a human-controlled element of the level intended to put embered players on edge unless they group up. You have things like the Aldritch Faithful hotspot, which is ridiculously stacked against embered players because it's supposed to be a hostile roadblock before the big Anor Londo revisit, and it makes sense that Aldritch worshippers would try to stop you. The PvP system is just a lore indulgence meant to throw more hostility at players, and you get some rewards for participating in it.

Internet Kraken posted:

"Plenty" is an exaggeration. I always play embered and solo and very rarely get invasions.

What platform are you on? I get invaded pretty reliably on PS4. The second I lit the first bonfire in the High Wall on NG+, someone came in.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Harrow posted:

I think the Bloodborne weapon thing is partially why I'm as disappointed with weapon Skills as I am. They were sold as a way to make weapons unique and give you more options than ever, but for the most part, weapons of the same class--who already share a huge portion of their movesets--also share a Skill. The weapons with a Skill outside of their usual weapon class are cool--I love that the Astora Greatsword has Charge instead of Stomp, for example--but those rare exceptions don't really override the majority. At least most boss weapons and Twinkling Titanite weapons have unique Skills.

I really like weapon skills, but yeah, it's definitely something I hope they retain going forward and keep developing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Something is wrong with the aged female's voice when she shouts HEY!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I really wish the Farron covenant worked for me at all. :(

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Can we have Dark Souls 1 remade in the DS3 engine please

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Something is wrong with the aged female's voice when she shouts HEY!

The middle male voice sounds like a dog is barking or something when I do it.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

CJacobs posted:

If you invade someone and they manage to get around you and make it to the fog door alive and without killing you, they deserve to live and you're a chump

You may or may not be surprised at the number of times FROM's system decides to plop me into a world where the host is two steps away from entering the fog door. I really wish that wouldn't happen, it's a complete waste of my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

NTT posted:

Can we have Dark Souls 1 remade in the DS3 engine please

The only thing I'd want out of a remake is extra bosses so I can one-hit stagger fume knight or nameless king with the zweihander's R2