Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

Just checked this and everyone's playing a corvette right now except one guy playing a destroyer.

I check his video just as he's starting a match, only to die to a corvette he didn't see. "gently caress this, I'm going back to corvette!" he said.

Not an encouraging sign for big fat ship lovers.

That's because pubbies are super horrible at this game, I've been in several random games where I've carried a team in a tac cruiser and somehow end up with the most kills on a team. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Back Hack posted:

That's because pubbies are super horrible at this game, I've been in several random games where I've carried a team in a tac cruiser and somehow end up with the most kills on a team. :psyduck:

The heal beam is amazing at kill stealing securing.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I dont understand why publords think Corvettes are the end all be all and so OP. I have zero problems murdering them. All it requires is a pulse and not being a loving moron.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Skoll posted:

I dont understand why publords think Corvettes are the end all be all and so OP. I have zero problems murdering them. All it requires is a pulse and not being a loving moron.

:agreed:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

And/or Tractor Beams (my personal favorite), stasis beams, stasis missiles, tractor pods, and numerous other abilities.

Xae posted:

The heal beam is amazing at kill stealing securing.

No, this was kills from rockets alone. :suicide:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 29, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Freakazoid_ posted:

Someone who plays MWO please give me a comparison to how similar/different this game is?

Just checked this and everyone's playing a corvette right now except one guy playing a destroyer.

I check his video just as he's starting a match, only to die to a corvette he didn't see. "gently caress this, I'm going back to corvette!" he said.

Not an encouraging sign for big fat ship lovers.

Can you look at a minimap once in a while? Can you mash F2 as soon as you hear or see a shot coming at you? Congratulations! You don't have to worry about corvettes any more!*

*Assuming you're near someone else that can kill them, if you are a tac cruiser

Most of the Corvette builds can do in the range of 20kish damage on a full magazine from their primary weapon + something like torps. The only destroyers they can one round are lights, and only if they don't raise shields. Yea, they have plenty of damage to one round snipers with ~15k HP, but even they can raise shields and weather a volley with minimal damage.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Thor-Stryker posted:

It really needs some aoe anti-heal or aoe push or an ability like Fractured space where you harpoon a ship and drag them away from their buff bubble.

I was using Tractor Beam to pull fatties closer to our blob last night.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
What exactly is diverting power to weapons doing? It clearly increases my attack speed, but does it do anything for abilities or is that it?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

The Royal Scrub posted:

What exactly is diverting power to weapons doing? It clearly increases my attack speed, but does it do anything for abilities or is that it?

Increases the rate of fire and damage, it doesn't effect abilities as far as I know.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Goons, as the OP suggests, who do I beg for a key? I fancy trying it, and got a key last week when their web server was FUBAR, and had no Redeem Key option, so it's since been redeemed.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Back Hack posted:

Increases the rate of fire and damage, it doesn't effect abilities as far as I know.

There is a weapons officer skill that boosts the damage of abilities when you divert power to weapons, iirc.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Shockeh posted:

Goons, as the OP suggests, who do I beg for a key? I fancy trying it, and got a key last week when their web server was FUBAR, and had no Redeem Key option, so it's since been redeemed.

I'm also here to beg for a key, rattling my cup and trying to make awkward eye contact with passing key-havers.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Game is pretty fun.

Pubbies are pretty bad.

Destroyers are the best, and when dumb corvettes try to hide behind your engines, you obliterate them with flak cannons.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Apparently the email keys are bound to that email when the person sends it. I gave my throwaway email so I don't get their game newsletter spam expected a key you redeem on their site so I can put it on my account with my actual email and nope. Contacted support, so far no word back.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Does this game feel as slow as it looks? I watched some twitch and drat those ships seem to float around at a snails pace.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

how me a frog posted:

Does this game feel as slow as it looks? I watched some twitch and drat those ships seem to float around at a snails pace.

Yeah. World of Whales with lasers and guns really.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

thylacine posted:

Yeah. World of Whales with lasers and guns really.

That's a shame. Not for me then.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

how me a frog posted:

Some ships are fast, some are not.

The game modes at the moment reward turtling, so fast ships are typically not used.

They are huge loads of fun but rely on teamwork, so I doubt you ever see people streaming with them.

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

corvettes if they are solo are easy, but 2 or more coordinated corvettes stealth up to a target and can melt it before they can react. then just afterburner out and repeat. Still waiting to see a decent team stop this, but it stomped teams for about 5-6 hours straight last night.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Did the sever just go down while I was being the Hand of God as a tac cruiser? :stonk:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
ya it disconnected me too, and i was making some tutorial vids for the op :negative:

edit: pocket healer is OP

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 30, 2016

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

how me a frog posted:

Depends greatly on what you're doing.

I've got a Destroyer with a Plasma Ram and Jump Drive. I murder poo poo in seconds if I can line it up.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Evil_Greven posted:

Depends greatly on what you're doing.

I've got a Destroyer with a Plasma Ram and Jump Drive. I murder poo poo in seconds if I can line it up.

Light destroyer with engine rigger and plasma ram is the best thing ever.

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

Munion posted:

corvettes if they are solo are easy, but 2 or more coordinated corvettes stealth up to a target and can melt it before they can react. then just afterburner out and repeat. Still waiting to see a decent team stop this, but it stomped teams for about 5-6 hours straight last night.

Welp... all it takes is a team who watches their modules... as soon as you are in range their modules turn green and they can hit you with missiles or pulses or whatever... Makes stealth useless against any team who knows this.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

It is also very funny watching cloaked ships beeline towards you thinking they can't see their shimmering ship

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

This game would be amazing if the drat servers would stop making GBS threads themselves.

Here are my stats after the grind to level 15. 7 hours played to unlock the secont tier of ships, not too terrible. Was grouped with two RL friends till 11 then was solo from then to 15,

P.S. Pubbies are so incredibly bad at this game.

P.S.S. Destroyers are the best.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
What's your destroyer strategy? I think it's the only ship I don't really get.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

The Royal Scrub posted:

What's your destroyer strategy? I think it's the only ship I don't really get.

The way I use them is as a missile boat - load the thing up with as many long-range missiles as you can and fire at cruisers if you can while plinking with your main gun. You've got enough armor to slug it out if they warp into your nest, and nukes or vultures to break up theirs without going in head-first. The weight classes here matter a lot - the heavy destroyer has 1.5x the health of the medium one, but moves much more slowly so using torpedoes (much shorter range than missiles) is next to impossible. Destroyers ALMOST seem built to facilitate torpedoes, but torpedoes in general seem underwhelming so I stick to missiles and nukes most of the time; I'm trying out a medium with both right now and it's doing alright.

The big boys (dreads and destroyers) have way more emphasis on sustaining your damage over time, and can take more punishment. Use that to your advantage by taking longer peeks, but don't ignore cover without a tac cruiser supporting you or you can still get gunned down really fast as a destroyer.

Destroyers also typically have main weapons way more suited to swatting corvettes out so they don't gank your tactical cruisers and artillary, so they're much friendlier towards nesting than dreadnoughts, who should be the primary sluggers. The medium destroyer's repeaters in particular are super useful for reminding corvettes that they can't just sit on top of you getting free kills, but with good enough aim you can do it with the heavy too.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This game looks fun, please dissuade me from buying a founders pack for a free to play game.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Every time I sit down to play this game the servers are either dead or matchmaking just keeps counting.

I know it's a Beta but Jesus Christ.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This game looks fun, please dissuade me from buying a founders pack for a free to play game.

PM me your email and I'll just send you a key?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

m.hache posted:

Every time I sit down to play this game the servers are either dead or matchmaking just keeps counting.

I know it's a Beta but Jesus Christ.

They've sent out beta codes like mad. It's definitely shown the limits of their capacity but I guess the stress testing was needed.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Jorge Bell posted:

The way I use them is as a missile boat - load the thing up with as many long-range missiles as you can and fire at cruisers if you can while plinking with your main gun. You've got enough armor to slug it out if they warp into your nest, and nukes or vultures to break up theirs without going in head-first. The weight classes here matter a lot - the heavy destroyer has 1.5x the health of the medium one, but moves much more slowly so using torpedoes (much shorter range than missiles) is next to impossible. Destroyers ALMOST seem built to facilitate torpedoes, but torpedoes in general seem underwhelming so I stick to missiles and nukes most of the time; I'm trying out a medium with both right now and it's doing alright.

The big boys (dreads and destroyers) have way more emphasis on sustaining your damage over time, and can take more punishment. Use that to your advantage by taking longer peeks, but don't ignore cover without a tac cruiser supporting you or you can still get gunned down really fast as a destroyer.

Destroyers also typically have main weapons way more suited to swatting corvettes out so they don't gank your tactical cruisers and artillary, so they're much friendlier towards nesting than dreadnoughts, who should be the primary sluggers. The medium destroyer's repeaters in particular are super useful for reminding corvettes that they can't just sit on top of you getting free kills, but with good enough aim you can do it with the heavy too.

I have also noticed the destroyer the game has unlocked first is the heaviest version, and the dreadnought, the lightest version, the destroyer is almost a better dreadnought because of it, destroyers also own at long range fights as while missiles can be shot down. your bullets can not, and they have the longest range that is not a laser or an arty cruiser.

I still have stock stuff, but swapping the gen for the warp is a huge quality of life injector, for getting out of tight spots, and jumping into engagements you can win

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Xae posted:

PM me your email and I'll just send you a key?

Wasn't directed at me, but sent you a PM anyway!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So are goons actually playing this together at all?

Also how do you unlock the hero ship you get for buying the 10 dollar pack?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pharnakes posted:

Yes. Two groups of us were in mumble for several hours last night playing until about 2-3 AM EST.

You have to redeem a code you get in the email on their website and it injects the founders stuff into your account.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I did that but it doesn't show up ingame. Google shows I am not the only one having this issues, so oh well.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

Stevefin posted:

I have also noticed the destroyer the game has unlocked first is the heaviest version, and the dreadnought, the lightest version, the destroyer is almost a better dreadnought because of it, destroyers also own at long range fights as while missiles can be shot down. your bullets can not, and they have the longest range that is not a laser or an arty cruiser.

I still have stock stuff, but swapping the gen for the warp is a huge quality of life injector, for getting out of tight spots, and jumping into engagements you can win

Yeah, dreadnought game gets way better with the medium class one unlocked - having repeaters is great for close range or quicker targets, and you finally feel tough enough to do dreadnought stuff. I unlocked fighters and want to see how they work, so I'll be dreadnought-heavy for the next few sessions I think.

For anyone having trouble connecting with matchmaking: try buying something from the market! If the transaction goes through, the connection to the server is fine and it's just taking a long time to find a match. If it hangs after you try to purchase it, the connection is down and you're better off taking a break. While connected I've never had to wait more than a minute and a half to find a match.

Jorge Bell fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 30, 2016

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

I didn't do anything, it was just there. Just have to click on the hero button either before battle or in the hanger for looking at how it's outfitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
If I click on the morningstar in the hero tab it just takes me to the store to buy it for points.

• Locked thread