Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Okay I will do that. I'm not a dad so I think I might be trying too hard

Trying way too hard and being weird and picky and keeping special dad foods you hide from people is also pretty dadly it's all in the, the um, grumble grumble frazzle crumpus DONT TOUCH MY SCOTCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Since I get yelled at for not taking pictures, I decided to finally take snap some pics of something I've been working on for awhile.

The thing I've been working on is the Farrinata or Socca underneath that luscious Alshark 'dine. It's flatbread made from chickpea flour and little else. In this case it's the flour that I've added water to and set out to let hydrate for 5 hours. I the put a liberal amount of olive oil in a backing dish and then put the batter in about 1/4 inch deep. I sprinkled some chopped chive on top then salt and pepper. I baked it in a 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes, though I feel it needs a touch more. After it came out, I let it cool for awhile, then rubbed some garlic cloves on top and drizzled more oil on it. Then I just slapped a whole 'dine with some hot sauce on top and this is the result. I don't quite have the various elements right, but that just means the texture wasn't where I want it. The flavor is amazing and it's the perfect vehicle for a nice sardine.

Chickpea flatbread has this amazing texture where it can be flaky on the outside and almost creamy and custardy on the inside. It has a slight nuttiness to it and really picks up whatever flavor you throw at it. Chickpea flour is also cheap as poo poo, has much more protein than wheat bread, far less carbs, and a lot more fiber.

Also, for me, the best 'dine is Alshark in Spicy Oil. So amazing, such a good lightly smokey flavor, such a nice firm texture.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Anyone had John West Kipper Fillets in Sunflower Oil? Saw them today in the "international foods" section of Publix but they were $6/tin so I passed. Also, got a can of this

It is poo poo.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Mediterranean KOs are my favourite, especially to eat on their own!! The oil and 'dines give the black olives a nice flavour and texture.

I tried the cracked pepper ones, and as much as I love pepper, I hated those. It was overwhelmingly stale-black-pepper tasting. :(

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite ginger drink

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

if the ginger beer isn't using cane sugar then forget about buying it

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Caring about sugar types is dumb

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

pahuyuth posted:

Anyone had John West Kipper Fillets in Sunflower Oil? Saw them today in the "international foods" section of Publix but they were $6/tin so I passed.

I enjoy my plain $2.00 season kippers in olive oil, but I don't have access to much more. Have you tried other kippers?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

pahuyuth posted:

Anyone had John West Kipper Fillets in Sunflower Oil? Saw them today in the "international foods" section of Publix but they were $6/tin so I passed.

Had a can a few months ago, very rich and the oil gave the kippers a sweetness.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Sheep-Goats posted:

My favorite ginger drink

Blenheim is my go-to. Makes a mean dark n stormy.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

hello thread, just wanted to let you know i took your advice and i just got done eating my first sardine tin

i got the king oscars with olive oil, a salted rye cracker, and some tobasco

pretty loving good. idk why i was intimidated by them. they taste a lot like whitefish salad, which is a thing i've been eating my whole life. turns out they're really oily though. is there a way i can reduce the oil or did i just not drain it enough?

edit: also holy poo poo my breath stinks. do NOT impress your date by eating sardines!!!

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

hello thread, just wanted to let you know i took your advice and i just got done eating my first sardine tin

pretty loving good. idk why i was intimidated by them. they taste a lot like whitefish salad, which is a thing i've been eating my whole life. turns out they're really oily though. is there a way i can reduce the oil or did i just not drain it enough?

edit: also holy poo poo my breath stinks. do NOT impress your date by eating sardines!!!

I don't know if you've burped since you've eaten them, but prepare yourself

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

They are oily by nature, try eating them with something that can be good with oil like bread or else something vinegary

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Overwined posted:

Since I get yelled at for not taking pictures, I decided to finally take snap some pics of something I've been working on for awhile.

The thing I've been working on is the Farrinata or Socca underneath that luscious Alshark 'dine. It's flatbread made from chickpea flour and little else. In this case it's the flour that I've added water to and set out to let hydrate for 5 hours. I the put a liberal amount of olive oil in a backing dish and then put the batter in about 1/4 inch deep. I sprinkled some chopped chive on top then salt and pepper. I baked it in a 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes, though I feel it needs a touch more. After it came out, I let it cool for awhile, then rubbed some garlic cloves on top and drizzled more oil on it. Then I just slapped a whole 'dine with some hot sauce on top and this is the result. I don't quite have the various elements right, but that just means the texture wasn't where I want it. The flavor is amazing and it's the perfect vehicle for a nice sardine.

Chickpea flatbread has this amazing texture where it can be flaky on the outside and almost creamy and custardy on the inside. It has a slight nuttiness to it and really picks up whatever flavor you throw at it. Chickpea flour is also cheap as poo poo, has much more protein than wheat bread, far less carbs, and a lot more fiber.

Also, for me, the best 'dine is Alshark in Spicy Oil. So amazing, such a good lightly smokey flavor, such a nice firm texture.

Looks good but the lack of gluten in 100% cp flour is sad.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

They are oily by nature, try eating them with something that can be good with oil like bread or else something vinegary

i used a pretty thick rye cracker and it was remarkably better when i switched from frank's to tobasco. still had a really oily feeling in my mouth 10-15m after i finished eating them.

if you guys like these things i'd recommend finding a jewish deli around you if you have them. whitefish salad, smoked sabel, and lox are all up there with this

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

i used a pretty thick rye cracker and it was remarkably better when i switched from frank's to tobasco. still had a really oily feeling in my mouth 10-15m after i finished eating them.

if you guys like these things i'd recommend finding a jewish deli around you if you have them. whitefish salad, smoked sabel, and lox are all up there with this

I've never had sable, but hot-smoked whitefish, salmon, and bluefish are all goddamn delicious, so I assume sable is as well.

To your original question I usually dump my dines into a sieve for a few minutes while I get the rest of my stuff ready, it may not actually drain more oil but it's not a lot of extra effort.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Mr. Wookums posted:

Looks good but the lack of gluten in 100% cp flour is sad.

I'm very much pro-gluten (as all dads should be) but I find the texture really interesting. I have thought about mixing chickpea flour with wheat flour and maybe leavening it, but it's hard to find a good recipe for this. The only one I found is 2.5 cups bread flour and 0.5 cup chickpea flour :jerkbag:

Anyway, this morning I had some leftover batter and I cooked another batch, cut out some squares, then topped the squares with thinly scrambled egg and kim chi and that was quite amazing as well.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

drain the oil out before taking the deens out. that way they aren't almost dripping in olive oil when you take them out

also use bread instead of a cracker to soak the remaining oil up. toasted or untoasted. I've gone the simple route a few times and just put deens (we're of course talking KO regular, mediterranean, or jalapeņo) on a slice of bakery bread, folded it and ate that mofo. good stuff

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Dines with spicy mustard in between two slices of plain white toast is great drunk food.

Just don't forget to brush your teeth before passing out. It WILL come back to haunt you.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i toast my bread at 500 degrees

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

nawcom posted:

drain the oil out before taking the deens out. that way they aren't almost dripping in olive oil when you take them out

also use bread instead of a cracker to soak the remaining oil up. toasted or untoasted. I've gone the simple route a few times and just put deens (we're of course talking KO regular, mediterranean, or jalapeņo) on a slice of bakery bread, folded it and ate that mofo. good stuff

i will not do this since im on a diet but it sounds really good!

how do the mediterranean compare to the regular? almost got them but decided to go vanilla for my first dine experience

edit:

ChrisHansen posted:

Dines with spicy mustard in between two slices of plain white toast is great drunk food.

Just don't forget to brush your teeth before passing out. It WILL come back to haunt you.
keeping an emergency tin of dines for when i'm shitfaced sounds like a great idea, actually. i've decided that i'll buy them again but do them like once a week at most. a tin of dines is like 250-300 calories :ohdear:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

how do the mediterranean compare to the regular? almost got them but decided to go vanilla for my first dine experience

They're good, but my least favorite of the KO. I like the jalapeno flavor and I like the cracked pepper a lot.

Spanish style is good too, but they're boneless/skinless, which is not my preference.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Fintilgin posted:

They're good, but my least favorite of the KO. I like the jalapeno flavor and I like the cracked pepper a lot.

Spanish style is good too, but they're boneless/skinless, which is not my preference.

Same.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

i will not do this since im on a diet but it sounds really good!

edit:

keeping an emergency tin of dines for when i'm shitfaced sounds like a great idea, actually. i've decided that i'll buy them again but do them like once a week at most. a tin of dines is like 250-300 calories :ohdear:

Those are all good calories though. Healthy fats. They're good for you. Eat one tin if you're worried about it. But, do as you like.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

250-300 calories :ohdear:

and one protein bar is like 280 cals.

The gently caress man?

Eat the dang bones!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah 250-300 for a serving of fatty meat ain't too bad

I mean it's not fantastic compared to chicken breast or water packed tuna but what is?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

eating 250 calories worth of sardines and its absorbed olive oil every day is actually a smart health choice. dunno what's up with you

e: What Are the Benefits of Eating Sardines?

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 30, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sardines are so good for you that you can utterly ignore the calorie content. Even neurotic bodybuilders approve of sardines as downside-free

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If your sole goal is weight loss every calorie counts. It's a valid consideration if you're trying to keep to 1500 a day or something. Once you're at weight (and probably exercising) the dines shouldn't be an issue for your weight though.

They're also a good mix of protein and fat that generally makes people feel full on less, making them not a bad snack for the weight conscious.

Long term they're quite a good thing to eat for your dick sucking snakes, as mentioned early on itt

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

If your sole goal is weight loss every calorie counts. It's a valid consideration if you're trying to keep to 1500 a day or something. Once you're at weight (and probably exercising) the dines shouldn't be an issue for your weight though.

They're also a good mix of protein and fat that generally makes people feel full on less, making them not a bad snack for the weight conscious.

Long term they're quite a good thing to eat for your dick sucking snakes, as mentioned early on itt

A tin of sardines is calorie neutral to most people cutting calories that hard, assuming they treat it as a replacement for the fish oil capsules and scoop of protein powder they would've been having anyway. This is how I treated them on my most recent cut and it was way more enjoyable than dumb shakes and pills

If it's one of those people cutting to like 1200 calories on nothing but big bowls of rice or a soup diet then there's no hope for them anyway so they may as well eat the 'dines

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Christ I did the calorie restriction poo poo.

I would rather scarf steak and chug beer then go back.

As long as poo poo stay relatively where it is at.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

Christ I did the calorie restriction poo poo.

I would rather scarf steak and chug beer then go back.

As long as poo poo stay relatively where it is at.

I got better results keeping my carbs down to ~100g/day and eating a lot more fat than I did from strict calorie cutting, but I also lift 4x a week. Not sure how the approach would work for normies but working out more beats cutting calories by a mile imho

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Epic High Five posted:

I got better results keeping my carbs down to ~100g/day and eating a lot more fat than I did from strict calorie cutting, but I also lift 4x a week. Not sure how the approach would work for normies but working out more beats cutting calories by a mile imho

Hell yeah, want to eat more then lift heavy poo poo more and I'm not talking about one's own prodigious girth.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Hell yeah, want to eat more, you lift heavy poo poo more and I'm not talking about one's own prodigious girth.

:hf: awwww yeah, people assume i'm there for the curlz4girls/glutes4sloots plan but really I'm just there so I can keep eating a shitload of good food and not blow up. everything else is just a side effect

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They're really good for a salad and/or pasta. Toss that poo poo with some feta or parmesan. Yum.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Jesus, you're a 20 something try hard.

I have a gut, love to eat and drink.

I'll deal with some pudginess.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

made the wife get me a couple cans of kipper fillets, gonna mash that poo poo up with lemon, sour cream because to hell with creme fraiche, horseradish, chives, and cream cheese. Spread and serve on some good rear end toasted crusty bread and some onion slices, you ask? You goddamn right, son.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
just had some dines on crackers with dijon

life is good

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

One more trip report for the Brunswick Sardines in Mustard Sauce, they were half the price of the Clover Leaf Brislings and so great things were not expected of them...

On their own, with a fork, over the sink... a bit blah. Texture was fine, but none of the 'meaty' taste of the Clover Leaf ones. A lot more 'fishy' smell in the kitchen afterwards. Children objected, not that I gave a drat. I changed their diapers, they can suffer some sardine smell.

So I decided to fry them in a pan, then use them as topping on a couple of over-easy eggs with sriracha and curry powder and a spinach 'salad' (=pile of spinach) on the side and that was drat tasty.

So I think I'm hooked on the deen now -- well done, thread. Time to go buy a bunch and try out some of the OP recipes. Thank you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You can pay us back with photos you're welcome