Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I'm pretty sure Kaidou's entire character arc is going to be why 'Brute Strength' isn't enough to make you a good leader/pirate king. Kaidou is called the World's Strongest Creature, right? He has the whole Oni motif going on, after all. One Piece has usually been pretty smart about it's underlying philosophy, and I think we'll see how Will Power doesn't just equate to Raw Physical Prowess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Kaidou seems to have very little will power or motivation to do much, really. He wanted to have a devilfruit crew, but he seems to not really have much ambition. Likely why he is not pirate king despite being obscenely strong physically and supposedly well beyond any other character in the series in that regard.

Anxiously awaiting him hitting Luffy in the face with that kanabo and Luffy's head stretching all the way to another island.

Also calling now that every yonku (excluding blackbeard) knew Rogers personally in some way just like whitebeard and Shanks did.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Crazyeyes posted:

Kaidou seems to have very little will power or motivation to do much, really. He wanted to have a devilfruit crew, but he seems to not really have much ambition. Likely why he is not pirate king despite being obscenely strong physically and supposedly well beyond any other character in the series in that regard.

Anxiously awaiting him hitting Luffy in the face with that kanabo and Luffy's head stretching all the way to another island.

Also calling now that every yonku (excluding blackbeard) knew Rogers personally in some way just like whitebeard and Shanks did.

yeah Kaidou seems like a giant muscle baby, who is a complete terror that nobody wants to deal with, which is why he ended up as an emperor.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

I just kind of figured he'd turn the area around him into rubber, isn't that sort of what Doflamingo's did (but with string buildings)?

No, Doflamingo's was command over String Theory

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Space-Bird posted:

yeah Kaidou seems like a giant muscle baby, who is a complete terror that nobody wants to deal with, which is why he ended up as an emperor.

that gets you as a shichibukai and idk why i'm using that instead of warlord. you need to be capable of leading people to be an emperor

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
So he is Krieg 2.0? It'd be neat to see Krieg and Gin subjugated by him.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Jose posted:

that gets you as a shichibukai and idk why i'm using that instead of warlord. you need to be capable of leading people to be an emperor

Not necessarily. I'd say that at any given point an Admiral could beat any Warlord. The same isn't true for Admirals and Emperors. Kaidou probably doesn't have anything to gain from striking a deal with the Marines because he's strong enough to take just about anything he wants in the New World.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shoren posted:

Not necessarily. I'd say that at any given point an Admiral could beat any Warlord. The same isn't true for Admirals and Emperors. Kaidou probably doesn't have anything to gain from striking a deal with the Marines because he's strong enough to take just about anything he wants in the New World.

Mihawk is a warlord.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the marines just make anyone insanely strong an admiral. the emperors is different because you need ot be able to command an area and retard strong doesn't seem to be enough.

kaidou is also half giant/orz

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlXQIdGcjJo I came here to post this because someone linked this to me

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
It looks like there are spoilers out for 825, and the most important thing to say is that One Piece will be on break after the latest chapter.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Comic posted:

So he is Krieg 2.0? It'd be neat to see Krieg and Gin subjugated by him.

would be cool if we could get through one page without people theorizing new lovely ways for gin or jinbe to be brought back even though they suck rear end

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Admirals gather at Reverie, including the newest one...

Axe-Hand Morgan

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Scratchman Apoo posted:

It looks like there are spoilers out for 825, and the most important thing to say is that One Piece will be on break after the latest chapter.

The spoilers look super fake, but it's from a good source, so I dunno. :shrug:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

The Admirals gather at Reverie, including the newest one...

Gin

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
chapters often release early/we get spoilers early before jump takes a week off really often and pretty much everyone is saying they're real so vOv

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ryaomon posted:

would be cool if we could get through one page without people theorizing new lovely ways for gin or jinbe to be brought back even though they suck rear end

Jinbe is cool. :colbert:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Does anyone else get the feeling Oda retconned Sanji's past to have a connection with this Germa 66 group? It just seems like a way of tying Sanji to Big Mom and to get the Straw Hats involved.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Does anyone else get the feeling Oda retconned Sanji's past to have a connection with this Germa 66 group? It just seems like a way of tying Sanji to Big Mom and to get the Straw Hats involved.

There was always something up about the fact that Oda had Sanji come from North Blue unlike the other Straw Hats. In any case, Oda left that fact as a potential plot hook which he's now using.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It would only be a retcon if we already knew about his family and Oda changed it later. Like if we'd seen flashbacks of Sanji's happy family living a normal life and then dying tragically or something. But we knew absolutely nothing about him or his life before getting shipwrecked with Zeff, other than that he's from North Blue. Oda left it empty, and now he's filling it in.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 30, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm actually pretty worried about Sanji. When he first joined, starving on an island with a great Chef Pirate was a sad enough back story. But now everyone's back story has been topping the previous sad back story and he's got to compete with Robin, Brooke, and Law's tragic back stories.

I'm not sure I'm ready for the terrifying tale of a child assassin killing his way to a conscience, finding a way across the Grand Line and Red Line, only to join a doomed ship as a kitchen boy.

Edit: I bet that freak storm that marooned Sanji and Zeff was actually a punitive attack by his family.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 30, 2016

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Like a lot of things with Oda, I doubt he had it planned down to minute detail but he definitely did have something planned. The whole thing about Sanji's face never appearing on a wanted poster until recently is testament to that.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Turns out One Piece is not just a documentary of a world Oda has fully constructed in his head, and is in fact a story that's written as he goes, where plot hooks are dropped for plots that are invented later.

What a hack.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Eiba posted:

Turns out One Piece is not just a documentary of a world Oda has fully constructed in his head, and is in fact a story that's written as he goes, where plot hooks are dropped for plots that are invented later.

What a hack.

This is a post of dumb and needless sarcasm.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

There were gaps in Sanji's backstory. Now they are being filled. How much of this was planned from the beginning? Does it really matter? It doesn't contradict any part of the story, and it's obviously going to have wider consequences beyond this arc. I'm definitely interested in seeing how this plays out.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Do you know what website you are on right now?

JohnnyCocksville
Feb 1, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
one piece isnt real

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
one piece...... is a serialized manga series created by eiichiro oda!!!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

anime was right posted:

one piece...... is a serialized manga series created by eiichiro oda!!!

:eyepop:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dr Subterfuge posted:

It was a dumb use of the word "retcon".

But you're right. It wasn't all that called for. It just raises my hackles when folks get disappointed in One Piece for, you know, being a serialized story. Like when people dismiss the Supernova as irrelevant to the "real" story when they hear the story about Oda doing all their character designs at once when his editor told him to make Sabaody more interesting. Like if he hasn't planned it from the very start it's not worth anything.

It's really cool that Oda has a bunch of well thought out and executed long term plots, and it irrationally irks me that it leads to people dismissing stuff that's, in contrast, just normal story telling. His cool intricate plot is just a skeleton that he hangs the really cool stories that are the meat of One Piece.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Do you know what website you are on right now?

The sole surviving bastion of rational free speech and reasonable discussion on the internet I think?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Do you loving see what Golden Week does to us?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Advice posted:

Do you loving see what Golden Week does to us?

Golden Week canonically does have the power to inspire jealousy and despair and anger, among other emotions, in her targets.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Hey, Revolutionaries are a thing we're getting into now so here's a scene with Ivankov, Luffy and Dragon from the dub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XONlE0At9s

I just wanted to share dub clips, they just released the end of Impel Dawn and Bon Clay's sacrifice was really great

Oh and here's Blackbeard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkO6QGDB_zw

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Hey, Revolutionaries are a thing we're getting into now so here's a scene with Ivankov, Luffy and Dragon from the dub

I just wanted to share dub clips, they just released the end of Impel Dawn and Bon Clay's sacrifice was really great

Oh and here's Blackbeard

comparing pre timeskip animation to post timeskip animation just makes me sad :/

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Please post the spoilers.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

anime was right posted:

comparing pre timeskip animation to post timeskip animation just makes me sad :/

I watch the dub with my little sister as Funimation releases it, like 11-14 episodes every month on boxset for 30 bucks is amazing. Every now and then they take a break but they are going to speed through Marineford. It's going to be really heartbreaking once we get to the part it's unwatchable but I mean..atleast it's after the time skip right?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
825 spoilers from some guy. I unno.

Vito reveals the tale behind “Germa 66″
- Germa 66 were a demonic army who clashed with the marines and based on their various confrontations the Navy created famous stories regarding the “Heroes” of the Navy.
- It was an Illustrated Story published in “The World” (An International Newspaper)
- “The brave warrior of the sea who could walk on top of the sea named “Sora”, ROBOT alliance and Seagull (Kanome) duked it out with the demonic army Germa 66″
- There are fans of the story all over world!
- Essentially it was a tale that was made to brainwash the kids with the Navy ideology.
- Sanji is connected to them.
- An assassin from the Capone’s crew named Gotti is angry at Sanji and even Vito can’t stop him.
- A Lola look a like appears (Okami-san) and scolds Gotti for his actions. Even he can’t escape her wrath.

Scratchman Apoo fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 2, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Oh and here's Blackbeard

That is the worst Frankenfurter impression ever.

The Blackbeard is OK though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Scratchman Apoo posted:

825 spoilers from some guy. I unno.

Vito reveals the tale behind “Germa 66″
- Germa 66 were a demonic army who clashed with the marines and based on their various confrontations the Navy created famous stories regarding the “Heroes” of the Navy.
- It was an Illustrated Story published in “The World” (An International Newspaper)
- “The brave warrior of the sea who could walk on top of the sea named “Sora”, ROBOT alliance and Seagull (Kanome) duked it out with the demonic army Germa 66″
- There are fans of the story all over world!
- Essentially it was a tale that was made to brainwash the kids with the Navy ideology.
- Sanji is connected to them.
- An assassin from the Capone’s crew named Gotti is angry at Sanji and even Vito can’t stop him.
- A Lola look a like appears (Okami-san) and scolds Gotti for his actions. Even he can’t escape her wra

So they're not real assassins, just propaganda film actors? Lame.