Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I really liked the slowed down cover they used in this episode. :shrug:

Things I also liked: Grounder navy seals, Luna's kick rear end oil platform base, Pike getting a good start on his 300 (infected) cuts, Murphy stopping it even though he doesn't care about Pike.

I actually felt a tiny bit sorry for Pike. They should have done Pike flashbacks a long time ago. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I completely agree about the Pike flashbacks. It still doesn't make me quite like him yet but it did provide some context.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pike flashbacks only make sense if he's not about to die next episode.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Pike flashbacks only make sense if he's not about to die next episode.
Do you not remember Finn's spacewalk flashbacks...?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Flashback -> character death is practically a tradition at this point y'all. Also aside from humanizing Pike way too late in the game I thought that was one of the best episodes of the series.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Do you not remember Finn's spacewalk flashbacks...?

I felt like that was more for Raven's character development than his.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
These people are really awful at weighing decisions. Like Abby was able to send her daughter to the ground not knowing that she might even survive the trip down or for too long, but then given the choice of chipping herself or watching Raven die she chose to chip herself. The problem I'm having is Abby knew full well what the chip does and she knew that her being chipped would open the gateway to literally every single person she ever knew being chipped as well because she was the only one stopping it from happening. So she decides that Raven's life was worthy subjecting all of Arcadia to the same enslavement that Raven was in.

How does that even make sense at all?

And now Kane does the same thing. How much of the chip did he know about? Did he know about Alie 2.0 or where Clark is or that her plan was to find Luna and activate Alie 2.0? Because if he did then he's even worse than Abby for making the decision to save her because now he's literally ruined all of humanity once he tells Alie 1.0 where Clark is going.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

People have an aversion to dying.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Wait... so they have just arrived at the Poseidon Oil Rig... But Clarke already destroyed the Enclave in Season 2. This makes no sense!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Yeah for a group of people raised on the beliefs that floating somebody for even minor crimes they sure made a fast pivot to a group that believes every life is worth saving even if it means sacrificing themselves.

For the kids it made sense because they were prisoners marked for death and wanted to rebel against the lovely space system. But it's a hard stretch for Kane who ran the space murder show.

Also, seakru 4 lyfe, those guys are the most interesting sect of the show right now

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also I expected she would throw that FIre token into the ocean,

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I fully expect Luna to give Clark an answer that allows her to get nightblood (conversion must be possible to start the bloodline) and Clark will become the new commander.

Commander of nothing, by the way, since all of polis and beyond is enslaved by Allie

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

jfood posted:

Kane didn't care about himself dying. He took the chip because Abby was going to die. In doing so he gave Allie 1.0 all the information he had about Clark and what she was up to, which could lead to the death of humanity. All because he wanted to save Abby.

Abby did the same did too, but with Raven. Abby wasn't in danger. She wasn't going to die. But Raven was and she made the decision that Raven's life was worth subjecting all of Arcadia to Allie 1.0.

These people are stupid.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

People have an aversion to seeing people they care about die.

Or in terms you might understand: *beep boop beep beep boop*

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

jfood posted:

Or in terms you might understand: *beep boop beep beep boop*

How dare you! I think you mean *beep beep boop beep boop*

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

jfood posted:

Once again though, it makes no sense to do the blatant Jesus analogy if he's not going to stick to his convictions.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Kane didn't care about himself dying. He took the chip because Abby was going to die. In doing so he gave Allie 1.0 all the information he had about Clark and what she was up to, which could lead to the death of humanity. All because he wanted to save Abby.

He doesn't know where Clarke is though? He said as much when Abby asked him where she was and he said "I thought she was here."

Does he even know about the Flame or Alie 2.0 in general? I don't think he was around for any of that, they'd already left long before Clarke showed up to witness the Arkadia Cyber-Zombie Apocalypse.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Refusing to bend to the will of an all consuming empire, ruled from a city they believe to be the guiding light in this barbaric world... a 'blatant Jesus analogy'...

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Kane only knows about the cave they had been hiding out in before. He doesn't know (half) the kids are back in Arkadia but if ALiE had any sense she would have left a scout there precisely for that possibility. Kane doesn't know about Clarke or that she has a second AI or any of that.

It is interesting that ALIE's chips have to be freely accepted (more of that Jaha as savior offering salvation symbolism). I wonder what happens if they just force someone to take one?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

hollylolly posted:

Kane only knows about the cave they had been hiding out in before. He doesn't know (half) the kids are back in Arkadia but if ALiE had any sense she would have left a scout there precisely for that possibility. Kane doesn't know about Clarke or that she has a second AI or any of that.

It is interesting that ALIE's chips have to be freely accepted (more of that Jaha as savior offering salvation symbolism). I wonder what happens if they just force someone to take one?

Alie is probably programmed against it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Maybe it simply has an easier time wiring into the nervous system if the subject isn't hostile towards the idea of it? Something like an organ transplant, but not an involuntary reaction. Or what Xoidanor said.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

jfood posted:

Refusing to bend to the will of an all consuming empire, ruled from a city they believe to be the guiding light in this barbaric world... a 'blatant Jesus analogy'...

...yes?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Just that one time and not a thing that used to line the Appian Way. Not a rebel who refused to be a slave...

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

jfood posted:

Just that one time and not a thing that used to line the Appian Way. Not a rebel who refused to be a slave...

Come on, it shouldn't be unexpected that when people see a crucifixion they assume the Jesus analogy (I did). It's a little harder to make the jump to conclude a Third Servile War analogy and really, why can't it be both? Or neither?

Though now that I think about it, that is more appropriate to the situation.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yeah for a group of people raised on the beliefs that floating somebody for even minor crimes they sure made a fast pivot to a group that believes every life is worth saving even if it means sacrificing themselves.

For the kids it made sense because they were prisoners marked for death and wanted to rebel against the lovely space system. But it's a hard stretch for Kane who ran the space murder show.

I felt this was all addressed quite well in the second Season. Kane and others made multiple direct references to this: the fact that on the Ark they would kill anyone for any indiscretion but now they were on the ground they had to live by different laws and the 'Exodus Charter' wasn't always right. For me, Kane's arc has been on of the best and most believable on the show.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Robutt posted:

I felt this was all addressed quite well in the second Season. Kane and others made multiple direct references to this: the fact that on the Ark they would kill anyone for any indiscretion but now they were on the ground they had to live by different laws and the 'Exodus Charter' wasn't always right. For me, Kane's arc has been on of the best and most believable on the show.

Yeah. Goons are really the worst.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I fully expect Luna to give Clark an answer that allows her to get nightblood (conversion must be possible to start the bloodline) and Clark will become the new commander.

Commander of nothing, by the way, since all of polis and beyond is enslaved by Allie

Yeah this is my bet.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Robutt posted:

Though now that I think about it, that is more appropriate to the situation.

Spartacus was crucified upside down, or so they say, so it really isn't appropriate either. I think you were right when you said 'neither', as far as I can tell. I also get why it's the easy answer for people, but the writing has a real strength for subversion and I don't think there's been a point where the easy answer has ever been the correct one. I think those scenes in Polis as a whole were simply meant to convey that the symbiosis of Jahmbaliea has given up any pretext of humanity, in their attempt to make 'humanity better'. They're just so fargone in their beliefs that they fully degrade the thing they are trying to save.

Here I am, talking about the use of crucifixion imagery in a tv show made for teenage girls, I may be the worst goon ever.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Polis is the capital, but the show isn't clear what percentage of grounders live in it. We know for a fact that there are numerous grounder villages all over the place, as well as a rather populous Ice Nation to the north. None of those have been converted yet. In fact Polis itself has some troops who haven't taken the chip since they've been away on missions.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Xoidanor posted:

I liked it at a time. It was a fine song. Just not fine enough to sustain seeing play in literally all media, 500 times a day, for an entire year. Can't stand it anymore.

It's a good song that got vastly overplayed, yeah. On the other hand this gave us its single most hilarious usage that I can think of when they played it during a big dramatic TV-safe sex scene on The Arrow all the way back in season 1. I find it hard to hear the song now without thinking back to that awkward as hell placement of it and laughing a little.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

enraged_camel posted:

Polis is the capital, but the show isn't clear what percentage of grounders live in it. We know for a fact that there are numerous grounder villages all over the place, as well as a rather populous Ice Nation to the north. None of those have been converted yet. In fact Polis itself has some troops who haven't taken the chip since they've been away on missions.

Ice nation has no leadership we know of (Queen dead, Prince hunting Clark) and the highest ranking person left is the neo-commander of the grounders. All alie has to do is churn out a few thousand chips and send them over and ice nation falls.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

jfood posted:

Jahmbaliea

:golfclap: Well done.

But on your actual point, I agree - if the City of Light is all that matters then I (and seemingly Kane) fully believe that Jaha will kill Abby and anyone/everyone else. I've seen elsewhere on the internet the idea that the horrific scenes in Polis (and the episode in general) were an attempt to somewhat justify and sympathise Pike and his opinion of the grounders but I think it is much more about showing just how batshit-crazy-evil ALIE is with Jaha at her back. I really think he has influenced her more than the other way around because S2 Jaha was basically as mad but maybe I'm wrong and Jaha will "wake up" at some point. With Pike, if anything is going to finally change his mind about the grounders (even though he doesn't deserve that redemption story), it will be his teamup/jailbreak with Indra and Murphy.

While I'm really enjoying the AI versus AI direction the season seems to be heading in, perhaps the more interesting story would have been ALIE explaining and laying out her arguments for population control and artificial mind-cities. That's a debate I would have liked to see - maybe a flashback to those 3 months Jaha spent in the mansion would explore this?

enraged_camel posted:

I think we can say for almost certain that the other tribes haven't been affected yet as the ALIE-fied Arkers would have had to make really quick ground in order to beat Kane and Pike to Polis. I'm expecting Roan will come back and team up with Clarke to oppose the City of Light zombies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Personally the thing I found most ridiculous was the reveal that the show has taken place over less than 6 months. Especially since you have to take into consideration that there was that month-ish gap between 2 and 3.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Clark is already a nightblood, she just doesnt know it yet

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think it's an STD.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Personally the thing I found most ridiculous was the reveal that the show has taken place over less than 6 months. Especially since you have to take into consideration that there was that month-ish gap between 2 and 3.

Haha, yeah I forgot about that. Six months? I'd like to see the writers' timeline.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Is the new argument point pretending to be surprised that popular music is well liked?

I appreciate Pike and Kane reaching Polis in time to find their common ground, refusal to submit to a creepy brain fusion cult.

I love that even in flashbacks, Murphy is constantly suffering.

The flashbacks were good and helped characterize Pike, but also, why is this only happening now and not like 6-8 episodes ago??? Like, they could have made any amount of effort to make Pike likable before making him a baddie beyond reproach.

The little hint of Clarke-Bellamy was, uh, certainly not something that's going to soothe lexa fans.

Boatkru is cool.

hollylolly posted:

Haha, yeah I forgot about that. Six months? I'd like to see the writers' timeline.

I sort of mentally add time all over the place in this show's timeline. It's probably been 200 years since the original nuclear disaster and I'd say the show itself has taken place over about 2 years. I mean the amount of damage that people suffer on the regular in this show necessitates some down time in my opinion.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Another nice touch was how lovely Polis was, with people screaming and the streets literally running red with blood. A huge difference in comparison to the happy market scenes of earlier in the season.

And of course Pike, seeing it for the first time, assumes it's always like this. "About what I expected." :smug:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The shock of seeing Jaha walk out and be like "this was me" was pretty good though.

Although, I guess it's not like Pike ever knew Jaha to be especially kind and forgiving

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

I don't think it's an STD.

Ontari bled all over Clarke weeks ago so she probably spread the nightblood like herpes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I could see the first season not being very long but there's no way 2-3 have been over that less than 6 month period just from how much Arkadia was built up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So I've decided to rewatch the first few episodes, to see it from a new perspective, knowing what I know now about the characters. Some impressions:

--Clarke is kinda whiny. She takes charge right away though, but you can see why others would find her annoying
--Octavia is also much less grim, although like in the flashbacks, every time anyone notices her at first it's "HEY THAT'S THE GIRL THEY FOUND IN THE FLOORBOARDS!" :haw:
--Murphy, as always, prime dick
--you know a bit more about Jaha and the rules, so you can see why all these kids hate him (and Wash, by proxy)
--~~++Finn++~~ :(
--FORESHADOWING:
Octavia: "Before you get any ideas, Finn is MINE"
Clarke: "Before you get any ideas, I don't care" rofl

The "Radioactive"/'WE'RE BACK BITCHES" scene was just as dumb and jarring as I remembered. They were full of wonder, really selling the moment of how these guys felt looking at the ground for the first time, and then that takes you out. As does Octavia's gratuitous swim scene. :rolleyes: (Should have been Clarke anyway!)

--Kane is a dick. Holy poo poo is he a dick. I'm trying to see him as the good guy here, but it's hard. He was awful quick to sentence Abby to die
--Monty and Jasper were such a cute double act, before they became all emo and sad :(
--The forest was shot as beautiful here, so lush compared to the harsher world they seem to move through now. Some things, like when Clarke and Finn woke up in Avatar land, have been totally forgotten
--it's weird to see Jaha decisive and in charge and not a full of himself mystic

When I went into the show, I thought it was going to be a dumb YA thing, focused on just the kids and the Ark stuff would soon be forgotten. Of course that was wrong, and characters like Abby, Kane, and Jaha are just as much main characters so seeing it now is very different now that I know that. The Ark drama isn't so secondary.

It's been speculated here what would have happened if Pike had gone down. I suppose Bellamy's little Lord of the Flies manipulation to try and stop the adults from coming down wouldn't have happened. If Pike had herded the whole group to Mount Weather, perhaps the Grounders on scene wouldn't have attacked and they might have made it...they were quite close, and it appears the Mountain Men were watching them and knew of them. Had they walked in with an adult leader, perhaps President Wallace would have negotiated with them for blood transfusions instead of what happened.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 30, 2016

• Locked thread