Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Breaking the vampiric condition over their loving knees was what made the Ordo Dracul cool. What would a nerf look like that stopped short of 2nd Edition's crap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm not sure. I do think that removing the need for human blood was a really bad idea, though, and needed to go away. What i'd do would be replace it with something more convenient but equally monstrous.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm not sure. I do think that removing the need for human blood was a really bad idea, though, and needed to go away. What i'd do would be replace it with something more convenient but equally monstrous.

'I've rid myself of this accursed addiction to human blood!' "Fantastic! What's the catch?" 'Now I'm addicted to human bone marrow. Fancy a bit of grave robbing?'

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cabbit posted:

'I've rid myself of this accursed addiction to human blood!' "Fantastic! What's the catch?" 'Now I'm addicted to human bone marrow. Fancy a bit of grave robbing?'

Less rapey metaphor I suppose at least.

But I'd assume breaking into the condition to become a better monster. So needing less blood would probably be good.

And I've suddenly got in my mind the image of a vampire support group all meeting up and saying "Hi, my name is David and I'm a vampire" "Hi david".

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mors Rattus posted:

"I am free of the curse of human blood, mostly. I mean, apes are evolutionary relatives to humans, but ain't human. Want to go to the zoo, by the way? I really need a drink."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If you want to go traditional, maybe the Ordo could get you into breathstealing. It's a lot subtler and harder to notice that you're stealing someone's life through their breath, but just as monstrous.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"So you're into breath play"
"Oh god yes."

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Terrorforge posted:

We know that vitae is not literally blood. The vampiric body converts and condenses blood in this weird, mystical power source. Which begs the question: where does it go?

According to a popular fan theory (and V20: The Black Hand, which is surprisingly not-bad), Vitae (in the old World of Darkness) is a kind of Quintessense that becomes part of the vampire's pattern when consumed.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Mors Rattus posted:

If you want to go traditional, maybe the Ordo could get you into breathstealing. It's a lot subtler and harder to notice that you're stealing someone's life through their breath, but just as monstrous.
Unfortunately the Strix already do this

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm not sure how the Ordo discovering methods to overcome their weakness that look suspiciously like Strix powers is a bad thing.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm not sure how the Ordo discovering methods to overcome their weakness that look suspiciously like Strix powers is a bad thing.

That sounds like a fantastic device to add a ton of paranoia to the game, yeah.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I'm like 99% sure one of the early books in 1e, or maybe Night Horrors, gave rules or a bloodline for breath-stealing vampires, but yeah, "Ordo researcher digs around in some spooky tomes about the Strix and realizes a bunch of the stories sound uncannily like recent advances in the Coils" is weapons-grade plot fuel.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Daeren posted:

I'm like 99% sure one of the early books in 1e, or maybe Night Horrors, gave rules or a bloodline for breath-stealing vampires, but yeah, "Ordo researcher digs around in some spooky tomes about the Strix and realizes a bunch of the stories sound uncannily like recent advances in the Coils" is weapons-grade plot fuel.

Mythologies, actually.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So I'm looking for some advice. I'm in a VtM larp using the By Night Studios book.
What are some good Underworld Influences to take if you're trying to stat yourself out as a smuggler specializing in weapons but willing to take pretty much anything?
So far, I've got the local PD and black market arms dealers, and I'm thinking transportation workers so I can get access to different vehicles and something to do with customs for when I get things in and out from overseas.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One other thing about being a Vampire who don't want no trouble is that someone embraced you. Someone made you into what you are and depending on circumstances might find you a valuable asset to acquire. Depending on how valuable you are, they'll tempt or threaten you into the life. If not the carrot of power and pleasure, then the stick of unending paranoia and being forever disconnected.

As for the information gap after torpor and handling it, imagine an elderly person with their first computer or smartphone and asking them to look up where the nearest Apple store is without any direction on your part. Just because the info is available, it doesn't mean it's any more accessible if you don't know how to access it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

One finger on the monkey's paw closes, then another.

I just got to the point where her argument changes to "Vampires are horrible immoral parasites that are beyond redemption and must be purged from this world. Let me tell you about how Jack bauer is my favorite character" without a hint of irony.

I'm almost sad she left in a huff before she got to that little chestnut, we would have torn her apart.

Well either over that or the "I blame everyone who plays vampire for the thing my playgroup did." thing.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

the_steve posted:

So I'm looking for some advice. I'm in a VtM larp using the By Night Studios book.
What are some good Underworld Influences to take if you're trying to stat yourself out as a smuggler specializing in weapons but willing to take pretty much anything?
So far, I've got the local PD and black market arms dealers, and I'm thinking transportation workers so I can get access to different vehicles and something to do with customs for when I get things in and out from overseas.

If you're on the coast, the major port in your area should do, Union dockworkers. Railyards are much the same. Getting to your 3rd degree of influence is pretty much required to do anything interesting.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

the_steve posted:

Under the new rules, it's mostly irrelevant. The only thing your influence specialties do is allow you to take an action one higher than your Influence: Underworld rating if you can come up for a justification for how the group in question can help.

...I really, really hate BNS Influences.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

One other thing about being a Vampire who don't want no trouble is that someone embraced you. Someone made you into what you are and depending on circumstances might find you a valuable asset to acquire. Depending on how valuable you are, they'll tempt or threaten you into the life. If not the carrot of power and pleasure, then the stick of unending paranoia and being forever disconnected.

As for the information gap after torpor and handling it, imagine an elderly person with their first computer or smartphone and asking them to look up where the nearest Apple store is without any direction on your part. Just because the info is available, it doesn't mean it's any more accessible if you don't know how to access it.

True, but if they are the sort to genunielly come after you and/or decided to make your life hell they are probably going to be considered 1) Gauche as gently caress by the rest of the vamps 2) Stupid as hell for embracing someone so obviously unsuited to being part of society.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Josef bugman posted:

True, but if they are the sort to genunielly come after you and/or decided to make your life hell they are probably going to be considered 1) Gauche as gently caress by the rest of the vamps 2) Stupid as hell for embracing someone so obviously unsuited to being part of society.

Wait, where are you getting #1?

Because that's not true at all.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Picking a fight with your own childe? Yeah thats a sign of strength.

At least that is what I assumed.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, no, vampires browbeat and feud with their childer pretty often.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Picking a fight with your own childe? Yeah thats a sign of strength.

At least that is what I assumed.

Keeping childer in line is a time-honored tradition among vampires. If we're talking Requiem, perspective is going to vary a lot based on Covenant, the relative age of the sire and the child, whether or not the childe was ever officially released in some capacity, and exactly how much of a bumpkin the aforementioned childe is being. It's probably not a coincidence that none of the established Covenants take a particularly sympathetic view to running off to middle-of-nowhere Idaho to feed on cattle. If sire and childe are both unaffiliated with any of the existing political groups things get a lot more dicey. I suspect most vampires would point and laugh at the vampire with the obedience problem. If it's an insider, that sympathy is going to be a lot more based on the groups ideological mindset and the relative status of the vampire in question. The Lance may actively try to drag another vampire's childe back into the fold, possibly the same with the Carthians or the Crone. The Invictus are the most likely to build a 'sign of weakness' political case against a sire with little to no control of her childe, while the Ordo is likely to not give a single gently caress about it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Of course, all these things are simply interesting plot hooks and complications for the vampire who don't want no trouble, especially when you consider they'll be weaker than whoever's sent after them due to diet, and thus face temptation to do something unfortunate to defend themselves.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Of course, all these things are simply interesting plot hooks and complications for the vampire who don't want no trouble, especially when you consider they'll be weaker than whoever's sent after them due to diet, and thus face temptation to do something unfortunate to defend themselves.

That or getting put on a watch list because of the huge amount of flame based things they are wiring their house up with.

Lots of potential of course!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still can't believe there are people defending Beast.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 30, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still can't beleive there ar epeople defendign Beast.

According to my friend, the White Wolf forums are an echo chamber and there are people who will defend anything the dev's say, no matter what.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still can't believe there are people defending Beast.

It's not that surprising. It ticks off a bunch of super easy pathos boxes. People unjustly persecuted for their crimes while they perform a service for the good of humanity? Go Team! The fact that there are 3 five star reviews right now on DTRPG and all of them are full of typos, thin platitudes, and spend almost no time actually discussing the substance of the game beyond a high level "it sure sounds cool!" is proof of that. Most of the people defending it probably haven't actually read it.

It requires you to really dig down deep into it to find out the parts that are bad. And that's why Beast is terrible, it makes you want to like it, it makes you want to save it. There's a few cool ideas, if I can just justify this and change this then it'll be great and I can like this game again. That's why I keep saying that people need to stop trying to fix it. Let it exist as it is. Let it be an example of what not to do, don't try to excuse it or turn it into something it's not.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
You all know what's good news?

Mage: The Awakening Second Edition will be released next Wednesday, the 4th May

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Yawn. Wake me up when something good is close to release, like Mage Sec- whaaaa???

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm prepared to be hype.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
How early is too early to run a gimmicky nonstandard Seers game? I've had notes for a one-shot that I've been waiting to convert to 2e rules for months.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Is it too early to start up the next round of Magechat?

I want to run a noir game set in the Astral where the players are Mages who have to eliminate signs of the supernatural from the collective subconscious.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

A game set in Dallas during the late Autumn of 1963, where you have to conspire to ensure that a certain motorcade goes down a certain road in order to complete the sigil and sacrifice required for a bit of magic mojo to kickstart a success for another group of mages in the future.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

A game set in Dallas during the late Autumn of 1963, where you have to conspire to ensure that a certain motorcade goes down a certain road in order to complete the sigil and sacrifice required for a bit of magic mojo to kickstart a success for another group of mages in the future.

Also a strong Demon hook.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
I've been mulling over running a game heavily inspired by Tim Power's Last Call. Set in Las Vegas, it's about a mage (dunno if he'd be a Seer, Scelestus, or really hubristic Pentacle mage) who wants to call down an Abyssal intrusion called the King in the Waste and use its symbolism and power as a shield to backdoor his way through the Abyss into the Supernal Realms and Ascend. It would take a lot of cues from Vegas history and Tarot symbolism.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
You might check out DaveB's ever-popular The Man Comes Around actual play on RPGnet, it's a Mage game set in Vegas that draws on Last Call a little bit and Vegas lore a lot.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

Whoever you put on the knoll, be sure they time it to the President's murder. It's the only thing that's going to provide enough psychic noise to disguise what your really trying to do.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Kellsterik posted:

You might check out DaveB's ever-popular The Man Comes Around actual play on RPGnet, it's a Mage game set in Vegas that draws on Last Call a little bit and Vegas lore a lot.

So it's a game about being surrounded by assholes in a wasteland of the human soul with a lovely job market?

Get me out of this city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I haven't picked up the book yet, but just going off of this thread's discussion does any of the Beast influences section call out Galactus as an archetypal beast?