Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Anos posted:

Well there's that incident from the early Iraq insurgency featuring a plucky band of freedom fighters vs British marines in an elevated bunker. Also toy cars in an elaborate but ultimately futile planning stage. It's :nws: and :nms: - they show the bodies at the end of it. The plan they come up with is basically 1) Get in pickup truck. 2) Drive up in front of fortified bunkers 3) ??? 4) Victory

It also highlights how far militia camera-technology has come in such short time.

It says right there in the video description that they're US marines, not royal marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
give those shoes back

they don't even fit

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

hooah posted:

I saw a marksmanship coach literally pick up a small Marine by the collar and shake him or her on the firing line to remove hot brass. Amazing.

I once saw a reservist get some 9mm brass down the front of his shirt on the pistol range. He literally threw his gun in the air and started dancing around trying to get it out before the RSO called cease fire and threw his rear end off the range. Probably the most surreal thing I've ever seen at a gun shoot.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Subjunctive posted:

Nope, people also very often load Google, type "facebook" into the search box, search, and click the link. I forget what portion of our front-page traffic comes through that, but it was higher than I expected by a fair amount.

My coworker, a pretty apt web developer, always starts Chrome, types "www.google.com" into the omnibar and enters the term he's actually searching for into the google search box that pops up.

I don't know why.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I think this is the blog post that got 1st on google for "facebook login" or something & people thought it was the login page. Check out the comments, seems most of the pages are archived too. Unfortunately, Internet Archive didn't start archiving it until 2 days after it happened, so there were probably actual comments with login/pass that are now deleted.

quote:

Dear visitors from Google. This site is not Facebook. This is a website called ReadWriteWeb that reports on news about Facebook and other Internet services. You can however click here and become a Fan of ReadWriteWeb on Facebook, to receive our updates and learn more about the Internet. To access Facebook right now, click here. For future reference, type "facebook.com" into your browser address bar or enter "facebook" into Google and click on the first result. We recommend that you then save Facebook as a bookmark in your browser.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100212115719/http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/facebook_wants_to_be_your_one_true_login.php

Article about it:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/blog/2010/feb/11/facebook-readwriteweb

quote:

I WANT THE OLD FAFEBOOK BACK THIS poo poo IS WACK!!!!!

Posted by: Nicole Author Profile Page | February 10, 2010 9:54 AM

E: Can't believe that's 6 years ago already.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Apr 29, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oh come on you can't mention that, especially not in this thread, without noting that the translation from ancient Arabic is unclear, and it could've meant "72 raisins" as well. It even makes sense they had that as a heavenly gift, because raisins were an extremely rare treat back then.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Oh come on you can't mention that, especially not in this thread, without noting that the translation from ancient Arabic is unclear, and it could've meant "72 raisins" as well. It even makes sense they had that as a heavenly gift, because raisins were an extremely rare treat back then.
Who cares about virgins, but raisins? Sign me up!

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
http://fox4kc.com/2016/04/27/kc-fire-department-helps-brothers-in-blue-get-out-of-a-tight-spot-at-police-academy/

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I think this is the blog post that got 1st on google for "facebook login" or something & people thought it was the login page. Check out the comments, seems most of the pages are archived too. Unfortunately, Internet Archive didn't start archiving it until 2 days after it happened, so there were probably actual comments with login/pass that are now deleted.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100212115719/http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/facebook_wants_to_be_your_one_true_login.php

Article about it:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/blog/2010/feb/11/facebook-readwriteweb

E: Can't believe that's 6 years ago already.

I started a thread for this kinda thing if anyone still has more stories they wanna share.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774086

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
http://i.imgur.com/6aZ9dnL.gifv

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
gently caress that's like schrodinger's gif. I wanna know what's in the glass, but I also don't wanna know because it'll probably ruin the gif.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Anos posted:

Well there's that incident from the early Iraq insurgency featuring a plucky band of freedom fighters vs British marines in an elevated bunker. Also toy cars in an elaborate but ultimately futile planning stage. It's :nws: and :nms: - they show the bodies at the end of it. The plan they come up with is basically 1) Get in pickup truck. 2) Drive up in front of fortified bunkers 3) ??? 4) Victory

It also highlights how far militia camera-technology has come in such short time.

I remember seeing a video shortly after the 2003 invasion where this group of idiots in a converted Toyota technical tried to do a drive by of a loving tank column. The gun cam just shows the turret adjusting and the coaxial machine gun turning the truck into confetti. Wish I could still find it because I was equal parts amazed and appalled.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Carbon dioxide posted:

You wanna gently caress 72 of these guys, you go right ahead.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rick_Hunter posted:

I remember seeing a video shortly after the 2003 invasion where this group of idiots in a converted Toyota technical tried to do a drive by of a loving tank column. The gun cam just shows the turret adjusting and the coaxial machine gun turning the truck into confetti. Wish I could still find it because I was equal parts amazed and appalled.

I know we shouldn't revel in death, but I really do enjoy schadenfreude where you get back the same poo poo that you were trying to do to others.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

spog posted:

I know we shouldn't revel in death, but I really do enjoy schadenfreude where you get back the same poo poo that you were trying to do to others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj0v1V3M10g

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Goddamnit Abu Hajaar get a loving grip!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ITYM the badass thread

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Subjunctive posted:

ITYM the badass thread

It's possible. Or we could refer to the thread motto: "the schadenfreude is on us" for thinking it'd go wrong. Dude's a bonafide Evel Knievel.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Snapchat A Titty posted:

"the schadenfreude is on us"

You claw at my very soul.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

People recording mirrored videos is an even worse trend than portrait orientation phone videos.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Subjunctive posted:

You claw at my very soul.

Boom! It's on you now, the freude! lololololo *dances awa–

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

People recording mirrored videos is an even worse trend than portrait orientation phone videos.

Some streamers do it because it allows them to know how to move in the preview window. It's literally only a problem when they have super obvious text on display.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

It's a webcam you dolt

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Well if we're honoring stupid insurgents filming stupid poo poo, the Iraqi sniper who aimed for the center-mass on a soldier with body armor and then waited to see what would happen next has to rank somewhere near the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-UNFSZ8VKU

FCKGW posted:

It's a webcam you dolt

You can change whether the image is mirrored in the settings for whatever modern webcam you're using.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Well if we're honoring stupid insurgents filming stupid poo poo, the Iraqi sniper who aimed for the center-mass on a soldier with body armor and then waited to see what would happen next has to rank somewhere near the top.

Best thing about that incident is that the guy he shot spotted him, pointed him out, helped chase him down, and was actually the guy who put the zip-ties around the shooter.

Imagine that. You shoot a guy in the chest from 75 yards with a full-length rifle cartridge, you knock him down, he pops back up and runs after you and takes you prisoner. You'd think you just shot Superman.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

canyoneer posted:

I understand the bears/fox/wolf/hawk vs. dogs/cats, but how did a deer steal their vehicle?

Surprisingly simple, only needed a couple bucks

:downsrim:

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

When I watched this the first time I got this instructional thing telling me I can swipe to see more pictures, illustrated by a cat paw reaching from the bottom of the screen and doing the swipe motion.

It looked like the cat tipped the glass over.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Croisquessein posted:

When I watched this the first time I got this instructional thing telling me I can swipe to see more pictures, illustrated by a cat paw reaching from the bottom of the screen and doing the swipe motion.

It looked like the cat tipped the glass over.

That is a beautiful thought.

There's no cat, though.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Snapchat A Titty posted:

That is a beautiful thought.

There's no cat, though.

I haven't got it to happen again, guess it was just after an update. It really happened though. I swear.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Croisquessein posted:

I haven't got it to happen again, guess it was just after an update. It really happened though. I swear.

Please I want and Os where there are cats

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Please I want and Os where there are cats

It was on my phone.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Pompous Del Taco manager working the drive-thru treats customers like poo poo after they ask for sauce they never received, customers record manager's arrogant attitude.

https://vimeo.com/164426807

quote:

I don't give a gently caress, bro. Post it, go ahead. Where you gonna post it, YouTube? No one's gonna fuckin' see it.

It wasn't YouTube, but plenty of people saw it on Vimeo, and the dude was fired immediately after Del Taco found out about it. Bonus frooty for the "I am the boss, my dad's the loving owner, so good luck with that" comment like he was untouchable.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Croisquessein posted:

It was on my phone.

It's the Imgur app, I saw it the other day when I was trying to find a pic I uploaded.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Phanatic posted:

Best thing about that incident is that the guy he shot spotted him, pointed him out, helped chase him down, and was actually the guy who put the zip-ties around the shooter.

Imagine that. You shoot a guy in the chest from 75 yards with a full-length rifle cartridge, you knock him down, he pops back up and runs after you and takes you prisoner. You'd think you just shot Superman.

I'm mostly surprised at their restraint and not doing what I thought he was initially doing and blowing them away with the guns on top of the vehicle. I guess they figured they were stuck in an allahu ackbar loop and weren't much of a threat anymore.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Na'at posted:

Considering obesity doesn't require a blood test to prove I say we charge fats the same amount as smokers.

Also everyone talking about this should go smoke a dogs dick cause these derails are loving miserable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwZ10aJVvn0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc1XFLyiIzI

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy7nlA7zlDM

Whole lotta bad driving in this 11'8"

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

SpacePig posted:

Did you ever get your laptop back? Did you at least get to keep the shoes?

The laptop is on its way now and we sent the shoes back with a note basically saying :wtf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"Huh. I guess that truck doesn't hit it.... What the hell?!"