Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RoadCrewWorker posted:

and oh no! they're actually playing it wrong and actually not having fun at all unless they specifically do the thing
Yes, this is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I have fun when everyone is having fun so I try not to do any kind of hiding or whatever (and I don't summon when I'm invaded, I clear out a spot and wait), but if the poo poo has hit the fan by the time I zone in you better believe I'm playing grabass with whoever has the lowest health

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Obligatum VII posted:

I don't remember any shorts, which armor set?

the deserter pants? I believe the hollows in lothric high wall (the first area) drop them, the ones that are lightly armor but don't have helmets or shields. they're like shorts and shoes.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Your Computer posted:

I loving love fist weapons, so please do all the research possible and publish it in a research paper. :allears:

so good news and bad news

bad news is, the R1 on the caestus can be parried

good news is:

http://handbeezy.com/media/videos/360.webm

the timing is so ridiculously weird and close that it's seriously not likely to happen at all, and NPCs can't do it period. I think they actually have to start their parry before you even swing or something, a fraction of a second too soon or too late and it's CLANG

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

IronicDongz posted:

and also I wasn't really talking about it being balanced anyways when I said it was fun, I was saying that it's fun and it being kind of a chaotic mess is a big part of why it's fun

No I totally agree but none of that actually changes when a host summons. It still stays a chaotic mess, it just means that now the host has the upper hand and we have to deal with it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

For reference on the difficulty of parrying the caestus R1, I edited that out of like two hours of straight pvping, using that move almost solely on dudes with shields, and I was only parried three times. Maybe 10 or 15 fights against shield users.

I was convinced it was straight up unparryable until like an hour and a half in when it first happened

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I definitely parried a guy trying to punch me once, I don't know if it was empty-handed or with caestus.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Vermain posted:

Decided to try out FTH to see if I was correct in assuming that it sucks. Mediocre news: it sucks. On the spear Hollows in Crucixifion Woods, a direct-to-the-face Lightning Spear with both rings at 50 FTH, with a +10 Saint's Talisman, does approximately 511 damage. Sunlight Blade on my Drakeblood Greatsword does something like 540 on every light swing. Seems okay to me!

I get the feeling that the balance on miracles is intentionally skewed to encourage buffs and healing over offence, at least until you've invested a ton in FTH and lightning buffs/late game.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Invasion check list:

Red eye orb? Check
Kukris? Check
Young White Branches? Check
"I'm Sorry" carving? Check

Let's do this. :yarr:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
As for invasions, I always hate being invaded every time it happens but I love the idea that I can be invaded and one thing I didn't like about BB was that I couldnt have invasions very easily.

Like, being invaded sucks but man I love invasions

The only thing I absolutely cannot stand is being invaded by a PvP build when you are running PvE.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

argondamn posted:

I definitely parried a guy trying to punch me once, I don't know if it was empty-handed or with caestus.

Yeah I don't know if its because it hits twice but the L1, the 1-2 punch is super easy to parry, to the point where I don't even really use it anymore when I'm fighting a shield guy. The R1, which is an overhead punch or a running backhand, has super weird timing for parrying.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Welcome very then take.

Farewell ash.

I still prefer 'Bear seek seek lest'.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Tenzarin posted:

Well that pilgrim killed her. You have to kill him right away or anri gets killed. You can go marry her but you can't get the 3rd ending now. But hey go stab that sword in her face for fun.

Does that happen even if I've killed Yuria because she was about to disappear from the game and I wanted her cool armor?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I preferred [whatever the sound resting at a bonfire makes].

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

hampig posted:

Why are there headless lothric knight armors all over high wall?

I know there were a ton of bodies around the winged knight. Those guys are sworn to Gertrude who was considered a heretic and imprisoned. Winged knight weapons usually make reference to brutal executions and decapitation as their MO so it looks like somebody didn't go down quietly :keke:

My next playthrough is gonna be a mellow sightseeing lorethrough w/binoculars since these games are full of neat little stories.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

It was a 3v2 fight and they lost.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hard counter posted:

I know there were a ton of bodies around the winged knight. Those guys are sworn to Gertrude who was considered a heretic and imprisoned. Winged knight weapons usually make reference to brutal executions and decapitation as their MO so it looks like somebody didn't go down quietly :keke:

My next playthrough is gonna be a mellow sightseeing lorethrough w/binoculars since these games are full of neat little stories.

That doesn't really answer why they're empty suits of armor. Brutal executions usually leave a corpse.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Szcwczuk posted:

It was a 3v2 fight and they lost.

lmao

I automatically accept all friend invites that happen after I pvp, this poo poo rules

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As for invasions, I always hate being invaded every time it happens but I love the idea that I can be invaded and one thing I didn't like about BB was that I couldnt have invasions very easily.

Like, being invaded sucks but man I love invasions

Yeah, this is basically how I feel about it. Invasions feel like a core part of this series to me and even though sometimes I get really angry at being invaded, like I just want to get through the level, I think the game would be lesser without invasions.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao

I automatically accept all friend invites that happen after I pvp, this poo poo rules

Same I'm playing with a default assassin.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So were twinswords buffed? I always thought they were neat weapons.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Szcwczuk posted:

Same I'm playing with a default assassin.

don't feel bad about the estoc btw, I've gotten a lot more time under my belt and I've discovered that the primary reason you'll lose against an estoc spammer is if you're trying to spam yourself.

or you get back into a corner, but if that happens, you've made some pretty critical errors.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hampig posted:

No I totally agree but none of that actually changes when a host summons. It still stays a chaotic mess, it just means that now the host has the upper hand and we have to deal with it.
I think it swings it too far over in that direction. When there's not that big of a disparity I think it's a much more enjoyable level of nonsense, for both sides. heck even if it's just 1v2 or 2v3, I'm fine with that.

it'd be cool if, when someone has 2 summons, the game would first pair up invaders and then dump them in against those 3 together so it was always at least 2v3 instead of 1v3.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i went online to see if i had any invites b/c i forgot they could track your steam id and i guess i missed out on dudes wantin to poo poo talk after they kick my rear end or vice versa
at least i got this gem

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao

I really like beating dudes with the Estoc but only hitting them a single time each attack and slowly chipping away at their damage

They get beat by it thoroughly but cannot even yell about R1 spamming

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah playing the slow con rules, because that's what seems to get you hatemail. Its one thing to spam them down, it's so much better to waste everyone's time.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Fereydun posted:

i went online to see if i had any invites b/c i forgot they could track your steam id and i guess i missed out on dudes wantin to poo poo talk after they kick my rear end or vice versa
at least i got this gem

fantastic, i'm jealous

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

So were twinswords buffed? I always thought they were neat weapons.

More "rebalanced."

First, the bad news: all dual weapons had the stamina consumption on their L1s sharply increased.

The good news: all twinblades (except the Gotthard Twinswords) now do more damage on L1s. So you can't spam as much, but the L1s are actually worth using now. The Gotthards didn't get this part of the change because they frankly don't need it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Fereydun posted:

at least i got this gem

I like his steam icon

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Host, no.
What are you doing, no.

Why did you summon 3 of us around the level 10 range to help you fight the dancer?

I think the worst thing is that we actually got down half of her health before I died, so I can't see how the other 3 fared later.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

What's the ideal level for Aldrich Faithful invading? Gonna set up a new character and I want to spend a lot of time doing that for kicks.

Also, which is better for broken PvP, sorcery or miracles? Wanna focus on one of those for my new character.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

don't feel bad about the estoc btw, I've gotten a lot more time under my belt and I've discovered that the primary reason you'll lose against an estoc spammer is if you're trying to spam yourself.

or you get back into a corner, but if that happens, you've made some pretty critical errors.

The funny thing about people bitching on "ESTOC SPAMMING" is that it leaves you pathetically open to parries

Even a baby can parry an estoc spam which is why I never do more than a single hit in PvP

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Babe Magnet posted:

Just spam parrys at them it will work.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The funny thing about people bitching on "ESTOC SPAMMING" is that it leaves you pathetically open to parries

Even a baby can parry an estoc spam which is why I never do more than a single hit in PvP

it never works for me. i mash the l2 button to the best of my ability but the hits keep comin

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Speaking of "Estoc Spam", I don't hear much about the Vanilla Rapier. Is this because it is "Legit Bad", or just because stuff like the Estoc has better scaling/Better Arts for The Pro PvP Experience?

I am likely the slowest man on the planet at this game, when I'm even playing this game. But I'm considering slightly different things for possible later attempts.

Though in the end my horrible conflicting desires will probably result in a mass of confused spread out stats and 18 attune+Saint's ring on a "Non caster" again :downs:

I just like being able to use a million things at once, with my weapon slots stuffed to the brim, while playing dress up without a havel's ring. I have a problem, but at least it's a fun problem :unsmith:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Anyone got sliders to make a lady that doesn't look like she mashed her face into the abyss before becoming the ashen one?

It took me a hell of a lot of messing around to get an acceptably female face made. Part of the issue is the Feminine/Masculine slider: for whatever hosed up reason, the more you move the slider towards Feminine, the more blue tinted your face gets. It requires cranking down the Blue/Purple skin contrasts a fair bit. Regrettably, From Software still doesn't know what a black person looks like, so you're going to have to make do with either "pale white" or "California tan."

This is my "generic female" base that I then tweak depending on what sort of look I'm going for. You can find the compiled sliders for this character here. If you need help with the skin tone, let me know and I'll compile that as well.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah playing the slow con rules, because that's what seems to get you hatemail. Its one thing to spam them down, it's so much better to waste everyone's time.

I have developed a really good pvp strategy of keeping my weight below 30% and rope a doping them into that brief window when they whiff and cannot move or parry

Took about five minutes but I wore down an heavy armor tower shield guy with that strat

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Your Computer posted:

Welcome very then take.

Farewell ash.

I still prefer 'Bear seek seek lest'.

RAAK

BRAAAW

RAAK

BRA

RAAAAWWK

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

it never works for me. i mash the l2 button to the best of my ability but the hits keep comin

work on your abilities, homie

parries work too, ESPECIALLY if they're spamming, because you can actually start catching on to the timing of their rythm and it's like poetry, just slide in and get 'em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Section Z posted:

Speaking of "Estoc Spam", I don't hear much about the Vanilla Rapier. Is this because it is "Legit Bad", or just because stuff like the Estoc has better scaling/Better Arts for The Pro PvP Experience?

Vanilla Rapier is severely upended by the Ricard's Rapier late game

Estoc is unique because it has a gently caress-off hit box