Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

InequalityGodzilla posted:

What's the ideal level for Aldrich Faithful invading? Gonna set up a new character and I want to spend a lot of time doing that for kicks.

Also, which is better for broken PvP, sorcery or miracles? Wanna focus on one of those for my new character.

People were saying 60-80 for Aldrich but I was getting constant summons at 49. It was to the point that I maxed the covenant out before I reached Yorshka to join the Darkmoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Okay. So I found Saint Aldrich.

Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo.

I love this game.

I love :darksouls:

This is the moment.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No one said Mages can't fight properly

I said its fun to stab them because their build is super weak to DEX

Well you didn't but this post sure did;

Babe Magnet posted:

- Maybe learn how to fight with a weapon. Get a straight sword or something

As if the person playing with magic can't figure out how to use a weapon, even though that's significantly easier than even using magic in the first place. PvP mages are already handicapped from the start because they have to spread out their stats way more than regular builds and have to dedicate ring slots to cast speed and improving sorceries frankly pathetic base damage. I'm not gonna punish them just because they didn't also put tons and tons of points into atunement as well. Yeah its easy to just say "go a different build lol" but obviously they want to make magic work, despite its clear weakness in PvP.

I don't usually do fight clubs in general but a reasonable approach to me would be to use orange estus if they do, use blue estus if they do. Otherwise they are at a pretty big disadvantage due to the attacks they put tons of stat points into having a limited quantity.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I got one of those Xbox One Elite controllers (not full price, it was $100 open box on eBay) and it has a toggle to remap between Config 1 and 2. With Dark Souls 3 I've finally found a use for it. I set Config 2 to swap the two bumpers so that my dual wield attack is on the right bumper. Attacking with LB feels weird as gently caress. Somehow backstabbing with LB seems more natural though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Harrow posted:

Phase 2, though? Nope. Nope nope nope never gonna happen. On my very first attempt I actually got him down to about four hits left and now I can't even land four hits.

I was the same as you

Always stay circle strafing and always stay circle strafing to your right. He's going to gently caress you up until you learn his moveset and the variety of his moves. Once you recognize the patterns, you will know when its safe to heal.

NK is very much a rhythm boss

You will either take 80% of his health or not even land a hit. Its just a matter of getting into the zone.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Since so many people in this thread have complained about getting summoned for Dancer at SL15 or whatever, I've decided to make a low SL character specifically for getting summoned at the Dancer. No idea how I'm going to make that work though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

argondamn posted:

Since so many people in this thread have complained about getting summoned for Dancer at SL15 or whatever, I've decided to make a low SL character specifically for getting summoned at the Dancer. No idea how I'm going to make that work though.

Low upgrade level Warden's Twinblades with Carthus Rouge will probably do it just fine.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mazed posted:

Okay. So I found Saint Aldrich.

Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo.

I love this game.

I love :darksouls:

This is the moment.

Saint Aldrich is one of the biggest mind blown moments ever

I just wish it wasn't spoiled by the Anri quest for me

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Harrow posted:

Okay, I can get through phase 1 without getting hit now.

Phase 2, though? Nope. Nope nope nope never gonna happen. On my very first attempt I actually got him down to about four hits left and now I can't even land four hits.

Yeah... that one's... yeah. gently caress everyone who says he's easy or overhyped, just gently caress those people. Anyway circle strafe right and dodge right and up? Kind of into his arm. You should be able to dodge his basic swings easily and get a hit in, although watch out for follow ups because he's got like three with very different timings and directions.

When he zips around... I dunno it's hard to explain how to dodge. When he goes up, that's easy, just dodge towards him and he'll overshoot.

I find his second stage easier, because he'll start doing the lightning attacks that have big windups and are easy to dodge, so you can get a bunch of hits in, and maybe even stagger him for a visceral, which in turn means you get a free charged R2 as he stands.

There's the Spirit tree crest shield in Lothric Castle that has 100% phys and 83% lightning resist, so that with a thunder stone plate can be a nice safety net, but I find dodging to be better.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

argondamn posted:

sword master cosplay

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Vermain posted:

Low upgrade level Warden's Twinblades with Carthus Rouge will probably do it just fine.

Yeah that might--

ShadowMar posted:

sword master cosplay

I have to do this

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Put your sign exactly where the Sword Master's is and make your character look as close to his model as possible.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Okay I finally got everything needed to properly start my whip run.

I shall obtain a perfect victory with my perfect battle tactics with perfect grace. Perfectly. Those foolish fools don't stand a chance. :allears:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The thing that makes NK hard is that he has two distinct forms that have distinct strategies

He would be a lot easier if he were two separate bossfights, but in order to learn his Phase 2 patterns you have to beat Phase 1 every time

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The thing that makes NK hard is that he has two distinct forms that have distinct strategies

He would be a lot easier if he were two separate bossfights, but in order to learn his Phase 2 patterns you have to beat Phase 1 every time

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the boss fights where the second phase is completely different from the first. It should build off the first and change things up, not require completely different tactics due to a new set of attacks.

Which is probably why, despite being another boss with two health bars, Two Princes is one of my favorite fights whereas I hate Nameless King.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

My strategy against phase 2 NK is to whale on him until he gets staggered and then whale on him again. I don't understand that fight, he's super hard for the first 50% of his HP and then he decides to just let you hit him a bunch in order to use a move that doesn't really hurt.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

argondamn posted:

My strategy against phase 2 NK is to whale on him until he gets staggered and then whale on him again. I don't understand that fight, he's super hard for the first 50% of his HP and then he decides to just let you hit him a bunch in order to use a move that doesn't really hurt.

Phase 2 NK is very different if you are a turtle vs a hare

If you can shield him without being staggered he is babycake

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

NK is the only boss with 2 health bars i don't like and it's purely because of having to do the boring phase 1 to fight the fun as hell phase 2 every time

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

- Get an FP recovery infusion on a piece of equipment, since 1 FP is the exact same thing as 10000 FP when it comes to casting a single spell

I just tested this with pyromancy and it doesn't work. You need the full FP amount in order to cast a spell. It's only weapon skills that can just consume the rest.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It sure would of sucked if you had to fight the Throne Fuckers all over again if you messed up your fight with Nashandra.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Saint Aldrich is one of the biggest mind blown moments ever

I just wish it wasn't spoiled by the Anri quest for me

I seem to have missed the latter part of Anri thanks to the fact that the Catacombs are extremely speedrunnable and I discovered this by total accident the first time through. :v: I'm assuming that From did this on purpose given that you can not only collapse a bridge to dunk the massed legions of skellies behind you but Wolnir is very easy to beat down quickly.

NPC quests in this game are a bit obtuse.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

NK is the only boss with 2 health bars i don't like and it's purely because of having to do the boring phase 1 to fight the fun as hell phase 2 every time

My big complaint with Phase 1 is that using lock-on makes the fight dramatically more difficult and that his ease is entirely too dependent on what move the AI decides to use

If he breathes fire you can beat him in a minute

If he does the King sword swing attack it can take forever

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Well you didn't but this post sure did;

As if the person playing with magic can't figure out how to use a weapon, even though that's significantly easier than even using magic in the first place. PvP mages are already handicapped from the start because they have to spread out their stats way more than regular builds and have to dedicate ring slots to cast speed and improving sorceries frankly pathetic base damage. I'm not gonna punish them just because they didn't also put tons and tons of points into atunement as well. Yeah its easy to just say "go a different build lol" but obviously they want to make magic work, despite its clear weakness in PvP.

I don't usually do fight clubs in general but a reasonable approach to me would be to use orange estus if they do, use blue estus if they do. Otherwise they are at a pretty big disadvantage due to the attacks they put tons of stat points into having a limited quantity.

I don't feel like it's my place to care at all how hard someone has it when they're willingly going down a path they know is stacked against them. I don't expect someone to baby me because I choose to invest in caestus and garbage stats like vit.

Also I don't see how I'm the one who is to be blamed for saying mages can't fight with melee weapons when you're the one who's implying they're defenseless without their precious frosty flask. I was agreeing with you that if you've spent all of your FP and that's it, you're done, go home friends, then maybe they should learn to R1 spam better.

Cyberventurer posted:

I just tested this with pyromancy and it doesn't work. You need the full FP amount in order to cast a spell. It's only weapon skills that can just consume the rest.

really? lmao goddamn From why do you hate magic so much

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

It sure would of sucked if you had to fight the Throne Fuckers all over again if you messed up your fight with Nashandra.

It feels more like having to fight Gehrman and Moon Presence together

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

What is the new thread title about? I haven't played much in the last week or so.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

clearly the solution for magic users in pvp is for everyone to use only estocs and dark swords so pvp has even less variety.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Poise is an illusion cast by Aldrich.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Poise literally does nothing for most of the playerbase and very small amounts (if anything) for the rest. And it works just like it does in previous games (mostly) if you go into the files and change a single line of code.

ShadowMar posted:

clearly the solution for magic users in pvp is for everyone to use only estocs and dark swords so pvp has even less variety.

I can post webms and videos of me constantly getting owned by mages if I need to. Fights where not a single sip is to be had from the very beginning, even ones where I let them sip without punity and took no drink myself. I don't like to make hard-and-fast rules, its just that the fights I've been in have been hellish slogs when magic sips are involved.

I'm always willing to let my "rules" (lol) slide if it makes the fight more dyanamic or interesting, but if you're just going to cast homing soul arrow all day and sip just to keep casting it over and over in order to force me to trade just to get close and somehow figure out how to get around your Simple Parrying Shield while also avoid your magic armor, I'm going to sip when you do my friend.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 30, 2016

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Appoda posted:

What is the new thread title about? I haven't played much in the last week or so.

Guessing the fact that players have no drat poise even in heavy armor.

Lots of enemies don't either, but those that do will demonstrate why this sucks.

e. oh drat, editing the files is a real thing then? Well okay.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My big complaint with Phase 1 is that using lock-on makes the fight dramatically more difficult and that his ease is entirely too dependent on what move the AI decides to use

If he breathes fire you can beat him in a minute

If he does the King sword swing attack it can take forever

Just don't lock on. Also the spear strikes all end with a big window to slap the dragon on its head, almost all of their moves do. I agree that it's a pain to have to run the fight after you've mastered it, though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Fuligin posted:

Just don't lock on.

Duh, but you aren't going to know that your first few times

Fuligin posted:

Also the spear strikes all end with a big window to slap the dragon on its head,

The spear window is two hits max, the fire windows is six or seven

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Duh, but you aren't going to know that your first few times

The spear window is two hits max, the fire windows is six or seven

Right, but my point is that if you exploit every opening it will still be over very fast. It's just annoying you have to do it at all.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I can post webms and videos of me constantly getting owned by mages if I need to. Fights where not a single sip is to be had from the very beginning, even ones where I let them sip without punity and took no drink myself. I don't like to make hard-and-fast rules, its just that the fights I've been in have been hellish slogs when magic sips are involved.

Sips universally make every fight a slog because its too loving easy to sip

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't feel like it's my place to care at all how hard someone has it when they're willingly going down a path they know is stacked against them.

Also I don't see how I'm the one who is to be blamed for saying mages can't fight with melee weapons when you're the one who's implying they're defenseless without their precious frosty flask. I was agreeing with you that if you've spent all of your FP and that's it, you're done, go home friends, then maybe they should learn to R1 spam better.

If you're doing 1v1s you should care because then you presumably care about the fights actually being fair.

I'm not implying they are defenseless, I think going pure magic is dumb in any context, but they are at a much bigger disadvantage because all those stats they put into magic are mostly worthless once they run out of FP. And they will run out of FP because the spells worth a drat consume a ton, where as you can throw out attacks all day and it doesn't matter if they miss because stamina regens infinitely and weapon arts don't consume nearly as much.

Basically expecting a mage to not use blue flasks is dumb when dodging spells is so easy in the first place. The fair approach is to also use blue flasks, but of course you don't see it that way because your build doesn't need them. And if you don't care about the fights being fair, then don't go to a fight club in the first place.

EDIT: I mean this all just reads like you being bitter about losing to mages even though PvP sorcery is trash. Get better at punishing it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 30, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Also everything I'm posting now I'm posting under the implication that I'm not the host and therefore have more sippy than an invader, I try to avoid all estus under any circumstance when it's a fair fight because life is more interesting when you spice it up lol

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do agree 2 had the best PvP of the entire series but a lot of the weapon diversity came from DLC which DSIII doesn't have yet

Yeah true, though vanilla ds2 still had stuff like Santiers and the ease of use for magic was a big deal. The more tricks your character has up their sleeve the more fun the game becomes, but for some reason From decided to severely limit this for 3, which is a drat shame cause it's got a lot going for it otherwise.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

Poise is an illusion cast by Aldrich.

Poise increases your chance of being summoned as a blue phantom.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

Poise literally does nothing for most of the playerbase and very small amounts (if anything) for the rest. And it works just like it does in previous games (mostly) if you go into the files and change a single line of code.

I'm aware of the situation with poise, but drat, are people going online with this stuff? That's a serious advantage over other players if one can have DS1-style poise dependency while others cannot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

Yeah... that one's... yeah. gently caress everyone who says he's easy or overhyped, just gently caress those people. Anyway circle strafe right and dodge right and up? Kind of into his arm. You should be able to dodge his basic swings easily and get a hit in, although watch out for follow ups because he's got like three with very different timings and directions.

When he zips around... I dunno it's hard to explain how to dodge. When he goes up, that's easy, just dodge towards him and he'll overshoot.

I find his second stage easier, because he'll start doing the lightning attacks that have big windups and are easy to dodge, so you can get a bunch of hits in, and maybe even stagger him for a visceral, which in turn means you get a free charged R2 as he stands.

There's the Spirit tree crest shield in Lothric Castle that has 100% phys and 83% lightning resist, so that with a thunder stone plate can be a nice safety net, but I find dodging to be better.

Yeah, I just don't have the damage for this. Apparently +9 Sharp Gotthard Twinswords with 40 Dexterity is pretty astonishingly weak. I can dodge him for a while, but I just can't keep it up for the 5 straight minutes it'll take me to wear down his HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

If you're doing 1v1s you should care because then you presumably care about the fights actually being fair.

I'm not implying they are defenseless, I think going pure magic is dumb in any context, but they are at a much bigger disadvantage because all those stats they put into magic are mostly worthless once they run out of FP. And they will run out of FP because the spells worth a drat consume a ton, where as you can throw out attacks all day and it doesn't matter if they miss because stamina regens infinitely and weapon arts don't consume nearly as much.

Basically expecting a mage to not use blue flasks is dumb when dodging spells is so easy in the first place. The fair approach is to also use blue flasks, but of course you don't see it that way because your build doesn't need them. And if you don't care about the fights being fair, then don't go to a fight club in the first place.

EDIT: I mean this all just reads like you being bitter about losing to mages even though PvP sorcery is trash. Get better at punishing it.

Acting like a bunch of high powered spells are equivalent to a spear strike is not really being honest though.

Spells that cause high damage cost high FP because they cause high damage. Letting you use them near infinitely by using blue flasks isn't making the fight balanced. The fight is already balanced by severely limiting how many times you can use them.