Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DeusExMachinima posted:

OK so this has got me thinking, what's the dumbest media opinion held by a web critic that lots of people hate but you personally enjoy?

Doug not realizing Last Action Hero was a parody of action movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Spark That Bled posted:

My advice is to not use Sankaku Complex

ftfy

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DeusExMachinima posted:

OK so this has got me thinking, what's the dumbest media opinion held by a web critic that lots of people hate but you personally enjoy?

For me I'd have to go with Razorfist thinking DNF was a good game.
That cannot possibly be Razorfist's dumbest opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw-zuBA6g2Y

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Man, I was watching some old Spoony yesterday, specifically a crossover he did with Linkara about the Warrior comics... those were the good old days, huh

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
My personal favorite thing is just Movie Bob's existence in general. That dumbass book he wrote tops it but his video calling people who hate Other M the real sexists and xenophobes isn't bad either.

Edit: Also don't forget that Bob has such a pathological hatred of FPS games that he even thinks that the Prime games were dumb idiot moron games for dudebros.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 30, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Captain Rufus posted:

It's been there to some degree pretty much the second Dirty Uncle Go Nagai did some manga in the early 70s but it seems that's about ALL anime and manga wants to do now.

There's tons of awful poo poo out there, but I still think it's a mistake to use such a broad brush. Like, there are women making comics over there too. Bad poo poo's bad poo poo, but I hate to see stuff like Such and Such (Kakukaku Shikajika) dismissed by association.

e: vvv I think you could've done without the sarcasm. I mean, you're right, but it's also undeniable that a singificant portion of japanese animation has skeevy elements due to the nature of their business model (selling overpriced BDs and merch). There's also plenty that isn't like that, but it's an unfortunate influence. Since lots of animation is adapted from comics it's also present in that market, but there's also plenty of good stuff that's nearly entirely absent from animation because committees don't think that the obsessive market will buy it. Stuff for older women (josei), for instance, nearly never gets adapted.

There's good stuff in japanese cartooning, but the animation industry as well as western publishers and fans do a lot to make sure that people are only aware of the awful stuff. I don't blame people for not wanting to sift through trash to learn where and from whom to find stuff that isn't gross.

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 30, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Rufus posted:

I'm not saying you were. It's more my issues of WHY Eiken seems more hosed up than say that anime where the dude gets a corn cob up his butt in spite of technically showing less.

The whole age thing is just.... hosed in the head.

Some adult comic book characters being drawn skeevy all the time is just sad especially since this is the internet age and all. But at least they are adults so it's just eye rolling. Also kind of makes it hard to actually do anything sexy with them male or female when their usual attire seems like stripper outfits or fetish wear.

I think this is why anime gets ( rightfully ) poo poo on a lot more than western comics. It's almost always underaged characters being horribly sexualized and usually without any actual characterization or agency. Mostly just written and drawn to fit an appeal type on some near sex offender's ideal checklist. It's been there to some degree pretty much the second Dirty Uncle Go Nagai did some manga in the early 70s but it seems that's about ALL anime and manga wants to do now. Like it's not just hosed up fandoms doing whatever they do to ruin good things. The creators themselves do it from the outset.

Like yes looking back on Chris Claremont's X Men stuff there are many many eyebrow raising things. But the anime and manga go so far beyond and so loving blatant.

Maybe it's because I am older now and have always been a goody goody but.. It's hosed up and shouldn't be, ya know? :(

I agree, shows like Monster, Flying Witch, and The Eccentric Family are nothing but sex-offender spank-bait designed solely to deliver underaged titties from the animator's sketchbook to your eyes as quickly and efficiently as possible.

For reals, anime is a medium, not a genre. It's a blanket term for all Japanese animation, and saying the only thing Japanese animation as a whole wants to do now is underaged fanservice is dumb and a wee bit racist. There are quite a lot of good shows out there with nary an underaged boob in sight. You might like them.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 30, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ZeeBoi posted:

Man, I was watching some old Spoony yesterday, specifically a crossover he did with Linkara about the Warrior comics... those were the good old days, huh

I watch his old stuff from time to time and it just amazes me how earnest he was talking about cheesy games from back in the day. Again, watch one of his "Ask Spoony" video (there is only 2) where he explicitly says he doesn't want money donations cause it creates expectations and yadda yadda. How times have changed

Also since its that time of the month again on Spoonywatch: April 2016; 1 video posted to his website, Patreon hovering above the 2k mark at 2,130 USD

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Leal posted:

I watch his old stuff from time to time and it just amazes me how earnest he was talking about cheesy games from back in the day. Again, watch one of his "Ask Spoony" video (there is only 2) where he explicitly says he doesn't want money donations cause it creates expectations and yadda yadda. How times have changed

Also since its that time of the month again on Spoonywatch: April 2016; 1 video posted to his website, Patreon hovering above the 2k mark at 2,130 USD

The good news is that Kyle is about to exceed Spoony's number of backers. Kyle has 415 and Spoony has 416. Congratulations to Kyle on his good work, the goals he's met and his conscientiousness. Looks like that is being recognised. :)

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
In regards to SpoonyWatch Is that up or down? I'm assuming down, but by how much?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'm not sure but he's getting about $2,150 a month still for doing less than ever. I mean, unless you consider him complaining about Donald Trump, Wrestling and how he's not going to review a BTiLC game on NES content.

Honestly and I freely admit being probably the biggest Spoony watcher in the thread but it's just boring to keep tabs on his twitter. He's just doing literally nothing period these days.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ZeeBoi posted:

Did he migrate a lot of his old content to youtube or whatever he's using now? Every time I want to check out an old vlog or something (for the heck of it) it's still stuck on blip (also portions of his site are broke).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

MrSlam posted:

In regards to SpoonyWatch Is that up or down? I'm assuming down, but by how much?

Going off what was posted in March, down by 60 bucks and only lost 4 patrons.

Jimbot posted:

Did he migrate a lot of his old content to youtube or whatever he's using now? Every time I want to check out an old vlog or something (for the heck of it) it's still stuck on blip (also portions of his site are broke).

Yeah its kind of a safari going through the old stuff. Sometimes it'll be reuploaded, sometimes its not but the links are still left there.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jimbot posted:

He migrates basically nothing unless he's gone about 180 days without a new upload then he'll "remaster" a Reb Brown review or some poo poo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

He does streams on youtube semi-often enough, caught one the other day even.

I really wish he didn't stream on youtube though, for whatever reason I just dislike it a lot as a streaming platform.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Jimbot posted:

Nope, there's a Russian channel that has rehosted a lot of his old stuff. Only catch is you have to deal with Cyrillic subtitles.

http://www.youtube.com/TheSpoonyRUS

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I'd like to sidetrack the latest Spoony discussion by saying that Jon Bois is incredible, and this is one of the best articles on any game (hell, most anything) that I have ever read: The Death of Basketball. Seriously. His Breaking Madden series was great, but this piece on NBA 2K14 is probably the pinnacle. This is how you do proper justice to a sports game, that oh-so unfairly maligned of genres.

Also, Alli Flanagan released a new vid on Altered Beast. An awesome, funny and very talented Ozzie retro reviewer - the thread would talk about her more, but she doesn't upload all that much. Dig that See-ga pronounciation right away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC_C3hapMMw

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

BigRed0427 posted:

Speaking of which, I was thinking some more about his 24 video. THe show itself is obviously a product of its time, but is the Jack Bauer archetype itself still relevant?
I loved the show even before it got sucked into the 9/11 zeitgeist, which didn't really happen until Season 4.

Season 1 Bauer was not too much unlike a lot of 90s heroes, where you saw them occasionally stretching or breaking the rules just to show they're no nonsense guys who will do what it takes to get the job done without the Cheney/Ashcroft/Gonzales overtones.

We'll see how a the Bauer archetype works without Jack now that we're getting a Bauer-less 24 series soon.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

If we're linking to Jon Bois works, then I highly suggest going to Internet Archive and digging up the old versions of Progressive Boink. Some highlights:

****'s Blog, a post-apocalyptic story about Half-Life 2 servers
The Jumping and Standing Forum, a forum for RadioShack employee handbook models
Mike Jones, An Album Retrospective

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/726214531186352128

(this in response to someone asking about Maker's promised website of his)

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Tracula posted:

My personal favorite thing is just Movie Bob's existence in general. That dumbass book he wrote tops it but his video calling people who hate Other M the real sexists and xenophobes isn't bad either.

Edit: Also don't forget that Bob has such a pathological hatred of FPS games that he even thinks that the Prime games were dumb idiot moron games for dudebros.

I'm gonna go with this. It's actually amazing how much worse he got with time with all those stupid skits he decided he had to add to compete with other internet reviewers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If anything getting fired by the escapist made him worse. He was bad there but they enforced a time limit in his rhetoric. Now he's just completely bitter because hrs stuck on YouTube doing the occasional gig on screwattack

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Hey, uh, don't go to jesuotaku.com. It seems to have gotten snapped up by a scam/thing that steals your information maybe. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go run a few scans.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Yeah, Benzaie's old site is the same.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yeah, Benzaie's old site is the same.

Y'all can go register on Phelous.com, though. It's safe, and I promise I won't roll around naked on a pile of unhashed passwords. {shifty eye look}

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Wasn't expecting Todd's new OHW to be on something this (relatively) recent.

They see me rollin', they hatin'

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Re: the Cinema Snob "Crime of the Age" episode. Pet theory: the "movie" was shot to be a Christian VCR Interactive Game. And then either the game part fell through, or sucked, or the Christiano dudes realized they are absolutely incompetent and don't know how to make a game (or all three)-- and just released the raw footage as a "movie".

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

The good news is that Kyle is about to exceed Spoony's number of backers. Kyle has 415 and Spoony has 416. Congratulations to Kyle on his good work, the goals he's met and his conscientiousness. Looks like that is being recognised. :)

Thanks for that. I needed to read something like this.

Now, back to endless procrastinating!

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

So, Animorphs is done (and thanks for all the kind words!), so it's time to start on a new main project. I have posted my introduction to the Doctor Who Book Guide, which will be focusing on the main book lines produced between the show's cancellation in 1989 and its revival in 2005. This first video is all historical context. Trying to freshen up my style a bit, let me know if does or doesn't work for you guys.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Here's Noah Caldwell-Gervais taking a retrospective look back at several of the more notable single-player mods for the original Half-Life.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

lornekates posted:

Re: the Cinema Snob "Crime of the Age" episode. Pet theory: the "movie" was shot to be a Christian VCR Interactive Game. And then either the game part fell through, or sucked, or the Christiano dudes realized they are absolutely incompetent and don't know how to make a game (or all three)-- and just released the raw footage as a "movie".

Oh my god.

It really does feel like a lovely FMV or VCR game. It all makes so much sense now. :psyduck:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

lornekates posted:

Hmm. Interesting.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The not-Spoony Noah has a video about Half-Life 1 mods. And my god does he have an adorable as gently caress puppy :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpbFtCUqM0M

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Literally three posts above you.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'm dumb and phone posting, whoops :(

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Tracula posted:

I'm dumb and phone posting, whoops :(

First post does not mention puppies. I declare your also-post perfectly cromulent.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

poparena posted:

So, Animorphs is done (and thanks for all the kind words!), so it's time to start on a new main project. I have posted my introduction to the Doctor Who Book Guide, which will be focusing on the main book lines produced between the show's cancellation in 1989 and its revival in 2005. This first video is all historical context. Trying to freshen up my style a bit, let me know if does or doesn't work for you guys.

You are a robit and an inspiration, sir. :hfive:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 1, 2016

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

poparena posted:

I wasn't remotely interested in Animorphs because I was in my 20s for most of the 90s and had to be an adult for something at least. But this video is not only up my alley but really loving GOOD. You did a ton of homework and it shows!

Lots of people have covered these books but most have been pretty poo poo at it. Like that Tardis Euriditorium guy who kinda had his head up his own rear end. Imagine my red text there only a 100 times worse and with more fart sniffing.

I look forward to seeing these books covered better and you seem well suited to it. I've only read one or two of them that got rereleased for whatever reason in the last few years so I'm hoping to find ones to look out for whenever I buy some stuff from the UK and want to endure high shipping costs. ( Usually Warhammer, Fighting Fantasy, and retro games.)

And speaking of UK poo poo Kkall for some reason I really would love to see you do a video on Top Gear. Given their polish and gorgeous photography and editing in between 3 middle aged men behaving badly in a semi scripted manner it seems like your knowledge and education on movies might be a good way to learn why it was so well made especially in the review segments. Like that show looked better than a lot of movies in many segments. Even the challenges bits had some stunning camerawork.

And you are like THE literate films person. I have said it before that I generally feel like a stupid and uncultured boor with no education after your Oancitizen stuff.

And now that Top Gear as we know it is pretty much over because one entitled asshat decided he needed a 3 star plus meal after all the bars had closed it's probably the best time for an analysis/tribute to how amazing the show looked even if one doesn't want to get into the journalistic or humor or semi reality show bits of it. Or you know, the show lead being a douche, one of them nearly killing himself on the show, and 2 of the 3 being enablers to said douche.

Vvvv. You didn't hear about THE HAMSTER'S accident involving some rocket car contraption a couple years back!? Vvvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 1, 2016

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
When did one of them nearly kill himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Jontron! Yay! Reviewing a movie! Much yay!

There are two twists in this movie that really knocked the air out of me. Guess which ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsWlKOwqlD4

• Locked thread