Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

If you're doing 1v1s you should care because then you presumably care about the fights actually being fair.

I'm not implying they are defenseless, I think going pure magic is dumb in any context, but they are at a much bigger disadvantage because all those stats they put into magic are mostly worthless once they run out of FP. And they will run out of FP because the spells worth a drat consume a ton, where as you can throw out attacks all day and it doesn't matter if they miss because stamina regens infinitely and weapon arts don't consume nearly as much.

Basically expecting a mage to not use blue flasks is dumb when dodging spells is so easy in the first place. The fair approach is to also use blue flasks, but of course you don't see it that way because your build doesn't need them. And if you don't care about the fights being fair, then don't go to a fight club in the first place.

EDIT: I mean this all just reads like you being bitter about losing to mages even though PvP sorcery is trash. Get better at punishing it.

lmao now you're telling me to git gud

again not seeing how its my problem that you want to play a lovely build, also I do use FP, I need to as a caestus user to stand a change against a lot of weapons, primarily great weapons and magic. And since I don't invest a ton in attunement since I'm a physical damage build, I get a lot less uses than you might think I do.

also how am I the bitter one here, all I'm saying is that if you want a war of attrition than by god you'll loving get one lol

Appoda posted:

I'm aware of the situation with poise, but drat, are people going online with this stuff? That's a serious advantage over other players if one can have DS1-style poise dependency while others cannot.

Nah, no one's done it as far as I'm aware. The ban risk is too high for most people, I assume. It just CAN be done.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Acting like a bunch of high powered spells are equivalent to a spear strike is not really being honest though.

Spells that cause high damage cost high FP because they cause high damage. Letting you use them near infinitely by using blue flasks isn't making the fight balanced. The fight is already balanced by severely limiting how many times you can use them.

Its comparable to using a heavy weapon that would also deal that much damage in a single swing, and it consumes a similar amount of stamina. Why don't you punish it instead of letting them cast as much as they want?

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao now you're telling me to git gud

Yes because you're sitting here whining about how you got worn down by a magic build because you were bad at punishing it.

VVV Its possible to punish casting animations quite easily

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 30, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Internet Kraken posted:

Its comparable to using a heavy weapon that would also deal that much damage in a single swing, and it consumes a similar amount of stamina. Why don't you punish it instead of letting them cast as much as they want?

Because its almost impossible to punish drinking estus in DSIII

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't use heavy weapons, my damage is piss poor per strike. i play caestus because they're fun, not because I want to constantly win every fight. Also I do punish frost sips. I punish it with punches, and I punish it with sips of my own.

I mean this all just reads like you being bitter about losing to melee because PvP sorcery is trash. Get better at dealing with it.

e: and I really don't want to see "well if you were using a heavy weapon" because I don't, which means whoever is may have different feelings on sippies, which means we're now talking about some mysterious third party that may or may not exist lol

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Trying to imagine how I'm going to get the Chaos Blade on a <25 character.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Appoda posted:

I'm aware of the situation with poise, but drat, are people going online with this stuff? That's a serious advantage over other players if one can have DS1-style poise dependency while others cannot.

Enabling poise is probably the least of anyone's worries if they run into a hacker. At least From seems to support backing up your saves this time, if their customer support page about invalid data is true.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes because you're sitting here whining about how you got worn down by a magic build because you were bad at punishing it.

I whined about one occaision (while admitting that I've been owned a whole bunch of magic users and even offering video evidence of such ownings), but the entire reason we're having this back-and-forth is because you can't let go that someone has a different definition of fair than you do lol

argondamn posted:

What bosses do you need to beat to get it? Dancer yeah, but do you need to get past the grand archives and oceiros too? I've been making too many pvp gimmick alts, I've never been past the dancer lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

argondamn posted:

If you are on PS4 I will contribute my spare to this endeavor

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Is the Profaned Capital as small as it looks?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Acting like a bunch of high powered spells are equivalent to a spear strike is not really being honest though.

Spells that cause high damage cost high FP because they cause high damage. Letting you use them near infinitely by using blue flasks isn't making the fight balanced. The fight is already balanced by severely limiting how many times you can use them.
They don't actually cause high damage, though, and they're slow and obvious enough that people basically never get hit by them.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Idea: Make red Invaders match the amount of estus flasks the invadee has. Cops and helpers keep the reduced amounts.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't use heavy weapons, my damage is piss poor per strike. i play caestus because they're fun, not because I want to constantly win every fight. Also I do punish frost sips. I punish it with punches, and I punish it with sips of my own.

The person is probably using sorcery because they want to have fun with it too, not because its good.

quote:

I mean this all just reads like you being bitter about losing to melee because PvP sorcery is trash. Get better at dealing with it.

I don't play sorcery in PvP. I'm just aware of how hard it is to actually do and the ridiculous costs of magic, so I don't give a drat when they consume blue estus.

VVV Finding someone to help you trade it via the password system it the only way

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 30, 2016

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there anyway to get an item from one of your characters to another one of your characters? I'd really like to get the Dragonscale helm to a low-level character I have without having to play the entire game to get it.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I heard an important rumor that needs confirmation: there's a decent whip? Like that could actually be used in PvE?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Idea: Make red Invaders match the amount of estus flasks the invadee has. Cops and helpers keep the reduced amounts.

Alternate idea: make red invaders have even less flasks because red invader tears are sweet

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is there anyway to get an item from one of your characters to another one of your characters? I'd really like to get the Dragonscale helm to a low-level character I have without having to play the entire game to get it.

get a friend to pick it up on your one character and drop it for your other. make sure it's unupgraded to ensure you can actually pick it up

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

The person is probably using sorcery because they want to have fun with it too, not because its good.

I don't play sorcery in PvP. I'm just aware of how hard it is to actually do and the ridiculous costs of magic, so I don't give a drat when they consume blue estus.

I actually didn't even think you did play sorcery because of how you talk about it, I was just using your own words lol

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Viperix posted:

I heard an important rumor that needs confirmation: there's a decent whip? Like that could actually be used in PvE?

Well that could be argued but they at least have a moveset that isn't garbage and can do something resembling damage. I only just got my run going and Curse-rotted Greatwood soundly destroyed my rear end. It's going to take some getting used to because it's not a super quick weapon for not super amazing damage. The extra range is nifty though and the R2s have an arc a country mile wide.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Babe Magnet posted:

I actually didn't even think you did play sorcery because of how you talk about it, I was just using your own words lol

Well you clearly don't know anything about playing it given you thought you could cast any spell with 1 FP.

I've played sorcery in PvE a lot so I know how much mana some spells consume. I know how long their drat cast times can be, I know how thin you have to spread your stats out compared to a normal character. I know how slow and easy to dodge most spells are in a 1v1 as well. That's why I don't care if a mage uses their estus. I mean most of the time if you are properly chasing then you can get a free hit in anyways, and since they aren't getting health back from that sip its a trade that benefits you.

So crying about a mage using ashen estus just comes off as pathetic. That's the last I'm gonna say on this since I'm sure we're all sick of reading this.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 30, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Babe Magnet and Kraken either need to PvP duel or gently caress each other

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I care if they sip their blue drink. They'll get a swift whip to the face for it. Dark Souls is no place for honor or sympathy. :whip:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Not letting sorcerers blue estus in 1v1s is stupid, they have a limited range of attacks that they can pull off and each attack uses up a resource that they've probably spent levels on, just like melee so not letting them replenish that resource like in melee is unfair. It's like if you said using green blossoms or buffs were unfair.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

pure sorc in pvp sucks but also im going to loving ride or die with my garbage build pressing r1 with farron flashsword like a lovely longsword or ill DIE TRYING

i mostly die trying but you get the idea

also blue estusing is for cowards im gonna bash you to death with my staff when i inevitably run out of mp

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you are on PS4 I will contribute my spare to this endeavor

If it comes to it I'll ask the thread again, but I wanna give it a shot.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

alternatively ill run away and hope they're scared enough to let me go to my menu and equip my mlgs somehow

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So is there some trick to the Scythe Neck Swipe ability being able to land it's proper damage bonus more than like, 1/10 of the time if you pray to Jesus before every use against enemies only as tall as you?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Well you clearly don't know anything about playing it given you thought you could cast any spell with 1 FP.

I've played sorcery in PvE a lot so I know how much mana some spells consume. I know how long their drat cast times can be, I know how thin you have to spread your stats out compared to a normal character. I know how slow and easy to dodge most spells are in a 1v1 as well. That's why I don't care if a mage uses their estus. I mean most of the time if you are properly chasing then you can get a free hit in anyways, and since they aren't getting health back from that sip its a trade that benefits you.

you're right I should feel pity on the poor mages and their weapon buffs and farron darts that do more than my punches do, come out faster, stagger, hit at range, and use comparatively less FP than I use doing my weapon art, especially since they're forced to duel other people against their own will without any knowledge of how to actually manage the spells they've been using all the way to soul level 60

also, I do let mages use blue sippies, I do it all the time, because I do now how hard it could be, even if I didn't know about not being able to spell at 1 FP (because I don't like using magic in souls games). I guess I haven't said it enough but I only really go sip-for-sip when the other players M.O. is clearly draggign a fight out with a war of attrition. I'm giving them what they want lol

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Any tips on pyromancer? I'm having such troubles.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I came back to the longsword, made it +10 and why isn't everyone using this?

Also, where the gently caress is the pyromancer guy anyway? I beat this game never finding the guy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

argondamn posted:

If it comes to it I'll ask the thread again, but I wanna give it a shot.

Did you mean Uchigatana instead of Chaos Blade? Because getting the Uchi would be a lot easier than the Chaos Blade

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Section Z posted:

So is there some trick to the Scythe Neck Swipe ability being able to land it's proper damage bonus more than like, 1/10 of the time if you pray to Jesus before every use against enemies only as tall as you?

I mained it the whole game and never, ever figured out how to use the art or got it to proc.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Did you mean Uchigatana instead of Chaos Blade? Because getting the Uchi would be a lot easier than the Chaos Blade

Yeah, but he uses Chaos Blade when you summon him and I am committed.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I've been doing a lot of invading as a mad phantom in the swamp. Just had someone climb up the ladder to the Farron Keep ruins, and wait for me at the top. Only problem is, he tries attacking too soon, just as I'm coming off the ladder, and falls to his death. :mmmhmm:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah i can't get the sycthe thing to work either. Maybe it works a lot better on big enemies that hunch over at you like the gator dogs or the spiders or giants?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Fargin Icehole posted:

I came back to the longsword, made it +10 and why isn't everyone using this?

because it's loving boring as poo poo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

argondamn posted:

Yeah, but he uses Chaos Blade when you summon him and I am committed.

Ironically your best bet would be using Sword Master to cheese Dancer so you can get to Oceiros quick

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Buschmaki posted:

Not letting sorcerers blue estus in 1v1s is stupid, they have a limited range of attacks that they can pull off and each attack uses up a resource that they've probably spent levels on, just like melee so not letting them replenish that resource like in melee is unfair. It's like if you said using green blossoms or buffs were unfair.

If it's fair for you to use it, it's fair for me to punish you for doing it. You think I'm gonna just stand around like a dumbass and let you do that for free? Nah bruh you gonna work for your kill this is a duel not a practice spar. :black101:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If there is a harder boss in this series than Nameless King I can't remember it, and I've beaten them all multiple times up to now. I've never felt like I've had to execute as perfectly as this. One gently caress-up is enough to put you far enough behind that you're probably hosed in the second phase. I've identified maybe one attack he does that allows enough time to heal afterwards with any consistently.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Babe Magnet posted:

you're right I should feel pity on the poor mages and their weapon buffs and farron darts that do more than my punches do, come out faster, stagger, hit at range, and use comparatively less FP than I use doing my weapon art, especially since they're forced to duel other people against their own will without any knowledge of how to actually manage the spells they've been using all the way to soul level 60

also, I do let mages use blue sippies, I do it all the time, because I do now how hard it could be, even if I didn't know about not being able to spell at 1 FP (because I don't like using magic in souls games). I guess I haven't said it enough but I only really go sip-for-sip when the other players M.O. is clearly draggign a fight out with a war of attrition. I'm giving them what they want lol

Can't you use weapon arts even when you're out of FP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fuligin posted:

I mained it the whole game and never, ever figured out how to use the art or got it to proc.

I've gotten it to proc a few desperate times testing. My assumption is it is going "gently caress you unless you literally nail a perfect headshot with the point", otherwise you get an attack slower than a charged heavy that is every so slightly stronger than a normal heavy :v: