Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Against modern warships knocking out radars, cutting wave guides and setting fires in the superstructure, etc is a pretty effective way of damaging their combat capability- anti-ship missiles are pretty bad at sinking ships, but great at making them combat ineffective.

Standard is, after all, a 3,000+ lb rocket-propelled Mach 3.5 lawn dart with a 140lb blast-frag warhead on then end of it. It's going to do some damage to whatever it hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I watched Valkyrie since I always had some mild interest in it and it's about to go off amazon prime so watch it while you still have mild interest; it's decent! The scene where Col. Stauffenberg's Berlin residence is being bombed by the allies had me curious about something: did wealthy Germans in metro areas move to the countryside during the worst years of the bombing campaigns? How about wealthy/prominent families of Nazis or would that have been a stigma among your colleagues and the party? I know Valkyrie takes some, uh, loose liberties but Stauffenberg was from the traditional German upper crust and a colonel so I assume this uncomfortable situation came up occasionally?

Also, this isn't really milhist (or maybe it is!) but I don't really know a better history thread for it. My hockey-obsessed friend asked me why the hockey-obsessed European countries seem so random and I couldn't really give him a good answer. Slovakia routinely over represents the Czech Republic and Poland in hockey things despite vast population differences. Thought maybe it was some Soviet related thing but then there's Scandinavia (obviously the sport makes more sense for their climate) and the inconsistency of hockey's popularity even among closer satellites and I just don't know enough about hockey in Eastern Europe so maybe you guys do! The best I could offer up to him was that sports' popularity often depends on culture and the whims of history: Japan's early exposure to baseball when U Chicago visited early in the 20th and then the mixed metaphor knockout punch of occupation, for instance.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pontius Pilate posted:

I watched Valkyrie since I always had some mild interest in it and it's about to go off amazon prime so watch it while you still have mild interest; it's decent! The scene where Col. Stauffenberg's Berlin residence is being bombed by the allies had me curious about something: did wealthy Germans in metro areas move to the countryside during the worst years of the bombing campaigns? How about wealthy/prominent families of Nazis or would that have been a stigma among your colleagues and the party? I know Valkyrie takes some, uh, loose liberties but Stauffenberg was from the traditional German upper crust and a colonel so I assume this uncomfortable situation came up occasionally?

A lot of the German officers (including von Stauffenberg) were Prussian nobility of some kind, and so would have houses or estates out East. This was a rather big deal when things started turning south on the Eastern front, since it was the army officers whose homes were going to be on the front line when the Soviets came marching through East Prussia.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Why was this a big deal? If the USSR would be coming through Prussia, Germany's hosed anyway, doesn't matter where your estates are.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

House Louse posted:

Why was this a big deal? If the USSR would be coming through Prussia, Germany's hosed anyway, doesn't matter where your estates are.

It was a bigger concern to the junkers in 1914 with Russians marching towards East Prussia at the start of WW1 than in 1944/45 when the poo poo had already hit the fan in WW2.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

House Louse posted:

Bear in mind Germany was a lot bigger back then - historical Prussia-the-region was actually mostly in modern Poland. Having the Soviet Union in it isn't the same as 'the Reds are right outside Berlin' or anything.

(though, yes, those junker estates were thus presumably in interwar Poland in any case...I wonder if they seized any of them back in 1939).

Edit: actually, no. West Prussia was given to Poland at Versailles but East Prussia remained German, just kinda surrounded by Poland. The same weird setup as Kaliningrad today.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 29, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I am very confused right now. What is the alternative to a VLS for a submarine? I thought those systems were the default. I do not know poo poo about subs though. Please tell us more!

oh, someone explained it before I made this post. Thanks, dude.

The missiles were stored in those bulges on the right side. They had to be dragged out and made ready to launch with the help of the crew while surfaced.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

House Louse posted:

I guess various people still believed that there could be a negotiated settlement, even up to the very late stages of the war.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

chitoryu12 posted:

The missiles were stored in those bulges on the right side. They had to be dragged out and made ready to launch with the help of the crew while surfaced.

Moreover, the missile had to be guided all the way to the target, which either required a mothership aircraft in the area, or the launching submarine would need to stay at or above periscope depth until impact.

In response to the question you were answering, submarines can mostly fire the same weapons that they carry in their VLS tubes via their normal torpedo tubes, but as an example, all US SSNs other than the three Seawolf boats all have just four torpedo tubes, which drastically limits the type of cruise missile strike you can accomplish. With a VLS-equipped 688 as an example, you now have sixteen tubes available for an essentially simultaneous launch.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 29, 2016

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

feedmegin posted:

Bear in mind Germany was a lot bigger back then - historical Prussia-the-region was actually mostly in modern Poland. Having the Soviet Union in it isn't the same as 'the Reds are right outside Berlin' or anything.

(though, yes, those junker estates were thus presumably in interwar Poland in any case...I wonder if they seized any of them back in 1939).

Edit: actually, no. West Prussia was given to Poland at Versailles but East Prussia remained German, just kinda surrounded by Poland. The same weird setup as Kaliningrad today.

Keep in mind that the word Prussia can refer to several different areas:

East Prussia, aka ducal Prussia, now Kaliningrad was the lands of the Teutonic Order which the Elector of Brandenburg inherited 500-ish years ago.

After inheriting the land, he assumed the title of King in Prussia, which led to the entirety of the country being known as Brandenburg-Prussia and eventually just Prussia

West Prussia, aka royal Prussia, now part of Poland was land obtained by Brandenburg-Prussia in the first partition of Poland.

After German unification, Prussia (meaning the entirety of Brandenburg-Prussia) remained a mostly autonomous territory, and everyone from there could be referred to as Prussian.

So it's very important to be clear on which sense you're using, especially because a Westphalian from the western portion of Germany might be called a Prussian due to living in the Kingdom of Prussia before unification despite never having traveled east of Berlin.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

blackmongoose posted:

East Prussia, aka ducal Prussia, now Kaliningrad was the lands of the Teutonic Order which the Elector of Brandenburg inherited 500-ish years ago.

After inheriting the land, he assumed the title of King in Prussia, which led to the entirety of the country being known as Brandenburg-Prussia and eventually just Prussia

West Prussia, aka royal Prussia, now part of Poland was land obtained by Brandenburg-Prussia in the first partition of Poland.

After German unification, Prussia (meaning the entirety of Brandenburg-Prussia) remained a mostly autonomous territory, and everyone from there could be referred to as Prussian.

So it's very important to be clear on which sense you're using, especially because a Westphalian from the western portion of Germany might be called a Prussian due to living in the Kingdom of Prussia before unification despite never having traveled east of Berlin.

During the Weimar Government the Prussian state government was basically the last SPD bastion to go when Germany became much more authoritarian in 1930. When Papen overthrew the Prussian government it was probably the last chance for a non-authoritarian Germany going into the 30s.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

IIRC, All models of the Standard missile have the ability to be used as SSMs.

SM-2's surface to surface capability is pretty poor across all variants, particularly against navalized targets. SM-6 though is absolutely nasty versus surface targets...I was really surprised when they made that capability public a few weeks ago. The range and EMS capabilities on it are unbelievable, so much so I kind of suspect it was designed first as a S2S system.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bewbies posted:

SM-2's surface to surface capability is pretty poor across all variants, particularly against navalized targets. SM-6 though is absolutely nasty versus surface targets...I was really surprised when they made that capability public a few weeks ago. The range and EMS capabilities on it are unbelievable, so much so I kind of suspect it was designed first as a S2S system.

Didn't a Navy ship screw up and kill a Turkish destroyer with SM-2 some years back?

FakeEdit: Oh, that was Sea Sparrow.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

blackmongoose posted:

The Hohenzollerns didn't get ducal Prussia until 1657

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Has the US Navy de-emphasized anti-ship missiles in recent years? If so, what is their thinking?

Someone was talking about this in a CMANO stream or something.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

pthighs posted:

Has the US Navy de-emphasized anti-ship missiles in recent years? If so, what is their thinking?

I don't think you can really de-emphasize something you never had a real emphasis on in the first place. What did we have? Harpoon, which is a subsonic seaskimmer and has been around for decades, and TASM, which pretty much was a failure as a working anti-ship missile and was withdrawn from service decades ago. We never bothered to develop the big supersonic ship-killers like the Soviets did, because we have carriers and subs. LRASM's under development as a Harpoon replacement, and there's the aforementioned SM-6 with a credible anti-ship role.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Early missile submarines prior to introduction of VLS shared also one characteristic - they were all terminally ugly.

(Soviet Whiskey Long Bin)

Phanatic posted:

Didn't a Navy ship screw up and kill a Turkish destroyer with SM-2 some years back?

Cruiser Wainwright sunk an Iranian corvette with a SM2 salvo in Praying Mantis in the eighties.

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 29, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The Hohenzollerns didn't get ducal Prussia until 1657

The Hohenzollerns acquired Ducal Prussia after the secularization of the Teutonic Order's Prussian lands in 1525 (Albert having been ruling it as Grandmaster since 1510). It was acquired by the Brandenburg Hohenzollerns in 1618, but it remained a Polish fief. Sovereign control was passed to the Hohenzollerns in 1657.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 29, 2016

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Can someone well versed in post American Civil War Indian battles explain how the Wounded Knee massacre produced twenty medals of honor? I was looking it up and I find that fact shocking. The whole of the battle for Iwo Jima only produced twenty-seven medals of honor.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Trast posted:

Can someone well versed in post American Civil War Indian battles explain how the Wounded Knee massacre produced twenty medals of honor? I was looking it up and I find that fact shocking. The whole of the battle for Iwo Jima only produced twenty-seven medals of honor.

because the criteria changed significantly in the interim.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trast posted:

The Medal of Honor was pretty much the only medal that could be awarded to U.S. military personnel during the 19th century, so it's what everybody got for anything someone decided was worthy of a medal.

Also racism.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

because the criteria changed significantly in the interim.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The Medal of Honor was pretty much the only medal that could be awarded to U.S. military personnel during the 19th century, so it's what everybody got for anything someone decided was worthy of a medal.

I suppose that makes more sense.

And that makes a lot of sense.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
For a second I was thinking Turbo Assembler :stare:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Phanatic posted:

We never bothered to develop the big supersonic ship-killers like the Soviets did, because we have carriers and subs.

I think you'll find that carriers are now obselete thanks to Chinese ballistic missiles against which there is no defence. I know this because the War Nerd said so :smug:

On a serious note, isn't the main US carrier bourne anti-shipping armament also Harpoons? I can't imagine you are sending in Super Bugs to drop GBU-12s on top of hostile warships.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

Trast posted:

The Medal of Honor didn't start out as an ultra-exclusive award. It was pretty much the opposite, in fact - there were 1,500 given during the Civil War. In one case, there was a regiment where every man who reenlisted got one. I'm not sure why the criteria got changed. Usually awards go the other way, starting exclusive and getting less and less so. IIRC, the Iron Cross went that way, very dramatically.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Because the Medal of Honor used to be the only award there was, besides the Purple Heart.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

On a serious note, isn't the main US carrier bourne anti-shipping armament also Harpoons? I can't imagine you are sending in Super Bugs to drop GBU-12s on top of hostile warships.

Praying Mantis had A-6s dropping cluster bombs and GBUs and firing Harpoons at Iranian ships. For a seriously defended target I'd expect the munition of choice to be a Mk-48.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

It's the 23rd of April. Marching 250 miles through Tanzania in the rainy season is a bad idea, you say? Colour me unsurprised, but it's true! The Grand Fleet heads home, starts refuelling, puts the kettle on, and opens the newspaper...only to discover a quarter of the way through that the Germans really are coming out to play this time. In Egypt, an Ottoman recon-by-fire exercise in front of the Suez Canal comes to an end. E.S. Thompson continues trying to drive a car through the said rainy season; Sergeant Flora Sandes goes to Salonika, but sans dog (and then conveniently goes on leave for a couple of months); Malcolm White and Clifford Wells both have Easter church parade; and Maximilian Mugge gets into the spirit of things by complaining at great length about his NCOs. If the sergeant drinks yer rum, never mind...

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

If that's the missile I'm thinking of, it's also the same type of missile that the USS Barbero used to deliver mail:

(Barbero even had its own its own Post Office too).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Danann posted:

If that's the missile I'm thinking of, it's also the same type of missile that the USS Barbero used to deliver mail:

You're correct, the Barbero and Greyback-class used Regulus missiles. They tried creating a Regulus II that used inertial guidance instead of needing constant radio guidance to the target, but they cost $1 million each (about $8.2 million each in modern money) and vertical launch made them obsolete so only one was ever test fired before the project got canned. I think they were also so much larger than the original Regulus that the Greyback-class could only carry two instead of four.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Danann posted:

They used a missile to deliver mail? What? Why?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Only way to capture the Death Note

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Thanqol posted:

Why not?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The US mail was involved in a lot of weird technological forays in the 20th century. Some of the earliest commercial flights in the US were single engine biplanes carrying mail bags.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Did US mail pick up some ex-nazi postal officials or something? They dipped into weird projects as well.

wiki wiki wild wild pedia posted:

The RPM supported independent research, such as nuclear physics, high-frequency technology, isotope separation, electron microscopy, and communications technology at the private research laboratory Forschungslaboratoriums für Elektronenphysik of Manfred von Ardenne, in Berlin-Lichterfelde. In 1940, the RPM began construction of a cyclotron for von Ardenne; it was completed in 1945.[4][5]

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Thanqol posted:

It was like the Amazon delivery drones of the time, but actually cool.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It makes sense in a kind of way. The US mail could have evolved into something like the german Bundespost, which governed not just mail but also telephone connections and other stuff. It seems like in the early 20th century they were definitely trying to be.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Phanatic posted:

For a seriously defended target I'd expect the munition of choice to be a Mk-48.

This. I'm fairly sure carriers nowadays are more for projecting power inland when the Marines haven't taken an airfield for the USAF to use. A carrier group's antiship weapon is a 688 boat.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'd enjoy an alternate America where all packages and letters are delivered by missile somewhere into people's front lawn.

Man at a desk in a suburban home office: "Yes, I love missile mail, if I just pay $8.99 more at checkout all my packages are delivered..." *BANG*, he flinches, covers his head, collects himself, dust falls from the ceiling, "Only minutes after I place an order!"

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Also you can only cancel your order up until some arbitrary point in the midcourse phase

• Locked thread