Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The franchise lost two directors for the exact same reason in a short period of time and the movie designed to launch this franchise indisputably under-performed both critically and financially. I don't see how this is so far fetched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TFRazorsaw posted:

The franchise lost two directors for the exact same reason in a short period of time and the movie designed to launch this franchise indisputably under-performed both critically and financially. I don't see how this is so far fetched.

Because

Snowman_McK posted:

"Rumour: WB about to get rid of Snyder"

"Wait, no, they add two more movies to the slate"

"Rumour: seriously, we're right this time"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Any of those movies that "suddenly" got greenlighted were likely in the process of being greenlit before BVS even premiered, and likely didn't reflect any current decisions whatsoever, though.

I mean, you just don't DECIDE to greenlight a film and then announce it. This stuff takes a while.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TFRazorsaw posted:

Any of those movies that "suddenly" got greenlighted were likely in the process of being greenlit before BVS even premiered, and likely didn't reflect any current decisions whatsoever, though.

I mean, you just don't DECIDE to greenlight a film and then announce it. This stuff takes a while.

Tons of sequels are only greenlit after seeing of the original film's performance.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Honestly, if I were a WB exec, I'd be screaming at Snyder and the other directors to dumb poo poo down and add more quips since I'd have a responsibility to my company to maximize short term return on investment.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yes, but they don't come out of the board room and do immediately, do they? It feels like it would be something that had to take a few weeks, and not something they could have rubber stamped in the scant amount of time between BVS's premiere and when they told the press.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I didn't say it was a response. But when the rumour said "They're about to get rid of him and they're all panicking and the entire shared universe is falling apart." And then the actual news was "Snyder begins shooting next film" alongside "Two more films are to be shot" it's okay to be skeptical about their ability to sift rumours. It's why your suggestion that it needs to be spun is kind of strange. The only real response is "They've yet to get anything right."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If they get rid of James Wan on Aquaman I'll be very sad.

:smith:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

I didn't say it was a response. But when the rumour said "They're about to get rid of him and they're all panicking and the entire shared universe is falling apart." And then the actual news was "Snyder begins shooting next film" alongside "Two more films are to be shot" it's okay to be skeptical about their ability to sift rumours. It's why your suggestion that it needs to be spun is kind of strange. The only real response is "They've yet to get anything right."

Those other things could easily be things they're obligated to do/are stuck with, is all I'm saying. The behind the scenes turmoil isn't necessarily discounted.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm just saying, if ever there was a case for "Boy who cried Wolf" it's comic book movie sites and the DC movie universe.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How about we wait and see if it actually happens, instead of being a rumor that seems to come the gently caress out of nowhere.

Remember that rumor/lie that Suicide Squad was doing massive reshoots to 'add jokes'?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
People like sharing unsubstantiated rumors that fit their weird comic book movie studio tribalism, possibly the saddest thing
Speaking of which I just heard from a guy that Kevin Fiege likes to poop his pants and likes the smell
Keep in mind this is currently JUST a rumor until it is confirmed or not
Comments please

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Those other things could easily be things they're obligated to do/are stuck with, is all I'm saying. The behind the scenes turmoil isn't necessarily discounted.

In both cases, there was news concerning the same topic as the rumour (the DCU in general, and Suicide Squad reshoots) and the rumour was wildly off base.

The kindest thing you can say about the rumour mill at this point is that it seems to be on point in knowing what they should be posting about, even if what they're posting is completely wrong.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I guess you're right. It's just not too difficult to believe that this is potentially going on when they've already had one financial cinematic embarrassment and driven off two creators for the same reason. I mean, that's quantifiable, and it's not fanboy mudslinging to say it isn't good. It's flat out bad, is what it is.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I guess you're right. It's just not too difficult to believe that this is potentially going on when they've already had one financial cinematic embarrassment and driven off two creators for the same reason.

Nobody has been able to prove that BvS was even a slight flop let alone a "financial embarrassment" and Marvel has chased away three directors for the same reason at this point, one of them being Edgar "loving" Wright.

Four if you count Whedon.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 30, 2016

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

one financial cinematic embarrassment

850 million dollars worth of embarrassment. They sure have egg on their face. It's only by some pretty weird standards that that's an embarrassment. To put that amount in perspective, Thor and Captain America 1, the two movies that lead into the Avengers, didn't make that much between them.

quote:

driven off two creators for the same reason.
Was it the same reason in both previous cases? I remember McClaren had the whole 'artistic differences' thing.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 30, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

850 million dollars worth of embarrassment. They sure have egg on their face. It's only by some pretty weird standards that that's an embarrassment.

For what it's supposed to be, yes, it is. ASM's franchise potential was shitcanned for the exact same thing.

It's also a huge flop in China, which is a huge black mark in this day and age, and it doesn't have a low budget and being a B-lister named Deadpool to make up for it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TFRazorsaw posted:

For what it's supposed to be, yes, it is. ASM's franchise potential was shitcanned for the exact same thing.

The indications are that was because of (lack of) merchandising rights.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's also a huge flop in China, which is a huge black mark in this day and age, and it doesn't have a low budget and being a B-lister named Deadpool to make up for it.

What the gently caress is it "supposed" to be?

And there's no way in hell Deadpool is a "b-lister" unless you're actively delusional.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

computer parts posted:

The indications are that was because of (lack of) merchandising rights.

And also spiraling production costs, and also that trying to build a cinematic universe around Spiderman was a dumb idea anyway.

TFRazorsaw posted:

If it's supposed to be something that leads into a team up movie, it's done better business that the two lead ups to the Avengers put together, and has a lower combined budget, and didn't have to be marketed twice.

ASM was a different film setting up a different cinematic universe with a very different rights situation by a different studio for a different character. It's a clumsy fit at best.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This was a movie starring the two most popular superheroes of all time, coming after the big superhero movie boom that was already created for it, and not during the LEAD UP to said boom like the Phase 1 movies. It should have done better than it did. Far better. I don't know how this is even up for argument.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

This was a movie starring the two most popular superheroes of all time, coming after the big superhero movie boom that was already created for it, and not during the LEAD UP to said boom like the Phase 1 movies. It should have done better than it did. Far better. I don't know how this is even up for argument.

There's a difference between "It could have done better" and "it's an embarassment and they're going to rethink their multi year, multi film plan"

You initially asserted the second, not the first, and that's what people are arguing with.

There's also an assumption that DC is purely banking on those huge numbers and that's their only objective. The fact that they're giving a divisive director with a very distinctive style who hasn't had an unqualified hit since 2006 free reign with 250 million dollars suggests that they're thinking about a few things differently to Marvel.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't see how that's NOT an embarassment when it's bloody Batman and Superman, two characters who should print money just on name alone, but. I dunno what else to say.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't see how that's NOT an embarassment when it's bloody Batman and Superman, two characters who should print money just on name alone, but. I dunno what else to say.

They did print money though.

Like this is literally the strawman people erect when they talk about Hollywood's inflated perception of blockbusters.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

850 million dollars. That is printing money. That other films have managed to make more doesn't make it not a lot of money. To put that amount in a different perspective, each character generates half that in merchandise sales every year, regardless of whether there's a film out.
The film generated double that in a month. It's a ridiculous amount of money. It's like saying a man who is 6'5 should be embarassed about his height because Shaq exists or something.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

TFRazorsaw posted:

You do realize that most people don't actually give a poo poo about Superman and aren't comic book reading nerds, right?

Marvel's films are raking in cash like big dumb effects-driven summer blockbusters because they are big dumb effects-driven summer blockbusters that have also tapped into the addictive consumer demand for serialized content, not because the broader moviegoing audience gives a poo poo about the personal stories of Bow Guy, Ninja Lady, and Green Dude.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wheeee posted:

You do realize that most people don't actually give a poo poo about Superman and aren't comic book reading nerds, right?

Marvel's films are raking in cash like big dumb effects-driven summer blockbusters because they are big dumb effects-driven summer blockbusters that have also tapped into the addictive consumer demand for serialized content, not because the broader moviegoing audience gives a poo poo about the personal stories of Bow Guy, Ninja Lady, and Green Dude.

As evidenced by the fact that the two biggest grossing movies in the series are the one that's the worst shot and the one that's the most incoherent.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

Prior to sixteen years ago, the guy was a household name. His fading from the public consciousness is entirely due to DC's mismanagement of the brand. Batman doesn't have that excuse, and this movie compares SIGNIFICANTLY unfavorably, financially, to both movies starring him that preceded this. That's not insignificant. It has less and less to do with comic books, either. Batman has been a merchandising juggernaut since the 90's. He has the mindshare, and that didn't pull as much people into the brand as it should.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Maybe it's backlash since a lot of people hated Dark Knight Rises.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

TFRazorsaw posted:

Prior to sixteen years ago, the guy was a household name. His fading from the public consciousness is entirely due to DC's mismanagement of the brand. Batman doesn't have that excuse, and this movie compares SIGNIFICANTLY unfavorably, financially, to both movies starring him that preceded this. That's not insignificant. It has less and less to do with comic books, either. Batman has been a merchandising juggernaut since the 90's. He has the mindshare, and that didn't pull as much people into the brand as it should.

Just because you desperately want something to be so, doesn't actually make it so.

You are the most annoying sort of fanboy.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Batman doesn't have that excuse, and this movie compares SIGNIFICANTLY unfavorably, financially, to both movies starring him that preceded this.
But signficantly favorably to the six that preceded those.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Look at that underperforming piece of poo poo only coming in at number three and having the highest opening weekend of all of them, what a loving failure.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I really hate quoting myself but

Snowman_McK posted:

It's like saying a man who is 6'5 should be embarassed about his height because Shaq exists or something.

The Dark Knight and the Dark Knight Rises were ridiculous, unqualified successes. Doing 15 percent worse than something as insanely successful as The Dark Knight is not an embarassment in this or any other universe.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
more important than all this dickwaving about bvs' profitability: it is a cool, and good, film

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ungulateman posted:

more important than all this dickwaving about bvs' profitability: it is a cool, and good, film

Honestly, the scenes with the Batmobile and Batman vs PMCs round 2 were worth the price of admission on their own, to me.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Eisenberg was the best movie Lex yet as well.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Lex's little mini-freakout of "I DON'T KNOW!" when Superman glows his eyes at him is my favorite tiny moment in the movie. It's exceedingly well done acting.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TFRazorsaw posted:

This (and several of your previous posts) reads like the punchman movie equivalent of Putin's hired-goon internet propaganda. Please have some perspective.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

People accuse me of resorting to a strawman, when you're comparing other people to the tools used by a fascistic, oppressive warmongering douche-bag? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Lex's little mini-freakout of "I DON'T KNOW!" when Superman glows his eyes at him is my favorite tiny moment in the movie. It's exceedingly well done acting.

Also, when he stumbles over his words at the library. Eisenberg is a loving treasure. It's crazy to think that, just a few years ago, he was off brand Michael Cera. Now, that's Michael Cera.

TFRazorsaw posted:

People accuse me of resorting to a strawman, when you're comparing other people to the tools used by a fascistic, oppressive douche-bag? Really?

Well, if they were, they're not using a strawman, since Putin, Russia, and propaganda all exist.

• Locked thread