Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Guardian loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Hammer Dragonhunter is a solid choice for a DPS slot in raids, not quite as much damage as a Tempest or Daredevil but you put out a ton of Protection on anyone near what you're hitting, while also having CC for breakbars. Projectile defense is also important for Slothasor and Matthias, and you can tank Vale Guardian pretty well just by tossing on some toughness gear and Altruistic Healing.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Pesterchum posted:

Speaking of Guardian, how is it shaping up for things like raids? Thinking about using the 80 token on it but I can't go anywhere for accurate information on how things actually perform because the official forums is just nonstop pissing and moaning about how every class is garbage. I'm sure it's viable, but still.

Raid DH is great for all the reasons Gamin said

It also doesn't hurt that the "rotation" for DH is more or less "keep your traps on cooldown and smash 1 as fast as you can." DH Hammer autoattack hits real hard, and puts out good amounts of Protection. It means you can focus a lot on whats going on around you and not tunnel vision on having a perfect rotation, because autoattacking endlessly is like 90% of the way to a perfect rotation.

Lonk posted:

People un-ironically play druid?

Hell yes I do. Healing raids is super fun and raiding grade healing gear is dirt cheap. Run the full Magi's dual-staff quickdraw build, it's fun and has ridiculously good heals. You can get a set of full Exotic Magi's gear (including trinkets) for like 17g and 240k karma. The hardest part, by far, of good healing gear is Runes - Druid Runes are really expensive, Monk Runes are really annoying to get, but you can get away with budget options like Flock or Dwayna runes and it won't matter because full Magi's gives you so much healing power that your Celestial Avatar 3 heals for like 7k, and if you have Glyph of Linking up you can heal your entire raid with it and just casually drop 70k HP of healing with one ability.

Healing Druid is awesome.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Magres posted:

It also doesn't hurt that the "rotation" for DH is more or less "keep your traps on cooldown and smash 1 as fast as you can." DH Hammer autoattack hits real hard, and puts out good amounts of Protection. It means you can focus a lot on whats going on around you and not tunnel vision on having a perfect rotation, because autoattacking endlessly is like 90% of the way to a perfect rotation.

Well that sounds like exactly my speed, thanks guys. I'll farm up some more stuff to gear it and then boost one up.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Magres posted:

Hell yes I do. Healing raids is super fun and raiding grade healing gear is dirt cheap. Run the full Magi's dual-staff quickdraw build, it's fun and has ridiculously good heals. You can get a set of full Exotic Magi's gear (including trinkets) for like 17g and 240k karma. The hardest part, by far, of good healing gear is Runes - Druid Runes are really expensive, Monk Runes are really annoying to get, but you can get away with budget options like Flock or Dwayna runes and it won't matter because full Magi's gives you so much healing power that your Celestial Avatar 3 heals for like 7k, and if you have Glyph of Linking up you can heal your entire raid with it and just casually drop 70k HP of healing with one ability.

Healing Druid is awesome.

Noice. Bonus on cheap gear.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This is entirely my fault, but holy poo poo the official forums are horrid. Judging by them the entire game is awful in every respect and every class is bad.

I'll resume never reading OFs again.

I just wanted some Ele build advice :ohdear:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Lonk posted:

Noice. Bonus on cheap gear.

Yeah it's amazing, kitting out my Ranger hardly put a dent in my wallet. And unless GW2 pug raiding is crazily different from every other MMO in existence, healers are ALWAYS in demand if you want to try your hand at pugging raids.

victrix posted:

This is entirely my fault, but holy poo poo the official forums are horrid. Judging by them the entire game is awful in every respect and every class is bad.

I'll resume never reading OFs again.

I just wanted some Ele build advice :ohdear:

What do you want to know about Ele? If it's PvE I can probably help. I can't answer PvP questions at the moment because I'm not up to date on the latest Ele pvp technology, though I'm guessing the answer to any/all PvP Ele questions is still "Play Dagger/Focus Auramancer and run Water/Earth/Tempest."

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Really just looking for interesting combinations of armor sets, traits and runes/sigils and the weapon set that best utilizes them. It's hugely overwhelming browsing the lists of runes and food and stat combinations and trying to suss out something that won't be a waste of time to even put together the armor and test it.

I mean last time I checked the answer was just 'use berserker and whatever', so if that's the end of it, welp.

I suppose if that's the case and since pve is so easy in most places anyway, I'm looking for any setups that are just plain fun to run. The only places in pve that setup might matter significantly are high level fractals and the raid right?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah it's pretty much Berserker stats with Scholar Runes. For weapons, Dagger/Warhorn if you have HoT is really good, so is Staff, and Dagger/Focus is an okay substitute for Dagger/Warhorn if you don't have HoT but like dagger mainhand.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Tempest_-_Fresh_Air_DPS looks like a good Dagger/Warhorn setup. Fresh Air builds are really entertaining because Fresh Air is a trait that makes your Air attunement refresh in cooldown every time you crit, so you generally weave in and out of Air attunement while doing things and it's neat. I really like Fresh Air Dagger/horn builds!

If I'm not mistaken, http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Elementalist_-_D/F is a non-HoT Fresh Air build that looks pretty good.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
RNGesus is not on my side. I just want free ascended gear from fractals and WvW.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

lucifirius posted:

RNGesus is not on my side. I just want free ascended gear from fractals and WvW.

Keep at it and one day your Ascended gear stockpile could look like this!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:911:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't even like ranger but part of me is debating making another one just to boost it to 80 so i can druid with it because i'm one of those people who are broken inside and actually enjoy supporting in groups

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Keep at it and one day your Ascended gear stockpile could look like this!

whenever i need to gear up a new guy in ascended gear i log on to my ascended gear holding character and start moving boxes over to my bank

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

More like :france:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't even like ranger but part of me is debating making another one just to boost it to 80 so i can druid with it because i'm one of those people who are broken inside and actually enjoy supporting in groups

Supporting in GW2 is great because if someone dies, generally it is their own drat fault. Offhand in Wing 1 the only times people actively should be taking damage that I can think of are green circles and split phase on VG, tantrums on Gorseval, and on Sabetha... I'm pretty sure nothing, in fact. If someone takes damage outside of those things, it's generally a mistake, and everyone has enough built in healing to cover themselves unless they're making lots of mistakes. If you ever have someone get pissy that they went down in a raid, your first and final retort is "why were you taking that much damage?"

That isn't to say that as Druid you shouldn't feel some responsibility to keep your raid up, because you're basically the goalie of the raid and even if someone is a gibbering moron you generally have the heals to keep them alive. You just don't have to take poo poo from people the way you do sometimes in other games.

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 30, 2016

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

This is exactly what I did. Don't enjoy playing ranger enough to level up another one from scratch but I did want a second one to druid with, so the level 80 boost was perfect.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

:feelsgood:

E: Permanent Hair Stylist sitting at 2999g to buy, so tempting right now

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 30, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Magres posted:

Supporting in GW2 is great because if someone dies, generally it is their own drat fault. Offhand in Wing 1 the only times people actively should be taking damage that I can think of are green circles and split phase on VG, tantrums on Gorseval, and on Sabetha... I'm pretty sure nothing, in fact. If someone takes damage outside of those things, it's generally a mistake, and everyone has enough built in healing to cover themselves unless they're making lots of mistakes. If you ever have someone get pissy that they went down in a raid, your first and final retort is "why were you taking that much damage?"

That isn't to say that as Druid you shouldn't feel some responsibility to keep your raid up, because you're basically the goalie of the raid and even if someone is a gibbering moron you generally have the heals to keep them alive. You just don't have to take poo poo from people the way you do sometimes in other games.

The best part about druiding is that you get to watch what other people are doing and see every time someone STANDS IN THE loving BLACK GOO FOR TEN SECONDS and only lives because of you.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Before HoT, I found myself bored with the Ranger because, for doing general pve poo poo, you were best just running GS/longsword. But now with Druid you can mix it up a bit, plus when doing HoT events you can hop into ascended mode or whatever and heal folks. It adds enough difference to combat to keep me engaged when doing long events. It can be a challenge healing idiots during the bosses phase of dragon stand.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Are the hero point things you get in WvW still soul bound?

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Hefty posted:

The hero points themselves are, but the tokens aren't anymore! I had to log onto all of my characters that had them and double-click them. They'll end up in your wallet where anyone can use them to buy hero points.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Hefty posted:

Proof of Heroics are no longer soulbound. Any existing ones that you had Right-click them and -> Consume All. Any new ones you get go directly into your account wallet.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Waci posted:

The best part about druiding is that you get to watch what other people are doing and see every time someone STANDS IN THE loving BLACK GOO FOR TEN SECONDS and only lives because of you.

The Druid Sees Every Mistake You Make

~spooky~

(no but seriously we do, if you gently caress up WE KNOW. WE KNOW AND WE'RE JUDGING YOU for making us actually heal instead of afking and collecting boos loot)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You should judge me, my first reaction when I saw the 'Tablet' was to run away from it. Tablets are dangerous.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

Proof of Heroics are no longer soulbound. Any existing ones that you had Right-click them and -> Consume All. Any new ones you get go directly into your account wallet.

Everything in this patch is good.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Am I gonna get yelled at for going zerkers reaper in pug raids, and should I care?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

victrix posted:

You should judge me, my first reaction when I saw the 'Tablet' was to run away from it. Tablets are dangerous.

I have a feeling this is also some people's reaction to Rejuvenating Tides and Seed of Life.

DISASTER DOVE
Dec 13, 2015

D̷O̶N̴'̴T̷ ̸T̷O̷U̵C̷H̶ ̶M̷E̸

lucifirius posted:

Am I gonna get yelled at for going zerkers reaper in pug raids, and should I care?

Yeah, that will probably happen because people are really insecure about allowing "non-meta" builds because they think it means automatic failure. You'll also probably get grilled for not having enough Insights or the Eternal title, but you can definitely find groups that won't care

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Hefty posted:

Let us not forget it was like this originally via account-bound rank up chests that contained proof of heroics.
But yeah turning them into currency is patch good.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Waci posted:

But but anet hates everyone except vanilla wow raiders and is driving the rest of us from the game with punishing difficulty

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strategic Tea posted:

But but anet hates everyone except vanilla wow raiders and is driving the rest of us from the game with punishing difficulty

Forgot to switch accounts Nilgoow?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Hefty posted:

Colin died, game thrived.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

We thought we wanted PvE content that isn't terrible, but it turns out we don't.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Hefty posted:

Well they did turn off SAB so technically no.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
So, I kind of want to try Raiding at some point, but all I have is a dumb Berserker-gear Warrior and a Revenant that I can't decide should be support or DPS yet.

Should I use the 80 boost on something else in order to join the ranks of the cool raid people?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

Alectai posted:

So, I kind of want to try Raiding at some point, but all I have is a dumb Berserker-gear Warrior and a Revenant that I can't decide should be support or DPS yet.

Should I use the 80 boost on something else in order to join the ranks of the cool raid people?

You have to give us some idea of what you like before we can give you suggestions! What do you like playing in this game? Or in other games for that matter.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Hard to say, I'm usually okay with Tanking, but GW2 plays much differently. DPS is always fun and I enjoy having to dodge and handle mechanics. Direct healbotting is not something I'm good at, but juggling buffs and auras is something I can do easily, while avoiding getting eaten by grues.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

Alectai posted:

Hard to say, I'm usually okay with Tanking, but GW2 plays much differently. DPS is always fun and I enjoy having to dodge and handle mechanics. Direct healbotting is not something I'm good at, but juggling buffs and auras is something I can do easily, while avoiding getting eaten by grues.

Sounds like Mesmer/Chronomancer might be your jam, since they get to throw out quickness and alacrity to people while being DPS. Also I kind of hated leveling a mesmer but really enjoyed them once I had all my tools and skills so boosting them to 80 is probably a good idea, though things have certainly changed a lot since I last ran one through 1-80. http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Chronomancer_-_Utility_DPS_(R)

Otherwise I'd say Guardian for the reasons posted at the top of this page, I boosted one up and I'm enjoying the ability to throw down protection and shout out quickness and fury. http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_DPS/Support

Other people might have other suggestions though, don't jump the gun too fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
That being said, a lot of the pain of leveling a mesmer has been mitigated by the buff that Sigil of Inspiration received. Now mesmers can be perma-swift with that and a focus offhand.

• Locked thread