Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I'd not really call it sexist per say, and it's still probably the most well-written thing in the game, but parts of the Bloody Baron quest kinda annoyed me. After working many years in the psychiatry field, I've seen so many situations where the drunk man gently caress up his family only to feel sorry for himself. He will then show some semblance of remorse, giving the family hope once again yet failling into the same old pattern again. Especially the "whoa, I gotta collect my family again and get them back to me, I just realized now after I've mistreated them to hell and back that I actually kinda like them". Ugh...
I'm the first person to say that people deserve second chances but I've seen this pattern repeat itself so drat often that I kinda wish you could just say to both his wife and dauhter that... get away for crying out loud, or prevent the baron from getting to them or whatever. I know that you can make the quest end badly for the baron but I wish they'd have given the player the agency to resolve that quest by just keeping them apart from each other. I mean, you can chastize the baron through pretty much all of his quest so it just seems like it would make sense.

It's a testament to the writing in that quest though that it provoked that kind of reaction from me, but yeah... I wish there had been an additional "gently caress you Baron" way to resolve that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I loved the quest but it was kind of crying out for a maybe she stopped loving you when you murdered her friend and fed his body to the dogs response

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

On the other hand Yen has a hunchback and Triss has a horrifically burned chest and they're both elderly women.

Did Yen actually have a hunchback, or was that just Geralt projecting his thoughts on Sorceresses at the time?

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Geralt is doing Baron a favor only to find more about Ciri. You can make Geralt make it very clear to Baron how much he despises him.

Being forced to work with bad guys is kind of this franchise's thing. Both W1 and W2 had you make a choice between Bigot Brigade and Elven ISIS (only W1 had the option to go full neutral in the end).

Franz von Dada fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 29, 2016

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I've played through the game 3 or 4 times now and I'm not sure if there's one of these moments where you go out on a witcher contract and face a dilemma like the cat school dude in the quest where wolf and cat play. Do a job, don't get payed, people try to blatantly murder you to save money Ok, the one with the foglet I guess, but nothing that could get really ugly where you have to follow through with your threats.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did Yen actually have a hunchback, or was that just Geralt projecting his thoughts on Sorceresses at the time?

Yeah there's a flashback in the books of her Dad disowning her because of it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

drat. Was it like a right-angle kinda thing? Or just a baby spinal bump?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Geralt notices her uneven shoulder and deduces from there. Rule of thumb when it comes to sorceresses: they were too ugly to marry off, so they went to Aretuza and gradually fixed their appearance with magic and potions. Hence Geralt mentions something to the effect of "ugly eyes".

In fact, after some googling

quote:

"Unlike priestesses and druidesses, who only unwillingly took ugly or crippled girls, sorcerers took anyone who showed evidence of a predisposition. If the child passed the first years of training, magic entered into the equation - straightening and evening out legs, repairing bones which had badly knitted, patching harelips, removing scars, birthmarks and pox scars. The young sorceress would become attractive because the prestige of her profession demanded it. The result was pseudo-pretty women with the angry and cold eyes of ugly girls. Girls who couldn't forget their ugliness had been covered by the mask of magic only for the prestige of their profession."

Respectively sorcerers go for wizened look.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

So basically magical types male and female are some of the most bitter miserable people in the world made into master politicians with godlike power and what's left of the world's scientific knowledge :allears:

foltest did aretuza

emhyr knew

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Franz von Dada posted:

Geralt is doing Baron a favor only to find more about Ciri. You can make Geralt make it very clear to Baron how much he despises him.

Being forced to work with bad guys is kind of this franchise's thing. Both W1 and W2 had you make a choice between Bigot Brigade and Elven ISIS (only W1 had the option to go full neutral in the end).

I feel like W1 really got it it right in books style of Geralt neutrality. It always ends up harder on Geralt personally as usually both sides end up hating him and the outcome is more often than not objectively worse for everyone involved. Despite all the talk of the lesser evil, Geralt totally can't deal with the concept. There is a silver lining of sorts however, his infamy spreads enough that people just go "Eh, gently caress this dumb motherfucker, best not push him too far it always ends in some horrific bloodbath."

Strategic Tea posted:

So basically magical types male and female are some of the most bitter miserable people in the world made into master politicians with godlike power and what's left of the world's scientific knowledge :allears:

foltest did aretuza

emhyr knew

Well, not all of them were ugly or deformed before learning how to influence their looks. He just sort of had a moment of insight when looking at Yennefer that he is staring in cold and bitter eyes of a hunchback. And yes, mages are their world's intellectual elite.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 29, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In the newest Witcher book what the sorcerers do is so hosed up that it makes Philippa look like a saint.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Sekenr posted:

his infamy spreads enough that people just go "Eh, gently caress this dumb motherfucker, best not push him too far it always ends in some horrific bloodbath."

Something I wish this game had more of are instances where Geralt can talk himself out of fights through intimidation. I don't know how your average nordling can look at him and go "Yes, my three drunken friends and I can take this man who kills archgriffins for a living."

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Well, on the other hand at the end of the books he's killed not by some inhumanly skilled swordfighter but by a random peasant with pitchfork.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Franz von Dada posted:

Well geralt didn't have much of a choice to be neutral in Witcher 2. He was a wanted fugitive kept safe only by Roche. Siding with iorveth just damned him further and sticking with Roche can get you implicated in the murder of yet another king. There was no way out of the situation where geralt could just leave things alone. He explains as much to triss at the elven baths, that he'd be hunted without mercy if he ran. Roche and iorveth were his only options to clear his name, so he was stuck with them.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Palpek posted:

Well, on the other hand at the end of the books he's killed not by some inhumanly skilled swordfighter but by a random peasant with pitchfork.

Woof, I bet Geralt could never live that one down...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The pitchfork story is also the little detail that makes a difference with the Cat school witcher. If you don't know the books it doesn't really matter that the Cat dude got jumped by a guy with a pitchfork but when you know Geralt's story you can tell that he's way more understanding for the dude after hearing that. Geralt even comments that 'it's a very dangerous weapon in close-quarters' and pauses as if he's remembering that situation. I couldn't kill him after that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I was going to let him go if he just killed the people that screwed him, but then he slaughtered the whole village and then I was like, "Nah dude, I'm gonna kill you."

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Aren't sorcereresses unnaturally beautiful because they basically glamour themselves with magic? Maybe Yen and Triss secretly have a Melisandre thing going on :ohdear:

JaucheCharly posted:

I've played through the game 3 or 4 times now and I'm not sure if there's one of these moments where you go out on a witcher contract and face a dilemma like the cat school dude in the quest where wolf and cat play. Do a job, don't get payed, people try to blatantly murder you to save money Ok, the one with the foglet I guess, but nothing that could get really ugly where you have to follow through with your threats.

I did one recently where I had to kill an Aracha and when I got back to the guy he was pissed because it had already killed his brother and he wasn't gonna pay up. Telling him you risked your life gets him to though, although you also have the option to say you're not gonna beg and just leave.

Unrelated but I wish there was more useful things to spend money on in this. All I do is craft Witcher gear so my money is purely for repairing things and buying recipes/ingredients that I need, but that's not all that expensive to do. I never even negotiate on Witcher contracts because money is no object for me.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It's straight cosmetic surgery if they can do it, glamour is sort of emergency - one of Vilgefortz's circle lost her entire lower jaw in magical accident, and maintains one to look normal.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I still can't get over how W1 was released, an unknown Polish studio which only previous record was selling shady CDs decided to make a game based on a local writer, contracted a rather crappy engine from Atari (same that was used for NWN 1 if I'm not mistaken) and somehow delivered. I remember Chris Avellone saying grim predictions on some event about the future of CRPGs how they will have to be "smaller in scale with tighter plot", gaming media previews skeptical but trying to not be overly vicious considering the dry-spell and than it is the opposite of Avellone predictions, it was rather long (about 40 hours), fully-voice overed - rather novel for CRPGs at the time, well-done mocap animations, fun plot, good PR decisions like no DRM on principle and enhanced edition for free and everything just clicked.

Ginette Reno posted:

Aren't sorcereresses unnaturally beautiful because they basically glamour themselves with magic? Maybe Yen and Triss secretly have a Melisandre thing going on :ohdear:

Its magical cosmetics, like rare dragon glands or some poo poo, magical spells and the rest is secret/unknown, a lot of jealousy going on but supposedly transformation is real. Like modern cosmetic surgery except its surgery + magic. Likely completely fake but there is no way to know.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 30, 2016

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Palpek posted:

The pitchfork story is also the little detail that makes a difference with the Cat school witcher. If you don't know the books it doesn't really matter that the Cat dude got jumped by a guy with a pitchfork but when you know Geralt's story you can tell that he's way more understanding for the dude after hearing that. Geralt even comments that 'it's a very dangerous weapon in close-quarters' and pauses as if he's remembering that situation. I couldn't kill him after that.

I agree, Geralt is definitely understanding of someone's reasons for murdering every man, woman and child in a village. It's not like his entire thing is defending the innocent and bringing justice to evil scum or anything.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A not surprising number of people I've talked ot about the Witcher have admitted to only have grabbed the games because they heard it had nudity in it, becuase nudity in games is still fairly rare. Though they all were amazed at how good the game was.

I always figured that magic would turn its user into an idealized image of themselves. If you thought that you would be a gorgeous woman, you'd turn into one, or into a wise old man.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ginette Reno posted:

Unrelated but I wish there was more useful things to spend money on in this. All I do is craft Witcher gear so my money is purely for repairing things and buying recipes/ingredients that I need, but that's not all that expensive to do. I never even negotiate on Witcher contracts because money is no object for me.

Depending on how obsessively you collect and sell things to the right vendors, but if you craft all the endgame stuff and buy all the liquor needed for the superior potions it'll run through a heap of coin. Then the runemaster hits and you'll need about 30-40K to buff him up completely (and he still charges you for runes!)

Of course, I crafted masterlevel sets of all schools, and did a separate superior wolf armor set so I could swap to the mastercraft mid-final battle.

SirSamVimes posted:

I agree, Geralt is definitely understanding of someone's reasons for murdering every man, woman and child in a village. It's not like his entire thing is defending the innocent and bringing justice to evil scum or anything.
Hey, he didn't kill every man, woman, and child in the village.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 30, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

l33t b4c0n posted:

Just curious, but I feel like I missed the part where the tree spirit actually spells out that the kids are going to get eaten and it will save them if you free it. I know it's insinuated that the kids are pretty hosed and the hags aren't to be trusted, but roleplaying as Geralt, I never felt like I could justify siding with the spirit as it's such an unknown evil. As much as Geralt would like to help everyone, I also feel like he's smart enough to know he can't release an ancient evil on the chance that it might be slightly less evil than the Crones.

Im pretty sure the tree tells you that the kids will die if you dont help. And the hags complain they cant eat them if you do it. And the stories about children following the candy road only to be eaten. And the big pot in the basement. I think you need to take the whole hansel and grettel story on face value with this one.

And does Geralt actually know the tree is evil?

The way i went about it, the tree was far more honest than the hags, and as it stood, the tree hadnt actually done anything bad (i pretty much let every monster go unless they have actually done wrong).

And by releasing the tree he was certain of saving the innocent kids, which to me would put the evil tree as more trust worthy and less evil. I guess i saw the Evil Tree as more of an aspect of nature, where as the Hags were evil.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
I came upon the Spirit Tree right after the Cursed Tower quest where I got tricked by a ghost woman and accidentally released a horrible monstrosity into the world.

So after that I was like "never making that mistake again" and killed the tree.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Anyone use any of the SweetFX or Reshade presets that are on nexus? If so, know of any good ones that don't give too much of an FPS hit? This game is gorgeous by itself, I just want to see if I can make it look even better.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

SirSamVimes posted:

Well, of course it's not clear cut as always but the similarities between both situations make the decision a bit more difficult. Basically Geralt's response to "what would you have done if you were me?" would be "I'd have died from that pitchfork, honestly" which is more interesting than taking the theoretical moral high ground. It's obvious the Cat witcher is hosed up in the head otherwise.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 30, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Meskhenet posted:

Well the tree is killing the villagers in that town because it's possessing animals and driving them crazy. The Hags are terrible too though.

I think the right choice is probably to help the spirit because it saves the kids although at the cost of the Baron and his wife. Though I guess you could argue that now two evils are loose in the world instead of just the Crones. I dunno, tough choice.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Are you trying to say Geralt has never massacred a village?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ginette Reno posted:

Well the tree is killing the villagers in that town because it's possessing animals and driving them crazy. The Hags are terrible too though.

I think the right choice is probably to help the spirit because it saves the kids although at the cost of the Baron and his wife. Though I guess you could argue that now two evils are loose in the world instead of just the Crones. I dunno, tough choice.
If Baron's wife is your concern then there's the third option where you release the tree spirit before you even meet the Crones and then she will survive.

The problem is that while the Crones are evil they still bring a sense of order to these forgotten lands. They're terrible cannibals of course but they also protect locals from monsters and help them in the times of war where the alternative is getting your village burned to the ground. The tree spirit is just chaotic evil that kills because it can, there's no negotiating with it, it won't protect nobody from anything even for its own profit, it's just pure destruction so bringing it onto the land definitely leaves it even worse off than under the Crones.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Palpek posted:

If Baron's wife is your concern then there's the third option where you release the tree spirit before you even meet the Crones and then she will survive.

I did this, and both the kids and all of Downwarren died. I have no idea how that happened, but maybe that third option got fixed/changed?

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Isn't the tree spirit causing people to have nightmares and basically sleepwalk off to the tree just to get killed by her beasts? Keira mentions something about it and there are corpses around the tree.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I just killed the tree, because I wouldn't think Geralt would jeopardise his search for Ciri on the off-chance that the tree would actually save the kids.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

The Lone Badger posted:

Are you trying to say Geralt has never massacred a village?

Does mowing down a murderous mob count?

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I killed the tree because saving some kids for me is a poo poo quest reward. I'm no predator.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Meskhenet posted:

In his inner monologue cutscene after you "rescue" the baron's wife, Geralt mentions the tree spirit being the greater evil.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I never fot the inpression the tree was evil. It says itself that the deaths were unintended and just apart of nature.

The crones are super evil in so many ways that I thought a disembodied voice coming from a giant tumor was more reasonable.

I mean poo poo the crones are into some dark stuff. Possessing a woman to talk through some tapestry? Thats bad voodoo

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Roman Reigns posted:

In his inner monologue cutscene after you "rescue" the baron's wife, Geralt mentions the tree spirit being the greater evil.
Doesn't that speech change if you help the tree instead? I always took if as Geralt justifying his choice for himself, not that he is some kind of omnipresent narrator.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Sylphosaurus posted:

Doesn't that speech change if you help the tree instead? I always took if as Geralt justifying his choice for himself, not that he is some kind of omnipresent narrator.

Sorry, should have specified. He calls it the greater evil if you take the save tree path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Roman Reigns posted:

Sorry, should have specified. He calls it the greater evil if you take the save tree path.

Well, it still hasnt really done much since i released it :) so its all good. (watch some dlc come out.....)