Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The mobile game Stardust Shooters has an event running alongside the anime with stages named after the episodes. After the end of the month's stage, they show the next month's stage names - this is what's coming.

6. 広瀬康一(エコーズ)
7. 間田敏和(サーフィス)
8. 山岸由花子は恋をする その1
9. 山岸由花子は恋をする その2

6. Koichi Hirose (Echoes)
7. Toshizaku Hazamada (Surface)
8. Yukako Yamagishi is in Love Part 1
9. Yukako Yamagishi is in Love Part 2

(Not really surprising, just a confirmation.)
(Also, sorry for posting that in the anime thread.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can see Yukako going for 3.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i keep enjoying the musical themes that are kicking in when new characters step into the forefront. kiochi's bit was neat last episode and i look forward to hearing it next week, and akira's little riff that started up when RHCP burst in was cool.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Hogama posted:

The mobile game Stardust Shooters has an event running alongside the anime with stages named after the episodes. After the end of the month's stage, they show the next month's stage names - this is what's coming.

6. 広瀬康一(エコーズ)
7. 間田敏和(サーフィス)
8. 山岸由花子は恋をする その1
9. 山岸由花子は恋をする その2

6. Koichi Hirose (Echoes)
7. Toshizaku Hazamada (Surface)
8. Yukako Yamagishi is in Love Part 1
9. Yukako Yamagishi is in Love Part 2

(Not really surprising, just a confirmation.)
(Also, sorry for posting that in the anime thread.)

Good. Stringing every fight out to 2 parts in the second half of Stardust Crusaders really dragged the show down. Glad to see David has learnt from it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You are assuming more than most of us are from four episodes listed by a mediocre phone game

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
https://twitter.com/matasnareff3/status/726261279170564096

Have no idea what the tweet says but the pictures are dynamite.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Really wish you didn't have to buy the green Crazy Diamond for that smiley Josuke head.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
After the lion's share of the Angelo fight was confined to a single episode, I could easily see Echoes and Surface each cut down to one.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I spent a fair amount of time last night wondering when Baron Zemo was going to say "Rhinoceros beetle".

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

After the lion's share of the Angelo fight was confined to a single episode, I could easily see Echoes and Surface each cut down to one.

Probably ideal for both arcs (and I don't say that because they're ones I like less; it'd just be weird to break those in two I think).

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I am looking forward to Koichi having act 1 for a grand total of 3 episodes, just one episode longer than he has egg

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I am looking forward to Koichi having act 1 for a grand total of 3 episodes, just one episode longer than he has egg

Act 2 is way more interesting anyway imo

Speaking of Echoes, are there any other Stands like that where the user can draw upon alternate versions of the same Stand? I guess Sheer Heart Attack in Part 4 might count but it really seems to be a more a part of a whole than a totally separate incarnation.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Act 2 is way more interesting anyway imo

Speaking of Echoes, are there any other Stands like that where the user can draw upon alternate versions of the same Stand? I guess Sheer Heart Attack in Part 4 might count but it really seems to be a more a part of a whole than a totally separate incarnation.

Silver Chariot works like that, so does Tusk I think. You can argue that stands that can attach themselves to different objects (wheel of fortune or strength) could work that way. Some just have weird tertiary abilities though that dont come up often, like highway star's ability to create illusions as bait for spiritually aware people, or white snake's ability to make people hallucinate.

Foo Fighters has multiple forms too though that goes back to Strength and Wheel of Fortune in that Foo Fighters is a stand that attaches to a thing

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh right duh, stone free and kiss operate in the same way of having unique forms they can take

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Tusk is probably the closest to Echoes in that respect, can't believe I forgot about Tusk.

The idea of a Stand having several completely different forms with widely varied abilities is interesting, but it's also really close to breaking the "only one Stand" rule so I can see why it isn't used too often.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Honestly a way to cure him might be if they had Alessi de-age him back 11 years.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Honestly a way to cure him might be if they had Alessi de-age him back 11 years.

Well guess what. Alessi was a nice guy in real life but he got the flesh bud and now he's tumor man

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Tusk is also kind of interesting because he doesn't keep Act 3 for very long, to the point it's almost kind of pointless.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

Tusk is also kind of interesting because he doesn't keep Act 3 for very long, to the point it's almost kind of pointless.

He uses it against alt-diego though. I think

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Stallion Cabana posted:

I remember him using quite a bit. He gets in the fight against Axl RO, and then uses it in that crazy gunfight with the Eleven Nameless Men.

I think he only ever technically uses act 4 twice, once against Valentine and then alt Diego. He can only do it when riding his horse perfectly to get the super golden ratio spin or whatever.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Begemot posted:

I remember him using quite a bit. He gets in the fight against Axl RO, and then uses it in that crazy gunfight with the Eleven Nameless Men.

I think he only ever technically uses act 4 twice, once against Valentine and then alt Diego. He can only do it when riding his horse perfectly to get the super golden ratio spin or whatever.

you forgot against himself! He had to cancel out the rotation on himself that one time

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the powers that echoes has are kind of odd and could have been a tiny bit better implemented (looking at you, act 3) but in general i always just look at stands with successive acts representing the user growing as a person over time. johnny's act 4 kinda comes off as like an even further extension that's augmented by his utilization of the purest form of the power of GRAVITY. i haven't played the more recent pokemon games, but it comes off like a pokemon leveling up and evolving and act 4 is giving it a mega stone or whatever the hell those are.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
When I say Act 3 I mean the appearance of Act 3, not the power.

After he returns the Corpse Parts to the 11 Men, he reverts to Act 2, and he goes straight from 2 to 4 afterwards. 4 still has 3's power, but the appearance disappears.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Admittedly, my overinflated estimation of Echoes might have been due to forgetting how long Yukako's chapters were.

Speaking of, is Yukako's fight supposed to be based on Misery?

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-prince-japanese-comics-20160427-snap-htmlstory.html

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Admittedly, my overinflated estimation of Echoes might have been due to forgetting how long Yukako's chapters were.

It has a similar idea to Misery, but the concept of "Hold someone hostage because you are in love with them" is a somewhat common story.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wanna say it was on a list of Araki's favorite movies, so probably.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm getting one of those Akamai.net warnings, is that on the website's end or my end?

Edit: I went around the link by googling it. It's a pretty nice article talking about Prince's influences to Jojo

also theirs this part

"LA Times" posted:

Then there’s the fact that one of the special powers in “Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure” is called “Gold Experience,” after Prince’s 1995 album of the same name. It’s a little hard to explain what this special power (technically called a “stand” in the series) is, but you can get a feel for it by watching some footage of a video game adaptation of the series.

So here’s an eight-minute video of a guy making his golden robot punch, everybody

Sinners Sandwich fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 1, 2016

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm getting one of those Akamai.net warnings, is that on the website's end or my end?

Edit: I went around the link by googling it. It's a pretty nice article talking about Prince's influences to Jojo

also theirs this part

tbh that has to be the worst explanatory video ever

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I dunno, it's a pretty good casual primer for Jojo and an example of an overt reference to Prince rather than something that requires more subtle (?) Prince references as illustrated by the two or so paragraphs on Josuke.

Anyway, Prince Estate gonna sue

Edit: Like seriously why would you bother to explain how Gold Experience works? Would you prefer they had focused on Part 8 Prince references and spend a lot of time explaining how soap bubbles work rather than an anime man audibly saying the name of a Prince album?

Sinners Sandwich fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 1, 2016

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"On paper, Gold Experience turns inanimate objects into animals. In practice, it can do whatever the gently caress Araki needs it to."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm more confused about how Gold Experience works than King Crimson considering how many powers Giorno milks out of it.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm more confused about how Gold Experience works than King Crimson considering how many powers Giorno milks out of it.
I'm no longer trying to understand it, I'm just appreciating the fact that a Stand was used to create a surfboard out of grass and I'll... leave it at that

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Remember that time Giorno used Gold Experience to turn his tooth into a water-absorbing jellyfish when Abbacchio tried to give him the real "gold experience?"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Then when you're just getting a handle on what Gold Experience does, bam, Gold Experience Requiem, probably the most complex stand in JoJo's.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Golden Wind's power doesn't really get in the way of the plot, it's all just the action scenes. If you get your wires crossed on Emperor Crimson then there are going to be problems with how part 5 works

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
As awfully written as Gold Experience is as a Stand, I find it funny in a meta way that its ultimate form is literally "I win".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

As awfully written as Gold Experience is as a Stand, I find it funny in a meta way that its ultimate form is literally "I win".

It took a literal fanfiction Stand to beat GER.

Speaking of fanfiction defeating overpowered Stands, I will never not love the ending of Bohemian Rhapsody.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It's funny, the protagonist stands in parts 4 and 6 have very easily defined powers that are used in creative ways. But gold experience seems to work differently every time it's used.

But that never bothered me too much in part 5 because the stands that the rest of the gang have are so great. Sex pistols and sticky fingers are always used creatively and even though purple haze is only used once I love the concept of it. A stand that is really powerful but also dumb and angry all the time. Part 5 always seemed to focus more on the group as a whole rather than just on Giorno.

I need to read Purple Haze Feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I didn't find gold experience too complicated to understand, just way too vague in terms of powers. He could punch life into things so there ended up being like way too many things that tied back into this, and also something about reflecting damage sometimes which I dunno what it has to giving life to stuff but eh