Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Why is the Mach the go to ship for blitzing? Is it solely because of it's warp speed? And is it still a good choice for doing missions straight up and not just blitzing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Yes and yes. Might as well convert your yachtmach into a mission runner because we ain't never undocking that poo poo with tracking titans back in the game again.

gently caress. Fozziesov isn't even "small gang PvP."

At this point it's "find a ship that can do 4k m/s with good crowd control and cloaking. Then be an uncatchable dick and abuse capture notification mechanics to avoid fights altogether and solo capture structures." Fozziesov is an awful joke of a system. Don't get me wrong, I applaud the effort and direction they are trying to move the game, but the actual mechanics themselves encourage some really wonky unfun bullshit and Fozziesov should commit honorable seppuku to avoid future shame to his family.

Siets fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 29, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Landsknecht posted:

the new sov system is a vast improvement because the previous one was just an escalation challenge

Except, as we are discovering, the new one is also an escalation challenge. This is nothing to do with Fozziesov itself, so much as the fact that all PVP in Eve is, given enough resources, an escalation challenge, and if you can describe a full scale sov war between the MBC and the Imperium with two words they would be "enough resources".

For all that supercaps are penalised out of directly taking nodes, Fozziesov has been no exception to this rule, since the entire point is that it's about sustained grid control, and the side with supercap superiority can always keep the field clear of enemy heavy assets (even before they got the ability to directly clear that field back) and that superiority means they couldn't be dislodged since the only viable counter to "N supercaps" was "N+1 supercaps". We'll see if the nerfs to supercap durability change this and allow a large enough force of non-supercaps to dislodge them.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 29, 2016

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Dallan Invictus posted:

Except, as we are discovering, the new one is also an escalation challenge. This is nothing to do with Fozziesov itself, so much as the fact that all PVP in Eve is, given enough resources, an escalation challenge, and if you can describe a full scale sov war between the MBC and the Imperium with two words they would be "enough resources".

For all that supercaps are penalised out of directly taking nodes, Fozziesov has been no exception to this rule, since the entire point is that it's about sustained grid control, and the side with supercap superiority can always keep the field clear of enemy heavy assets (even before they got the ability to directly clear that field back) and that superiority means they couldn't be dislodged since the only viable counter to "N supercaps" was "N+1 supercaps". We'll see if the nerfs to supercap durability change this and allow a large enough force of non-supercaps to dislodge them.

supercaps have been nerfed a lot, and you could probably use (now cheaper) suicide dreads to blap a lot of them

a titan is still 80bil + fit, and a fit dread is what, 2.5bil now? 20 dreads could take out a titan, and the threat of losing supers makes people stop using them fairly quickly

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

ChickenWing posted:

I actually read something the other day that made this (and basically everything about FCON) make more sense

https://goonfleet.com/index.php/topic/169851-freightergate-2012-fa-vs-fcon-edition/

Aw Tark. Those logs are horrible.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Landsknecht posted:

supercaps have been nerfed a lot, and you could probably use (now cheaper) suicide dreads to blap a lot of them

This is the reason I'm still considering keeping my sub past this month, yeah. I'm unlikely to ever get into a supercap but I no-poo poo loved flying dreadnoughts back in Delve II and aftermath, and if there's more reason to re-acquire and hop into a Revelation then I'm all for it.

Cruisers-And-Below Online is all well and good (and more fun than I thought it was going to be, DBRB fleets aside), but I still love that BC-to-DN space even if CCP's been neglecting it up until now.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why is the Mach the go to ship for blitzing? Is it solely because of it's warp speed? And is it still a good choice for doing missions straight up and not just blitzing?

Speed, plus very high DPS and good application.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Landsknecht posted:

the new sov system is a vast improvement because the previous one was just an escalation challenge

Um, no. If there is one dude entosising command nodes, you go get another dude and the two of you get nodes. You win. If 10 mallers are on a station, go get 20 caracals to make them gently caress off.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Gas clouds are stunning.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
You guys do remember the "practice" war in provi right?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Two medium citadels have already sold on the market. As far as I know Rapid equipment assembly arrays have the highest time reduction so I guess they were built in one of those.

April Fool
Apr 1, 2016
My bet is the first citadels will be set up in j-space.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Landsknecht posted:

This one is still an escalation challenge. Whoever brings the most small gangs wins.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

Gas clouds are stunning.

Did you make it into a wormhole?

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Siets posted:

Why does it smell like farts?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

have you finished all the newbie mission arcs? you get at least one destroyer, a venture, and some other stuff

I think I ended up with a bantam, a heron, a badger or two, two ventures, a fast caldari frigate that looks like a miniature caracal kinda, and maybe something else

edit: oh yeah, a cormorant

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just resubbed and poo poo is sweet. I forgot how hard the game is and how much stuff there is to do. There's t3 destroyers now? What's up with that? Time cards are 1bn too, nice. The cap ship reworks seem real cool and I would like to do a ton of stuff but I will probably sit in high sec in abject fear of getting blown up. I still have jump clones out in delve and would very much like to sell all my junk down there. What happens if I jump to an enemy held station? Can I sell stuff? I seem to remember having issues. I have a ton of items in 319 and around there, NOL, etc.

EDIT: Bunch of dudes I played with: last logged on 1 year ago :( Rip.

vandalism fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 30, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

April Fool posted:

Very likely.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

April Fool posted:

I wouldn't be surprised, but I imagine most wormhole folks will opt for the large both for the extra defense against eviction and the market service.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Just bough a plex at 906M! What a time to win at EVE :supaburn:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
http://i.imgur.com/TYj3aWp.webm

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Siets posted:

I don't know. I was doing a mission where I got onto this acceleration platforms and it took me to some data sites and relic sites.

Then I had to scan for a relic site, but I don't have half a clue what I was doing with the scanning. It took me about 30 minutes to get a scan to go from 34% to 70% and I don't know what I was doing to change things or how to improve it! Also hacking confuses me too!

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

VideoGames posted:

Then I had to scan for a relic site, but I don't have half a clue what I was doing with the scanning. It took me about 30 minutes to get a scan to go from 34% to 70% and I don't know what I was doing to change things or how to improve it! Also hacking confuses me too!
There's a whole category of skills in the "scanning" submenu. My probing alt has more than 4M points in it, which is about 2 months straight but with 1M you can be at lvl4 and be pretty good. Of course there are implants, rigs and ships with bonuses for that. Mainly the Covert Ops frigates (Buzzard, Cheetah, Anathema and Helios) and others too, like the Astero and the Stratios or even standard frigs like the Heron. And modules and probes too, the Sisters of Eve ones.

Hope you liked it because having to scan in EVE.... it happens.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

VideoGames posted:

I don't know. I was doing a mission where I got onto this acceleration platforms and it took me to some data sites and relic sites.

Sounds like you were doing one of the career agent missions for exploration.

HERE is a textual guide on scanning that I found useful, and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S2nH4q6ULw&t=232s is a quick video tutorial on basic scanning.

Basically you're going to launch your probes, roughly center them around a cosmic signature (red sphere, ring, or dot in the map display) and hit the Analyze button. As you repeat this process you'll keep reducing your probes' scan radius and narrowing down where the signature actually is until you get a warp-in for it. It will take a few minutes, at least it does for me as a new character.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

froody guy posted:

There's a whole category of skills in the "scanning" submenu. My probing alt has more than 4M points in it, which is about 2 months straight but with 1M you can be at lvl4 and be pretty good. Of course there are implants, rigs and ships with bonuses for that. Mainly the Covert Ops frigates (Buzzard, Cheetah, Anathema and Helios) and others too, like the Astero and the Stratios or even standard frigs like the Heron. And modules and probes too, the Sisters of Eve ones.

Hope you liked it because having to scan in EVE.... it happens.

Well it was interesting, I just don't think I got detailed instructions on how it works. I hit a formation and then analyse. Then I hit the other button and did the same thing and nothing really happened except the percentage changed. I don't really get it :(

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

VideoGames posted:

Well it was interesting, I just don't think I got detailed instructions on how it works. I hit a formation and then analyse. Then I hit the other button and did the same thing and nothing really happened except the percentage changed. I don't really get it :(

You open the map and then move the probes around to try and catch the signature you're hunting. You then click the edge of the probes scan bubble and pull them closer together to get a more accurate reading.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jazzzzz posted:

Sounds like you were doing one of the career agent missions for exploration.

HERE is a textual guide on scanning that I found useful, and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S2nH4q6ULw&t=232s is a quick video tutorial on basic scanning.

Basically you're going to launch your probes, roughly center them around a cosmic signature (red sphere, ring, or dot in the map display) and hit the Analyze button. As you repeat this process you'll keep reducing your probes' scan radius and narrowing down where the signature actually is until you get a warp-in for it. It will take a few minutes, at least it does for me as a new character.

This video was awesome! I didn't know you could go to the map and change radius things like that. The mission didn't tell me to do it. Unless I totally missed something, and that is very likely. Now I can have fun scanning too!
:downs:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Scanning is a lot of fun. Some of the most fun I've had has been in my probing flycatcher.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Zephyrine posted:

Scanning is a lot of fun. Some of the most fun I've had has been in my probing flycatcher.

I'm using a little Bantam for it called Ore. :) I also really like the Gurmista skin you can buy for it! Though I cannot figure out if I am reading prices correctly. Is it a million isks?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
it's under 300k

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

VideoGames posted:

This video was awesome! I didn't know you could go to the map and change radius things like that. The mission didn't tell me to do it. Unless I totally missed something, and that is very likely. Now I can have fun scanning too!

Scanning is pretty fun indeed, that kind of relaxing fun tho. Once you're done with it tho, you'd better check the dark side of it. It's called dscan and it can make you scream :ohdear:

I still remember my first practical lesson when I was a unista (I've been that bad yes) I was all "oh my god this is unbelievable, there are all those things I can probe without being noticed and I can do it" but man it can be frikkin painful. Especially if others make it to your ratting thing :unsmigghh:

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I'm using a little Bantam for it called Ore. :) I also really like the Gurmista skin you can buy for it! Though I cannot figure out if I am reading prices correctly. Is it a million isks?

Pebble might be a better choice for scanning as it gets a bonus to probe scan strength. Makes it easier to find things.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Oh, the market must stop at a certain point and not show me further away places!

froody guy posted:

Scanning is pretty fun indeed, that kind of relaxing fun tho. Once you're done with it tho, you'd better check the dark side of it. It's called dscan and it can make you scream :ohdear:

I still remember my first practical lesson when I was a unista (I've been that bad yes) I was all "oh my god this is unbelievable, there are all those things I can probe without being noticed and I can do it" but man it can be frikkin painful. Especially if others make it to your ratting thing :unsmigghh:

Well the wreck site looked really neat, so I'd like to see cool and interesting universe things! That's become part of the fun stuff. :D

Xachariah posted:

Pebble might be a better choice for scanning as it gets a bonus to probe scan strength. Makes it easier to find things.

Oh neat! I should really learn what ships can do what and not go by what modules I'm plopping in to the bays.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Jita is the central market hub for the entire game

https://eve-central.com/home/quicklook.html?sethours=10&setminQ=0&typeid=40770 for bantam skin

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Oh, the market must stop at a certain point and not show me further away places!

Yeah the furthest it shows is the region you're in. The Akianav... However it's spelt place you frequent is a different region to Jita which has the best prices. If you're shopping for stuff I recommend a wee 4 jump jaunt to Jita to get the best bang for your space buck.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Xachariah posted:

Yeah the furthest it shows is the region you're in. The Akianav... However it's spelt place you frequent is a different region to Jita which has the best prices. If you're shopping for stuff I recommend a wee 4 jump jaunt to Jita to get the best bang for your space buck.

Good lord! I should be going round there more. I've been grabbing things in my little system. Time to brave space!

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
You remind me of the brave little toaster :shobon:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Foehammer007 posted:

You remind me of the brave little toaster :shobon:

I'm currently reading all the Local Jita stuff and absolutely everything appears to be a scam of some sort. If you click the contracts then nothing matches up with what is said in chat. It's quite crazy! Some guy is saying I want to sell 6 plexs for 6 million but if you open that contract it says he will give you 6 million for you giving him 6 plexs! So cheeky!

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zephyrine posted:

Tell me of this magical land of mystery.

I'm joining Darius's corp, which means I won't be dealing with sov warfare or any of the obnoxious poo poo and toxic personalities that go along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I'm currently reading all the Local Jita stuff and absolutely everything appears to be a scam of some sort. If you click the contracts then nothing matches up with what is said in chat. It's quite crazy! Some guy is saying I want to sell 6 plexs for 6 million but if you open that contract it says he will give you 6 million for you giving him 6 plexs! So cheeky!

Yup, if it appears not to be a scam, it's just a particularly clever one.

• Locked thread