Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Found something I've been looking for awhile at the Goodwill, a Mini Disc/CD combo deck. It's a Sony MXD-D400 and works great and fits in nicely with my main system. Even though this deck was introduced it looks like in 2003, it had a MD full of 90s drum and bass in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Disregard my mess, I managed to find genuine floor stands for my speakers. $30 at our local B&O retailer, and they were mine! I also checked out their $25,000 85" TV and at least got to look at their $80,000 pair of BeoLab 90s that they were having trouble with, so they couldn't get sound from them.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Sweet speakers. I have a pair just like that (60.2?) minus the cool coiled cable, and some dope tried to open the speakers by cutting the plastic bands around one of the speakers :(

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah, they are 60.2s It didn't occur to me not to put them that close to the CRT :doh: They made a lot of pretty colors across the screen. No lasting damage thankfully.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I picked up a pair of Yamaha NS-333 and some DIN plugs to hook them up to the B&O. Don't even know where I'm going to put them, but they were $35 and pretty much brand new.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I don't post much on SA anymore, but I had to brag about this poo poo:

Salvation Army find. $15.99. cleaned up and works perfectly.

Amongst the Pez and poo poo in my trunk.

All cleaned up and sounding awesome.

Not even a scratch.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

drat, I'm jealous.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
$20 at the Salvation Army got me this:

AKAI AP-307 direct drive quartz lock. Have to get a phono preamp again to hear it, but it does spin steadily at least. Sooooo much grime to clean off, this came from a dirty home! The dustcover is broken and fixed with a sticker, but it will do for now until I decide to fix it up or sell it on.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I was referred here from another thread. I'll just re-post my question: I have a GAS son of ampzilla amp and thalia preamp and pair of old magnaplanars that I've been using for years. Recently anything I play (phono, aux, tuner) is bonkers. The best way I can describe it is that the levels seem way out order. Everything I play sounds like a a multitrack recording in which nothing lines up. Sometimes it sounds like there's a bizarre reverb in effect. I thought I was going crazy until some other people noticed it, too. It affects both speakers equally. I have no idea what's going on and at this point. Help please.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Went to an auction today and they had this Yamaha CR-640 there:

I was prepared to go pretty high but picked it up for $35. This thing is in beautiful shape, and works well. AM reception is abysmal but I don't care about that. Unfortunately all six lamps are burnt out so I'll probably need to dump $20 more into it, unless I can figure out a cheap way to LED mod it or something. Also included those speakers so that was a nice bonus.

I don't think it will replace my Pioneer SX-780 but it will make a nice setup for another room, or as a gift.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 10, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
After a while of barely using my Marantz 2230, I've been using it very frequently lately. As of last night (after I plugged headphones into it for the first time since last October or so) it seems to be really quiet; I need to turn the volume knob 3/4ths of the way to max before I get decent volume out of it.

Any ideas on what's gone wrong? I'm really hoping it's nothing serious because I just had this thing restored and recapped a couple of years ago. :sigh:

wa27 posted:

Went to an auction today and they had this Yamaha CR-640 there:

I was prepared to go pretty high but picked it up for $35. This thing is in beautiful shape, and works well. AM reception is abysmal but I don't care about that. Unfortunately all six lamps are burnt out so I'll probably need to dump $20 more into it, unless I can figure out a cheap way to LED mod it or something. Also included those speakers so that was a nice bonus.

I don't think it will replace my Pioneer SX-780 but it will make a nice setup for another room, or as a gift.

My favorite thing about those receivers is the u-joints and axles connecting the source knobs to their switches.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 10, 2016

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Make sure your pre/main loops are in, if so trade them out for a RCA cable and see if that fixes it. I've worked on a few Marantz and volume is low if those aren't in or have bad contact. Also do the normal cycle all the knobs/buttons a bunch.

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 11, 2016

disco_stu
Jun 19, 2005
Disco Stu does not need to advertise!

evobatman posted:

AKAI AP-307 direct drive quartz lock. Have to get a phono preamp again to hear it, but it does spin steadily at least. Sooooo much grime to clean off, this came from a dirty home! The dustcover is broken and fixed with a sticker, but it will do for now until I decide to fix it up or sell it on.

I have the 207 version. It's a great turntable. Be sure to clean the hell out of the auto return mechanism. Mine gave me problems, but all is good now.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

TooLShack posted:

Make sure your pre/main loops are in, if so trade them out for a RCA cable and see if that fixes it. I've worked on a few Marantz and volume is low if those aren't in or have bad contact. Also do the normal cycle all the knobs/buttons a bunch.

it turns out to be my ipod/dock randomly deciding to lower the line out level for no reason :shrug:

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Hey, rather be something like that then a bad pre amp or amp section.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I picked up a pair of BeoVox 2700 at the flea markets today.

I definitively have developed some kind of problem. I blame the forums and KozmoNaut for it. Thankfully, shopping fancy gear in Norway is like thrift shopping with cheat codes. These were $6, and all in all my vintage stereo gear is less than $300.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

evobatman posted:

I picked up a pair of BeoVox 2700 at the flea markets today.

I definitively have developed some kind of problem. I blame the forums and KozmoNaut for it. Thankfully, shopping fancy gear in Norway is like thrift shopping with cheat codes. These were $6, and all in all my vintage stereo gear is less than $300.

gently caress you that's awesome

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I take absolutely no responsibility.

Nice speakers, by the way :)

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Well, my repair guy says it will be between $180 and $270 to fix my Yamaha CR-820. Shortly after powering up, it makes a 'click' sound from the unit itself, and the sound goes out. He believes there is a bad solder spot or something similar that is making "the safety kick it off". Problem is he does not know where the trouble spot is. And not surprisingly, the internals need a cleaning.

I do have $60 wrapped up in it for the bench fee, which he will apply to the total if I want to proceed. I guess even paying $270 would be about a working unit would cost on Ebay...but it is $270..

what do I do?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Learn to do it yourself :science:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Isn't that click supposed to happen? Like it only clicks if the checks it does are successful. At least that's what my Yamaha does.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's the relay. It should click on if everything is OK. Maybe it's clicking on, working for a bit, then clicking off?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

^ yeah that seems to be exactly what is happening. I think it boils down to never being cleaned and there is a short somewhere causing the safety to kill the sound.

So yeah, something that anyone with any electronics knowledge could probably fix

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 19, 2016

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Well it came to a total of $210 including the diagnostic fee and 2.5 hours of labor. That's fair to me, as I bought the unit at auction for either $5 or $10. There was one faulty ground and quite a few sketchy solder points where someone tried to fix it before. He also cleaned the switches and relays.

Next question, if I could pick up a set of used Vandersteen model 1 speakers for $225, would it be good deal? I know the speakers are internally mounted in some way, so I don't think visually inspecting them is possible (correct?) ,so is there anyway to tell if these things have been put threw the ringer?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

Next question, if I could pick up a set of used Vandersteen model 1 speakers for $225, would it be good deal? I know the speakers are internally mounted in some way, so I don't think visually inspecting them is possible (correct?) ,so is there anyway to tell if these things have been put threw the ringer?

Which version?

The 1b used foam surrounds, and at this point are old enough that I would be worried about the surrounds being rotted.

The newer 1c would be a pretty good deal for $225 if the required stands are included. I had a pair for 6 years, driven by a NAD C320BEE, which has pretty similar power output to your Yamaha. It was more than adequate to drive the speakers.

As for sound, the 1c is very neutral and natural sounding, provided that you're sitting within the expected listening window. They do not excel at low-level detail, and do not play particularly loud. Outside of orchestral and hard-rock pieces, I thought they handled most types of music well.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I picked up a set of Marantz Imperial 7 speakers at a garage sale today for $15:

Only to later learn that the woofers have been replaced with Pyle Driver speakers. They sound... ok I guess but not good compared to my JBL L56's. I imagine an original set of Imperial 7's would sound way better.

The mids are missing foam and are glued in. I would say it's worth it for the cabinets but they've been spraypainted black. All in all, not a very good purchase.

It also came with those RCA SPK 250s - which have been replaced with Roadmaster RSW80s. So yeah I bought two sets of middling car audio speakers in nice cabinets.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

evobatman posted:

Some deoxit, a new cartridge and a well written ad later, and it sold for $340.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

evobatman posted:

Some deoxit, a new cartridge and a well written ad later, and it sold for $340.

Nice.

I had to pack all my old stereo junk I wasn't using up and put it away so I had space for other things. I'd like to build a workshop this summer but I doubt it will happen.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Any advice for a fixing a stripped screw in a hard to reach area? The screw through the spindle chamber on my Pioneer is toast.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
I'm moving and I want to move my turntable setup into another room (right now it's running into the same receiver/speakers as my tv and all that).

I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with the speedbox thing. I think I am getting these bookshelf speakers (ELAC B6 Debuts - http://www.amazon.com/Debut-Series-Bookshelf-Speakers-Andrew/dp/B014GSEQ06 ) because I like how my full blown Andrew Jones setup sounds. But I need a little preamp or something for in between, and I don't want a full blown receiver that's just going to wire speakers for a turntable.

Are there any obvious standard recommendations in the < $200 range? Something on the physically smaller side would be better.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You need an integrated amp, a pre amp's not going to cut it. Does that turntable have an onboard phono preamp?

You can almost certainly get a used receiver for less than $200.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 28, 2016

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
Radio Shack used to have some very small integrated amplifiers with phono inputs but with a correspondingly limited power output (only like 3 watts). Should be very cheap used now. For more power and better design, try looking for Sony or Teac mini integrated amplifiers, there were several models about 9" wide with brushed aluminum faces that were made in the early 2000s.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Does that turntable have an onboard phono preamp?

It doesn't.

hedgecore posted:

But I need a little preamp or something for in between, and I don't want a full blown receiver that's just going to wire speakers for a turntable.

Are there any obvious standard recommendations in the < $200 range? Something on the physically smaller side would be better.

You need an amplifier of some sort to power the speakers, you goof. A preamp just brings a turntable cartridge's incredibly weak signal up to line-level strength, so that it matches that of other inputs like CD or tape players. You need both to be able to play a record through speakers or headphones.

You can go with something like a really small receiver/integrated amp/network amp, either vintage (more likely to have a built-in phono stage) or modern (more likely to need a separate pre-amp), or look at powered speakers that have the amplifier built in.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Oh duh. I knew that sounded too easy. Thanks for the full explanation.

I'll start shopping.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

hedgecore posted:

Oh duh. I knew that sounded too easy. Thanks for the full explanation.

I'll start shopping.

There's a lot of good stuff out there! Read the back catalog of this thread and the other major home audio ones. The information on some may be several years old at this point but the broad strokes will be the same, audio really hasn't changed much in principle since like ever- and that's especially true if you're looking at turntable+stereo.

Then maybe also read the OP of the vinyl thread in NMD, same rules apply. Then read Wirecutter reviews or peruse Craigslist/Audiokarma if you decide to go that route.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
When something this weird pops up, you just can't not get it. $40, works nicely, and appears to go for quite a pretty penny on eBay.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Nice! I've always wanted one of those.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

Got a U-Turn orbit basic from my wife for my birthday (along with the Grateful Dead album set).

Really sounds great for a $200 turntable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

evobatman posted:

When something this weird pops up, you just can't not get it. $40, works nicely, and appears to go for quite a pretty penny on eBay.

minivanmegafun posted:

Nice! I've always wanted one of those.

Ooh, me too.

uncle spero posted:

Got a U-Turn orbit basic from my wife for my birthday (along with the Grateful Dead album set).

Really sounds great for a $200 turntable.

That's a wack-rear end cartridge, replace it with this immediately.

I've owned both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That's a wack-rear end cartridge, replace it with this immediately.

I've owned both.

I do plan on a cartridge swap. I have heard good things about the AT95E. Thanks for the reco.