Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Perfect Element posted:

This is mind boggling. The vast majority of people have been to school until they were 16, and almost certainly at some point would have studied religion or wwii. People know what Jews and anti - semitism are. Jesus Christ.

I know Jesus was a Jew, but I didn't know he was an anti-Semite.

E: 150AD - civilization ends. (If you're a Mayan of the Middle Culture period.)

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Hoops posted:

, the most ludicrous thing I may have ever seen on the forums, and now it's been said by three people.

you should check out the human leg someone tried to cure in the charcuterie thread in GWS

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jose posted:

you should check out the human leg someone tried to cure in the charcuterie thread in GWS

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438423&pagenumber=29&perpage=40#post432200869

What the gently caress. They discuss it for a page or two, long enough to establish that yes, it is indeed a mouldy, part cured human leg, and then just go back to talking about bacon and cured duck and it's apparently never brought up again.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
That aint no human leg unless it's a loving hobbit leg. Look at the chopping board it's on and the carrier bag nearby. Look at the size of the knife marks on the chopping board. poo poo's tiny.

Also I'm p sure that's not what a femur would look like when projecting out the top of a thigh neatly severed straight across. Not that I'd know anything about dismembering people :tinfoil:

ee: MI5 note: I have literally never ever dismembered a human.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 30, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

That aint no human leg unless it's a loving hobbit leg. Look at the chopping board it's on and the carrier bag nearby. Look at the size of the knife marks on the chopping board. poo poo's tiny.

Also I'm p sure that's not what a femur would look like when projecting out the top of a thigh neatly severed straight across. Not that I'd know anything about dismembering people :tinfoil:

ee: MI5 note: I have literally never ever dismembered a human.

Could be a child! (:gonk:)

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I do find the whole antisemitism a bit weird from a personal perspective because not once in my life have I encountered any bigots mouthing off 'grrr the loving jews!' honestly. Beyond ww2 such people have not entered my awareness much at all. Plenty of 'grrr the loving niggers/chinks/pakis/non white people' but no grrr jews. Im reasonably sure I dont live in a total isolation unit, i didn't realize this was a massive thing in the UK. In fact id go so far as to say it isn't a massive thing in the UK and this is all a load of bollocks.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

I do find the whole antisemitism a bit weird from a personal perspective because not once in my life have I encountered any bigots mouthing off 'grrr the loving jews!' honestly. Beyond ww2 such people have not entered my awareness much at all. Plenty of 'grrr the loving niggers/chinks/pakis/non white people' but no grrr jews. Im reasonably sure I dont live in a total isolation unit, i didn't realize this was a massive thing in the UK. In fact id go so far as to say it isn't a massive thing in the UK and this is all a load of bollocks.

Not sure where to start with this post.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Seaside Loafer posted:

I've got a Pakistani friend who occasionally has to be reminded that no-one really wants to talk about the Jews with him. I think that antisemitism is more prevalent in certain communities and lots of mainstream brits don't see it because they aren't exposed to those communities.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Seaside Loafer posted:

This was kind of my point. I don't live in isolation, and I can count on one hand the number of Jewish Brits I've met, let alone anti-Semites. It's entirely possible to have only encountered anti-Semitism in media, which of course some people opt out of. As for education, exposure doesn't mean people are going to remember or care, especially now kids have no living relatives that fought in WW2.

The other argument is a sematic one. I'm not saying people don't know what a Jew is, I'm saying they don't know what the word Semite means.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Yes because outside of the obvious actual fascist NF type groups actual anti-Semitism is fairly uncommon in the UK today but claiming it is a very useful rhetorical trick for those who want to legitimise Israeli politics. It's the purest dog whistle there is.

E: ok didn't consider communities beyond my own where it may be more prevalent, my bad.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Ken's doubling down on LBC rn according to the graun.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

https://twitter.com/iucounu/status/725624520791478272

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you really want to see Jews in the wild head down to Golders Green. They're the ones who look like a ZZ Top tribute act.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

e: ^ if they actually perform and have spinning guitars im there

ThomasPaine posted:

E: ok didn't consider communities beyond my own where it may be more prevalent, my bad.
Yeah me too I guess.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Oberleutnant posted:

Ken's doubling down on LBC rn according to the graun.

ffs does he not understand the damage he's doing?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/Gillian_Philip/status/726299306865623044

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

simon schama is a wanker imo

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
They're going to have to kick Livingstone out of the party at this point...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This is still going on?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Namtab posted:

This is still going on?

ken livingstone is incapable of shutting the gently caress up so of course it is

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Phoon posted:

simon schama is a wanker imo

As far as old male TV historians go, he's lightyears ahead of David Starkey at least.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Jose posted:

ken livingstone is incapable of shutting the gently caress up so of course it is

I was referring more to the discussion about anti semitism and the difference between that and Zionism which I thought we locked down two days ago.

Any news about doctors strikes?

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Seaside Loafer posted:

When I was at university, an older mate of my housemate took me aside all fatherly-like and told me "you want to look out for them" - nodding towards my stereotypically Jewish-looking study partner - "they look after their own". Joke's on him, I'm Jewish too!

Islamophobia is more prevalent at the moment for obvious reasons, and it takes more obvious forms ("loving Muslims coming over here raping our girls", etc) but antisemitism is arguably more insidious because it's just so entrenched and accepted. Ask most people what they know about Jews and you'll hear how they're very good at business, careful with money, etc, which people will tell you are compliments but are actually just modern palatable versions of centuries-old Jewish stereotypes - Jews take over all the businesses, Jews run the media, Jews are stingy, Jews only help themselves or each other and so on.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Israeli (far-)right also love the idea that all anti-Zionism is opposition to the very existence of Israel, as opposed to the concept of a genocidal semi-theocracy.

I imagine there's a lot of nuance and probably just common sense being lost in Israeli politics now that the majority of people are Israeli-born instead of having experience of the pogroms and genocides of the early 20th century.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Namtab posted:

I was referring more to the discussion about anti semitism and the difference between that and Zionism which I thought we locked down two days ago.

Any news about doctors strikes?

The what? Haven't you heard that Labour is anti-Semitic and Corbyn is a terrible person. There is no other news!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

When I was at university, an older mate of my housemate took me aside all fatherly-like and told me "you want to look out for them" - nodding towards my stereotypically Jewish-looking study partner - "they look after their own". Joke's on him, I'm Jewish too!

Islamophobia is more prevalent at the moment for obvious reasons, and it takes more obvious forms ("loving Muslims coming over here raping our girls", etc) but antisemitism is arguably more insidious because it's just so entrenched and accepted. Ask most people what they know about Jews and you'll hear how they're very good at business, careful with money, etc, which people will tell you are compliments but are actually just modern palatable versions of centuries-old Jewish stereotypes - Jews take over all the businesses, Jews run the media, Jews are stingy, Jews only help themselves or each other and so on.

They wear funny hats and don't like cheeseburgers?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

TinTower posted:

The Israeli (far-)right also love the idea that all anti-Zionism is opposition to the very existence of Israel, as opposed to the concept of a genocidal semi-theocracy.

I imagine there's a lot of nuance and probably just common sense being lost in Israeli politics now that the majority of people are Israeli-born instead of having experience of the pogroms and genocides of the early 20th century.

Given the single largest demographic in Israel are the secular Jews, it always surprises me how much they punch below their weight when determining the future course of Israel.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Ive honestly never really heard it in real life apart from self-deprecating american jewish comedians doing it in a meta way thereby mocking whatever bigots actually think this.

Oh I did just remember mel gibson and his dad though hehe

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/campbellclaret/status/726366351317696513

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

I hate to be this sort of person, and whilst I feel like I'm well read on such ingrained stereotyping of the Jewish faith/people, this certainly hasn't been a good week for dispelling the "Jews run the media" myth. And I say this in spite of the many years of awful negative coverage that Ed Milliband got.

EDIT: again though, it certainly doesn't help that BBC News had an awful interview yesterday afternoon with the head/representative of the group "Jews for Jeremy", and then the interviewer spent all of it trying to put words in his mouth, before using none of the footage at the 6pm news bit.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I feel dirty saying it but I agree with Alistair Campbell. Ken is fast approaching George Galloway territory for just sheer wingnuttery.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Chocolate Teapot posted:

I hate to be this sort of person, and whilst I feel like I'm well read on such ingrained stereotyping of the Jewish faith/people, this certainly hasn't been a good week for dispelling the "Jews run the media" myth. And I say this in spite of the many years of awful negative coverage that Ed Milliband got.

EDIT: again though, it certainly doesn't help that BBC News had an awful interview yesterday afternoon with the head/representative of the group "Jews for Jeremy", and then the interviewer spent all of it trying to put words in his mouth, before using none of the footage at the 6pm news bit.
Oh please this has been a right wing cunts run the media week

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pesmerga posted:

They're going to have to kick Livingstone out of the party at this point...

How long does it take them to make a decision on this kind of thing? Simon Danczuk's been suspended from the party for going on four months now without any update and while leaving Danczuk in limbo is probably the best course of action, I'm sure Labour want this cleared up as soon as possible.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

How long does it take them to make a decision on this kind of thing? Simon Danczuk's been suspended from the party for going on four months now without any update and while leaving Danczuk in limbo is probably the best course of action, I'm sure Labour want this cleared up as soon as possible.

Apparently the committee meet in July.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Prince John posted:

Given the single largest demographic in Israel are the secular Jews, it always surprises me how much they punch below their weight when determining the future course of Israel.

Perhaps it's like with young people in the UK: settlers and ultra-orthodox jews always turn out to vote, while secular jews are more apathetic?*

*I have zero knowledge of actual Israeli voting demographics

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmegin posted:

Could be a child! (:gonk:)

Charcuterie, not Charcutory.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bear in mind that Likud only took something like 25% of the vote and it looked like they might not have actually been able to form a government for a while.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden
I don't think there's a Blairite plot right now. I *do* think there's a Tory/Paul Staines plot to take advantage of mouthy backbenchers who love to stick the knife in and Ken Livingstone's inability to keep his trap shut. As I said earlier, no coincidence this happened just as the Tories are at their weakest.

Also, Ken Livingstone's intransigence stands in stark contrast to Naz Shah's apology, which I don't think she got enough credit for.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Chocolate Teapot posted:

What exactly about this week has reaffirmed the "Jews run the media" stereotype? Does it surprise you that a lot of Jewish groups are being invited to air their views on a significant political figure claiming that Hitler was a Zionist? Though I'm sure he didn't mean them to, Livingstone's comments flew dangerously close to the "Jews should love Hitler, he got them what they wanted all along" trope that extremists love to trot out. Jewish groups are going to have a view on those words coming out of the mouth of a member of the Leader of the Opposition's inner circle.

Most of the manufactured outrage has come from Cameron and his mates Murdoch and Dacre, none of whom are Jewish as far as I'm aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

What exactly about this week has reaffirmed the "Jews run the media" stereotype? Does it surprise you that a lot of Jewish groups are being invited to air their views on a significant political figure claiming that Hitler was a Zionist? Though I'm sure he didn't mean them to, Livingstone's comments flew dangerously close to the "Jews should love Hitler, he got them what they wanted all along" trope that extremists love to trot out. Jewish groups are going to have a view on those words coming out of the mouth of a member of the Leader of the Opposition's inner circle.

Most of the manufactured outrage has come from Cameron and his mates Murdoch and Dacre, none of whom are Jewish as far as I'm aware.

I totally understand, it's just that somehow* this story is taking precedence over some phenomonally massive stories in the last week, which I feel bolsters such a negative stereotype.

*absurdly right-wing media looking to take attention away from Conservative gently caress-ups

• Locked thread