Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Anyone seen this? It's a medieval skirmish campaign game based on FiveCore rules. From the blurb:

"Chevauchee takes the familiar, fast-moving engine from FiveCore and adapts it to medieval skirmish warfare. Features include:

*Warband level gameplay where you can get to know each member of your army.
*Simple D6-based combat mechanics that combine morale and injury into a single roll.
*Systems to build almost any medieval (or fantasy) weapon you can think of.
*Full detailed campaign rules letting you follow a warband across multiple encounters and random events.
*Random character creation providing you with a strong roleplaying element.
*Character skills, letting each individual be a unique contributor to your noble crusade.. or petty thievery.
*The "Fief" campaign, letting you run your own petty domain. Hope the peasants aren't too revolting!"

I like Nordic Weasel's other campaign rules but they're all set in fairly modern or future wars, so I figured I'd give this one a read. I already have enough figures to field 2 forces lying around, so I may actually get to play this one.
:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That looks interesting. Kind of getting the urge to do it in 15mm with some old Crusader minis I have floating around.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

lilljonas posted:

Does anyone here have experience of V&V miniatures? I'm working on some Viking warbands for our homebrew game, and they have a few options that I can't build from the Gripping Beast boxes. I found them by googling for viking minis, but I've never heard of them before.

http://vminiatures.com/28-mm/vikings/

I'm interested in hearing any comments too. They post on fb all the time and have some beautiful models.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Time to start a napoleonic force for SP2 with these Perry plastic French I have lying around

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not having read the rules fully, what is the problem with Soviets in TY? At a glance, they seem ok...

People keep forgetting that BF has on numerous times said that the skill rating in Flames of war had little to do with how long a unit had been serving in the war but was based on their evaluation of how how effective that unit was (during the period covered by whatever book they were in) and how the units training and doctrine effected how many losses they took during their operations (Since skill was also how your to hit roll was determined). So if a unit took horrible losses you could expect it to get rated as Trained in the current FoW System.

Its obvious that people are going to disagree with BF about how they rated some units (And no this wasn't just about Soviets) but a lot of people took it too far and kind of regarded it as a personal slight to themselves/their country/etc... because they couldn't get past the terminology used (Veteran vs Trained, Fearless vs Reluctant)and the discussion about it got very heated.

This is at least partly why in Team Yankee there are now six ratings instead of two and they just use numbers.

As far as Team Yankee Soviets go a lot of guys just looked at the "is hit on" number and assumed the worst of BF. Lots of people looked at some random bit of info about TY (the T-72 RoF was another big one that turned out to be a lot of crying about nothing) and projected all their fears and hatreds on it before the game was even released. A lot of that is still floating around.

But Team Yankee is probably the first instance where they made good on their promise to really put effort into the Soviet Forces and it shows. For one their logic for the +3 to hit for Soviets is solidly grounded and its not really been controversial even on the official forums (which normally are a cesspit of trolling cry-baby grogs) because of it. The second is that its becoming clear to many that the far more important stat to have a good number in is not the to hit roll, but the morale roll. And in that match up the Soviets have the clear advantage.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

lilljonas posted:

Does anyone here have experience of V&V miniatures? I'm working on some Viking warbands for our homebrew game, and they have a few options that I can't build from the Gripping Beast boxes. I found them by googling for viking minis, but I've never heard of them before.

http://vminiatures.com/28-mm/vikings/

I have the Jarl model, I didn't know what company it was from because these guys used to sell on eBay without a company name or anything associated with them. It's sculpted OK, there are some annoying sculpting shortcuts which I am sure you are aware of if you've ever bought random small production minis (stuff like lack of depth on sleeves and the like). Casting quality was average, no bubbles but not as good as a lot of companies resin stuff. It's pretty obvious that they are using 3D printed masters that have been slightly customized with hand sculpting as well, so they have the Malifaux issue where it's pretty obvious when a bunch of the same guys use the exact same skeleton and therefor have surgically identical bodily proportions. Way better than the WGF guys, not as good as the GB plastics.

Also their miniatures are WAY too 5th ed Warhammer to mix with any other ones, but Celtos has really good Iron Age/Viking Age shield packs if you're looking to customize stuff or ad variety.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
You've reminded me I need to build and paint by Brother Vinni Ragnar Lothbrok model that arrived last May when I was in a coma lol.

Hint - prepare for a world of wtf if you go check Brother Vinnis website.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Serotonin posted:

You've reminded me I need to build and paint by Brother Vinni Ragnar Lothbrok model that arrived last May when I was in a coma lol.

Hint - prepare for a world of wtf if you go check Brother Vinnis website.
:siren: DO NOT DO THIS AT WORK :siren:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lmao yeah really don't. Shame coz the Ragnar model is amazing. Perfect likeness of Tv character.

Haha fuvk I had a look at their categories and man they are bad. Victim Girls. A weirdly specific one called Naked Ukrainian girl captive. I really don't want to know

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 30, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Numlock posted:

People keep forgetting that BF has on numerous times said that the skill rating in Flames of war had little to do with how long a unit had been serving in the war but was based on their evaluation of how how effective that unit was (during the period covered by whatever book they were in) and how the units training and doctrine effected how many losses they took during their operations (Since skill was also how your to hit roll was determined). So if a unit took horrible losses you could expect it to get rated as Trained in the current FoW System.

Its obvious that people are going to disagree with BF about how they rated some units (And no this wasn't just about Soviets) but a lot of people took it too far and kind of regarded it as a personal slight to themselves/their country/etc... because they couldn't get past the terminology used (Veteran vs Trained, Fearless vs Reluctant)and the discussion about it got very heated.

This is at least partly why in Team Yankee there are now six ratings instead of two and they just use numbers.

As far as Team Yankee Soviets go a lot of guys just looked at the "is hit on" number and assumed the worst of BF. Lots of people looked at some random bit of info about TY (the T-72 RoF was another big one that turned out to be a lot of crying about nothing) and projected all their fears and hatreds on it before the game was even released. A lot of that is still floating around.

But Team Yankee is probably the first instance where they made good on their promise to really put effort into the Soviet Forces and it shows. For one their logic for the +3 to hit for Soviets is solidly grounded and its not really been controversial even on the official forums (which normally are a cesspit of trolling cry-baby grogs) because of it. The second is that its becoming clear to many that the far more important stat to have a good number in is not the to hit roll, but the morale roll. And in that match up the Soviets have the clear advantage.

Inflammatory tone aside, it's hard to accept that over four years of fighting across a few thousand miles of front they were completely unable to identify any units that didn't fit into their two-tier red army/guards training scheme. It's not just the terminology used, it's the lack of effort that goes into soviets. And it's also not about how strong they are: Soviets tend to hold their own just fine and are certainly not minor-nations bad, but they're completely undersold compared to anything that fought in the west.

That said, yeah. The soviets in TY are a fairly good representation; if anything, it's a little too kind, since my memory of the period suggests morale at the time was quite bad. Maybe the hardliners who altered history in TY have awesome motivational speeches?

Serotonin posted:

Lmao yeah really don't. Shame coz the Ragnar model is amazing. Perfect likeness of Tv character.

Haha fuvk I had a look at their categories and man they are bad. Victim Girls. A weirdly specific one called Naked Ukrainian girl captive. I really don't want to know

You can choose whether or not to mouseover. She's a naked slavegirl version of an pro-european, pro-NATO Ukranian prime minister, Yulia Tymoshenko. She was also part of the Orange Revolution. I leave it as an exercise to the reader why that made her good model fodder.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 30, 2016

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I've seen guys mention that BF are planning releases of BAOR and both East and West Germans. Is there a schedule or preview pics of these?

Their site is awful to navigate and I couldn't see anything on a quick Google search except for a few guys homebrews.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I want to see some East Germans with T-55s.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

BeigeJacket posted:

I've seen guys mention that BF are planning releases of BAOR and both East and West Germans. Is there a schedule or preview pics of these?

Their site is awful to navigate and I couldn't see anything on a quick Google search except for a few guys homebrews.

We got a "Hint" that they had Brits and West Germans in the running but nothing specific (the hint was a picture of a Challenger with Thatcher in it and a Lynx, so it was fairly direct). No word on East Germans though.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

VacuumJockey posted:

Anyone seen this? It's a medieval skirmish campaign game based on FiveCore rules.
Gee thanks, now I'm looking at Perrys' plastic medieval line.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

spectralent posted:

Inflammatory tone aside, it's hard to accept that over four years of fighting across a few thousand miles of front they were completely unable to identify any units that didn't fit into their two-tier red army/guards training scheme. It's not just the terminology used, it's the lack of effort that goes into soviets. And it's also not about how strong they are: Soviets tend to hold their own just fine and are certainly not minor-nations bad, but they're completely undersold compared to anything that fought in the west.

I wasn't putting BF on a pedestal, though I'm not sympathetic to the guys that want more special rules, more heros and snowflake lists in FoW because I think they are the main problems with FoW at the moment. If I was making v4 of the FoW rules all the nations would be like the soviets are now in that game, not the other way around.

This is also why I have a huge boner for Team Yankee right now.

BeigeJacket posted:

West Germans and BAOR supposedly out by the end of this year (this is from BF), no there are no official (or otherwise) previews of them currently.

Scuttlebutt is that West Germans will be released by the end of the summer as they needed less models done for their initial release (some overlap with existing US range). So we are expecting previews soon for them. BOAR is firmly in the "Christmas if you are lucky" zone.

Only other info out is that Bradly's are "Soon", no other word on future releases for Soviets but presumably there will be.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Numlock posted:

I wasn't putting BF on a pedestal, though I'm not sympathetic to the guys that want more special rules, more heros and snowflake lists in FoW because I think they are the main problems with FoW at the moment. If I was making v4 of the FoW rules all the nations would be like the soviets are now in that game, not the other way around.

I mean, that's fair, but there's a pretty clear difference between how the soviets have been written versus every other major power. The type of game they've made is the game they've made, and it's very conspicuously not that way for the soviets.

quote:

West Germans and BAOR supposedly out by the end of this year (this is from BF), no there are no official (or otherwise) previews of them currently.

Scuttlebutt is that West Germans will be released by the end of the summer as they needed less models done for their initial release (some overlap with existing US range). So we are expecting previews soon for them. BOAR is firmly in the "Christmas if you are lucky" zone.

Only other info out is that Bradly's are "Soon", no other word on future releases for Soviets but presumably there will be.

Soviets are getting (got?) the hind landing company release, which is admittedly only a set of cards, but still. Preliminary club results are that it eats Abrams companies alive.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

spectralent posted:

You can choose whether or not to mouseover. She's a naked slavegirl version of an pro-european, pro-NATO Ukranian prime minister, Yulia Tymoshenko. She was also part of the Orange Revolution. I leave it as an exercise to the reader why that made her good model fodder.

Omg

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Russians are well-known for the national pride and lack of subtlety. But I guess everyone itt already knows that.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

krushgroove posted:

Russians are well-known for the national pride and lack of subtlety. But I guess everyone itt already knows that.

There's something special about making a model of a politician you don't like that depicts her stripped and enslaved, though. That's kind of it's own level above some "Oorah, best in the world!" type nonsense.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Btw; is it worth getting in touch with BF about the missing card from a box of BMPs? It seems kind of overkill for a single handy, but non-essential stat card, on the other hand WHERES MY loving CARD.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

spectralent posted:

There's something special about making a model of a politician you don't like that depicts her stripped and enslaved, though. That's kind of it's own level above some "Oorah, best in the world!" type nonsense.

It made me hesitant when I bought the Ragnar figure, because I wasn't sure I wanted to support that. But I bought it for my wife as a Chanukah gift, she loves Vikings and Travis Fimmel, so that overrode my disgust at his other figures (and that one in particular).

BeigeJacket posted:

Btw; is it worth getting in touch with BF about the missing card from a box of BMPs? It seems kind of overkill for a single handy, but non-essential stat card, on the other hand WHERES MY loving CARD.

Yes. They're actually really great about that. Back when the starter kits had Stugs, the skirts would frequently break, and I got like 3 replacements from them.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I picked up a box of warlord continental infantry and hessians. I already have the muskets and tomahawks rules, though I think the system benefits from a variety of unit types because of the activation cards.
Now I need to paint uniforms.

Is there a good resource for loyalist and traitor uniforms from AWI?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

berzerkmonkey posted:

I was just giving you a hard time with the 40K IG stuff. Personally, I think some of it comes down to a certain style that people expect - people expect Soviets to play as horde armies, and that's what they want to see.

Not having read the rules fully, what is the problem with Soviets in TY? At a glance, they seem ok...

Whats wrong with TY soviets?

Super stereotyped whig history portrayal. Hordes of conscripts being thrown away for nothing. Depicting soviets as an inert and incompetant fighting force with no tactics

Basically portrays tbem stereotyped and negative because reasons

I like TY. I even have a motor rifle coy. But im so tired of the "small but elite and advanced NATO forces vs. The eastern slav horde"

Its obvi not that bad but still.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 30, 2016

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

I picked up a box of warlord continental infantry and hessians. I already have the muskets and tomahawks rules, though I think the system benefits from a variety of unit types because of the activation cards.

Don Troiani is a fantastic modern artist you can use as a resource, I think you should be able to find a AWI gallery if you poke around.

Also I hope this doesnt qualify as :filez: (I'll take it down if so), but here's the insert that comes with the perry plastics

http://imgur.com/D6SCr5K

http://imgur.com/OFycp5a

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 30, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

This is probably true of the book but isn't really accurate for their in-game stats. They've got a worse to hit value and worse skill, sure, but they're representing a large army with mandatory service rather than a small volunteer army. Practically, they're very efficient: High morale makes them much better at aggressive pushes and tenacious on the tabletop. It's still got the "Battalion not company" thing going on, I guess, but the force orgs now are a lot more ad-hoc.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Thundercloud posted:

Osprey, always Osprey.

But you can also just ask me.

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Don Troiani is a fantastic modern artist you can use as a resource, I think you should be able to find a AWI gallery if you poke around.

I know a lot of the people he's used for models.

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich

Siivola posted:

Gee thanks, now I'm looking at Perrys' plastic medieval line.
Hey, don't blame me - you're the one with good taste!

You can put together a complete 15-man warband with mounted retainers for less than 10 quid at 15mm.co.uk - and probably a few other places too. Warband/skirmish games are fairly cheap to get into - it's when you're bitten by the collector bug things get out of hand... :0

(Not that I would know)

Edit: Uh yeah, obviously I'm talking about 15 mm while you're talking 28 mm, so there's that.

VacuumJockey fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 30, 2016

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

spectralent posted:

That said, yeah. The soviets in TY are a fairly good representation; if anything, it's a little too kind, since my memory of the period suggests morale at the time was quite bad. Maybe the hardliners who altered history in TY have awesome motivational speeches?

Jesus. I regret giving him money now

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

spectralent posted:

This is probably true of the book but isn't really accurate for their in-game stats. They've got a worse to hit value and worse skill, sure, but they're representing a large army with mandatory service rather than a small volunteer army. Practically, they're very efficient: High morale makes them much better at aggressive pushes and tenacious on the tabletop. It's still got the "Battalion not company" thing going on, I guess, but the force orgs now are a lot more ad-hoc.

Yea that blurb in the rules "soviets need a whole company for what NATO uses a platoon!" Was kinda bs

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Thundercloud posted:

Here's the start of my force and Batman .

I base coated them Vallejo Game Air Ultramarine blue, then highlighted Vallejo GA Magic Blue ( with an airbrush ) then washed with GW Asurmen Blue. Looks ok to me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Lately I've been feeling the siren's song that is 6mm minis. But I can't decide what era or rules.

Serotonin posted:

The Batman leading some Revolutionary War dudes
Probably not the first time that has happened.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Probably not the first time that has happened.

I'm beginning to think a cross over is in order

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Phi230 posted:

Yea that blurb in the rules "soviets need a whole company for what NATO uses a platoon!" Was kinda bs

While I'm not the biggest fan of the soviet company-platoon, I don't think that was quite as intended. I think it's less "The soviets are incompetent and need more men to stand a chance", but more "The soviets mass more troops to ensure they win". It's known that you need a lot more men on the offensive than you do the defensive, so I read that as "Soviets organise for attack".

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

spectralent posted:

While I'm not the biggest fan of the soviet company-platoon, I don't think that was quite as intended. I think it's less "The soviets are incompetent and need more men to stand a chance", but more "The soviets mass more troops to ensure they win". It's known that you need a lot more men on the offensive than you do the defensive, so I read that as "Soviets organise for attack".

Fair enough. But I still have to paint 79 little khaki men

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Here's the start of my force and Batman .

I base coated them Vallejo Game Air Ultramarine blue, then highlighted Vallejo GA Magic Blue ( with an airbrush ) then washed with GW Asurmen Blue. Looks ok to me.

Where'd you buy the movement trays? Are the individuals on 20mm or 25mm rounds?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Phi230 posted:

Fair enough. But I still have to paint 79 little khaki men

The amount of dudes for motostrelk is insane, no argument.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Where'd you buy the movement trays? Are the individuals on 20mm or 25mm rounds?

They are actually GW War of the Ring trays. They are temporary ones as they are a little thick for my liking. The minis are based on 25mm Renedra plastic rounds.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

spectralent posted:

The amount of dudes for motostrelk is insane, no argument.

I wish we had more than BMP 1s and 2s.

BTR 60/70/80 or BRDM. Maybe some GAZs and UAZs and URALS.

the main reason I didnt go USA was no bradleys or hmmvs

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Numlock posted:

I think the argument being made for Soviet players isn't the desire for more special rules (as though there weren't enough of those already, and I agree that needs to be trimmed), but rather the "here are some actual named units that actually fought in this battle" which every other nation gets.

But maybe I'll pick up the Team Yankee book when I go stateside in a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'm surprised that even FFOT has the same distinction for the West/Soviet and Third World forces.

On the other hand, if you're trying to get a filthy casual into a historical game, it's helpful to have a gimmick. No surprise that BA is less popular than FoW: BA has very little special gimmicks, to the point where I only remember +1 to LMG rate Germans and something like fieldcraft for tiny minors nobody gives a poo poo.

Grogs need less gimmick because we already have a lovely, fluffy scenario is our minds or we love the faction/time span or something, else nobody would play Black Powder.

...then some idiot chimes in that BALT OCTION IS A TORNAMENT GAEM and that if you're not running assault rifle vets you're playing it wrong.