Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

100% stun combo, on cammy, that uses no meter. Of course the setup is completely unrealistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8f053gULCQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

3 times slower than what? Vegas st.hk is 11 frames, Ryus is 10.

He's comparing SF4 to SF5. Vega st.hk is 4 frames in SF4. He just worded things weird.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
It was more like 7-ish frames because it was 2 hits and the first hit wasn't anti-airing anybody. The hitbox was also garbage and in SF5 it's decent, along with jumpins having universally terrible hitboxes.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

i count frames

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Five years in this vital industry of the fighting games and I still can't do charge bullshit. Freakin' stupid fingers. Guile feels somewhat strong tho, he hits like a grown man when he gets in and he can actually zone! Can't wait until a good Guile player shows up and bores all the stream monsters to death.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

His good matchups are okay, and his bad matchups are very, very bad. I'm still gonna main Vega, I just figure to be in the Dan zone for now.

I found out that for some matchups (like Laura for example), running in clawless mode helps Vega a whole bunch.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

StabMasterArson posted:

I'm bad at this game and it is frustrating that I can't just play against the computer and am forced to fight online spergs who destroy me even at bronze rank. Getting pummelled to death in every match doesn't particularly teach me anything
nothing in the game will actively teach you... you have to make that effort in learning yourself. and if you care about it at all the cpu is the worst opponent to use as a learning aide

ElmerTheWasabi
Dec 3, 2004

Zand posted:

nothing in the game will actively teach you... you have to make that effort in learning yourself. and if you care about it at all the cpu is the worst opponent to use as a learning aide

Pretty much this. I was getting bopped a lot during the first month, and while I'm still not great, I've gotten better this last week by being more critical of my own play and trying to find when my turn actually is rather than just trying to do whatever I want.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

StabMasterArson posted:

I'm bad at this game and it is frustrating that I can't just play against the computer and am forced to fight online spergs who destroy me even at bronze rank. Getting pummelled to death in every match doesn't particularly teach me anything

i am become online sperg

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

StabMasterArson posted:

Winning doesn't necessarily teach you anything, but you can learn from your losses. Maybe post a replay?

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I guess somebody tested the rage quitting penalty and it locks you out of the game for two hours. Still needs to deduct/grant points but that is a little better than I thought they would do.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

InnercityGriot posted:

I guess somebody tested the rage quitting penalty and it locks you out of the game for two hours. Still needs to deduct/grant points but that is a little better than I thought they would do.

The video says you apparently get the win/points if your opponent disconnects so that's something

On the other hand it takes 4 disconnects to trigger the timeout so I dunno if that's really gonna stop anyone

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

The video says you apparently get the win/points if your opponent disconnects so that's something

On the other hand it takes 4 disconnects to trigger the timeout so I dunno if that's really gonna stop anyone

At least from the perspective of the other player they get a win so that's gonna make it way less frustrating to experience.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/GroovyMango_/status/726176659771146244

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Jack Trades posted:

I found out that for some matchups (like Laura for example), running in clawless mode helps Vega a whole bunch.

Clawless is better than claw in every match except vs zangief and the mirror.

*ed*

Seriously if you wanna stick with Vega, make clawless your top priority its sadly basically nearly strictly superior to claw.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 30, 2016

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I like claw's visual design and animation a lot, but I feel that the stance-switch doesn't do much other than make him harder to play, I feel like if he had both stance's moves all the time he wouldn't even be all that much better. He still wouldn't be able to AA anything.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If you can force someone to block a vskilled jab boom on wakeup in the corner, is Guile + frames on a raw jumpin in the corner?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I have no loving idea what I'm supposed to do against Dhalsim's cr. lk (I think) slide. It comes out so fast that he can do it immediately after blocking a poke, it has huge range, it puts him right up in my face so I'm immediately forced to guess on whether he's jabbing again or throwing, and the only thing I (as Vega) can seem to do with it is get out of the way which lets Dhalsim play range exactly like he loving wants to.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Dracula Factory posted:

I like claw's visual design and animation a lot, but I feel that the stance-switch doesn't do much other than make him harder to play, I feel like if he had both stance's moves all the time he wouldn't even be all that much better. He still wouldn't be able to AA anything.

I agree with that but to focus on the AA constantly is bleh. His j.mk is basically the best air to air normal in the game you just have to be super on the ball, not every character has to be great at everything.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Spiritus Nox posted:

I have no loving idea what I'm supposed to do against Dhalsim's cr. lk (I think) slide. It comes out so fast that he can do it immediately after blocking a poke, it has huge range, it puts him right up in my face so I'm immediately forced to guess on whether he's jabbing again or throwing, and the only thing I (as Vega) can seem to do with it is get out of the way which lets Dhalsim play range exactly like he loving wants to.

Cr lk for dhalsim is negative on HIT, let alone being minus a billion on block. As soon as you get hit or block it just hit a jab, unless he counterhit you there is no move he has that can beat you. Its simply just a test of reaction.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's never better than -1 on block, press st. lk.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

It's never better than -1 on block, press st. lk.

I'll keep it in mind.

Speaking of standing jabs - what sort of situations do I want to use Vega's st. lp. in? Both of his crouching jabs are fine for poking people and chaining into his roll, and his standing lk seems nice for jabbing when my opponent isn't expecting it, but people in this game spend so much time crouching that 90 percent of my st. lps. just go straight over their heads. Doesn't seem like a good fit for poking people out of the air either.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'll keep it in mind.

Speaking of standing jabs - what sort of situations do I want to use Vega's st. lp. in? Both of his crouching jabs are fine for poking people and chaining into his roll, and his standing lk seems nice for jabbing when my opponent isn't expecting it, but people in this game spend so much time crouching that 90 percent of my st. lps. just go straight over their heads. Doesn't seem like a good fit for poking people out of the air either.

A good meterless claw on combo vega has is st. hp (forces stand) linked into st lap cancelled into mp aurora. Unlike the claw switch combo, it forces knockdown and does more damage than the target combo.

It's pretty bad, though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

A good meterless claw on combo vega has is st. hp (forces stand) linked into st lap cancelled into mp aurora. Unlike the claw switch combo, it forces knockdown and does more damage than the target combo.

It's pretty bad, though.

Mm. Didn't know you could jab out of the heavy slash, though. Could be more handy for mixup tick throws than for the combo.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Mm. Didn't know you could jab out of the heavy slash, though. Could be more handy for mixup tick throws than for the combo.

It's only worthwhile in a combo, otherwise they can just duck under it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Why is it considered a rage quit if I close the game after the deciding round is over, the victory music has started playing, my opponent is doing their victory pose, and "YOU LOSE" is sitting in bold on the screen? What data could the server possibly still need from me at that point?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

Why is it considered a rage quit if I close the game after the deciding round is over, the victory music has started playing, my opponent is doing their victory pose, and "YOU LOSE" is sitting in bold on the screen? What data could the server possibly still need from me at that point?

i'm glad the win screen is almost as long as the time it takes to get into a match.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

A loser should be forced to stew in their inferior manliness, choking back impotent salty tears. Accepting defeat and shame is part of the process of evolving into a FIGHTING GAME PLAYER.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Easy operation

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
https://i.imgur.com/GKnYPuW.webm

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/kindevu/status/725920129444237313

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'll keep it in mind.

If they try to do a very close range cross-up on you, you can walk forward (so that the cross-up misses) and hit them with a st.lp.

Evil Canadian posted:

Clawless is better than claw in every match except vs zangief and the mirror.

*ed*

Seriously if you wanna stick with Vega, make clawless your top priority its sadly basically nearly strictly superior to claw.

I'm not so sure. I always used to play SF4 Vega incredibly lame, focusing on pokes and punishes primarily, and in SFV claw st.mp is the the only good poke Vega really had anymore.

I dunno, maybe SFV isn't not the same character anymore and I'm playing him all wrong.

EDIT: I wish they just added Cody to SFV. Then I wouldn't have to deal with this character crisis anymore.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 30, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
SFV Vega isn't Vega. He's a new chararacter, playwise.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Vega is a weird-rear end character in V. He has his two modes but it seems like you'd rather be clawless most of the time, you'd think his gameplan is to poke and be a lame rear end in a top hat like SF4 Vega, but he's actually more of a pressure character, except he's not as good as it as other characters that have more reliable options in neutral to boot...I don't get him.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

to prove I'm not lying:

https://youtu.be/lP4RgKRAlZ0

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any reason to use st.hp - st.lp like that when you might as well do the st.hp - Stance Switch - cr.mp instead?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

Is there any reason to use st.hp - st.lp like that when you might as well do the st.hp - Stance Switch - cr.mp instead?

Raw s.HP is -2 on block and s.HP xx stance is -4 i believe, so that's something

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Hey jmcrofts are you going to make any more guide videos? They're good. Thanks

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

dhamster posted:

Hey jmcrofts are you going to make any more guide videos? They're good. Thanks

Hopefully more soon. I've been taking a break due to being really busy with real life stuff. I'm pretty hype for guile so that should be a good reason to get back into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Meterless knockdown, and it doesn't take off your claw if you want to keep it on. Other than that, sure, go for the stance switch.

Also, if you're hit confirming into Critical art, st. HP>ASE>CA does more damage than any possible claw switch confirm into CA that doesn't involve v trigger.