Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

MollyMetroid posted:

Oh we're posting our shelves? I need to catch up on the FFG Star Wars. The way the shelf is built, I also ended up splitting Saga off for space reasons.

:eyepop:

I've got a similar stack of 4E books I'm working on selling now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

MollyMetroid posted:

Oh we're posting our shelves? I need to catch up on the FFG Star Wars. The way the shelf is built, I also ended up splitting Saga off for space reasons.

She cannae take anymore o' the pressure, captain!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

jivjov posted:

There's nothing wrong with them?
The big "Doctor Who" on the spines is broken by some random book.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Siivola posted:

The big "Doctor Who" on the spines is broken by some random book.

That's the limited edition anniversary rulebook; it's got the War Doctor on the spine, so i slotted it in between 8 and 9. Him breaking up the logo is thematically appropriate!

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
Can I get some help building a concept. We're mixing books so anything goes in pulling this off.

So the idea was the party is trying to smuggle some Khyber Crystals off an imperial controlled planet. My new PC is an Imperial VICE agent who's going to tag them for some other crimes (my previous PC was basically David Attenbrough with a lightsaber, so they were using crates of Kyrat Dragon Guano to keep contraband in something too gross for customs to want to inspect). New PC is actually a rebel sleeper agent. GM OKed whatever random perks I can get for being out of jurisdiction, so I can swing the cop part fine, but I was trying to figure out what's best for building the undercover agent.

Spy seemed like the most obvious route, and it's got all the skills but it turns out Infiltrator is a little less Tinker, Tailor, Rebel Spy, and a little more Splinter Cell.
Any ideas, or do I just brute force it with gear and skills?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Anti-Citizen posted:

Can I get some help building a concept. We're mixing books so anything goes in pulling this off.

So the idea was the party is trying to smuggle some Khyber Crystals off an imperial controlled planet. My new PC is an Imperial VICE agent who's going to tag them for some other crimes (my previous PC was basically David Attenbrough with a lightsaber, so they were using crates of Kyrat Dragon Guano to keep contraband in something too gross for customs to want to inspect). New PC is actually a rebel sleeper agent. GM OKed whatever random perks I can get for being out of jurisdiction, so I can swing the cop part fine, but I was trying to figure out what's best for building the undercover agent.

Spy seemed like the most obvious route, and it's got all the skills but it turns out Infiltrator is a little less Tinker, Tailor, Rebel Spy, and a little more Splinter Cell.
Any ideas, or do I just brute force it with gear and skills?

If you're going to play long enough, choose based on the Signature Abilities you want. Pretty much everything else comes out in the wash due to the flexibility of the system.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I've finally had my first two (seeing as we've just had a public holiday) proper, non-intro sessions as GM. Set up my group as people employed by the Empire (who they be quite sure of/won't betray the Empire, due to each character's individual loyalties/desires) to infiltrate a post-Hoth Rebellion cell, to try and find out about other cell locations and if possible where the new 'main' Rebel base is (that is, if they've set up Haven Base yet - they aren't aware of its existence). All of which while being given permission to 'act as they see fit', in regards to killing Imperial soldiers (although avoiding killing important officers/figures if at all possible)

Both players (there's a third, but they haven't been introduced yet, as they've been busy - there's an opportunity to soon though, and I'm still giving them the xp for the past two sessions) are going quite well so far I think in terms of RPing their characters and are having fun with the system, with one playing as a more brutish Dashade and another as a stealthy sniper. First session involved ambushing a prison convoy to hijack a prison 'van' with a bunch of other Rebel recruits (seeing as they were 'recruited' just earlier by a Reb recruiter on the Imp payroll), which went well. A few imp army soldiers surrendered and were tied up and left in a swamp/marsh, and some of the prisoners were recruited to fill out the ranks, seeing as some died during the ambush. One declined and was promptly bound and left with the guards by the Dashade, while the others were armed (despite all of them being arrested for participating in a protest/demonstration against the Imperial presence on-world).

Then as a follow-up to him taking a hard stance on the Reb-sympathizing prisoner, the team used the uniforms they stripped off the captive Imp soldiers to bluff their way inside the small compound (temporary holding cells and impounded/confiscated ships and illicit goods, sort of thing) where a mid-tier Rebel captive is being temporarily held at. After they got inside (other than the sniper, who was perched partway up a hill near the compound) the team initiated the breakout, killing almost everyone on-base (including around 6-8 unarmed clerks/admin staff by the Dashade's hand, who I did note were completely unarmed and not in soldiers' uniform! A few of which with grenades, another was basically just shot in the head at point-blank range :stare:) They're now just about to steal one of the impounded ships, before making their escape.

I uh, think things will get interesting, particularly with the Dashade's player; he's only used to D&D kill-all-enemies at this stage, so I wonder how he'll behave in a city, if he ever encounters someone who may slight him! (Heh, may be a few arrest warrants out for him, before too long!) :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 27, 2016

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I don't have any Star wars books, besides the free RPG day "Shadow of Black sun" booklet, but for the hell of it, here's my RPG/miniatures books shelf since other people posted theirs:

... Yeah, not nearly as everyone else who posted theirs. :cheeky:

The folders on the left is, an RPG I wrote and never finished (based loosely on the Digimon anime). character sheets and articles for star wars, both EotE and the old saga edition, and a folder of pages of grid maps. The big unmarked binder is my "GM's manual". a ton of system agnostic articles for GMing, scenarios, NPC character sheets for D&D 3.5ed, and stuff PC sheets for 5 Rings, D&D 4e and Hollow Earth.
The white drawers has tokens and cards (including stuff form mouse guard, though it's not on the shelf because my sister has it) and a ton of paper miniatures.

I still would love to play EotE, though the RL group at my local game shop never happened because of lack of interest. :(

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So is True Aim as described in the Age of Rebellion broken as it seems? Basically being able to use any weapon from any range AND decrease the difficulty on top of that? We have been house ruling it to cost strain to do because the group's Sharpshooter at this point has been able to hit perfectly with a pistol from extreme ranges with no penalty otherwise.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So is True Aim as described in the Age of Rebellion broken as it seems? Basically being able to use any weapon from any range AND decrease the difficulty on top of that? We have been house ruling it to cost strain to do because the group's Sharpshooter at this point has been able to hit perfectly with a pistol from extreme ranges with no penalty otherwise.
But he could be using the aim boosting talent that upgrades the attack as well as adding a blue, with a heavy blaster rifle or another better gun. Sounds like he's just mitigating the penalties he's chosen to take by using a suboptimal gun for the sake of looking cool.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Yes, it's fantastically overpowered. If it cost 1 strain per rank/upgrade, it'd STILL be OP, since it amounts to 4-5 upgrades to your shooting by the end. Combine that with Deadly Accuracy and you're looking at 15 damage a hit or so, and that's with just a basic weapon, much less something upgraded and deadly on it's own. The talent needs a bit of a nerf, it's just too OP.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Talkie Toaster posted:

But he could be using the aim boosting talent that upgrades the attack as well as adding a blue, with a heavy blaster rifle or another better gun. Sounds like he's just mitigating the penalties he's chosen to take by using a suboptimal gun for the sake of looking cool.

Oh he has a proper rifle as well, but what i mean is that it's ridiculous that he could take just a standard blaster pistol and hit just as well with that as any of his other weapons at extreme range.

Chronische posted:

Yes, it's fantastically overpowered. If it cost 1 strain per rank/upgrade, it'd STILL be OP, since it amounts to 4-5 upgrades to your shooting by the end. Combine that with Deadly Accuracy and you're looking at 15 damage a hit or so, and that's with just a basic weapon, much less something upgraded and deadly on it's own. The talent needs a bit of a nerf, it's just too OP.

We had house ruled it to 2 strain per use which seemed to be best for what we're doing at the moment.

Thanks for the replies though! Had to be sure there wasn't something we were just missing this whole time or if the ability is just straight up broken.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Oh he has a proper rifle as well, but what i mean is that it's ridiculous that he could take just a standard blaster pistol and hit just as well with that as any of his other weapons at extreme range.

Are they using Sniper Shot and upgrading the difficulty for each range band?

I will say that lots of skill in ranged heavy breaks the hell out of this game though.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Are there any rules--official or otherwise--for docking clamps attachments like we see on the Gozanti?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Foolster41 posted:

I still would love to play EotE, though the RL group at my local game shop never happened because of lack of interest. :(

Mine has two games going at once, plus one for F&D.

Since the F&D game went up in smoke I might try for an EoTE game, but last time interest fizzled before I could get a full group.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

We had house ruled it to 2 strain per use which seemed to be best for what we're doing at the moment.

I'd make it like Dodge, 1 strain per rank of the talent you want to use, but that's just me. It's just so damned powerful otherwise, Frenzied Attack (which is similar but doesn't ALSO COUNT AS AIM which is another reason True Aim is so broken) does cost strain in that fashion, but is melee so you can't use it to easily snipe a fly on the horizon with a holdout blaster.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Any places online advertising sales for May 4th yet? I'd love to pick up a couple of books and maybe another set of dice.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Dice for this game are rarer than unicorn poo poo so don't hold your breath

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

ShineDog posted:

Dice for this game are rarer than unicorn poo poo so don't hold your breath

Yeah i'm aware how out of stock they get.

I got the AoR Beginner Game for my first set, I was thinking about getting the FaD Beginner for another set.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, I might be missing something obvious, although could someone either run me through the basics of using groups/swarms of 'minion' enemy soldiers, or tell me where in the corebooks (I've got EotE and AoR, so it doesn't matter which - either either, tomato tomato) it goes through those details? Since last session I was manually moving around and having around 30 enemy Imp Army soldiers shooting (plus a number of rebs), which seemed a touch extreme! :v:

I checked the books then as well as afterwards, but couldn't find anything. So yeah, if anyone can give me some info on the topic, I would greatly appreciate it!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
[Edit] Check page 390 EotE. [/Edit]

Don't have the page number offhand but it goes like this: Group up an arbitrary number of the same unit, set their stats and what skills they'd have (assuming you're not working off a premade).

For every unit in the group they have that minus 1 in each skill. So Piloting and Heavy Firearms skills are things they're trained in and you've got a squad of 5 so they'd have 4 skill rating.

The whole group has one initiative slot rolled, one turn per round, and a pool of HP. They lose a unit everytime they take Unit HP/Units in damage. So if you have 5 units with 5 HP each, 25 damage destroys the squad and it loses a member every 5 damage.

There's no strain for minions so any strain damage acts as HP damage.

That same unit firing on characters, if they have 3 Agility, would roll 3 yellow dice and 1 green die. Until they lost members and therefore "skill".

Narratively they're all firing at the character simultaneously and have a better chance of A shot landing. And I'm pretty sure RAW you're supposed to rollover damage, since you treat them as one entity, so a 8 damage hit kills a minion in the unit and severely damages another but I might be wrong on that one.

------

Also I don't think there's mass combat rules but I might have overlooked them. Personally I'd just do an opposed roll with similar stats to minions, so the bigger group has an advantage and then give bonuses for actions your players have undertaken that have an effect on the battle.

Which might be better for a 30v30 situation as even doing 6 squads of 5 per side sounds like too much work that takes the focus off the players and their actions.

The opposed role shows how the general course of the battle is going, and you should only keep track of the state specifically of groups your players interact with, unless they go and manually clear a battlefield. The rest is just background dressing that is either going their way or against them.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 3, 2016

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DemonMage posted:

Useful information

Thanks for all the info - that explains everything perfectly! I'll definitely have to make note of all this, for the next time my players get in over their heads :D

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
My roleplaying group got tired of 5e D&D, and someone proposed Edge of the Empire as one of the options. I spent awhile reading through rulebooks, and I am loving this system.

The GM is leaving all the sourcebooks open, and I'm planning to play a Droid Tech from Special Modifications to mass produce swarms of cheap minion droids. One of the better results you can get on the crafting check is a free cybernetic implant on the droid. Are there any implants that would be particularly fun to have on a swarm of droids? I was thinking of going for Cybernetic Cavity and filling all of them with explosive Detonite charges, but apparently that's a little too unethical.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Vanguard Warden posted:

My roleplaying group got tired of 5e D&D, and someone proposed Edge of the Empire as one of the options. I spent awhile reading through rulebooks, and I am loving this system.

The GM is leaving all the sourcebooks open, and I'm planning to play a Droid Tech from Special Modifications to mass produce swarms of cheap minion droids. One of the better results you can get on the crafting check is a free cybernetic implant on the droid. Are there any implants that would be particularly fun to have on a swarm of droids? I was thinking of going for Cybernetic Cavity and filling all of them with explosive Detonite charges, but apparently that's a little too unethical.

Repulsor Fists.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Vanguard Warden posted:

I mean I can understand that being unethical on like, protocol droids or something.

But as far as I'm concerned, sensor balls were invented to be stuffed with detonite.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Vanguard Warden posted:

Yeah, why would you NOT want explosions? I guess you could put stun grenades or just a generic slot that you can put any grenade type weapon into... then you could customize to taste in the field.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Think we'll get any Star Wars announcements out of FFG for Consumer Crap Star Wars Day tomorrow? (I celebrate Star Wars day on May 25th like God intended)

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

For me, every day is #StarWarsDay

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
So, in my game the players have stolen a HWK-1000 from a slaver on Ryloth. They want to keep the ship, but not make it such a hot item. Thanks to some Triumphs and Destiny points, they discovered there is a false transponder on the ship, but it's only good for non visuals.

Our Slicer has been gone for a few weeks, so we are running an email side quest so he gets to come back to the group and accomplish something. When I asked him what his goal was he said,

"Break into the local Ryloth starship dealership, mark the ship as purchased and scrapped and then register a new transponder as a hwk 290"

I think this is neat, but I am wondering if he succeeds, will it take all the suspense out of having a stolen ship. I had planned on them having go break into a BoSS office and pull a heist to change all the official data, but they might decide they never need to do it if this works.

Any suggestions for what limits one would have in trying to whip up false creditials for a ship like our Slicer is planning?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Conditions on the contract, like required maintenance, a search, promotional extra parts, etc.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

NinjaPete posted:

"Break into the local Ryloth starship dealership, mark the ship as purchased and scrapped and then register a new transponder as a hwk 290"

That is actually pretty close to what I'd do. I'd find a ship of the same model that was recently wrecked. Purchase it for scrap then simply swap all the transponders, serial number plates, whatever it takes.

"Oh this ship officer? Legitimately registered, salvaged and repaired title."

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Oh man!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/5/4/the-force-is-calling-to-you/

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Really looking forward to TFA era stuff making it's way into the RPG, ImpAss, etc. Actually most looking forward to getting more splatbooks (or a core!) that flesh out the post ROTJ universe

Wonder what the fourth pre-rolled character will be like

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 4, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Well...not quite what I was expecting as a May 4th reveal, but that's pretty cool. Guess I'll be getting my 5th set of funny dice!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I want stats for bb series droids :getin:

Edit: colonist.... Soldier. A mix of games. Would love a TFA core

alg fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 4, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Well, ok! That's pretty cool. Will there be a TFA core book? Or is this going to be like the TFA core set for X-wing, where it's mainly a springboard to get people into one of the main core books?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

jivjov posted:

Well...not quite what I was expecting as a May 4th reveal, but that's pretty cool. Guess I'll be getting my 5th set of funny dice!

Send me one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Finster Dexter posted:

Well, ok! That's pretty cool. Will there be a TFA core book? Or is this going to be like the TFA core set for X-wing, where it's mainly a springboard to get people into one of the main core books?

If I had to guess, it's the latter. A 4th Core Book would either be a mishmash of already existing content, or suddenly adding 6 new careers etc to a game with a pretty solidly established outline.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

I'd love to see a new Core book but I don't think there's quite enough stuff yet to fill it with new new stuff. I could see it as a springboard for getting people into the RPG while they wait for the new movies to come out. I could see there being a splatbook like Sons of Fortune getting released for each of the new Episode movies. Definitely looking forward to what Rogue One will add to the various game systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I'd love a TFA splatbook with some info on First Order, etc., maybe some info on how the new Republic developed 33 ABY, etc. Although I suppose a lot of these details are dependent on Ep 8 and 9, so I'll just have to be patient.