Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Nowadays the US only delivers freedom by missile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

cheerfullydrab posted:

Also you can only cancel your order up until some arbitrary point in the midcourse phase

Cancellations are also provided via missile

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting.

Platystemon posted:

The WWII U.S. Army booklet 112 Gripes About the French is good reading.

“Yeah, we know the French are dicks, but there are some mitigating circumstances. Please put up with them.”

ltkerensky
Oct 27, 2010

Biggest lurker to ever lurk.

Cythereal posted:

Crossposting.

That was a mighty interesting read, thanks.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

ltkerensky posted:

That was a mighty interesting read, thanks.

Agreed. I haven't studied much into the business of occupation itself and this was interesting insight.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So a copy of The Killer Angels wandered into my hand and I'm about halfway through. It's decently good reading, but how good is the actual accuracy of what's being portrayed? Besides the obvious stuff like the dialogue being made up.

While I'm asking people to do background on authors for me, how well viewed is Erik Larson? I really liked Dead Wake and In the Garden of Beasts, and considering he's mostly just transcribing primary sources it naturally seems compelling, but I haven't ever had the heart to find out how good his research actually is. Pretty good for a non-historian? Terrible?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

So a copy of The Killer Angels wandered into my hand and I'm about halfway through. It's decently good reading, but how good is the actual accuracy of what's being portrayed? Besides the obvious stuff like the dialogue being made up.

While I'm asking people to do background on authors for me, how well viewed is Erik Larson? I really liked Dead Wake and In the Garden of Beasts, and considering he's mostly just transcribing primary sources it naturally seems compelling, but I haven't ever had the heart to find out how good his research actually is. Pretty good for a non-historian? Terrible?

In TKA, the nuts and bolts of the battle are all pretty accurate, although he made some concessions for the sake of storytelling (ie, the 20th Maine being on the line on the third day). The perspectives of the characters are largely fictional though; that was done to highlight various themes and whatnot. Each character is something of a metaphor for some part of society at the time and so naturally they're kind of...single minded, I suppose, while real actual people (and the historical situation for that matter) are a bit more nuanced. We had a discussion about TKA in this thread quite a while ago and I made kind of an effortpost about it if you want to know more of my thoughts.

I like Larson a lot and as far as I can tell both Dead Wake and Devil in the White City are pretty accurate historically and very well researched. His prose tends towards the...dramatic, I suppose, and he doesn't really claim to be without bias, but that is to be expected I think given his background and intent. I think they're great popular histories and we need more such things.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Thanqol posted:

They used a missile to deliver mail? What? Why?

Because between ww2 and the 1970's the US had a shocking amount of mad scientists on its payroll, hence poo poo like mail carrying missiles, using atom bombs for infrastrucure projects, trying to make a flying saucer shaped hovercraft, and project pluto (which is insane enough to make a james bond villain turn it down).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm not quite understanding how you get the mail out of the missile. Does it thunk into the ground like a lawn dart or something? What if it misses and hits somebody?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm not quite understanding how you get the mail out of the missile.

*thunk* *whirr* *boom*
It's raining mail! Hallelujah!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
"Boy, I sure do hope my precious porcelean statue of a swan is alright through!"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nenonen posted:

It was like the Amazon delivery drones of the time, but actually cool.

Also: it existed.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

HEY GAL posted:

Because the Medal of Honor used to be the only award there was, besides the Purple Heart.
Purple Heart was not awarded until 1932 and only retroactively applied to acts committed after April 1917.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

T___A posted:

Purple Heart was not awarded until 1932 and only retroactively applied to acts committed after April 1917.

Eh, kinda-sorta. It was a revival of the revolutionary war "Badge of Military Merit" that was essentially never awarded (something like 5 of them). The original was a purple heart that said "Merit" on it. That's also why the modern medal says "for military merit" on the back side of it.

It was essentially a new medal but they revived a really old one when designing it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Eh, kinda-sorta. It was a revival of the revolutionary war "Badge of Military Merit" that was essentially never awarded (something like 5 of them). The original was a purple heart that said "Merit" on it. That's also why the modern medal says "for military merit" on the back side of it.

It was essentially a new medal but they revived a really old one when designing it.

I heard that the US army ordered so many in preparation for landing on mainland Japan back in '45 that we're still using that stock. True/False?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

T___A posted:

Thanks, I think I just saw the really old medals like it that Cyrano mentions and assumed it was a continuing thing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I heard that the US army ordered so many in preparation for landing on mainland Japan back in '45 that we're still using that stock. True/False?

Not any more, but we had to start making them again quite recently. I want to say something like 2012. Before that we were burning through the last of the WW2 stock.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

true. http://www.stripes.com/blogs/the-rumor-doctor/the-rumor-doctor-1.104348/are-purple-hearts-from-1945-still-being-awarded-1.116756

e: OK, it's a 2010 article so maybe no longer true.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

It's the 24th of April. In Ireland, the Easter Rising begins; the German Navy celebrates with another raid on the south coast of England. In Mesopotamia there's a wonderfully buccaneering (if inevitably doomed) attempt to buy another month of life for the garrison. The Kaiser has decided to put his submarines back onto Prize Rules, abandoning for the moment any attempt to attack British and French merchant steamers. Edward Mousley is back with us, although in extreme pain and with his spirits firmly at the bottom of the latrines; Robert Pelissier enjoys some moments to consider American politics at leisure while at a training course; and Maximilian Mugge admires a marathon session of three-card Brag in his hut.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Upon witnessing the missile's landing, Summerfield stated, "This peacetime employment of a guided missile for the important and practical purpose of carrying mail, is the first known official use of missiles by any Post Office Department of any nation." Summerfield proclaimed the event to be "of historic significance to the peoples of the entire world", and predicted that "before man reaches the moon, mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to Britain, to India or Australia by guided missiles. We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."

Rocket expert Willy Ley speculated in 1954 that using small cruise missiles to rapidly delivery mail might be possible for as little as three times the rate for airmail, in part because they could be reusable. Technologists like Robert Zubrin, of Mars Society fame, think that rocket mail, or at least ultra-elite business package delivery, may become commercially viable with the development of fully reusable launch systems, particularly single-stage to orbit vehicles. Such systems would allow package delivery anywhere in the world in 30–45 minutes.
from Wikipedia.

Goddamn it, why do we not live in this timeline? I'd leave my house and half a dozen missiles would be sticking out of my lawn, full of pizza coupons and bank statements.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Only thrice the cost of airmail!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So, the value of the missile mail experiment should be measured by the market value of the postage artefacts available today; sadly it seems that there was no unique postage printed for the missile dispatch, and that means missile mail envelopes sell for pretty low prices, around 15 USD.

Sad.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Bob Zubrin thinks it might work? Investors might want to do a 360 and walk away.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

Only thrice the cost of airmail!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Thanqol posted:

Upon witnessing the missile's landing, Summerfield stated, "This peacetime employment of a guided missile for the important and practical purpose of carrying mail, is the first known official use of missiles by any Post Office Department of any nation." Summerfield proclaimed the event to be "of historic significance to the peoples of the entire world", and predicted that "before man reaches the moon, mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to Britain, to India or Australia by guided missiles. We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."

Rocket expert Willy Ley speculated in 1954 that using small cruise missiles to rapidly delivery mail might be possible for as little as three times the rate for airmail, in part because they could be reusable. Technologists like Robert Zubrin, of Mars Society fame, think that rocket mail, or at least ultra-elite business package delivery, may become commercially viable with the development of fully reusable launch systems, particularly single-stage to orbit vehicles. Such systems would allow package delivery anywhere in the world in 30–45 minutes.
from Wikipedia.

Goddamn it, why do we not live in this timeline? I'd leave my house and half a dozen missiles would be sticking out of my lawn, full of pizza coupons and bank statements.

Don't forget the jobs it would create in the Postal Service's Ballistic Missile Divison. :v:

(And probably in its legal teams.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
pizzas are not a delivery food in this timeline, but cannoli and burritos are v popular

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

pizzas are not a delivery food in this timeline, but cannoli and burritos are v popular

I'm imagining some sort of pizza dough spinner parachute that smacks into a tray with toppings on touchdown, then is cooked off residual heat.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

HEY GAL posted:

Except burritos already have a well-established delivery method. From a San Francisco cart to your door in less than two hours.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thanqol posted:

in part because they could be reusable

Now how does this work? Aren't they gonna get a little scuffed up on the landing or something? Is the recipient charged with bringing the missile back to their local post office after getting the package? Sounds like a PITA to be honest

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

bewbies posted:

In TKA, the nuts and bolts of the battle are all pretty accurate, although he made some concessions for the sake of storytelling (ie, the 20th Maine being on the line on the third day). The perspectives of the characters are largely fictional though; that was done to highlight various themes and whatnot. Each character is something of a metaphor for some part of society at the time and so naturally they're kind of...single minded, I suppose, while real actual people (and the historical situation for that matter) are a bit more nuanced. We had a discussion about TKA in this thread quite a while ago and I made kind of an effortpost about it if you want to know more of my thoughts.

I like Larson a lot and as far as I can tell both Dead Wake and Devil in the White City are pretty accurate historically and very well researched. His prose tends towards the...dramatic, I suppose, and he doesn't really claim to be without bias, but that is to be expected I think given his background and intent. I think they're great popular histories and we need more such things.

Thanks! So I can take the rough details of the battle as correct but should check a real source if I ever make a claim, take the personal reasoning for decisions as vague reconstruction and anything interpersonal beyond basic poo poo like Lee and Longstreet being bros as made up? Sounds about what I'd expect and it's a fun read. I'll hunt down your effort post for a full break down in a bit. You wouldn't happen to remember a vague idea of when it was would you? Just so I can scroll more effectively since you post a good amount.

And yeah that was about as good as I'd hoped for Larson. Definitely more pop than history, but I'm glad the meat there is real. And god drat is he readable.

No comment on In the Garden of Beasts though. Have you not read it or is that insult by omission or...?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

darthbob88 posted:

Except burritos already have a well-established delivery method. From a San Francisco cart to your door in less than two hours.

Not gonna lie, I hope Donald Trump has done enough damage to the fabric of reality that this leaks into our timeline.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I went to a civil war reenactment today as part of my civil war historiography class (don't ask what a reenactment has to do with historiography, the professor teaching it is best friends with a member of the cannon crew and brought us along for fun). I'm reposting it from a chat thread so excuse the lack of capitalization.

Here's about 20 of the best photos i took today

Union parade column

cannon crew demonstration, iirc this one was a six pounder

front shot of cannon with my history professor looking goofy in the back

and we're on to the battle, confederate skirmishers seize a very poorly placed/design fence

confederate cannon getting to fire

union regiments show up and assemble

the cannon from before, this fucker was loud as poo poo

the confederate batteries reply

union battle line advances

the confederate cavalry arrives

the dude in front died like 8 times, the running theory is that he was the only one that knew how to fall off a horse without breaking a bone

union sharpshooters arrive on the field

reposistioning the cannon

like three seconds later a confederate cannon killed about a third of the guys in this shot

the union cavalry belatedly arrives on the field

and is just as quickly driven off

:rip:

the confederate cavalry guy from earlier, i think this was his final death

stacked arms in the confederate camp

confederate three pounder (it's actually an old AA gun from a WW1 battleship re purposed)

sharpshooters rifle with scope

snipings a good job mate

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 1, 2016

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
reenactment seems pretty relevant to historiography to me :shrug:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

photos from a time traveler

Dude you've gotta warn them about Lincoln and Ford's theatre before it's too late!

edit: I didn't read the captions. boy, is my face red.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dude you've gotta warn them about Lincoln and Ford's theatre before it's too late!

edit: I didn't read the captions. boy, is my face red.

There was actually a dude as Lincoln wandering around that you could talk to.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

There was actually a dude as Lincoln wandering around that you could talk to.

As tempting as warning him might be, causality is not to be tampered with lightly.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

sullat posted:

As tempting as warning him might be, causality is not to be tampered with lightly.

Lincoln would be too busy killing zombies anyway. :laugh:

I see those cavalry operate according to Fall of the Samurai rules.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

Lincoln would be too busy killing vampires anyway. :laugh:

Fixed that for you.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Any Kraut-speakers ITT know the pronunciation of Sylt? My dumb English-speaking mind says it should sound like "Silt" but I assume that's wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Any Kraut-speakers ITT know the pronunciation of Sylt? My dumb English-speaking mind says it should sound like "Silt" but I assume that's wrong.

Blagh I wouldn't know how to explain the Y. The pronunciation key says 'as in shoot (scottish)' but ehhh?

• Locked thread