Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Love Crime posted:

Somebody explain the ME3 ending poo poo because I keep seeing people talk about how bad it was but I don't know anything about the games?

IIRC the main complaint was that the choices you made during the course of the game/series had little to no effect on the ending. At the end, after defeating the final boss, you could choose what to do with the Crucible (this kind of giant superweapon), which would then give you the red, blue or green ending depending on your choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjoorZo1IlE

Cue an ending with a voiceover, and that was basically it. It felt rushed/unfinished, and was disappointing since it didn't really give closure to a series that people had started playing almost five years ago (you could import your saves from the previous game so the choices you made had an impact on the story). BioWare ended up releasing an extended ending to try and satisfy people, but the damage had already been done.

e: Personally I didn't really have a problem because I waited a few years after it came out and payed a lot less (just checked, $11 CAD, which included the "Digital Deluxe Edition Upgrade") for it and got the "fixed" ending, the game's reputation comes from people who bought it on release for $60 and had to deal with the above. It also had day 1 DLC.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
All that ending exposition was delivered by an AI ghost child too, which made it all the more annoying.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The story behind the making of Mass Effect 3 was such a hilarious mess. It was amazing following the thread right after the game came out as everything behind the scenes was slowly pieced together and we all figured out just how horribly wrong everything was. The ending was written by the 2 main producers literally locking themselves in a room away from the rest of the writing team. There was a napkin full of little notes and sketches that they released because they didn't expect the backlash and it had so many retarded things like "just like the matrix!" and weird eye rollingly stupid stuff I'd have written in the margins of my 7th grade notebook. It was literally "in order to stop the inevitability of evil robots taking over the galaxy and killing everyone we must kill everyone with our evil robots." They thought it was 'deep and thoughtful art'

The entire plot was a loving mess really, it wasn't just the ending. But the ending was the real kick in the balls. There are very few examples of an ending so bad that it retroactively ruins everything that came before it. This was one.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 30, 2016

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Also worth pointing out, when a mass relay explodes (and they all do in the original ending) it kills all life around it, so regardless of what ending you picked you ended up sterilizing the galaxy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The endings were a clear sign that the producers simply didn't understand what the story and universe of Mass Effect were about. Kind of like how George Lucas completely poo poo on the whole concept of The Force in the prequels. And the magical green beam that turned literally all matter in the universe into some cellular/cybernetic hybrid was the most nonsensical thing ever introduced in the history of garbage tier science fiction. All of us in the thread 4 years ago (yes it really was that long ago) dissected just how stupid the entire premise was in detail. Suffice to say, poo poo didn't make any sense.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 30, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Mass effect 3's ending was so loving terrible, it made losing the first game, objectively, the best net outcome for the entire universe. Objectively.

They have every living sentient space faring race fighting an operatic battle with the great evil over earth, and then you destroy the mass effect relays so that they're stuck there, forever. Imagine every human alive today was put on guam and then someone burnt all the technology so there's no more boats anymore. There's a billion alligator people who could fit you in their entire mouth and someone (you) just fixed their sex problems so they want to gently caress fight and eat and there's literally just a blasted earth now for them to stand on and only your entire race to eat. That's not a loving happy ending.

Did you reunite the races of the space jews and robot palestinians? Did you have a conference at space camp david and sort that out? gently caress you they're stuck on earth in a hell war where only the alligator people will survive, until they eat and gently caress themselves to death and die out too.

Literally every action you ever made was made moot as gently caress by the galactic apocalypse of everyone standing on earth and then the bridge to anywhere their food comes from being blown up, forever, canonically.

If you died in mass effect one and let the reapers kill humanity big whoop. Another ten thousand years and bird people get to have a fun time zipping around space. Maybe a mushroom civilization gets a go around next time? But nope, now every loving space relay, everywhere, exploded, which in the dlc had been shown to make entire systems uninhabitable. Losing mass effect 1 destroys the current spacefaring races. Winning mass effect 3 destroys them all anyway, and also every future civilization, everywhere, forever.

What color would you like the holocaust to be? I picked green. A billion billion worlds were burnt to green interstellar ash.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Any life not killed by the explosions is now permanently cut off from every other civilisation in the galaxy, destroying the space UN you spent 3 games trying to save.

[Edit] what he said ^

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Krinkle posted:

Mass effect 3's ending was so loving terrible, it made losing the first game, objectively, the best net outcome for the entire universe. Objectively.

They have every living sentient space faring race fighting an operatic battle with the great evil over earth, and then you destroy the mass effect relays so that they're stuck there, forever. Imagine every human alive today was put on guam and then someone burnt all the technology so there's no more boats anymore. There's a billion alligator people who could fit you in their entire mouth and someone (you) just fixed their sex problems so they want to gently caress fight and eat and there's literally just a blasted earth now for them to stand on and only your entire race to eat. That's not a loving happy ending.

Did you reunite the races of the space jews and robot palestinians? Did you have a conference at space camp david and sort that out? gently caress you they're stuck on earth in a hell war where only the alligator people will survive, until they eat and gently caress themselves to death and die out too.

Literally every action you ever made was made moot as gently caress by the galactic apocalypse of everyone standing on earth and then the bridge to anywhere their food comes from being blown up, forever, canonically.

If you died in mass effect one and let the reapers kill humanity big whoop. Another ten thousand years and bird people get to have a fun time zipping around space. Maybe a mushroom civilization gets a go around next time? But nope, now every loving space relay, everywhere, exploded, which in the dlc had been shown to make entire systems uninhabitable. Losing mass effect 1 destroys the current spacefaring races. Winning mass effect 3 destroys them all anyway, and also every future civilization, everywhere, forever.

What color would you like the holocaust to be? I picked green. A billion billion worlds were burnt to green interstellar ash.

The amazing thing is that even though all of these terrible implications were immediately apparent to anyone who played the game the writers didn't think any of it through at all.

Kind of like how D&D insist that the Jamie/Cersie Season 4 scene wasn't rape when anyone with eyes could see that it was written, directed, and edited to look exactly like a rape scene.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Captain Splendid posted:

Any life not killed by the explosions is now permanently cut off from every other civilisation in the galaxy

So... The Leto II's Golden Path idea? It can be played well, I guess in Mass Effect it wasn't.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Narmi posted:

IIRC the main complaint was that the choices you made during the course of the game/series had little to no effect on the ending. At the end, after defeating the final boss, you could choose what to do with the Crucible (this kind of giant superweapon), which would then give you the red, blue or green ending depending on your choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjoorZo1IlE

Cue an ending with a voiceover, and that was basically it. It felt rushed/unfinished, and was disappointing since it didn't really give closure to a series that people had started playing almost five years ago (you could import your saves from the previous game so the choices you made had an impact on the story). BioWare ended up releasing an extended ending to try and satisfy people, but the damage had already been done.

e: Personally I didn't really have a problem because I waited a few years after it came out and payed a lot less (just checked, $11 CAD, which included the "Digital Deluxe Edition Upgrade") for it and got the "fixed" ending, the game's reputation comes from people who bought it on release for $60 and had to deal with the above. It also had day 1 DLC.

There's also the fact that the Catalyst (especially its location) is a gaping plot hole that renders the entire story nonsensical.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
An ending so bad they had to leave the galaxy in order to justify a 4th entry.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

So... The Leto II's Golden Path idea? It can be played well, I guess in Mass Effect it wasn't.

I always got the impression that Leto's golden path was all about breeding prescience defying special powers into humanity thus preventing the ultimate tyranny of the Bene Gesserit, the Guild and the Tleilaxu?

How off was I?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The ending was written by the 2 main producers literally locking themselves in a room away from the rest of the writing team.

They should've stuck with plan A and made it about global warming Dark Energy. Iirc, in ME2 they foreshadowed that mass-effect and biotic technology emitted 'dark energy' as pollution and, presumably, the Reaper culls were about destroying polluters and the Reaper production was about adding new members to their 'make space-folding green' think-tank.

While more controversial, it would've been less divisive and less forgettable.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 30, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What they should have done was leave the reapers' motives and nature a complete mystery.

Much like how I'm sure that D&D will shoehorn something stupid in as the motivation the white walkers.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Dave Hill wrote all the Histories & Lore extras which are pretty good.

To be fair, GRRM wrote the H&L extras indirectly.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Accretionist posted:

They should've stuck with plan A and made it about global warming Dark Energy. Iirc, in ME2 they foreshadowed that mass-effect and biotic technology emitted 'dark energy' as pollution and, presumably, the Reaper culls were about destroying polluters and the Reaper production was about adding new members to their 'make space-folding green' think-tank.

While more controversial, it would've been less divisive and less forgettable.

The problem was that the guy who originally wrote the stories for ME 1 and 2 was promoted/transferred to The Old Republic dev team shortly after 2 came out. Hence the original story plans being ripped up and replaced by two idiots 'artistic vision.'

Max
Nov 30, 2002

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Dave Hill wrote all the Histories & Lore extras which are pretty good.

I feel it's one thing to be good at writing up lore and another entirely to write good characters and dialogue.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The endings were a clear sign that the producers simply didn't understand what the story and universe of Mass Effect were about.

It was the same thing when Dexter came to a horrifically bad close.

It's something to look out for with GoT, but I don't know if GoT will ever get that bad. You could probably ask a dozen people what the story and universe of GoT is about and get 13 different answers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I always got the impression that Leto's golden path was all about breeding prescience defying special powers into humanity thus preventing the ultimate tyranny of the Bene Gesserit, the Guild and the Tleilaxu?

How off was I?

He destroyed the ability to travel between planets, thus saving humans from over-reliance on central institutions (as you mentioned) which would corrupt and weaken humanity, and forced them into a new round of evolutionary adaptation.

The point is, in Dune as well as Mass Effect destroying the system of interstellar travel in order to save the human race from some threat is a major plot point. And it even includes self-sacrifice of an adored figure. Except in Dune it was competently executed.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

PostNouveau posted:

It's something to look out for with GoT, but I don't know if GoT will ever get that bad. You could probably ask a dozen people what the story and universe of GoT is about and get 13 different answers.

One of those people is Preston Jacobs with his awesome post-apocalyptic future one.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I have a feeling D&D are going to give us a wholly unsatisfying ending, even if they're basing it off of what GRRM has told them.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

WampaLord posted:

I have a feeling D&D are going to give us a wholly unsatisfying ending, even if they're basing it off of what GRRM has told them.

You don't suppose it's possible that GRRM is a huge troll and gave D&D a totally different ending than he plans on making?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

I don't see how that's possible because there's been a satisfying ending set up from way early on that everyone already expects. Dany and Jon Snow team up and use dragons to kill the white walkers. It's not a hard landing to stick.

It's impossible to pull a "Dexter" or Mass Effect and fundamentally misunderstand the show because there's not really much to the show. Tits and dragons. It's been a potboiler for D&D for years, but in some ways that's a good thing because they aren't saddled with having to pay off a bunch of character arcs while sticking to a cohesive theme.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Azazell0 posted:

You don't suppose it's possible that GRRM is a huge troll and gave D&D a totally different ending than he plans on making?

Not even remotely. GRRM isn't a troll. He's just lazy and enjoying his success.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Azazell0 posted:

That's actually probably the least likely thing.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Krinkle posted:

You could travel between stars without the mass relays though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Dave posted:

That's actually probably the least likely thing.

It's more likely than "GRRM is changing his story to spite show watchers", especially because that's based on a half remembered quote he said offhand.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Collateral posted:

Yeah, but not in anyone's lifetime. It's like if you had to walk everywhere on Earth. Sure, you can make it to China from America, theoretically, just not practically.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
All that needs to be said about ME3's plot is that it is literally - and I mean that in the literal and not hyperbolic sense - nonsense.
"We robots shall murder all organic life in order to prevent all organic life from being murdered by robots."

Literally nonsense. Almost anything else they could have done would have been better since, however bad, it would have at least been *coherent*

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Collateral posted:

Actually you couldn't, it's noted that the element zero cores that allow FTL build up heat, and must be vented (or something) in a planet's atmosphere every few days.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Someone posted this immense image on /r/gameofthrones about how Sansa is now being served by Brienne, who served her mother, with part of Ice in the form of Oathkeeper, and all this jazz. All I could think of was the George Lucas line frequently cited comically about how it's like poetry; it rhymes.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

How off was I?

:eng101: it was also about shaping human culture and society to value personal independence and freedom over bowing to tyrannical political systems, and create a military caste that is less prone to preying on society or attempting to usurp control from the populace in a way that would survive thousands of years of new history

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 30, 2016

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Episode 2 synopsis:

Ramsay kills Roose Bolton by stabbing in a hug. Ramsay kills Walda and his newborn brother by dogs. Tyrion kinda talks with the dragons and free them, although they don't leave the cave, just stay there chilling without chain. Bombom (Wun Wun?) kills a bunch secondaries of the Night Watch, Allistor get capture, nobody else die. Melissandre (young) talk with Davos, and Davos is actually cheering her up. After, Meli does the resurrection ritual, nothing happens and is not working. Everybody leave disappointing except Ghost. After a while Ghost is like WTF!, John start hyperventilating and credits rolls. Bran have a vision of Ned and Benjen practicing as kids, Lyanna appears and talk about Hodor. Hodor, called Willas (not Walder) actually talk for real as a child. Bran come back from the vision and ask Hodor why doesn't he talk. And Hodor says: "Hodor". Theon want to leave, is kinda free to do whatever he wants. In Pyke, Balon is scolding Yara, goes away and Euron push him down the bridge. Balon got a viking funeral. Nothing really happens in King's Landing. The Mountain kills a secondary, Jaime talks with the High Sparrow, etc...

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Episode 2 synopsis, straight from a Google translation of a third-hand accounting of a non-English-speaker's recollections of events.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

Episode 2 synopsis, straight from a Google translation of a third-hand accounting of a non-English-speaker's recollections of events.

nah its from some dude who does spanish subtitles for the show. he leaked ep1 and had everything correct :shrug:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Nice!

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

If its true, the "Ramsay gets a gift" from the ep2 description is Walda having a son

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

A more complete summary http://watchersonthewall.com/topic/spoilers-game-of-thrones-season-6-episode-2-leak-discussion/#post-63295

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So basically everything is going to happen exactly the way we knew it was going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

this_is_hard posted:

Episode 2 synopsis:

I refuse to believe Ramsay kills Roose. He's such a jobber.

• Locked thread