Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think back when you were looking at those lattice puzzles for the first time I passed you a couple of timecodes where the solutions were roughly on-screen, you were just looking somewhere else at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

I think back when you were looking at those lattice puzzles for the first time I passed you a couple of timecodes where the solutions were roughly on-screen, you were just looking somewhere else at the time.

Oh, that's interesting. We'll have to go back and look at your post.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, it's time for part 23! Unlike in the last episode, we actually get some stuff done this time!

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
Regarding the sound puzzle: That speaker isn't blown out, that speaker is gone. I don't think there's any way you're ever going to hear the sound that goes with both those puzzles... but maybe you don't need to?

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
My first impression of that one is low, middle and high on the left puzzle corresponding to small, medium and large on the right. This assumes that the large two dots on the right are actually the same size. There would be multiple correct solutions, but that's a recurring theme.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

There's one puzzle in the village you can for sure do. Go to the multi-story house with the broken ceiling.

It's the building with the movable solar panel thing, although you don't have to futz with said solar panel thing (at least as far as I can see). Just follow the lit wires till you get to an unsolved puzzle

note the hole above

I've caught you guys running past this one a few times in the videos. It's not gonna change much, but if you ever wanna get an easy dunk, there it is.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

For the bamboo/temple door, I'd like to draw your attention to 30:12.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah this temple and the puzzles near it are all about seeing the correct perspective and taking note of any weird environmental hints like those broken branch tips in the second lattice. If you can't see the solution, keep changing your perspective by moving or rotating the camera. And pay attention to everything in your surroundings, including above and below you. I know that the final puzzle of this area stumped me for a good 30 minutes until I noticed a key component to it and even then a little bit of extrapolation and guesswork was involved. That said, this is probably one of my favorite areas in the game because of how cool the puzzles feel.

And yeah, when you came into this temple the first time you solved the tree puzzle in the only way that caused the shutters to not move because they were already open in that direction. That's why you never thought to try another solution on the puzzle. (Also, if it wasn't obvious, the shutters open and close based on what solution you've chosen so that only one direction of shutters is open at a time. You'll notice that the front entrance shutters were closed as you left to go to the rock lattice puzzle.)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I think the bits of wood you guys were looking at for the city lattice puzzle were meant to go between the lines and not along them. You've probably figured that out after your stint in the monastery, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to point it out.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Glazius posted:

I am just a simple unfrozen caveman lawyer and am trying to solve the puzzles along with you, but you might want to keep these times in mind:

8:21

16:19

This was posted after part 13 and once again it is relevant (edited out the third timecode that they already got).

These puzzles aren't guesswork at all; if you're standing in the right spot you can solve the puzzle without moving away.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

SSNeoman posted:

There's one puzzle in the village you can for sure do. Go to the multi-story house with the broken ceiling.

It's the building with the movable solar panel thing, although you don't have to futz with said solar panel thing (at least as far as I can see). Just follow the lit wires till you get to an unsolved puzzle

note the hole above

I've caught you guys running past this one a few times in the videos. It's not gonna change much, but if you ever wanna get an easy dunk, there it is.

Yep, this is what my hint meant before, P&A. Not an environmental puzzle, but an actual puzzle.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how the tinted window you needed for the palette starburst puzzle was actually in the door you just opened.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Slaan posted:

Yep, this is what my hint meant before, P&A. Not an environmental puzzle, but an actual puzzle.

We'll take a look at that area soon, I think. I feel bad that we've taken a bit of time getting to everyone's hints; this game has been a whole lot to take in. :-P I promise we read all of the comments, though!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Hoo, boy, guys... It's time for part 24, and it's a doozy. Amy actually sounds like she's in physical pain by the end. :P

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Love your reactions at the end. I'm worried we won't experience a game as clever as this for years.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The puzzle with the three wires coming out of it in the town.

LOOK AT IT FROM THE ROOF OF THE BUILDING IT'S IN THROUGH THE BIG HOLE. You noticed this in like the 3rd or 4th video :argh:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So yeah, the candle video.

Wikipedia posted:

Nostalghia (UK: Nostalgia) is a 1983 Soviet/Italian film, directed by Andrei Tarkovsky and starring Oleg Yankovsky, Domiziana Giordano and Erland Josephson. Tarkovsky co-wrote the screenplay with Tonino Guerra.

The Russian writer Andrei Gorchakov (Oleg Yankovsky) travels to Italy to research the life of 18th-century Russian composer Pavel Sosnovsky, who lived there and committed suicide after his return to Russia. He and his comely interpreter Eugenia travel to a convent in the Tuscan countryside, to look at frescoes by Piero della Francesca. Andrei decides at the last minute that he does not want to enter.

Back at their hotel Andrei feels displaced and longs to go back to Russia, but unnamed circumstances seem to get in the way. Eugenia is smitten with Andrei and is offended that he will not sleep with her, claiming that she has a better boyfriend waiting for her.

Andrei meets and befriends a strange man named Domenico (Erland Josephson), who is famous in the village for trying to cross through the waters of a mineral pool with a lit candle. He claims that when finally achieving it, he will save the world. They both share a feeling of alienation from their surroundings. Andrei later learns that Domenico used to live in a lunatic asylum until the post-fascistic state closed them and now lives in the street. He also learns that Domenico had a family and was obsessed in keeping them inside his house in order to save them from the end of the world, until they were freed by the local police after seven years. Before leaving, Domenico gives Andrei his candle and asks him if he will cross the waters for him with the flame.

During a dream-like sequence, Andrei sees himself as Domenico and has visions of his wife, Eugenia and the Madonna as being all one and the same. Andrei seems to cut his research short and plans to leave for Russia, until he gets a call from Eugenia, who wishes to say goodbye and tell him that she met Domenico in Rome by chance and that he asked if Andrei has walked across the pool himself as he promised. Andrei says he has, although that is not true. Eugenia is with her boyfriend, but he seems uninterested in her and appears to be involved in dubious business affairs. Later, Domenico delivers a speech in the city about the need of mankind of being true brothers and sisters and to return to a simpler way of life. Finally, he plays the fourth movement of Beethoven's Ninth and immolates himself. Meanwhile, Andrei returns to the mineral pool to fulfill his promise, only to find that the pool has been drained. He enters the empty pool and repeatedly attempts to walk from one end to the other without letting the candle extinguish. As he finally achieves his goal, he collapses.

Knowing this, and knowing some other things I know about The Witness, this clip is absolutely relevant and is a fitting inclusion in the Windmill Cinema. However, showing only the final scene makes no sense because it completely divorces the conclusion from the context and will confuse the poo poo out of anyone who does not know the context. This is the closest I will allow to calling Jonathan Blow "pretentious"; he will gleefully make high literary references that he knows people will not get, even when getting it would generally cause you to think Jonathan Blow is clever or at least understands the ideas he is selling you.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hey, I wonder what's the point of this video.

Come on, you're being paranoid, there's no way that
that
:stare:
:stare:
:stonk:
:stonklol:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There's nothing new about it, conceptually. There are plenty of puzzles where you have to pick the right moment in a moving image to activate them. You've been on enough boat rides to know that!

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Slaan posted:

LOOK AT IT FROM THE ROOF OF THE BUILDING IT'S IN THROUGH THE BIG HOLE. You noticed this in like the 3rd or 4th video :argh:

For real, this was killing me when I was watching

Super looking forward to a Ju-On LP though, especially if it's the Wii version; the second player can do shenanigans during play.

That candle video would absolutely be a Monty Python skit in any other universe, played straight until the last moment where a young punk blows it out and says a bunch of slang quick-fire and runs off.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

tlarn posted:

That candle video would absolutely be a Monty Python skit in any other universe, played straight until the last moment where a young punk blows it out and says a bunch of slang quick-fire and runs off.

I think a Python version would pan over to show a table at a fancy restaurant, and he's lighting someone's cigarette or the flambe. They tended to go for juxtaposition rather than abusive actions.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Slaan posted:

For the third solution, it seems pretty clear that the twigs in the hole on the side of the building are how you find the third path.

Not finished with the video yet, so disregard if necessary.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 30, 2016

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

IronSaber posted:

On one hand, I feel bad for derailing an entire 10 minutes of video getting you guys to follow my vague hints.

On the other hand, :bang:

Alright, let's just make this easy and let me point you to where you need to stand and look around:

IronSaber's Environmental Puzzle Hints!

I guess you missed this post because you're still standing in the wrong cluster of rocks.

Edit: Now that you've finished the candle video, look forward to the MOON video.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 30, 2016

Teavian
Oct 9, 2012

I honestly don't think the candle video was that bad, even without context of the movie. It was pretty obviously (to me) a metaphor for the game. The protagonist of the movie is guiding a light from one end of a place to the other without it going out. It's a task that is important enough to him that he doesn't give up, even though he has to start from the beginning when he fails, and he won't cheat even though no one is watching. Neither the reason he's doing it nor what will happen when he succeeds matter, the only thing that matters in that moment to him is that he is carrying the candle.

I dunno, it's definitely not the worst windmill video.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

whitehelm posted:

I guess you missed this post because you're still standing in the wrong cluster of rocks.

No, we saw that post; I just wanted to see if I could find the spot one more time, which won't happen again. :-P

Teavian posted:

No, it wasn't terrible, it was just really long. I think we both definitely got how it was related to the game.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Teavian posted:

I honestly don't think the candle video was that bad, even without context of the movie. It was pretty obviously (to me) a metaphor for the game. The protagonist of the movie is guiding a light from one end of a place to the other without it going out. It's a task that is important enough to him that he doesn't give up, even though he has to start from the beginning when he fails, and he won't cheat even though no one is watching. Neither the reason he's doing it nor what will happen when he succeeds matter, the only thing that matters in that moment to him is that he is carrying the candle.

Just because something might be in a way relevant, it doesn't have to be visually appealing or enticing. This video just has this air of pretentiousness where it goes on for way longer than it needs to, as if to say, "Do you get it? Do you? Personally, I would have gotten it a minute ago, but for you dear viewer I will keep doing it another five minutes to make sure your lower intellect has time to catch up. Just keep looking at it, maybe it will come to you.". This ultra slow pace is actually fairly common in "artsy" films which focus on expressing the mindset of the author and I'm not a big fan of that medium.
Maybe I am just distracted easily, but if a film takes way to long to convey something, I feel kind of patronized.

Thinking about stuff like this, I now want someone to produce an uncut, soundless, black and white, single camera movie of a guy running a marathon on a treadmill. Does that movie exist? It totally sounds like it would. And it would actually be kinda interesting to see the different body movements as he grows more tired. But I still wouldn't want to watch that for 5 hours straight.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 30, 2016

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
Holy heck, good going on that last thing, and the quick thinking that got you to where you needed to be without even having to move it backwards at all.

whitehelm posted:

I'm pretty sure I spotted what it is that they're going to see there during the most recent video. I was going to post a screenshot and point it out, but since I realised it's what you've been pointing them at I'll just wait and let them see.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

For the third solution, it seems pretty clear that the twigs in the hole on the side of the building are how you find the third path.
Yeah, was hoping they'd at least stick their head out through the hole in the wall next to it, but guess they were too focused on the puzzle console.
I can't find the video that they did them, but did the puzzles they had to complete to power on the triple-solution console use the same methods needed to solve it? I remember there was one that used the method you're describing, but not the others and can't find the video to check.

FishOnAPiano fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 30, 2016

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Kangra fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 30, 2016

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Looking forward to the future video:

Air is lava! posted:

But I still wouldn't want to watch that for 5 hours straight.

What if the film was 8 hours long and the subject didn't move?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kangra posted:

What if the film was 8 hours long and the subject didn't move?

Usually I am quite good at internet sarcasm, but I really can't tell which of these reviews are genuine. The positive ones pretty much boil down to "The movie might be boring, but they deeply reflect Andy Warhol and he's a genius, so it's definitely a great movie and I totally get how deep it is." Frankly, I believe that that sort of film is garbage, because anyone could independently produce it and everyone would just ignore its existence. If a movie is only good because there is a big name involved, it usually isn't at all.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

pedrovay2003 posted:

Hoo, boy, guys... It's time for part 24, and it's a doozy. Amy actually sounds like she's in physical pain by the end. :P

Yes! I'm glad you guys got to this point. The above reaction is exactly the reaction this mechanic deserves. There is a fine line between "Oh my god this game" and "Oh my god this loving game", the theatre definitely crosses that line in a couple of ways. I actually realised the problem with the theatre room when I looked around the room and saw the doorway and the viewing frame, both outlined with puzzles that had a broken starting circle. I believe there are five in total? Good luck figuring out which one(s) fit which video.

It's not completely ridiculous: For the first three, there aren't too many circles and the two coloured frames are quite distinct colours. Which makes their placement more of a bastard. So once you know what they are, it becomes a tedious matter of getting into a very specific place and clicking at the exact moment. The other two puzzles... Well I haven't done that yet, because uggh gently caress you can only push against a brick wall for so long.

How far are you guys now, anyway? We're not at 7 lasers yet, so what are we missing?

pedrovay2003 posted:

No, it wasn't terrible, it was just really long.
So, you don't want to know about Candle Video 2.0 then. Good, because that is at the very end of the very end of the game, and although I haven't unlocked that yet, the internet assures me it's a doozy.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

TheDarkFlame posted:

How far are you guys now, anyway? We're not at 7 lasers yet, so what are we missing?

They've gotten 8 lasers. The three they are missing are the desert, monastery and town.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

whitehelm posted:

They've gotten 8 lasers. The three they are missing are the desert, monastery and town.

Holy crap are we that close? Then we're definitely going to take it to completion after this next part (which will be up soon!).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Or so you think...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

pedrovay2003 posted:

Holy crap are we that close? Then we're definitely going to take it to completion after this next part (which will be up soon!).

"completion"

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, part 25 is up, and we get a lot done in this one.

And I meant "completion" as in "got all the lasers." I have no idea how long it will take "Amy and I" to "fully" "complete" this "game." :-P

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
You fuckers. You absolute fuckers. Not even an entire minute. Activating the panel to finding the broken branch in under a minute. gently caress you. gently caress you.

IT TOOK ME TWO REAL LIFE DAYS TO EVEN THINK OF THAT!!

Okay so you floundered for a while putting it all together but aaaaaaaa :supaburn:

(You remember what I was saying earlier about how different people variously destroy and get destroyed by different puzzles?)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fedule posted:

You fuckers. You absolute fuckers. Not even an entire minute. Activating the panel to finding the broken branch in under a minute. gently caress you. gently caress you.

IT TOOK ME TWO REAL LIFE DAYS TO EVEN THINK OF THAT!!

Okay so you floundered for a while putting it all together but aaaaaaaa :supaburn:

(You remember what I was saying earlier about how different people variously destroy and get destroyed by different puzzles?)

I had the same reaction.

E: as for the town greenhouse bit, remember the elevator.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 3, 2016

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh btw: on a gamepad, hold R2 while drawing to draw at doublespeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The ridiculous combo solution rounding out the episode was just some great theater.

• Locked thread