Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, but he shows up in the Flash-centric best episode of Season 2.

Got me again, Flash!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it. As soon as Carter shows up he ruins the show AGAIN.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
When the gang take Vandal Savage's daughter captive, justify keeping her captive because she might tell Vandal Savage who they are and what they're doing flying around in a time machine, which is information that could somehow give him the upper hand despite Vandal Savage having already encountered the gang multiple times across history and knowing drat well who they all are and what exactly it is that they are trying to do, but then the episode ends with Rip taking Vandal Savage captive aboard the Waverider...

Tell me more, show. Tell me more superhero fever dreams.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't believe they didn't use the Scandal name. This show fails on so many levels.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
So...did they succeed in saving Rip's family by kidnapping Savage or not?

Also, why does Kendra think that Savage will ever release Boring McCreepy's mind? It's insurance that will prevent him from dying permanently. Just kill the fucker.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Pyroi posted:

did they succeed
Hahaha

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I decided to catch back up on this. It's still bad.

Pyroi posted:

So...did they succeed in saving Rip's family by kidnapping Savage or not?

If they keep him long enough then the timeline solidifies without him like in the previous episode. But don't expect them to remember that convenient plot point outside of the one episode it came up in.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
This episode was actually pretty good until Carter showed up. Then it all came apart.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I can't believe they didn't use the Scandal name. This show fails on so many levels.

I assume they'll save her for a more femme fatale character where her homosexuality can be made more prominent.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Of course Kendra couldn't kill Savage.

For season two can we ditch Rip, never mention Hawkman ever again, and just have comic book adventures across time?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

X-O posted:

If they keep him long enough then the timeline solidifies without him like in the previous episode.
No, it only worked like that in that episode. Now it's different.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Time, much like the writing, is a fluid concept with ever changing properties and rules.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

One of my favorite things is nerds getting annoyed when a show violates the "rules" of time travel, like thats a concept that makes any sense at all. Really, the only rules of time travel are as follows; 1) You can only go forwards, and 2) you can only travel at a rate of one second per second (barring relativistic effects). Every shot with time travel violates these rules. I'm not going to pretend that changing the rules to suit the episode is great writing, because its not, but its also not an inexcusable sin. Sometimes time solidifies, sometimes it doesnt. Well, sometimes when you knock a mug off the counter it smashes, sometimes it doesnt. And thats in a gravity field, something we have a resonably intuitive understanding of. Applying "rules" learned from other fictional universes to this fictional universe is the dumbest poo poo. Its not like the source comic books have hard and fast rules about time travel either. Sometimes the time traveller find that despite their efforts they cant change the past, sometimes standing on an ant means that thomas wayne is batman now.

I sometimes see people complaining about time travel in various nerd media (doctor who, legends of tomorrow, whatever) and think to myself "Man, I am so glad I didnt have to watch Bill and Ted with these motherfuckers. They'd be so busy smugging it up about "Why does the time in san dimas mean anything when they have a time machine" they'd kill any fun in the actual story.".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SiKboy posted:

One of my favorite things is nerds getting annoyed when a show violates the "rules" of time travel
People are annoyed that the show keeps changing its own rules in a way that prevents the plot from having any stakes at all.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Also aren't these characters in, like, constant danger of being wiped from existence because they left their younger selves in a time orphanage?

I hope they remember that at some point.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Xelkelvos posted:

I assume they'll save her for a more femme fatale character where her homosexuality can be made more prominent.

Sounds like a job for Time Lesbian.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
The biggest thing that bothers me about the show is that, whenever appearing in the future, people say "you disappeared in 2015!"

That alone means that either they never show back up in their timelines or everything they ever do in the future is pointless because the act of returning to their timelines alone alters the future.

So basically its all pointless - the team either all dies or never get to go home again.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The number one rule of time travel fiction is, it has to make sense internally. gently caress other fiction, gently caress common sense and gently caress physics. Time travel is magic, it is whatever you say it is. If you can follow the rules you've yourself established you're go, it doesn't have to be more complicated than that. Legends of Tomorrow makes no sense internally which is why we keep mocking it. The writing keeps tripping over itself by adding new elements that makes previous episodes completely nonsensical.

Or as someone else more eloquently put it,

FactsAreUseless posted:

People are annoyed that the show keeps changing its own rules in a way that prevents the plot from having any stakes at all.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Oh boy, if people are upset about time travel rules in this show, they should probably stay away from the Flash.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

People should just stay away from The Flash because it's bad.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

People should just stay away from The Flash because it's bad.

still praying that a time wraith shows up and murders the whole crew

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Krad posted:

Oh boy, if people are upset about time travel rules in this show, they should probably stay away from the Flash.

Flash made it over 1 and half a season before it got inconsistent so that is actually quite impressive by CW standards.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jscolon2.0 posted:

Sounds like a job for Time Lesbian.

Time Lesbian's destiny is to make out with herself first.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Now that they've captured Savage, they should just cut off his arms and legs so he can't do anything. I mean, dude regenerates and they're planning to kill him anyways, there's no reason to let him just walk around and escape as he definitely will next episode (two more at latest). Instead of this dumb team they should have just gotten, like, one guy who's pretty good with a shotgun and he could have shot Savage in the legs the first time they met him and then Kendra can fly in and smash his head in.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This show and the Flash have accomplished the herculean task of having time travel logic that somehow makes less sense than Doctor Who's time travel logic but still more sense than any of the characters' logic

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
In the season finale of Legends of Tomorrow, Kendra puts savage in a cage made of bracelets and flys into the sun. They are never mentioned again. Carter dies. Rip Hunter gets off the Time Boat briefly, prompting Snart and Rory to steal it to perform heists throughout time.

Next season: Where In Time Is Captain Cold?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It seemed bizarrely out of character for Snart to walk among the refuges with Miss Savage and explain to her how much they're suffering. He seems like he'd be the last person to care.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Argue posted:

This show and the Flash have accomplished the herculean task of having time travel logic that somehow makes less sense than Doctor Who's time travel logic but still more sense than any of the characters' logic

I think the true sad commentary is that Stargate of all franchises managed this 10 years ago and yet CW keeps tripping.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

It seemed bizarrely out of character for Snart to walk among the refuges with Miss Savage and explain to her how much they're suffering. He seems like he'd be the last person to care.

It might've been originally written for another character but was changed upon rewrite

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

enraged_camel posted:

He was very explicitly doing it to convince Savage's daughter of the truth. He likely doesn't give a single poo poo whatsoever himself but figures it'd work to show the misery her father is inflicting, since she refuses to believe anything but hard proof but already was having doubts.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Pyroi posted:

In the season finale of Legends of Tomorrow, Kendra puts savage in a cage made of bracelets and flys into the sun. They are never mentioned again. Carter dies. Rip Hunter gets off the Time Boat briefly, prompting Snart and Rory to steal it to perform heists throughout time.

Next season: Where In Time Is Captain Cold?

The saving grace of this show will be if the Hawks either outright die, or "go to live in a world without savage for once."

Followed by Rip wanting to live with his family after spending so long trying to save them. That or Rory trips him like a nerd right out of an airlock or something.

Then Professor Stein can right the wrongs of history.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Who gives a poo poo about Carter, just kill Savage and be done with it! The mindlocked Carter isn't going to live for many many lifetimes from her point of view and if they kill Savage the cycle would be broken anyway so it wouldn't matter?

I wanted to like this show but now I just kind of watch to see how dumb the ending is :(

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ApeHawk posted:

This episode was actually pretty good until Carter showed up. Then it all came apart.

Yeah, the giant robot part was all kinds of goofy fun. The CGI wasn't amazing but considering the budget I think that's acceptable.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Martout posted:

Who gives a poo poo about Carter, just kill Savage and be done with it! The mindlocked Carter isn't going to live for many many lifetimes from her point of view and if they kill Savage the cycle would be broken anyway so it wouldn't matter?

I wanted to like this show but now I just kind of watch to see how dumb the ending is :(

The worst part is about to begin. I can see it now: they'll kidnap Carter and try to "turn" him, which will involve Kendra trying to help him remember their past lives together, while Ray sulks in a corner. :barf:

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone agrees that kendra loving sucks, right?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The writers don't.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Everyone agrees that kendra loving sucks, right?

She coulda been so fun, but the writers decided to make her the relationship drama character and then yeah...she sucks.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Edit: EFB^^

Kendra would be a better character if her entire destiny didn't revolve around people trying to date her.

Savage's entire deal is he wants to gently caress her, Carter is her forever husband. Cisco and Jax wanted her. Now Ray is trying to Marry her but she's going back to Carter.

Blah Blah Blah. Hit poo poo with a Mace. Have the show be about Snart winning over women with just a glance throughout time.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 30, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The actress is fine, and probably one of the better actors on the show at this point. But the character is terrible. Not as terrible as Carter or Rip, but still terrible. The actress has poo poo to work with and still comes across likeable at times. Unlike those other two.

I think at this point point Snart and Palmer are really the only likable characters on the show. And it's almost entirely through sheer force of will in defiance of bad writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Edit: EFB^^

Kendra would be a better character if her entire destiny didn't revolve around people trying to date her.

Savage's entire deal is he wants to gently caress her, Carter is her forever husband. Cisco and Jax wanted her. Now Ray is trying to Marry her but she's going back to Carter.

Blah Blah Blah. Hit poo poo with a Mace. Have the show be about Snart winning over women with just a glance throughout time.

Smart and Sara winning over girls throughout time.

• Locked thread