Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

So what's my best bet on something for a file explorer and wifi transfer to my PC? Airdroid? Anything else without all the phone forwarding stuff that I don't need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I use ES Media Explorer and just have a sharable folder on my computer. It's a lot simpler than anything else.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah I do the same with FX since ES got a bunch of bullshit added to it.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Used to use ES, but it got a bit naff. X-plore is pretty drat great and supports all sorts... Lan, DLNA, even direct WiFi between devices. Well worth a donation.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Re: pixel c chat, good enough to use as a netbook, or should I just go for a netbook proper? My current t420 ThinkPad is a workhorse but I don't need that power anymore. Mostly just do Microsoft Office stuff and lots of pdf reading now. Would a pixel c and a decent desktop for home work?

Also, any concerns about it falling into that awkward hardware generation gap? Apparently android n already has plans for 3d touch but the pixel c doesn't support it right?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pinegala posted:

Re: pixel c chat, good enough to use as a netbook, or should I just go for a netbook proper? My current t420 ThinkPad is a workhorse but I don't need that power anymore. Mostly just do Microsoft Office stuff and lots of pdf reading now. Would a pixel c and a decent desktop for home work?

I would recommend purchasing an older small laptop rather than a Pixel C or a modern netbook-level device. Consider getting a used Thinkpad x220 - nice and compact, and as a bonus it costs about $140 on eBay these days and new batteries are nice and cheap for them as well - $30-$40 or so. It's only slightly larger than the Pixel C and doesn't have the "half-implemented" issues a lot of people experience with the Pixel C.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well, I'm about ready to replace my 2nd Shield. First one quit recognizing my sim card and battery life simultaneously went to poo poo, so I'm guessing it was just constantly searching for the card or network. Luckily that one was recalled for the battery issue. New one worked perfectly until last week when it began experiencing the exact same sim/battery issue. So no more mobile internet and now I have to charge it multiple times per day if I'm consistently using it.

Going to do a bit more research before I decide to move on from this thing, but I don't think I've ever seen anybody else on this forum complain of a similar problem. Will check the other Android forums as well for possible solutions unless one of you knows what the problem is.

Barring a fix I guess I'll see if nvidia will replace it before I go shopping around for a replacement, but I'm starting to wonder what I'd even replace it with. Could hold out and see if there's a new Nexus 7 coming out, but how long is it expected to be before it's released? I'd like to stick around the same price point and size, but don't want to put my faith in another Shield.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Inspector 34 posted:

Well, I'm about ready to replace my 2nd Shield. First one quit recognizing my sim card and battery life simultaneously went to poo poo, so I'm guessing it was just constantly searching for the card or network. Luckily that one was recalled for the battery issue. New one worked perfectly until last week when it began experiencing the exact same sim/battery issue. So no more mobile internet and now I have to charge it multiple times per day if I'm consistently using it.

Going to do a bit more research before I decide to move on from this thing, but I don't think I've ever seen anybody else on this forum complain of a similar problem. Will check the other Android forums as well for possible solutions unless one of you knows what the problem is.

Barring a fix I guess I'll see if nvidia will replace it before I go shopping around for a replacement, but I'm starting to wonder what I'd even replace it with. Could hold out and see if there's a new Nexus 7 coming out, but how long is it expected to be before it's released? I'd like to stick around the same price point and size, but don't want to put my faith in another Shield.

Get a new SIM.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I guess I should have mentioned that that was the first thing I tried when the first tablet stopped recognizing the sim card. Went to the AT&T store and had them swap my account over to the new sim but the tablet didn't recognize it at all, not even temporarily.

I might just have bad luck with nVidia devices. Got a game controller at the same time as the first Shield tablet and after a few days it quit powering on. Got that replaced and 4 months later had the same problem. Surprised I haven't heard many reviews about their devices' reliability.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Welp. The Nexus 9 has officially been removed from the google store (was "Out of stock" for the last 4 months or so though), the Pixel C has not been added to the store, and the nvidia shield tablet is 1. out of stock and 2. only ever available in the 16GB version. Sweden is not a good place for prospective tablet-havers. Are there any reasonable options besides "wait and hope something shows up"?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Phosphine posted:

Welp. The Nexus 9 has officially been removed from the google store (was "Out of stock" for the last 4 months or so though), the Pixel C has not been added to the store, and the nvidia shield tablet is 1. out of stock and 2. only ever available in the 16GB version. Sweden is not a good place for prospective tablet-havers. Are there any reasonable options besides "wait and hope something shows up"?

The Shield has an SD slot and supports adoptable storage. Some goons have a hate-on for adoptable storage but I haven't had an issue with it (so long as you are using a decent quality micro SD card).

Pixel C and Shield are the official good choices IMO. I might imagine myself using a Samsung Tab S2 if I got an amazing deal and could convince myself I didn't really want to ever get updates after all.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Phosphine posted:

Pixel c is showing in the store for me also you can get developer discount.
https://store.google.com/product/pixel_c?sku=_pixel_c_64gb
https://pixel.google.com/developer-discount/
Unless the UK has moved no.Surely you could get it posted.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

mikemelbrooks fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 29, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unless Sweden has moved to New Zealand, that page confirms that the offer isn't valid there.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Rastor posted:

The Shield has an SD slot and supports adoptable storage. Some goons have a hate-on for adoptable storage but I haven't had an issue with it (so long as you are using a decent quality micro SD card).

Pixel C and Shield are the official good choices IMO. I might imagine myself using a Samsung Tab S2 if I got an amazing deal and could convince myself I didn't really want to ever get updates after all.

Yeah, the 16 wouldn't be a total dealbreaker, except for point 1, it being out of stock.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My 2013 Nexus 7 is still plugging away as a couch browser but I might just give it to my Mom to try out as a Kindle reader (she hates the glare though already and refuses to give up her original larger kindle that is nearly dead and can't hold a charge).

I would like a light Nexus 9 that didn't suck and had cell LTE capability and 64GB for $499 instead of paying $650 for a loaded ipad Air2.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 29, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

It's sad, I love Android but I'm torn between that and a Windows tablet. Obviously as an IT guy the Windows tablet would be far more functional, but my tablet usage is fairly pedestrian (SA and YouTube mainly) and the Air 2 is so loving nice.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'd say there's an above even chance that we get a new Nexus tablet at I/O. On the one hand, I'd like an update to my 2013 Nexus 7, on the other hand, I can't really say there's anything wrong with it either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Keyser S0ze posted:

My 2013 Nexus 7 is still plugging away as a couch browser but I might just give it to my Mom to try out as a Kindle reader (she hates the glare though already and refuses to give up her original larger kindle that is nearly dead and can't hold a charge).

I would like a light Nexus 9 that didn't suck and had cell LTE capability and 64GB for $499 instead of paying $650 for a loaded ipad Air2.

FWIW you can get a refurbished 128 GB LTE iPad Air 2 for $600.

And you should get your mom a new Kindle! Unless you mean she has a DX, in which case I guess you're SOL on that one.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

I'd say there's an above even chance that we get a new Nexus tablet at I/O. On the one hand, I'd like an update to my 2013 Nexus 7, on the other hand, I can't really say there's anything wrong with it either.

Probably a Huweii 8 inch.. I'm mildly interested. At the moment I have no tablet, and could see maybe it being nice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Huawei did trademark 7P recently. Since we are reasonably sure they are not doing the next Nexus phone, a tablet seems likely.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
7P is just a prototype name, I'm sure it will end up the Nexus Honor ProTab 7.2" Evo S

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

FWIW you can get a refurbished 128 GB LTE iPad Air 2 for $600.

And you should get your mom a new Kindle! Unless you mean she has a DX, in which case I guess you're SOL on that one.

Yep, she is clinging to a 2009 era Kindle DX (10")

What I don't get (and maybe it's just me)is why all the new Kindle paperwhites are mostly 6" and "tiny." There are some larger Fire tablets like the HD10 but the potential for glare as well as the Amzn Android interface will probably piss her off.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 29, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

Disagree, I think there is a low chance of any hardware announcement at I/O.

Definitely could be a new Nexus tablet by the end of the year, though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rastor posted:

Disagree, I think there is a low chance of any hardware announcement at I/O.

Definitely could be a new Nexus tablet by the end of the year, though.

The good thing about disagreements like this is that whether or not they release it, we're both right!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Since the thread's got some speculative action going, is the e-ink/passive/transflective tablet situation still as dismal as it was a year ago? (or four years ago) It seems that way to me, but it's been long enough that some resurgence is possible.

I'm one of the weirdos who did a rooted eInk Nook out of curiosity, got frustrated and sold it off. Earl is vaporware which deserves its own special flavor of a mockery thread, Pixel Qi is largely relegated to niche industrial usage, and I haven't seen options with an American warranty which also include speakers/storage/app support/etc. It's an awkward situation where OLED/LCD is great for home but we're stuck with Kindle/Nook/oldphone/imports for dicking around outdoors. The current metal+waterproof Nook looks good but it's a dumb choice for eReaders in general not to include audio. Even the old Kindle keyboard is pretty good for playing taqsim or whatever while you binge-read.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Keyser S0ze posted:

Yep, she is clinging to a 2009 era Kindle DX (10")

What I don't get (and maybe it's just me)is why all the new Kindle paperwhites are mostly 6" and "tiny." There are some larger Fire tablets like the HD10 but the potential for glare as well as the Amzn Android interface will probably piss her off.
It's just you.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

It's just you.

Well, it's my mother too, so there's that. Wait till you need reading glasses, sonny.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sweart gliwere posted:

Since the thread's got some speculative action going, is the e-ink/passive/transflective tablet situation still as dismal as it was a year ago? (or four years ago) It seems that way to me, but it's been long enough that some resurgence is possible.

I'm one of the weirdos who did a rooted eInk Nook out of curiosity, got frustrated and sold it off. Earl is vaporware which deserves its own special flavor of a mockery thread, Pixel Qi is largely relegated to niche industrial usage, and I haven't seen options with an American warranty which also include speakers/storage/app support/etc. It's an awkward situation where OLED/LCD is great for home but we're stuck with Kindle/Nook/oldphone/imports for dicking around outdoors. The current metal+waterproof Nook looks good but it's a dumb choice for eReaders in general not to include audio. Even the old Kindle keyboard is pretty good for playing taqsim or whatever while you binge-read.

Yeah the only "real" options for an e-ink full on tablet is still weird chinese noname devices that don't work too well. The problem, really, is that the primary way e-ink can use very little power in active use, is that it doesn't refresh often. A form of e-ink that could handle updating as fast as LCDs do is both very difficult and would completely lose the power benefits when showing the motion.

There's also not all that much interest in real transflective displays these days, because they don't look that hot compared to normal LCDs with backlights.

Keyser S0ze posted:

What I don't get (and maybe it's just me)is why all the new Kindle paperwhites are mostly 6" and "tiny."

It's because the form factor is very portable, and the fact that the size is also very affordable to both the consumer and manufacturers. There are also issues doing the lighting stuff correctly on Kindle DX sized displays, reportedly.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Keyser S0ze posted:

Well, it's my mother too, so there's that. Wait till you need reading glasses, sonny.
You can change the font size.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

fishmech posted:

The problem, really, is that the primary way e-ink can use very little power in active use, is that it doesn't refresh often. A form of e-ink that could handle updating as fast as LCDs do is both very difficult and would completely lose the power benefits when showing the motion.

The Sharp Memory LCD used for the Pebble Time has 30hz refresh and 64 colours, and gets similar daylight visibility (I think Sharp's making transflective ones too now) and battery life to the e-ink Pebble v1. Although actually changing many pixels that fast particularly often would drain it substantially faster, but an interface could be built around minimising that whilst still using it to be more responsive. It'd be good for a higher-grade e-reader with some actually usable Web browsing ability and some other basic tablet features and apps.

Unfortunately, they're not making them over 4.4 inches yet. Bet Amazon could convince them though. The Kindle... Ember.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 30, 2016

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

My Xperia Z2 tablet just got the marshmallow update. Still the best 10" tablet that isn't an iPad.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MikeJF posted:

The Sharp Memory LCD used for the Pebble Time has 30hz refresh and 64 colours, and gets similar daylight visibility (I think Sharp's making transflective ones too now) and battery life to the e-ink Pebble v1. Although actually changing many pixels that fast particularly often would drain it substantially faster, but an interface could be built around minimising that whilst still using it to be more responsive. It'd be good for a higher-grade e-reader with some actually usable Web browsing ability and some other basic tablet features and apps.

That's not e-ink at all though, it's an LCD. The original Pebble watch is also not an e-ink device, as it's also a Sharp Memory LCD, but an earlier version. (Pebble originally promised an e-ink screen when the first kickstarter started, but it turned out they couldn't afford to use one and it wouldn't work for what they wanted to do, so they switched to memory lcds advertised as "e-paper" which sounds the same as e-ink but ain't.) So of course they get similar battery life and visibility - they're two different generations of the same thing.

And while those can respond fast, they still use more power, even in an ereader-type refresh once every 45 seconds when you finish a page situation, than actual e-ink displays.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
3 years later and I'm still chugging away with my launch 2013 N7. The only two complaints I have about it right now are that I picked up a 16gb model back in the day and now I'm feeling the squeeze, and that the battery just isn't what it used to be.

If Huawei's new N7 can keep the sub $250 price point then I might consider an upgrade. Or maybe I'll just ebay a battery and go to town on it. Would it be difficult getting the battery out?

Similarly, I bought my Galaxy S4 phone at around the same time in 2013 and that one's still chugging along great too. 2013 was a great year for me for reliable tech apparently.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

arisu posted:

If Huawei's new N7 can keep the sub $250 price point then I might consider an upgrade. Or maybe I'll just ebay a battery and go to town on it. Would it be difficult getting the battery out?

By all accounts it's a piece of cake. You knife the back off, undo two or three screws, pull a ribbon connector and that's it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

arisu posted:

3 years later and I'm still chugging away with my launch 2013 N7. The only two complaints I have about it right now are that I picked up a 16gb model back in the day and now I'm feeling the squeeze, and that the battery just isn't what it used to be.

Similarly, I bought my Galaxy S4 phone at around the same time in 2013 and that one's still chugging along great too. 2013 was a great year for me for reliable tech apparently.

I want an 8 inch screen, Snapdragon 820 with 4GB RAM, excellent front-facing speakers and a bitchin battery. Not much to ask.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Syrinxx posted:

My Xperia Z2 tablet just got the marshmallow update. Still the best 10" tablet that isn't an iPad.

I recently updated from the Z2 to the Pixel C. I prefer the Pixel now.

The iPad Air 2s are really nice though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm using an insignia 10.1 inch tablet, and it's ok. I had to replace the default keyboard with SwiftKey and scale it to the lowest size tho. Something was weird where I was unable to hit W or P? if I used the default keyboard in vertical mode... It would think I was hitting the nearby keys....

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm using an insignia 10.1 inch tablet, and it's ok. I had to replace the default keyboard with SwiftKey and scale it to the lowest size tho. Something was weird where I was unable to hit W or P? if I used the default keyboard in vertical mode... It would think I was hitting the nearby keys....

Insignia is a Best Buy brand.

Thing's likely a piece of poo poo. :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Insignia is a Best Buy brand.

Thing's likely a piece of poo poo. :(

I was gonna get the acer one but they were out of stock, and this one's only 5.0.1 compared to the 5.1 acer. (also insignia tvs are built in the same warehouse as samsung tvs, so I figured it applied to tablets too...)

I'll play with it for a few days then decide if I'll trade it in for the other one. I just want a cheap $100 32gb 10" tablet.

I saw the expensive 9.7"? samsung tablet on display and the burn-in was :holymoley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Insignia is a rebrand brand. They just buy whatever fits their specs and stick their name on it. For some things it might get you something okay (I imagine an Insignia TV isn't any better or worse than anything else at its price points, but nothing at that price point is especially good), but it might not. It's likely some Chinese thing you can buy by the container on Alibaba.