Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Fubuki captain skills are something I've been trying to work out. I took Superintendent rather than Torpedo Acceleration.

Warspite and Campbelltown were for sale on the Asia server. Any chance they may be coming back to the US? I regret not picking up the Warspite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Genaro posted:

American CVs are, on the whole, worse than their IJN counterparts (Langley excepted).

The USN line is more reliant on dive bombers for damage, and those are pure RNG to hit.

Oh. So trying to turn and dodge when they're coming to drop on you does nothing?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Phanatic posted:

Oh. So trying to turn and dodge when they're coming to drop on you does nothing?

CV player here, dodging dive bombers is always a good idea. If I can line you up right while you have a constant speed, I can use manual drop to vastly increase the chance of the bombs hitting you. If you have a big-rear end battleship, it's possible to guarantee that every single bomb hits you this way. Even a slight angle and/or speed change can help you a lot. It's just that the RNG has a lot more say in this than in torp drops.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

kaesarsosei posted:

The guns on the Hipper and Roon are the same aren't they? And the Hindenberg too? Its just that they get 8, 9 and 12 of them.

Atlanta can be good for getting credits on the double event. This is with Premium and the +20% flag:

Roon upgrades to 50% more fire rate.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Dodging dive bombers usually involves making sure you are making a turn or changing speeds as they do their final approach. That will 90% of the time prevent a manual drop and can disrupt the automatic aim.
If you can dodge them so they come in perpendicular to your direction of movement that is ideal. Note that this is the exact opposite of dodging torps.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
In fact, my favorite use of torp bombers on US strike carriers is to get the enemy ship to start the torp dodging maneuver, which is to say, line up perfectly for my dive bombers, and then keep my torpedo bombers close enough for the enemy to see them but not close enough to shoot them down easily. Then they either have to use up their repairs early to put out the fires, after which I go in with my torps, or they wait for my torp attack while the fires rage on their ship and are constantly worrying about the position of my torps instead of shooting at my team.

my dad fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 30, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Also known as the Midway Strategy.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

The Rev posted:

Fubuki: Torpedo Acceleration or no acceleration? This captain will remain on the Fubuki permanently, using the Type 93 torps (67kn, 10km).

I have torpedo Acceleration on my Fubuki captain, and it makes the Type 93 Torpedoes really hard to use. The speed is obviously great, but the Fubuki is too much of a pig to escape quickly once you get within firing range, and in the off chance you're spotted its almost always game over. The other DD I play is the Gremyaschy which also has 8km torpedoes, but it's so much faster and more maneuverable that playing in close like that is much easier.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Redeye Flight posted:

Also known as the Midway Strategy.

Launch uncoordinated piecemeal attacks and score fatal hits by pure dumb luck?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Sperglord Actual posted:

Launch uncoordinated piecemeal attacks and score fatal hits by pure dumb luck?

...you mean this ISN'T how I'm supposed to play CVs?

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Checks out as an IJN DD cap'n.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How long do dubloons take to show up? I bought some and have the paypal recipt but nothing. I already tried relogging.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How long do dubloons take to show up? I bought some and have the paypal recipt but nothing. I already tried relogging.

It could take a few hours, so if they haven't appeared within a day I'd complain

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

So, having gotten the Des Moines, i decided to make a start on the Russian Cruiser line.

Up to the chappy now and they do seem.. spammy. It's like an entire line of clevelands. If the Cleveland had excellent velocity guns. Don't do a great deal of damage though.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Blinks77 posted:

So, having gotten the Des Moines, i decided to make a start on the Russian Cruiser line.

Up to the chappy now and they do seem.. spammy. It's like an entire line of clevelands. If the Cleveland had excellent velocity guns. Don't do a great deal of damage though.

Some time you do get nice dispersion rolls even on the Nagato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXYiP637-Bw

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Blinks77 posted:

How do you like the Des Moines? Thats probably going to be my next Tier X. And what did you pick for the last gunnery mod? RoF? Range? Something else?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Also don't forget that the US cruisers have better radar.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
What do you think are the best branchs of DD/CA/BB for agressive gameplay ?

Don't care much about lower tier and it needs to have good anti air because I hate planes.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 1, 2016

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Krogort posted:

What do you think are the best branchs of DD/CA/BB for agressive gameplay ?

Don't care much about lower tier and it needs to have good anti air because I hate planes.

I think for all 3 lines the United States are better built for this. On the bad side, shell velocity tends to be pretty low so you have to get closer.

In the case of Destroyers, you have a high rate of fire, good AA, and long-lasting smoke. The Fletcher in particular is excellent.

The Battleships are pretty much always stronger in AA than their Japanese counterparts. They're slow (until tier 8) but make good brawlers.

The Pensacola is a disaster because of its high detectability and meaningless armor, but it still has strong guns and can hold its own. I'm playing the New Orleans right now and while its not a great ship, you can sneak up and really pound enemy cruisers. Its very satisfying to see a 5 digit damage number pop up from one cruiser broadside.

I could have sworn the New Orleans only had 9km range on its search radar and now it says 11 something. Was this buffed or was I just not paying close enough attention before?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lakedaimon posted:

I could have sworn the New Orleans only had 9km range on its search radar and now it says 11 something. Was this buffed or was I just not paying close enough attention before?

It did have 9km, I remember being a little annoyed that it was less than the NO detection range.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

If they are going to encourage me to farm torpedo hits for the monthly mission, at least I had a good few seconds in this game:

Almost 2k games in and I think thats the first time I got the hat trick all at once.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
So am I just too dumb to carrier or is the Zuiho completely, hilariously outmatched in its tier? Bogues shoot down my fighters with no losses and then I can be lucky to get through a single strike.

Like seriously, what am I supposed to do here.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

So am I just too dumb to carrier or is the Zuiho completely, hilariously outmatched in its tier? Bogues shoot down my fighters with no losses and then I can be lucky to get through a single strike.

Zuiho got heavily screwed over in terms of fighters in the last patch that tweaked carrier loadouts. Zuiho's top fighters are listed as 162 kts/1210 hp/60 loadout/44 dps. Meanwhile, Bogue's top fighters are listed as 156 kts/1090 hp/83 loadout/43 dps. So Bogue's fighters are already doing effectively the same damage and can stay in the air far longer, along with coming in larger squadron sizes, in exchange for slightly more hp and speed. They'd almost seem somewhat balanced, except for one tiny detail - Bogue's top fighters are, as normal for virtually every carrier, T5, whereas Zuiho's top fighters, for some ungodly reason, are T6. This means that the US fighters get the Dogfighting bonus against the same tier IJN carrier's.

Incidentally, Ryujo of course has the same top fighters as Zuiho, and they're inferior in literally every way to the Indy's top tier fighters, but at least they don't get the Dogfighting bonus stacked on top of their normal stats.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

We had a pink Atago on our team so I decided to look him up.

I didn't even know it was possible to be this bad. He even has a T9 US DD :stare:

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Eight hundred battles in and, well...

https://warships.today/player/1018037544/na/Lock_Knight

I probably should not play with boats.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Lock Knight posted:

You seem to do OK in the Aoba. Maybe you just prefer ships with really fast shells?

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Lock Knight posted:

...Only class you so better then average damage is battleships. Anyways 800 battles is not many. What do you think is your problem? Are you cant hit the enemy? Are you getting caught in open and get killed?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ArchangeI posted:

You have to learn to play cat and mouse with your bombers, trying to get them where the fighters aren't and frequently suicide your fighters to hold off their fighters to get yours back home.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Naturally the game started with Shepherd bitching about how I'm bad matchmaker luck.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Nothing quite like a game with a T6&7 carrier vs T6&7 carrier, and the T7 on my team is afk.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

Naturally the game started with Shepherd bitching about how I'm bad matchmaker luck.

Well, let's be honest, you ARE. :smugdog:

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

I started on the american trees in the beginning and i didnt have a problem aiming, but after 500 games into the other trees i cant believe people put up with the velocities/arcs american boats have :v: I have to re-adjust and im losing really badly with them.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Fizzil posted:

I started on the american trees in the beginning and i didnt have a problem aiming, but after 500 games into the other trees i cant believe people put up with the velocities/arcs american boats have :v: I have to re-adjust and im losing really badly with them.

After playing the Zao I can't aim poo poo with the other cruisers it's guns are so good the other feel terrible.
With CL it's OK because of the Rof but other CA are hell to play.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Khisanth Magus posted:

Nothing quite like a game with a T6&7 carrier vs T6&7 carrier, and the T7 on my team is afk.

Hey, at least he served as a distraction. Try 2 Bogues(at least one was AS) against a Bogue and a Zuiho(me), with our Bogue torpedoing himself near the beginning of the match. Only managed two torpedo hits the whole game, though with them constantly leaving their fighters parked on top of me I at least got 20 plane kills. Also an idiot in a Kolberg who spent half the game shadowing me claiming he was providing AA support. Finally claimed to realize he'd forgotten it has effectively no AA and wandered off into the battle.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

How do you like the Des Moines? Thats probably going to be my next Tier X. And what did you pick for the last gunnery mod? RoF? Range? Something else?

It's got it's joys. Basically i find it best if you play Ambush with it. Because the shells arc high you can generally easily hide behind islands and such and drop AP shells on unsuspecting buggers for loads of Citadels. I still prefer the Zao, as it's more effective at any range and when the opponent is trying to avoid your shots but.. the Des Moines isn't a bad ship.

Plus it murders flights of aircraft like nothing else. Like... they just melt away entirely.

As to the guns, i went range. The thing fires fast enough as is and it makes it even easier to drop shells on people.

In further news, i don't like the Chappy. The Shchors kind of worked at tier 7, but 152mm at tier 8 really doesn't. You basically just throw around shells, praying for fires and that's pretty much all you can do. Very much a support boat.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
https://warships.today/player/1018360115/na/Redeye_Flight :(

I'm worse than pretty much anyone I've ever seen. I think on the whole my win rates are trending up but really even when I wind up having fun in the game I'm playing worse than everyone else and I don't know how to improve.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Just watched a Yammy on my team back to back games have a player rating under 350. He's got 500+ games in the ship, not sure how he has credits to fund his 41% win rate. He actually went backwards out of the spawn and in both games never made it forward.

https://warships.today/player/1014164379/na/Floadting__target

Maybe he sucks at BB because he never actually played any before the Yammy? How is this possible, it seems he started at Tier 6 on every ship line...

Military flag gives 5% exp, commander, credits. Finally a flag worth flying.

Also, under events their is a new event featuring the Texas... though it seems like you have to have the Texas to do them, not earn the Texas for free. You can also buy the Texas in many flavors... I will be doing this. The one that comes with a month of premium seems to be a decent value. Premium is like 12 bucks for a month and it's only 5 bucks more than the ship that comes naked.

jownzy fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 2, 2016

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Did you get the military flag for donating to the charity, Fisher House? I thought they were giving them out only when the event was over.

Also, WG picked a very good veteran charity. Somebody did their homework.

I'm very close to grinding the credits for the Hatsu. It will be good to get out of the Mutsuki.

I play this game in streaks and there is no rhyme or reason to any of it. I'll do well for a few days and I can't seem to lose and then I crash for a few days and can't do well for anything.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

MoraleHazard posted:

Did you get the military flag for donating to the charity, Fisher House? I thought they were giving them out only when the event was over.

Also, WG picked a very good veteran charity. Somebody did their homework.

I'm very close to grinding the credits for the Hatsu. It will be good to get out of the Mutsuki.

I play this game in streaks and there is no rhyme or reason to any of it. I'll do well for a few days and I can't seem to lose and then I crash for a few days and can't do well for anything.

It should be granted just by completing the mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

jownzy posted:

Maybe he sucks at BB because he never actually played any before the Yammy? How is this possible, it seems he started at Tier 6 on every ship line...

234 battles in the Atlanta, @ 1369xp average, 184 battles in the Atago @ 1444 xp average, then doubloons to convert the xp to free xp.

Looks like he should also have had spare xp to convert from the Minekaze, Cleveland, possibly the Amagi, and he likely went the Yamato first, and convert 500 games of xp from that as well, which should be about enough to pour into the other lines, especially since you don't need to waste the XP on squadron upgrades and plane upgrades when skipping through the carriers, or guns, fire control, engines, and torpedoes on anything else. Just a straight line through the compulsory hulls.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 2, 2016