Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Trying to explain to the DC fanboys

This makes you seem very reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Trying to explain to the DC fanboys that BvS is underperforming even though it's made over $850m worldwide reminds me of this clip:

The people who don't agree with you are fanboys for The Wrong Side, obviously.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What this reveals is that the actual profitability is irrelevant, as you are concerned that Superman is not being presented with enough offerings and sacrifices.

Literal worship of the Superman character.

Wow ok, now you're LITERALLY comparing me to one of the Israelites offering trinkets to the Golden Calf. Really? Really??

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

computer parts posted:

Except for the parts involving Batman and Wonder Woman, who coincidentally are the stars of the upcoming films.

I would not be surprised if the Battfleck solo movie easily makes $1 billion.

For sure, that (along with some of the visuals) is where I agree the film succeeds. I think the Batman solo will be great, mostly because of Affleck's involvement. The fact that it won't be helmed by Snyder will certainly help.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

The fact that it won't be helmed by Snyder will certainly help.
It'll help in that people might be less likely to hate it immediately from announcement sight unseen, at least.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I've seen exactly one DC fanboy on these forums, and I classified them as such simply because they regularly expressed pleasure at reading DC's current comic output.

Nobody defends the cinematic achievements of Snyder's Superman movies because they like "DC". Some weirdos just see "DC" and "Snyder" as spectral outgrowths of the terrible corruption of "not fun".

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 30, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The thing about that opening weekend list is that it gets more interesting to talk about the further down you go.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

TetsuoTW posted:

It'll help in that people might be less likely to hate it immediately from announcement sight unseen, at least.

I think he's a director that does great visuals but isn't all that interesting otherwise. I absolutely feel that having Affleck helm the next Batman film will be a huge step up from Snyder.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I think he's a director that does great visuals but isn't all that interesting otherwise.

This is just something that doesn't hold up to scrutiny. People are still debating Man of Steel, like they will continue to debate BvS. These are some of the few superhero movies that will be remembered beyond their release year.

Snyder makes good and interesting superhero movies.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 30, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ok, but the last trailer was full of jokes. Surely you're not so naive as to think that is a coincidence are you??

loving time traveling editors always inserting scenes from the future into our present trailers!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Man of Steel made almost all its money back through product placement, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the same is the case with BvS. People seem to forget that there's more to what makes a film successful than box office (ASM2 is a weird outlier in that Sony didnt have merchandising rights so a much larger importance was put on box office).

Most of the doomsaying about this film's performance seems to be coming from people who desperately want the film to be considered a flop (I'm sure WB wishes it could have made more money but that could be said of every film). We'll never know how successful BvS really was because we don't have access to the sales WB made through merchandise and product placement nor do we know what their internal metrics and expectations were. All we have to go on are the studio's actions going forward, and they don't seem particularly spooked by the film's performance.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I felt like BvS suffered from all the JL stuff (especially the surveillance video bit) and would've preferred to see Snyder do Man of Steel 2 without those elements. Not sure how that reconciles with everyone's favorite parts of BvS being Batman and WW though - Superman having more space to himself would've helped his presence. It's like the anti-Iron Man 2 where the tie-in prep for subsequent movie universes went over better than the sequel components to the original movie. Wonder how much Snyder wanted those elements in there to that extent, common opinion seems to be that he has much more control than for example the Marvel directors do but he also bit off a bit too much plot for the time he had if that's the case - Director's Cuts notwithstanding. I'd be mildly surprised if he volunteered all the WW/Doomsday stuff at the expense of the Clark Kent scenes.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is just something that doesn't hold up to scrutiny. People are still debating Man of Steel, like they will continue to debate BvS. These are the few superhero movies that will be remembered beyond their release year.

Don't disagree re: Snyder, but not every superhero movie gets to star Superman either. I like the Hellboy movies quite a bit and they have an intriguing director but no one ever remembers those. People (*internet people) debate about Ang Lee's Hulk and Whedon's Avengers all the time though.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 30, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Wow ok, now you're LITERALLY comparing me to one of the Israelites offering trinkets to the Golden Calf. Really? Really??

Well, there is a bit of nuance to it. Nerds are complaining that WB, as caretakers of the Temple Of Superman, are not doing enough to 'spread the good word'. Therefore WB is responsible for the decline in sacrifices presented to Superman.

Making roughly the same amount as Guardians Of The Galaxy is a failure to nerds not for any objective reason, but because the blood is being offered to a racoon. Superman is more powerful and righteous than a racoon, so he should be receiving more blood.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

This is just something that doesn't hold up to scrutiny. People are still debating Man of Steel, like they will continue to debate BvS. These are the few superhero movies that will be remembered beyond their release year.

Snyder makes good and interesting superhero movies.

That sure is a weird anecdotal value judgement. I've never seen anyone talking about Man of Steel outside of CineD, so I guess that means it's objectively terrible.

(I don't actually think this, it's better than BvS in my opinion.)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

That sure is a weird anecdotal value judgement. I've never seen anyone talking about Man of Steel outside of CineD, so I guess that means it's objectively terrible.

(I don't actually think this, it's better than BvS in my opinion.)

Oh it's there all right. For many nerds, MoS is a wound that will never heal. Touch it, and the whole body convulses.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Electromax posted:

Don't disagree re: Snyder, but not every superhero movie gets to star Superman either. I like the Hellboy movies quite a bit and they have an intriguing director but no one ever remembers those. People (*internet people) debate about Ang Lee's Hulk and Whedon's Avengers all the time though.

I saw a guy wearing a Ghostbusters 2 t-shirt the other day, I can't recall ever seeing anyone wearing an Ang Lee Hulk shirt. :v:

For many nerds, MoS is a wound that will never heal.

Oh god, we're back to the Excalibur references

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Oh it's there all right. For many nerds, MoS is a wound that will never heal. Touch it, and the whole body convulses.

(Some) nerds don't like it, therefore it's good doesn't really follow. It's quite possible for nerds and non-nerds alike to agree a film isn't very good, as evidenced by BvS.

Those nerds may complain about the film until the end of time, but again that's par for the course of nerddom.

Mazzagatti2Hotty fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 30, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

(Some) nerds don't like it, therefore it's good doesn't really follow. It's quite possible for nerds and non-nerds alike to agree a film isn't very good, as evidenced by BvS.

Those nerds may complain about the film until the end of time, but again that's par for the course of nerddom.

You're losing sight of what you're arguing. Snyder is an interesting director. His movies can't be dismissed as pretty and vacuous, because otherwise they'd just be forgotten. If you say to a bunch of nerds that MoS is good, they tend to be flabbergasted, like some orthodoxy has been violated. That's not how people treat "uninteresting" movies.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I'd rather watch that and films like Godzilla '14 than Winter Soldier or the Avengers.

It seems unlikely that anyone can truthfully hold this opinion.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

You're losing sight of what you're arguing. Snyder is an interesting director. His movies can't be dismissed as pretty and vacuous, because otherwise they'd just be forgotten. If you say to a bunch of nerds that MoS is good, they tend to be flabbergasted, like some orthodoxy has been violated. That's not how people treat "uninteresting" movies.

Shockingly, people don't forget about the prequel to one of the most expensive films of all time (and itself the 13th most expensive film of all time) when that second film has only just come out.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 30, 2016

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

I don't agree with the premise that how nerds react to something says anything at all about how objectively interesting that thing may be. I don't even think I agree that something can be "objectively" interesting in the first place, remember this started by me saying "I feel".

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Superman is more powerful and righteous than a racoon, so he should be receiving more blood.

Makes sense to me.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
It is interesting that the film made £850mil and it still is perceived by some (rightly or wrongly) as a failure. The critical response surely is a contributing factor, but then again nobody calls Transformers a financial failure (just an everything else-one)

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that in 2016, when your main competition is regularly hitting the £1 billion mark with it's top tier films, that DC won't be a little disappointed that BvS didn't do the same. Especially when Dark Knight did it as well. Because this is their top tier film. Their top two stars with the novelty of being on screen for the first time. It should be an event film if ever there was one. The only thing above that is a full on Justice League movie. All evidence points to DC putting all of their eggs and the chicken that laid it into this basket. They must have been expecting mammoth numbers.

But a failure? Nah. But I'll be interested to see how Justice League does. DC has a rep now for films that are disappointing (again, rightly or wrongly) And poor word of mouth will probably impact future films more than this one.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

CityMidnightJunky posted:

It is interesting that the film made £850mil and it still is perceived by some (rightly or wrongly) as a failure. The critical response surely is a contributing factor, but then again nobody calls Transformers a financial failure (just an everything else-one)

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that in 2016, when your main competition is regularly hitting the £1 billion mark with it's top tier films, that DC won't be a little disappointed that BvS didn't do the same. Especially when Dark Knight did it as well. Because this is their top tier film. Their top two stars with the novelty of being on screen for the first time. It should be an event film if ever there was one. The only thing above that is a full on Justice League movie. All evidence points to DC putting all of their eggs and the chicken that laid it into this basket. They must have been expecting mammoth numbers.

But a failure? Nah. But I'll be interested to see how Justice League does. DC has a rep now for films that are disappointing (again, rightly or wrongly) And poor word of mouth will probably impact future films more than this one.

I think most people who do so are conflating "is a failure" with "failed to perform as well as expected", the latter of which is obviously a fair claim to make.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Hello hi, Godzilla 2014 is a fabulous movie that is better made than the entire Marvel output. How are you

I say this with Winter Soldier being my favorite Marvel movie.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Burkion posted:

Hello hi, Godzilla 2014 is a fabulous movie that is better made than the entire Marvel output. How are you

My favorite scene is the one where they slowly zoom in on someone's shocked face.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

computer parts posted:

The biggest point of evidence why this rumor is bullshit is that no one talked about it until after the Flash's director left.

Well seeing a fellow director leave their project due to 'Creative differences' with a studio that's supposedly in panic mode might not exactly endear Wan to the idea of carrying on with his movie.

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I think most people who do so are conflating "is a failure" with "failed to perform as well as expected", the latter of which is obviously a fair claim to make.

I mean, yes. It's not that 850 is a 'failure', it's that in relative terms 1billion is the benchmark. It's not unreasonable that WB figured they take the MAN OF STEEL success, add Batman to the mix and they'll break that barrier. Its even worse given that its their two biggest characters, rather than tertiary ones.

The listed budget is a low 250 million. However last year it was reported that it had grown to 400 for production alone. Throw in marketing costs and all the rest of it and you're looking at a very generous 500-600 million.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

My favorite scene is the one where they slowly zoom in on someone's shocked face.

That's strange, some of my favorite scenes are the quiet lingering shots of total devastation that frame perfectly how small and insignificant humanity is in the wake of gods.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Burkion posted:

I think Godzilla was decent, but every single human character in the movie was awful.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrVenkman posted:

Well seeing a fellow director leave their project due to 'Creative differences' with a studio that's supposedly in panic mode might not exactly endear Wan to the idea of carrying on with his movie.

Yeah, so why didn't we hear about it after that one?

Also reminder that "panic mode" is from another rumor that was debunked within 48 hours of it spreading.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oasx posted:

I think Godzilla was decent, but every single human character in the movie was awful.

That's not a flaw that's a feature.

Next you're going to complain Godzilla wasn't in the movie long enough.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

What would be untruthful about it?

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
God the defense of "This thing is bad and terrible to watch on purpose therefore it's good." is misused so much in this thread.

And I liked Godzilla '14. But Taylor Johnston getting the movie instead of Cranston was a loving bullet in the movie's leg for the whole runtime.

Chickenfrogman fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 30, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Chickenfrogman posted:

God the defense of "This thing is bad and terrible to watch on purpose therefore it's good." is misused so much in this thread.

And I liked Godzilla '14. But Taylor Johnston getting the movie instead of Cranston was a loving bullet in the movie's leg for the whole runtime.

Cranston's character didn't leave the film.

He was just embodied by Godzilla.

Realistically, what would his character have done after confirming the existence of the MUTOs? Besides be yet another person who hangs out at the base with the General.

He had no military training and would not have lent himself to actually being the protagonist at all. This is something a lot of people don't consider when they make this complaint.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The rumour about James Wan comes from Devin Faraci, and I don't remember him being right about anything DCEU related so far, El Mayimbe has better track record in that front.

And speaking of El Mayimbe, his sources tell him that Ben Affleck and Geoff Johns have full creative control over the Batman solo movie

Oh and he's also saying that George Miller could be directing Green Lantern Corps

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Huh, I just remembered that I called this CA:CW plot point a month ago:

Note that Rumlow was spared because he was being set up to become Crossbones in Civil War and I assume that Klaw will be a villain in Black Panther so there's a good chance they'll get killed in those films.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Trying to explain to the DC fanboys that BvS is underperforming even though it's made over $850m worldwide reminds me of this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ypaXNVPkSg

The problem is that someone comes in and makes an argument that the movie is a financial dumpster fire. People then rebut that if it's a financial dumpster fire, please pass the matches. The arguing back and forth of this slowly pendulums out of control, as internet arguments are wont to do, to the point where someone else then comes in to correct the record because they believe people are now arguing that the movie was a warm campfire around which friends are toasting smores.

This is further complicated by the fact that people slowly but surely start to inject movie quality arguments into the monetary success argument, which leads to the general idea that people are posting numbers to show that money=quality. Which of course inevitably leads people to point out the success/failure of Transformers/Dredd and how it's all a stupid argument.

Can we all just agree that while Batman v Superman underperformed expectations it rather clearly made enough money for the Joker to make at least 1.5 cash bonfires? Consequentially, WB execs are definitely concerned about the fill levels of their DC money bin, but it is more in the context of being down a couple inches rather than worried about rogue kids coming through to skateboard in the bin.

Please less talk about the inflation adjusted hooker and blow money of studios and more about the sons of Martha or how this time Devin Faraci is totally not pulling rumors out of his rear end and the world is totally ending tomorrow.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I like Sons of Martha. They should call Batman and Superman that if they ever form a tag team.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

I liked when Godzilla puked nuclear hellfire directly down the bad monsters throat and burned its head off its body.

Say what you will about Taylor Johnsons' performance, but the film managed to combine all these beautiful shots of the devastation that the monsters left in their wake, the utter helplessness of the human characters against them and some of the best giant-monsters fighting each other scenes that I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Burkion posted:

Cranston's character didn't leave the film.

He was just embodied by Godzilla.

Realistically, what would his character have done after confirming the existence of the MUTOs? Besides be yet another person who hangs out at the base with the General.

He had no military training and would not have lent himself to actually being the protagonist at all. This is something a lot of people don't consider when they make this complaint.

Most people don't really think about this kind of weird poo poo though. It's not a universal truth that Godzilla is Bryan Cranston because that's weird.

I do like the idea and I do love the film, but you can't expect everyone to share the same reading.

• Locked thread