Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

I love you more than a little bit right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
An old carp that remembers the taste of Dwarf.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Crimson Harvest posted:

Nice work. I only ever put temporary stuff in soil layers, I feel like my dwarfs deserve stone walls after I get established.

Building in soil avoids the problem of having unstockpiled rocks everywhere on your main fort levels trashing the place up, and also helps use up any surplus stone you have when you finally wall and floor it. I also like having everything on the surface z level so I can monitor most of the fort on one screen.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The bar turned out really nice. Only got 7 rooms available so hopefully some massive troupe of elven artists doesn't drop by for an indefinite stay like my last fort. All I need is a chest to store my cups and instruments now. Well, that and some cups and instruments.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Building in soil avoids the problem of having unstockpiled rocks everywhere on your main fort levels trashing the place up, and also helps use up any surplus stone you have when you finally wall and floor it. I also like having everything on the surface z level so I can monitor most of the fort on one screen.

Yeah I don't get how some people build towerlike forts on multiple levels. It's so much more pleasing to see everything on three or four floors spread out with your guys moving around like ants.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah I don't get how some people build towerlike forts on multiple levels. It's so much more pleasing to see everything on three or four floors spread out with your guys moving around like ants.

It's also pleasing to be able to play the same fort for a significantly longer time because it's not making GBS threads itself due to terrible pathing from a terrible horizontal layout.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I don't care about pathing because I'm not an obsessive. Your fortress should look like a huge shanty town anyway.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
When I'm plopping rooms down I don't think, "How easy would this be for my dwarfs to navigate." I'm thinking, "I hope it takes 12 hours for a dwarf to walk down this solid gold hallway filled with solid gold statues to go work in the dirt farming mushrooms."

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
And that's why your forts look like terrible ad hoc ants nests.

Also in a game where every release has reduced the time until fps death, considering things like pathing costs is a part of playing.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The game has never lagged for me.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

So you're either playing on some futuristic supercomputer, or you don't stick with any individual Fort very long.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gibbo posted:

And that's why your forts look like terrible ad hoc ants nests.

It has an entryway shaped like a wild boar's open mouth with a cinnabar drawbridge tongue and symmetrical moat

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm definitely from the ad hoc ant nest school of design, I just throw poo poo where it fits. I like my forts to feel organic and properly laying poo poo out is a lot of work. I usually abandon my forts before fps is a huge issue.

So I finally got a decent migrant wave and set up a militia squad. I nearly forgot how exciting an adventure navigating the military menu was. I also already have a human mercenary that came fully geared which is one of the many perks of making the tavern priority one when you start a fort. I made a cute little barracks/training area to hold em all. Probably inefficient to have the two facilities separate, but I like the way it looks.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

You also don't get a proper sense of organ and blood trails in a vertical fortress.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Buschmaki posted:

The game has never lagged for me.

works on my machine

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
How big are your forts actually getting though? If I go over 100 dwarfs on a 3x3 without using every fps trick in the book my frames drop to poo poo. Granted I have an older CPU but it isn't hard to understand why people play the way they do. If toady spent 6 months optimizing or made some serious headway on a fully multi-threaded DF id be ecstatic. That won't happen though and I've made peace with that. His patreon is over 4 grand a month so it seems like everyone else has as well. Hes definitely earned that cash with the time and work hes done I just wish he had co programmer that didn't have his head in the clouds to balance him out a bit.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So when's the next LP, or did Fogwall murder interest in DF LPs forever like it murdered everyone's hopes and dreams.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think folks were mostly just waiting for the release to settle. I certainly have an interest in a new LP.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Spanish Matlock posted:

So when's the next LP, or did Fogwall murder interest in DF LPs forever like it murdered everyone's hopes and dreams.

Wow, what happened with Fogwall? I never got around to reading it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I turned everyone into vampires and caused a loyalty cascade, while also making every dwarf miserable, so fistfights would break out constantly and the participants had to be quarantined to prevent the disease of violence from showing

Which would be fine, but I also spent like three months and many updates posting nothing but combat logs before finally doing fall and winter in like 2 updates total, which probably killed a lot of interest in the lp

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FalloutGod posted:

How big are your forts actually getting though? If I go over 100 dwarfs on a 3x3 without using every fps trick in the book my frames drop to poo poo. Granted I have an older CPU but it isn't hard to understand why people play the way they do. If toady spent 6 months optimizing or made some serious headway on a fully multi-threaded DF id be ecstatic. That won't happen though and I've made peace with that. His patreon is over 4 grand a month so it seems like everyone else has as well. Hes definitely earned that cash with the time and work hes done I just wish he had co programmer that didn't have his head in the clouds to balance him out a bit.

There have been optimization passes before, actually. It's just not a priority, which is actually fairly sensible in a game that isn't feature complete yet; the only problem, of course, being that DF will never be feature-complete so occasionally something has to give.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There have been optimization passes before, actually. It's just not a priority, which is actually fairly sensible in a game that isn't feature complete yet; the only problem, of course, being that DF will never be feature-complete so occasionally something has to give.

DF will be feature complete once Dwarves make Human Programmer programming Dwarf Fortress inside of Dwarf Fortress.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

ninjewtsu posted:

I turned everyone into vampires and caused a loyalty cascade, while also making every dwarf miserable, so fistfights would break out constantly and the participants had to be quarantined to prevent the disease of violence from showing

Which would be fine, but I also spent like three months and many updates posting nothing but combat logs before finally doing fall and winter in like 2 updates total, which probably killed a lot of interest in the lp

I sometimes mention fogwall just so one of the overseers (and by that I mean ninjewtsu) will succinctly summarize their crimes.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
E: not actually funny, disregard

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 30, 2016

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The ant nest expands. I've done some major bedroom expansions and given most of my dwarves a proper room with some storage. I also added in some small things like a burial area, the beginnings of a jail for my justice system, another still, and a small hospital. I tested out building a paved road, but the texture is completely hosed up so I may just use flooring for the roads. I've also ramped up food/drink production to start building my stockpile in case of a large siege. Now I get to do the fun stuff like flooring the whole fort now that I have some jobless migrants. I'm starting to feel the size of the area I dug out so I may start building some basic facilities like bedroom complexes and whatnot on the lower z levels.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

The ant nest expands. I've done some major bedroom expansions and given most of my dwarves a proper room with some storage. I also added in some small things like a burial area, the beginnings of a jail for my justice system, another still, and a small hospital. I tested out building a paved road, but the texture is completely hosed up so I may just use flooring for the roads. I've also ramped up food/drink production to start building my stockpile in case of a large siege. Now I get to do the fun stuff like flooring the whole fort now that I have some jobless migrants. I'm starting to feel the size of the area I dug out so I may start building some basic facilities like bedroom complexes and whatnot on the lower z levels.

nice tileset ya wuss!!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Are the third party programs like Dwarf Therapist and DFHack stable now, and the game itself for that matter? I'm holding out on playing the new version until all the crippling bugs have been ironed out.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

For weeks and weeks and weeks. I'll update the links at the top.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

scamtank posted:

For weeks and weeks and weeks. I'll update the links at the top.

Fantastic, time to read up on the new features.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I think if I'm to start another DF LP, I'll be stricter in enforcing time limits.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Is there a stable LCS port for android?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How much space do you need for dancing? Wiki just says "some space".

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Dongattack posted:

How much space do you need for dancing? Wiki just says "some space".

When you make a world it randomly generates styles of dancing so some dances only require 2 dwarves while others require more. Usually you need a 2 by (how many dancers are dancing) amount of space. At least thats how I think it goes.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Some involve square-dancing-ish formations and things. If you look at the locations list, the "dancing area in common room" stat shows how much uninterrupted space there is and below a certain threshold it'll be yellow and above that it'll be white (and red if there's no space at all). I just make sure it's big enough to get out of the yellow range.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Danny Glands posted:

I think if I'm to start another DF LP, I'll be stricter in enforcing time limits.

Yeah, if someone if producing a good update every other day or so, but only moving through a month at a time, that's fine, you just have to make sure the updates are regular.

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not what you would call an artist.
I'd be up for another LP. I'll let someone else take care of fortress defences next time, though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I would love it if the LP began this month. Be the first one I participated in since... I think I was in gemclod as a dwarf and I started a thread for one of the ones that ran for a few years before petering out (It was the one on the cliffs between the waterfalls, can't remember the name?)

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

PublicOpinion posted:

Some involve square-dancing-ish formations and things. If you look at the locations list, the "dancing area in common room" stat shows how much uninterrupted space there is and below a certain threshold it'll be yellow and above that it'll be white (and red if there's no space at all). I just make sure it's big enough to get out of the yellow range.

Thanks!

Do i need to make instruments? Making a instrument seems absurdly convoluted even by DF standards and looks like a pretty unfun process.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Instruments are randomly generated so can be a pain in the arse to make with multiple material components or incredibly simple single component pieces you can make at one workshop with a single order. Or you can just buy a bunch off traders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Aleth posted:

Instruments are randomly generated so can be a pain in the arse to make with multiple material components or incredibly simple single component pieces you can make at one workshop with a single order. Or you can just buy a bunch off traders.

I like the trader option, thank you.