Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

lite_sleepr posted:

That looks really good.

Also, how the piss do I beat that stupid ice thing at the bottom of the lift where you meat Siegwald? That thing is like a 10x deadlier Vordt.

List your gear I want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Wagrid posted:

It is illegal to mention an insane theory and then not post it, fyi.
I can't find the link but the theory is that one of the names NK went by after being banished (his true name probably having Gwyn in it) is Faraam, the god of war worshipped by the Forossans and Lion Tribe in DS2. The evidence is surprisingly tight:
  • Pretty much the only entity ever referred to as a "wargod" or "God of War" is Gwyn's firstborn. The other two are Faraam and the Nameless King. NK is pretty heavily implied to be the firstborn. OK, but that doesn't prove he's Faraam, except...
  • The Faraam set is one of the sets that made it into DS3 from DS2 and the higher-resolution textures show that the helmet has a relief of a god fighting a dragon.
  • Gwyn's firstborn trained the Dragonslayers like Ornstein. Ornstein's motif is the lion, from his helmet to the Leo Ring. The Forossan Knights were known as the Lion Kights, and the guy in DS3 who wears Faraam armor is referred to as a Lion Knight. The Lion Tribe dresses like the Nameless King and the NK's crown even looks vaguely like a mane. The Lion Tribe Shield reappears in DS3 as the "Wargod Wood Shield."
So the guy the Forossans and Lion Tribe worshipped just happens to be a god of war associated with lions and dragonslaying, who dresses like the Lion Tribe members, wields lightning, and is the god that the Dragonslayer (Ornstein or one of his men) set out to find. And there was a god of war named Faraam who was worshipped by guys who called themselves Lion Knights.

So NK is Faraam. He's not nameless at all!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

If you are so anti-hacker offline mode is there to hold your hand.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Just wanted to let you all know that Sacred Flame is amazing. Just got a one hit kill on a Darkmoon. Also fun for butting in on a fight to take down the guy with half health.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Tallgeese posted:

No, that's just how he is.

Do you work for FROM or Steam or something? Why are people asking if you killed that hacker guy?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
He's Batman

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Anyone around level 130 on pc and up for some mound-maker shenanigans? I've been trying to get some vertebrae naturally but I'm rarely finding anything that's less than 2 on 1 at this point and only have gotten a handful of kills in those situations. I'm down with just trading rolls off cliffs for vertebrae if you're interested. We can do the password thing, either pm me or add me on steam.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Carl Seitan posted:

Do you work for FROM or Steam or something? Why are people asking if you killed that hacker guy?

Hahahahahah Tallgeese working for FROM.

That's rich.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Nakar posted:

I can't find the link but the theory is that one of the names NK went by after being banished (his true name probably having Gwyn in it) is Faraam, the god of war worshipped by the Forossans and Lion Tribe in DS2. The evidence is surprisingly tight:
  • Pretty much the only entity ever referred to as a "wargod" or "God of War" is Gwyn's firstborn. The other two are Faraam and the Nameless King. NK is pretty heavily implied to be the firstborn. OK, but that doesn't prove he's Faraam, except...
  • The Faraam set is one of the sets that made it into DS3 from DS2 and the higher-resolution textures show that the helmet has a relief of a god fighting a dragon.
  • Gwyn's firstborn trained the Dragonslayers like Ornstein. Ornstein's motif is the lion, from his helmet to the Leo Ring. The Forossan Knights were known as the Lion Kights, and the guy in DS3 who wears Faraam armor is referred to as a Lion Knight. The Lion Tribe dresses like the Nameless King and the NK's crown even looks vaguely like a mane. The Lion Tribe Shield reappears in DS3 as the "Wargod Wood Shield."
So the guy the Forossans and Lion Tribe worshipped just happens to be a god of war associated with lions and dragonslaying, who dresses like the Lion Tribe members, wields lightning, and is the god that the Dragonslayer (Ornstein or one of his men) set out to find. And there was a god of war named Faraam who was worshipped by guys who called themselves Lion Knights.

I genuinely doubt this was intended, but holy poo poo, it's actually not a garbage theory! It's pretty good!*

* just like OCELOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT(te)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Carl Seitan posted:

He's a hacker too, he just draws the line at "ruin people's characters/accounts" :cheeky:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've been avoiding info about this game to avoid spoilers so I'll only be reading responses to this post, but I was about to pick it up and saw steam reviews commenting on people getting banned from online just for using PS4 controller drivers or using shadowplay, and also hackers able to get OTHER people banned by giving them impossible stats.

I use a PS4 controller with DS4Windows, and I like to use shadowplay to record funny stuff. Can I get some perspectives on how dangerous this is? I really wanted to do a coordinated co-op playthrough after my first character, and co-op is a big part of these games for me, so getting banned would be extremely sad. I don't have any other controllers and I really don't want to touch the rube goldberg machine that is mouse and keyboard controls in dark souls.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Nakar posted:

Yeah, this seems fairly plausible actually.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Your Computer posted:

He's a hacker too, he just draws the line at "ruin people's characters/accounts" :cheeky:

One of the ones who actually digs around in the game files/memory to figure out things in the first place. Funny enough, this inclines you to actually be more responsible with this sort of thing, when it actually takes effort and knowledge on your part.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I genuinely doubt this was intended, but holy poo poo, it's actually not a garbage theory! It's pretty good!*

* just like OCELOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT(te)

Huh?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Here's my Dark Souls theory: Solaire is real and strong and he's my friend.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Nakar posted:

That'd be a great theory if it weren't so hilariously, blatantly obvious that the Nameless King is Gwyn's Firstborn.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

He's both.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Why can't he be both

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

"He's both" was like the entire point of the post you quoted

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Pwnstar posted:

Canon.

Alabaster White posted:

That'd be a great theory if it weren't so hilariously, blatantly obvious that the Nameless King is Gwyn's Firstborn.

You dummy.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Faraam doesn't start with "Gwyn", theory debunked

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy

Digirat posted:

I've been avoiding info about this game to avoid spoilers so I'll only be reading responses to this post, but I was about to pick it up and saw steam reviews commenting on people getting banned from online just for using PS4 controller drivers or using shadowplay, and also hackers able to get OTHER people banned by giving them impossible stats.

I use a PS4 controller with DS4Windows, and I like to use shadowplay to record funny stuff. Can I get some perspectives on how dangerous this is? I really wanted to do a coordinated co-op playthrough after my first character, and co-op is a big part of these games for me, so getting banned would be extremely sad. I don't have any other controllers and I really don't want to touch the rube goldberg machine that is mouse and keyboard controls in dark souls.

I'm 1.5 playthroughs in, use a ds4/ds4windows and haven't had any problems other than ds4windows occasionally being a huge turd. people claiming that it's getting them banned are probably full of it

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yeah that's the theory, he's all of them. So he's basically been worshipped by badasses throughout history and then their kingdoms get destroyed and he's written off as some kind of mad unknown deity.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
my theory is that dark souls is a videogame with swords+skeletons

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

don't give up, skeleton

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I'm pretty much a noob at dark souls but have been enjoying 3. A couple questions.

I attuned the first aid spell to my character. I'm an assassin and the only other spell I have is spook. But when I try to use first aid I just thrust my staff forward and then my guys looks confused like something went wrong and nothing happens.

Also I really enjoy both shield breaking and parrying but I cannot figure out when to know whether or not I can parry an enemy or not. Sometimes I can parry an enemy and it works fine, other times no matter the timing I just cannot parry that enemy. I'm assuming that certain enemies are too big to parry?

Same goes for backstabs, sometimes I just cannot backstab an enemy.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 30, 2016

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Alabaster White posted:

His point is that he's both.

E:fb

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Pwnstar posted:

He needed your dumb-rear end help to not die to a maggot shining a light from its arse, then he set himself on fire, to death.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Heal Aid is a Miracle, you need a Talisman or Sacred Chime to cast it. Check the vendor in Firelink for a "Talisman."

Spook is a Sorcery. Sorceries tend to run off Intelligence and require a staff. Miracles require Faith. You don't need a ton of either to cast buffs and heals but you do need catalysts to cast them.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Point blank sunlight spear, 60 fth, firstborn's/lighning clutch.

350 damage

What the gently caress

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

He needed your dumb-rear end help to not die to a maggot shining a light from its arse, then he set himself on fire, to death.

I died because I wore a mimic on my head while dancing so we deserve each other

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

You know honestly at this point I'd rather there just not be a janky ban system. I don't care if more people would boost themselves to make silly poo poo quicker, you'd see more fun things done than legit lame things I'd like to think from previous experience.

Reset back to 0 FROM, there would be zero reason to actually be scared of these script-kiddie shitters if you weren't possibly gonna get chopped by the unfeeling robot axeman thanks to their screwing around.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

NTT posted:

350 damage

What the gently caress

Some say that's a recipe for four digits of damage even on a weak mob, I say you got the results I did and something is wrong. Got all but the darkmoon miracle on my faitbro too.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Thank you whoever just summoned my Sword Master cosplay and stood in the background while I tried to solo the Dancer. Even though I only get her to 60% health it made the process of getting Chaos Blade on this SL23 character worth while.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

NTT posted:

350 damage

What the gently caress
from loving hates all ranged options this time around, minus great chaos fireball I guess

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

I attuned the first aid spell to my character. I'm an assassin and the only other spell I have is spook. But when I try to use first aid I just thrust my staff forward and then my guys looks confused like something went wrong and nothing happens.

try equipping a talisman or a chime instead of a staff. staff is for casting sorceries, chime/talisman is for casting miracles. I think on the attune spell screen it tells you what type of spell it is. also on the spell description probably.

e:f;b

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Digirat posted:

I have no idea what shadowplay really is never having used it, but I've been using DS4windows to make my DS4 work from day 1. The people saying they're getting banned just for controllers are leaving out some other info I'm thinking.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

argondamn posted:

Thank you whoever just summoned my Sword Master cosplay and stood in the background while I tried to solo the Dancer. Even though I only get her to 60% health it made the process of getting Chaos Blade on this SL23 character worth while.
"Weird, this phantom is usually way better at this."

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Has anyone figured out the bug where you just don't get summoned ever at all as a Blue Sentinel, Watchdog of Farron, or Aldrich Faithful? I'd love to actually participate in those covenants but I'm stuck invading people with the red orb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I decided to try out the Cleric's Candlestick on a new Sorcery-focused character to see how outrageously bad it is. At 25 INT, a +4 Cleric's Candlestick was doing 45 damage per hit to Abyss Watchers. Such is the fate of all who dare to use something other than a raw Astora's Straight Sword or a heavy Dark Sword for 9/10ths of the game.