Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Thanks guys.. Yeah doing the trick with F12ing the WAN IP worked for setting up bridged mode again :toot:

Glad I don't have the Optik TV!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

telus gave me 50gb more bandwith a month. so generous! i'm back at 200 from what used to be like 250 or 300+ :smith:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Acer Pilot posted:

telus gave me 50gb more bandwith a month. so generous! i'm back at 200 from what used to be like 250 or 300+ :smith:

Well, I for one, would like to thank Big Brother for raising the ration of chocolate from thirty-two grams, to twenty. :woop:

Monopoly is choice
Freedom is bandwidth caps

I can't think of a third one. :shrug:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 15, 2016

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"Rogers is good" ?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
We've always been at war with the CRTC

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

infernal machines posted:

I live in a mid-rise in Toronto and I have 250/20 through Rogers. This sounds more like a Hamilton problem to me.

My partner and I don't need TV, what's the best internet for excessive youtube watching that we can get around Toronto, infernal? IIRC you live near me, too.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I guess it depends on how excessive is excessive, but if it's just for streaming media Start.ca has some solid options between 30 and 100Mbit that run over Rogers cable. I've set up a few friends with them now and they haven't had the same peak-congestion or downtime issues of some other providers. Even with constant HD streaming, I don't know that you be going over 300GB very often, but there are unlimited packages too.

I'd still recommend a cable service over VDSL here unless you're very sure about the DSL infrastructure in the neighbourhood. There's too much variation block to block and even house to house, to say how fast or reliable that would be.

I just went with Rogers because I was already paying for the balls out 150 package from Teksavvy and Rogers started offering 250/20 unlimited for the same price.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Beanfield probably provides the most excessive Youtube watching packages, but is only in very limited areas (mostly Liberty Village).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I didn't mention them because usually if you're on net with Beanfield, Telus, or Bell fibre you already know about it.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I could throw a rock and hit Liberty Village, but they're not in my building. Just scheduled a start.ca installation after you said it. Thanks.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So what are some good Netflix alternatives for Canadians, if any exist? My last working American IP just got blocked and after trying about a dozen from various sites online I think I'm ready to concede a loss. I've watched most of the content I care to watch on Canadian Netflix; and losing access to Animaniacs, Parks and Rec, and Justice League blows. I can only watch Breaking Bad, Community, and Cosmos so many times, and I doubt Netflix is going to slack off blocking DNS anytime soon.

This is bizarre, I'm fully willing to pay for an alternative to cable. Heck, I'd pay twice my current Netflix rate for access to global content. I even buy music since it's often more convenient than :filez: these days. But without Netflix turning a blind eye to unblockers anymore, the same mightn't be true for streaming video anymore.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
If you've got an Apple TV and an American iTunes account you could get a month of HBO Now and binge all their shows. (Game of Thrones, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire) I think I heard something about other devices getting HBO Now soon if you don't have an Apple TV box.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Nah, just a regular LG SmartTV. It has Amazon video service, but it looks like it's just the rent/buy for individual titles rather than the subscription based service.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Shomi?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
watchseries.li

There's no good answer. TV is a mess, especially in Canada. You won't at all find a solution like the music industry has to offer. To even get close you'd have to maintain several producer channel accounts with like hbo, showtime, hulu. Then there's the distributor channels like shomi from Rogers if you want a better range of TV selection. Past that, studios are starting to delve into content hosting themselves, like Paramount.

That's five 9.99 bills a month just to have a selection scale close to what you could get with music on apple music.

I don't know if others do it, but Eastlink cable has a big 'digital' bundle where you automatically get a subscription to hbo, showtime, etc etc. You just have to use your eastlink credentials. That might be the closest thing we get.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

BGrifter posted:

If you've got an Apple TV and an American iTunes account you could get a month of HBO Now and binge all their shows. (Game of Thrones, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire) I think I heard something about other devices getting HBO Now soon if you don't have an Apple TV box.

CraveTV has all of those as I understand it.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

CraveTV has all of those as I understand it.

Only the HBO back catalog is available on Crave, nothing currently airing (http://www.cravetv.ca/list/607) vs HBO Now that has relatively all their titles, new and old.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

37th Chamber posted:

Only the HBO back catalog is available on Crave, nothing currently airing (http://www.cravetv.ca/list/607) vs HBO Now that has relatively all their titles, new and old.

Plus if you pay for Crave you're giving Bell money encouraging them to make the problem worse. Never give anyone money for Crave or Shomi.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

37th Chamber posted:

I honestly didn't know that.

I have Crave as part of my tv package but I've never used it due to it's horrible as gently caress interface.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Zigmidge posted:

I don't know if others do it, but Eastlink cable has a big 'digital' bundle where you automatically get a subscription to hbo, showtime, etc etc. You just have to use your eastlink credentials. That might be the closest thing we get.

However getting EastLink is never the answer as they are absolute garbage.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Still my best option. Its them or NorthernTel (aka Bell) DSL.

Eastlink's had issues, but they're still (usually) good.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I've never had a problem with Eastlink that wasn't the fact that they aren't fibre, but then I didn't even know they existed outside of Nova Scotia.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

senae posted:

I've never had a problem with Eastlink that wasn't the fact that they aren't fibre, but then I didn't even know they existed outside of Nova Scotia.

They're fairly big in my part of Ontario - Sudbury, North Bay, Timmins and all in between. Its a good market for them, as nobody else gives a poo poo about us.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Dealing with EastLink in Alberta is decidedly awful. I have a client in Grand Prairie on EastLink and holy moly is that connection a giant pile of poo poo.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Well, on the plus side, we're not the US where the 2 largest internet providers are merging :v:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Pfft. You say that like "conspiracy to form a price-fixing cartel" doesn't count as a merger. :rolleyes:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

Pfft. You say that like "conspiracy to form a price-fixing cartel" doesn't count as a merger. :rolleyes:

I prefer the term "blissfully ignorant" thank you

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Migishu posted:

Well, on the plus side, we're not the US where the 2 largest internet providers are merging :v:

Who is merging?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Arsten posted:

Who is merging?

Charter and Time Warner.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Charter and Time Warner.

Those aren't the two largest. And even after a merger, they will only hold #2 to Comcast.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Arsten posted:

Those aren't the two largest. And even after a merger, they will only hold #2 to Comcast.

I'm aware but if you can think of another major cable merger, by all means.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

mediaphage posted:

I'm aware but if you can think of another major cable merger, by all means.

The recently dropped Comcast and TW merger comes to mind, where it was the #1 and #2/#3 provider merging.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Mister Macys posted:

At least Bell and Rogers pretend to compete in many of the same cities. How does an effective federal regulator not stooh I am a sweet summer child ain't I?

e: This ain't canpol

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 2, 2016

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

http://business.financialpost.com/investing/market-moves/bce-to-buy-manitoba-telecom-services-in-3-9-billion-deal

I heard from some friends working there that they were doing poorly, but I didn't realize it was that poorly.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Coxswain Balls posted:

http://business.financialpost.com/investing/market-moves/bce-to-buy-manitoba-telecom-services-in-3-9-billion-deal

I heard from some friends working there that they were doing poorly, but I didn't realize it was that poorly.

:confused: Evidence suggests they were still profitable, though income was trending downwards and they were looking at making cuts, which I guess is what your friends were seeing.

Maybe charging 30-40% less than your competitors do elsewhere in the country while also trying to upgrade expensive infrastructure actually wasn't sustainable? Or maybe the shareholders just wanted to cash out or think they can do better as Bell shareholders.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah, that was more along the lines of what I was seeing with pay cuts and layoffs/"restructuring". I wasn't really following the business much more than what I've heard through the grapevine, since they've been around since forever ago and I'd just assumed they'd stay as a constant.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Apparently, Rogers has transitioned to IPV6 over the past few weeks. I'm not sure if it's available to TPIA's yet

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Coxswain Balls posted:

Going to suck for Manitoban's if it goes through. With MTS in the market, other providers had to give Manitoba competitive rates. But, that'll end quickly. Nobody I know is happy about that, whatsoever.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Better get on those Saskatchewan phone plans while you still can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Some mother fucker on FB, "well their plans are expensive because people make more in ontario."

What the gently caress?