Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
You know what we need? A new DQM, but one that has... like... ALL of the monsters. You know how many monsters from the other games are completely ignored?

I really wanted Werewolves and Scorpions from DQ1. :smith:

EDIT: And Magicians. I guess it'd be weird since they're supposedly human, but come on... you can't see their faces and they have glowing eyes. They're obviously undead, like Skeletons.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The last one had a ridiculous amount (over 800) of monsters, but a lot of them were gimmick special monsters that seemed neat, but had no real function. This new one cuts out a bunch, but still supposedly has more than 600, including new ones.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I haven't played anything past DWM2. I heard the later games are different and less emphasis on going on a classic DQ adventure. I also loved the rogue-ish aspects of DWM 1 and 2's randomly generated worlds.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BabyRyoga posted:

Holy poo poo. It appears that when you use super-fusion in Joker 3, you can give size 2, 3 and 4 monsters size 1 monster bodies. In the previous game, you could only size up smaller monsters, not shrink down big ones. Incoming mini Estarks and Slime Cancers!

The competitive value of this is insane, the customization on monster traits allows for WAY more options this time around. Multiplayer will be a clusterfuck.
That's going to be awesome. Teeny tiny boss monsters all day long :kimchi:

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008

In Training posted:

Japanese PSN store has a 15% off everything promotion for the rest of March. Is DQB playable without knowing Japanese? I got through the demo ok but some quests tripped me up trying to figure out what I needed to do. Wondering if anything gets too involved later.

There are only a few times in the game I needed to look up the answers for. I can't read very much Japanese, but most everything is fairly simple to figure out.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Skunkrocker posted:

I haven't played anything past DWM2. I heard the later games are different and less emphasis on going on a classic DQ adventure. I also loved the rogue-ish aspects of DWM 1 and 2's randomly generated worlds.

The DQM games are really less Dragon Questy Adventure and more super-tuned alternatives to Pokemon. The monster trees to reach 100 are more linear, so there's always that, but If you don't intend to play the multiplayer the game is probably 60%+ lost on you. If you do, however, it's probably the most balanced and complex competitive monster battler type game around.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Speaking of which, i'm wrecking pretty hard right now with a speed dancer strat

Got a high speed skeleton who uses heavy damaging physical attacks, a dancer who raises tension and using the falling star samba to deal damage with 3 moves a turn, a tiger who also goes 3 times a turn, has 1500 speed stat, and a trait that always makes him go first (except against monsters that are small size and also have the trait) who howls and uses paralyzing or sweet breath, and also has falling star samba to deal damage, and a cactus tank that taunts and heavily punishes non-magical attacks with a combination of traits that causes the attackers to take a percentage of the damage they dealt, and then deals a magic attack in addition to that damage which heals for half of what it does (up to 100). He also has the trait that prevents him from dying until the end of the round when lethal damage is dealt. So, he basically absorbs everything, then the dancer casts the re-raise spell on him before he dies at the end of the turn. Meanwhile, the others are dropping stars on everyone. Falling star samba is a dance that hits random targets 4 times for up to 200 damage each based on the users speed stat, and is EXTREMELY hard to mitigate. I keep fighting people who bring in their Metal and Platinum Kings to tank only to have them take 30-50 damage a hit from the stars. They usually die in a couple of casts, with anywhere from 4-6 casts going off per turn, based on how the AI controls my dudes. Absolutely obliterated 3 highly ranked people in the GP today (ranked 500 or lower) from my 10,000th ranked spot, because I entered with the wrong team the other day and lost all my battles. I like that the game lets you chose if you want to fight opponents around your rank, an easier rank, or a much higher rank this time around, which is how I smashed those top rankers. Maybe I can still finish in the top 100 this week even with the first day losses.

The amount of abilties in DQM games compared to the main series is like literally 10 to 1 now; it's pretty nuts. There are weird ones that do stuff like reverse the turn order, or shuffle the turn order, or instantly end the turn on the spot. The first 2 can also be triggered randomly at the start of the battle or any given turn by traits, and there is all kinds of other turn order fuckery based on monster sizes, several other traits, and moves that are intended to always at the end of a turn. I don't even know what half the abilities and spells do without reading the descriptions in the in-game library. I think the abilities that deal damage to attackers are pretty OP this time around (my cactus dude once killed an entire enemy team with like 6000 returned damage in one round, and just got reraised at the end), but luckily the falling star samba which is also over powered doesn't trigger them

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 29, 2016

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

The DQM games are really less Dragon Questy Adventure and more super-tuned alternatives to Pokemon. The monster trees to reach 100 are more linear, so there's always that, but If you don't intend to play the multiplayer the game is probably 60%+ lost on you. If you do, however, it's probably the most balanced and complex competitive monster battler type game around.

Well now they are. DWM 1 and 2 had that classic feel to it, and felt less like Pokemon.

Come on Squarenix, get it together and send the US a new DQM game! I'll buy whatever system it comes out on! :(

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

BabyRyoga posted:

Speaking of which, i'm wrecking pretty hard right now with a speed dancer strat

Got a high speed skeleton who uses heavy damaging physical attacks, a dancer who raises tension and using the falling star samba to deal damage with 3 moves a turn, a tiger who also goes 3 times a turn, has 1500 speed stat, and a trait that always makes him go first (except against monsters that are small size and also have the trait) who howls and uses paralyzing or sweet breath, and also has falling star samba to deal damage, and a cactus tank that taunts and heavily punishes non-magical attacks with a combination of traits that causes the attackers to take a percentage of the damage they dealt, and then deals a magic attack in addition to that damage which heals for half of what it does (up to 100). He also has the trait that prevents him from dying until the end of the round when lethal damage is dealt. So, he basically absorbs everything, then the dancer casts the re-raise spell on him before he dies at the end of the turn. Meanwhile, the others are dropping stars on everyone. Falling star samba is a dance that hits random targets 4 times for up to 200 damage each based on the users speed stat, and is EXTREMELY hard to mitigate. I keep fighting people who bring in their Metal and Platinum Kings to tank only to have them take 30-50 damage a hit from the stars. They usually die in a couple of casts, with anywhere from 4-6 casts going off per turn, based on how the AI controls my dudes. Absolutely obliterated 3 highly ranked people in the GP today (ranked 500 or lower) from my 10,000th ranked spot, because I entered with the wrong team the other day and lost all my battles. I like that the game lets you chose if you want to fight opponents around your rank, an easier rank, or a much higher rank this time around, which is how I smashed those top rankers. Maybe I can still finish in the top 100 this week even with the first day losses.

The amount of abilties in DQM games compared to the main series is like literally 10 to 1 now; it's pretty nuts. There are weird ones that do stuff like reverse the turn order, or shuffle the turn order, or instantly end the turn on the spot. The first 2 can also be triggered randomly at the start of the battle or any given turn by traits, and there is all kinds of other turn order fuckery based on monster sizes, several other traits, and moves that are intended to always at the end of a turn. I don't even know what half the abilities and spells do without reading the descriptions in the in-game library. I think the abilities that deal damage to attackers are pretty OP this time around (my cactus dude once killed an entire enemy team with like 6000 returned damage in one round, and just got reraised at the end), but luckily the falling star samba which is also over powered doesn't trigger them

How would you rate Joker 3 compared to the remakes?

I'm really on the fence on if I want to buy the game since I know 0 japanese.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BabyRyoga posted:

It's stuff like this that really, really makes me want another English DQM game.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Deki posted:

How would you rate Joker 3 compared to the remakes?

I'm really on the fence on if I want to buy the game since I know 0 japanese.

You mean the remakes of 7 and 8? Or 3DS DQM 1 and 2? The main games and the monster series are completely different. If you are thinking about picking up Joker 3 for the story, you probably won't have very much fun with it. It's really about building a team and fighting other people with that team. Compared to the other monsters games on the 3DS, it's a forward-moving meta where each one has balance and system improvements. They cut a lot of the fat out of Joker 3, so there are far fewer monsters, but it has been tuned and balanced to be an improvement over 2 game play wise. I must say though, if you can't read the menus and ability names and such, you'll probably have a really hard time when you get wrecked by someone's monsters and don't know which abilities they are using to figure out a counter.

Also, gently caress gently caress gently caress. I just went 27-0 with the star droppers in the GP, bringing my weekly total to 27-3 because of my mess up on day 1. I would have almost certainly taken 1st(!!) place with a score of 30-0 and the team i'm using, since it contains a few of monsters that people don't normally use. The way the weekly GPs work this time is you have 10 tickets to fight 3 battles against opponents, and you can use them at any rate you wish. Looking at the rankings, i'll probably still be top 10 with my 27-3 score, but there could always be people waiting till the last day to make some team of completely underused monsters, which will give them more points. Might not get a chance to win a GP again, next week the competition will be rough.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

If you are thinking about picking up Joker 3 for the story, you probably won't have very much fun with it. It's really about building a team and fighting other people with that team.

I don't know why you keep saying this. DWM1 and 2 had great stories. :/

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Skunkrocker posted:

I don't know why you keep saying this. DWM1 and 2 had great stories. :/

If you mean the gameboy ones, then the aim of the game was completely different back then, as there was no network play.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Precisely. That's what I want. A DQ game where you have monsters. And only monsters. I know you can recruit in like DQ 8 or 9 or something but it isn't the same.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Welp, Stardroppers finished 11th place in the first GP, out of how many 10s of thousands I don't know. I would have been 2nd if not for that first day. I don't know if I can even get top 100 this next week, i've seen some real ridiculous strats and seemingly invincible teams in free play.

I guess there is always next Dragon Quest Monsters game to try and take 1st place in :cheers:

I feel like I could have done a service for DQ games in America, if I had finished in 1st or 2nd place with that American flag next to my name in a sea of nothing but Japanese flags.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 4, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Skunkrocker posted:

Precisely. That's what I want. A DQ game where you have monsters. And only monsters. I know you can recruit in like DQ 8 or 9 or something but it isn't the same.

you can play this way in V but you need humans for a bunch of story sections

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

you can play this way in V but you need humans for a bunch of story sections

Exactly, and that's not fun for me personally. I want just monsters, because they're the most interesting characters in the DQ games. The humans were always whatever, but the monsters... their designs told a story in themselves.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
A few months back I bought a Retron 5, which is a great machine except for the fact that the company who makes it is run by nitwits, and I have a chance to pick up the Super Famicom versions of DQ 1&2, 3, 5 and 6 for very cheap... sadly, the English-language DQ NES games are not nearly so affordable. That being the case, what are the best translations for each game? I am ever so slightly leery as I recall one of the DQ2 translation patches having a game-breaking bug in it, and I heard some further concerns about DQ3.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
For DQ1 and 2, the GBC versions. For 3+, just get the mobile or DS editions.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Crimson Harvest posted:

For DQ1 and 2, the GBC versions. For 3+, just get the mobile or DS editions.

I just realised that I was ambiguous. I meant the best translation patches. I have just about every Western DQ game out there apart from the very expensive later NES games, but the Super Famicom games are very cheap and Retrons can load translation patches and save them individually.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
How did folks like Dragon Quest Heroes (PC version, specifically)? DQ + Dynasty Warriors sounds extremely like my jam, but I'm waiting for it to come down in price a bit.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ghost of Starman posted:

How did folks like Dragon Quest Heroes (PC version, specifically)? DQ + Dynasty Warriors sounds extremely like my jam, but I'm waiting for it to come down in price a bit.

It's a really solid game that I thoroughly enjoyed. I think the dub is a little too tryhard with the funny accents, but that's pretty much my only complaint.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ghost of Starman posted:

It is definitely more of a DQ game with some DW flavor, so if DQ is your jam it's worth it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Hokuto posted:

It's a really solid game that I thoroughly enjoyed. I think the dub is a little too tryhard with the funny accents, but that's pretty much my only complaint.

are the accents more egregious than other recent DQs?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

are the accents more egregious than other recent DQs?

Nope, identical or very similar.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Nemo2342 posted:

It is definitely more of a DQ game with some DW flavor, so if DQ is your jam it's worth it.

Oh, that's interesting - I would've figured it was more DW with some DQ flavor. How's it different from standard Dynasty Warriors gameplay?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

Oh, that's interesting - I would've figured it was more DW with some DQ flavor. How's it different from standard Dynasty Warriors gameplay?

The gameplay is more focused on defending various points on the map than going out and killing things, though you'll be going out and killing things anyway. You can pick up monster medals which you can place around the battlefield to spawn friendly monsters which can help hold off enemies too, which you can use while you defend another point or find hidden treasure in the map or something.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I really liked the defense objectives, they really can make some stages tense because you have to balance out defending the objective and stopping the flow of reinforcements before you're overrun.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Ghost of Starman posted:

I said this earlier, but I bought it on a whim for PS4 and it's a whole ton of fun.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
For the SFC DQ games I think DQ3 might only have one full translation (I haven't checked for a long time) while DQ6's best translation might've been the one by DeJap?

Ghost of Starman posted:

I've only put a few hours in to it due to other games stealing my focus but aside from it using some of the more recent/awful voice acting and rewrites (like Alena the Coked Russian Valley Girl) it's good. Gameplay's good and I wish it had co-op.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I've been replaying DWIII GBC and I miss these spell names, they were if nothing else consistent. I remember picking up DQIV DS and being totally confused what spell did what. I guess this is how Final Fantasy fans felt when they stopped calling stuff Ice -> Ice 2 -> Ice 3 and started adding suffixes to the base spell (Blizzard -> Blizzara -> Blizzaga)

On the other hand, the localization is extremely dry and we miss the constant terrible puns in every NPC's dialogue.

Part of me wishes they would just use the Japanese names for spells as they're largely made up fantasy words, if I recall correctly.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I've been replaying DWIII GBC and I miss these spell names, they were if nothing else consistent. I remember picking up DQIV DS and being totally confused what spell did what. I guess this is how Final Fantasy fans felt when they stopped calling stuff Ice -> Ice 2 -> Ice 3 and started adding suffixes to the base spell (Blizzard -> Blizzara -> Blizzaga)

On the other hand, the localization is extremely dry and we miss the constant terrible puns in every NPC's dialogue.

Part of me wishes they would just use the Japanese names for spells as they're largely made up fantasy words, if I recall correctly.

Yeah. The Japanese DQ spell names remind me of Phantasy Star spell names. I actually prefer them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I've decided to check out the series and maybe go on a marathon of sorts through the games. What would you all say are the best ways to experience each Dragon Quest game?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Dr. Fetus posted:

I've decided to check out the series and maybe go on a marathon of sorts through the games. What would you all say are the best ways to experience each Dragon Quest game?

If you're playing for the first time, I'd suggest playing the mobile ports of 1-3. They're very pretty and well written, and they're much more forgiving in terms of saving than their predecessor versions.

For 4, I still have a soft spot for the NES game but you could probably get away with mobile or DS for that. Probably DS for 5 and 6. There's a version of 7 coming out for 3DS that will be very refined over the original PS1 game. I can't vouch for any non-PS2 ports of 8, and the only version of 9 is for DS.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Hokuto posted:

For 4, I still have a soft spot for the NES game but you could probably get away with mobile or DS for that.

The NES version of DQ4 is one of my all time favorite games, but I have to admit that the DS version is better. You can control your party members in Chapter 5 if you so choose, which means you actually can use all those spells and abilities you are learning. The party is also balanced better so there are no characters who are useless (e.g. Nara in the NES version). And there are all the extras built into the DS version including the postgame.

The trade off is you lose the ability to twink your party by cheesing the casino, which is fun to do on the NES if you're a repeat player but which you probably shouldn't do on a first playthrough.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hokuto posted:

If you're playing for the first time, I'd suggest playing the mobile ports of 1-3. They're very pretty and well written, and they're much more forgiving in terms of saving than their predecessor versions.

For 4, I still have a soft spot for the NES game but you could probably get away with mobile or DS for that. Probably DS for 5 and 6. There's a version of 7 coming out for 3DS that will be very refined over the original PS1 game. I can't vouch for any non-PS2 ports of 8, and the only version of 9 is for DS.

8 will be on 3ds by the end of the year

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Draile posted:

The NES version of DQ4 is one of my all time favorite games, but I have to admit that the DS version is better. You can control your party members in Chapter 5 if you so choose, which means you actually can use all those spells and abilities you are learning. The party is also balanced better so there are no characters who are useless (e.g. Nara in the NES version). And there are all the extras built into the DS version including the postgame.

The trade off is you lose the ability to twink your party by cheesing the casino, which is fun to do on the NES if you're a repeat player but which you probably shouldn't do on a first playthrough.

If you have the hardware, there is a Game Genie code for DWIV (NES version) that lets you control your people in the last chapter. The game is balanced on the principle that the AI controls them, though, so it may make things too easy; I can't say as I've tested it myself.

By the way, has their been any announcement on DQVII and/or VIII for the 3DS? I heard "Summer '16" over and over for months, and now that summer is approaching I haven't seen or heard anything, and I am quite looking forward to 7.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
DQIV on the DS was my entry into the franchise and I loved it, so that gets my vote.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Draile posted:

The NES version of DQ4 is one of my all time favorite games, but I have to admit that the DS version is better. You can control your party members in Chapter 5 if you so choose, which means you actually can use all those spells and abilities you are learning.

You don't need all those spells, Cristo will handle everything with Beat and Defeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dr. Fetus posted:

DQ1 is alright
DQ2 ranges from "gently caress You" to "this poo poo's still awful"
DQ3 is solid
DQ4 is also very good (though the remakes have awful 'accents' for some areas)
DQ5 is very good
DQ6 is very good
DQ7 is very long (and decent)
DQ8 is alright
DQ9 is the implementation of a co-op system I've wanted in RPGs ever since I was a kid
DQ10 is a Japanese MMO